[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here have any experience with the Dodge/Chrysler slant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (46KB, 480x426px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 480x426px
Anyone here have any experience with the Dodge/Chrysler slant 6 225CI
I'm getting a truck with this motor but don't know much about it. I've checked out some forums but they just say the same shit over and over
>it's indestructible
>it's good on gas
But no one ever goes into much more detail
What are some of its faults and benefits?
Can they be made into performance motors?
>>
being a slant motor, the intake and exhaust manifolds can be tuned very well resulting in incredibly good gas flow and a good breathing engine. better gas flow can accomodate a bigger carb resulting an more horsepower. Because of its low profile from being slanted, the centre of gravity was lower than contemporary cars resulting a better handling car than rivals.

Remember that it is a 50 year old engine design and the performance is going to be limited to decent driving characteristics but nothing high performance. Maintenance can be a bitch on the left side of the motor where the engine comes over the block, so engine mounts, coilpack, dizzy and sparkplugs are a little bit of a bitch.

Other than that they are incredibly simple, if you can't fix something on a 225 you suck at wrenching. What is there to say? its literally the basics of an engine and nothing else and nothing more. On a truck it may be underpowered but thats it. Parts availability is as hard as any other car but not impossible to find old or refurbished parts
>>
>>13975215
>What are some of its faults and benefits?
Simple, well-built, repairable power for shitboxes. Back in the 70s you could buy one for the price of a ham sandwich and smog your way to work every day; if it broke, any retard could fix it and there were 8 trillion of them in the junkyard.

Protip: it's not 1975 anymore, so they're not as reliable or as cheap/easy to maintain anymore. They're still simple to fix, however, if you have time and wherewithal.

>Can they be made into performance motors?
You can waste money increasing the performance of anything.
>>
>>13975271
>>13975283
Thanks guys
Also what are some basic mods that can be done to increase performance?
>>
Junkyard turbo is a popular mod on them. They say it keeps the same gas milage for the most part.
>>
>>13975383
Can the motor even handle a super charger or turbo. I'm not super knowledgeable on these old truck motors, seems kinda dangerous
>>
>>13975396
then you should worry more about learning how to keep it running as-is than turning it into a giant paperweight and selling it as a "project truck ran when parked" on craigslist
>>
>>13975370
tuned length intake headers, 4 barrel carb, 2 1/2" exhaust, performance exhaust header pipes and electronic dizzy for real basic horsepower increases that may up it by 30-40 hp

other than that, standard stuff that involves pulling the engine apart like increased compression, mild cam, lightened internals, ported heads etc.

but remember, its an old ass engine so dont bother too much. its only going to be an increase from 130 hp to maybe 180 and you'll end up spending thousands with not much noticeable improvement from the drivers standpoint. There are much better bases that give more from modifications.
>>
>>13975215
That things got a sweet belt driven turbo on it
>>
>>13975383
have fun trying to turbocharge a carb
>>
>>13975404
Sucks they can't be made into real performance motors, everyone has a v8 and a slant 6 seems kinda exotic. Also I would like to keep the stock motor for originality.
>>
>>13975419
Look, you can make decent performing slant 6's, seeing drag videos on youtube it looks like a fully worked turbocharged 225 can run 11s but that looks like its limits. If you really like the platform, go for it and you can have decent driveability and nice performance. just dont expect it to outperform any period v8's or anything new and enjoy it for what it is and what it can do.
>>
>>13975475
Yeah, thanks
>>
>>13975404
4 barrel carb on a 225....u fukkin wot?
>>
>>13975545
What's the problem?
>>
>>13975370
Swap in a 360.
>>
>>13975271
>the intake and exhaust manifolds can be tuned very well resulting in incredibly good gas flow and a good breathing engine
Uh, no. Even by the standards of its age, the slant 6 did not "breathe good"

It was indestructible and cheap. Nothing more can be said about it.
>>
>>13975599
Nothing really. A small one would be ok. You just said 4bb and the first thing i invisioned was a boomer putting a 600cfm edelbrock on with a adaptor plate.
>>
>>13975650
>Can be tuned
pro tip. Nascar had some slants...you can modify them to flow well.
>>
>>13975638
I might swap it out later for a 318 or some other dodge motor but I wanted to know what could be done with the current motor. I was hoping it would be tunable to the point I wouldn't need a swap but it seems that's out of the question unless i want to spend a shit ton of money
>>
>>13975682
Unless u want something hot, i woukd just keep the slant. As long as its in good shape to start with. And u maintain it. Expect 300k on those motors at least.
>>
>>13975676
>Nascar had some slants
In their own class.

The Hyper-Pak made less than 150hp from its 170ci. It takes more than headers and intakes to make a slant 6 breathe well.
>>
>>13975705
>it take more to make a slant breathe well
Like what ?
>>
>>13975705
If u read his post he went on to say for real performance u needed ported heads and all the things u would expect. U need to read posts a tad better m8
>>
>>13975726
like selling your shitbox and buying something worth tuning
>>
>>13975767
Rude desu lad
>>
>>13975790
truth bombs senpai

at the end of the day there's cars that are worth enjoying for what they are (e.g. slants) and there are cars worth "building"
>>
>>13975726
Like head work, custom cam, bigger valves, and mods to support higher RPM operation.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.