[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My mechanic claims my suspension problems (loose steering wheel,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: crooked1.jpg (328KB, 1138x1096px) Image search: [Google]
crooked1.jpg
328KB, 1138x1096px
My mechanic claims my suspension problems (loose steering wheel, wandering, vibrations) are caused by these parts mis-aligned. The thing is, he wants $1,800 for a front end rebuild. Can a beginner tackle this? I think it could be done for $450 in parts.
>>
File: crooked2.jpg (264KB, 885x895px) Image search: [Google]
crooked2.jpg
264KB, 885x895px
>>
Welcome back.
It's feasible, make sure everything is torqued correctly, and you may want to tow it to an alignment shop after you're done, unless you don't care about your tires.
>>
>>13967312
You can probably buy all the parts yourself from Rockauto for maybe $200ish. But if you have no experience doing this, then I wouldn't attempt.
You need special tools (which you can rent) and an alignment afterwards.

Get another estimate for labor, get a part list, buy the parts yourself and have a shop only install them.
>>
>>13967312
That's a balljoint. It's supposed to move like that.. You can grab that lower bar and straighten it back out but it won't do anything.

>>13967315
All you need is a steering stabilizer bushing

I honestly hope this is a joke
>>
Wouldn't cost you more than $450 in parts /and/ tools. A pickle fork, a basic socket and ratchet set, a jack and jackstands, and parts would probably ring in under $300.

It won't solve your problem if your frame is fucked, and you'll need an alignment afterwards to square everything up.
>>
>>13967340
But what else could cause these symptoms? The parts that he would replace are about everything that could be replaced.
>>
>>13967312
There's an adjustment to tighten the rack. Start there. Don't over tighten. Start with like a 1/8th of a turn
>>
>>13967340
It's possible his mechanic just meant the ball joints were loose and worn out. Gonna need some new control arms.

>>13967384
Tie rod ends are probably worn out too and you'll want to replace all the bushings since you're taking the suspension apart anyway.
>>
>>13967312
Has the car been aligned and tire rotated and balanced?
>>
>>13967312
Price is probably for both sides he's not just gonna totally rebuild one side then leave other side untouched. That way you dont go back for same problem on opposite side
>>
>>13967398
>car been aligned and tire rotated and balanced?
No, his shop doesn't do that but he will send it out to get aligned after the work.
>>
>>13967312
Could also just need your wheels balanced
>>
>>13967312
redid my mr2 form a destroyed bearing bad iner tie rods and outer fucked alignement and rack rebuild did the alignment by eye and at 110 you can let go of the wheel and it tracks straight for 210 and about 8 hours
>>
What car fag?
I did tie rods, ball joints, pitman, idler arms, sway bar links, coils, and shocks on the front of my car for $120.
I did need to rent some parts from Autozone and use a sedaline torch and a torque wrench.

Reason why I did this was because the person who I asked to align it said everything was shot.
So I kept going to different places on my shit and had them all look at it and say what was wrong.

I then fixed everything that was wrong and went to a 5th aligner and got it aligned. It was 10 hours of work and I'm fat and lazy.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.