[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people do this? So your wipers dont freeze to your windshield?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

File: I believe I can fly.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
I believe I can fly.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Why do people do this?
So your wipers dont freeze to your windshield? Really? You know the same amount of work that went into you lifting your wipers is the exact same amount of work that's required for you to get your wipers unstuck should they freeze.
The biggest issue is actually the flexible joints of the wipers getting frozen, and then they dont wipe right. Lifting them up does not prevent this as they are still exposed to the snow, sleet, and ice.
All this does is make you look like a tool, and invites vandals to come steal your blades.

If anything its probably best to remove the wipers and put them inside, that way they actually stay nice and dry.

What other stupid shit to folks do in the winter?
>>
>>13966903
>and invites vandals to come steal your blades.
I know you thought there was logic to this statement, but there is not.
>>
>>13966903
I don't think you've ever encountered real freezing rain, like 1/2 inch of ice type freezing rain
>>
File: 1280963866577.jpg (40KB, 560x543px) Image search: [Google]
1280963866577.jpg
40KB, 560x543px
>>13966903
>and invites vandals to come steal your blades.
What kind of nigger steals wiper blades? What the fuck would you even do with old wiper blades?
>>
>living where it gets cold
kek
>>
>>13966910
This is a far suburb of Chicago, that never happens here.

Worst is some ice that requires a scrapper, but the wipers lift right off.
>>
>>13966930
>living where it gets comfy*
Ftfy
>>
>>13966971
>freezing your ass off is comfy
>>
It's to spare the rubber the shock of ripping off of ice.
>>
>>13967125
Why would you be using them anyway?
>>
>>13967162
Not from turning on the wipers and ripping them off, but from manually pulling them off the glass. That said, I've never seen or heard of somebody tearing the rubber by doing this.

On a related note, thanks Pontiac for making my blades obscure themselves partially below the hood when they are turned off so that I can't actually lift the blades up and clap them against the glass to shake loose the ice.
>>
>>13966903
OP confirmed for living where it doesn't snow
>>
>>13967172
>Not from turning on the wipers and ripping them off
Wouldn't this be avoided by NOT being stupid?

Aren't there some sort of overload protection on wipers nowadays?
>>
>>13966913
Use them on their own cars.
Ive had a homeless person steal my antenna and one wiper blade, i was so angry.
>>
File: 344134.jpg (120KB, 780x585px) Image search: [Google]
344134.jpg
120KB, 780x585px
To make it so you don't have to rip the rubber off the iced windshield when you're going to scrape it free from ice
>>
>>13967172
I worked at uhaul, we tore wiper blades all the time on the trucks after a night of rain/cold.
>>
>>13967302

And also;
Rainbowranger, is that you?
>>
>>13966903
>You know the same amount of work that went into you lifting your wipers is the exact same amount of work that's required for you to get your wipers unstuck should they freeze.

But that's not true, you ignorant redneck
>>
File: DSC_0433.jpg (2MB, 3000x1994px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0433.jpg
2MB, 3000x1994px
Canadian here, accustomed to insane winters.

I've never flipped my blades up like this, never torn them either. Put defrost on and in 20 seconds the wipers are free. Also nice that my current vehicle has a wiper defrost zone, so there's a heating element right under the blades to melt the ice.

But my old Mazda3 never had this, and the HVAC sucked in it. I still managed to drive just fine, never wrecked my blades.

OP is correct in saying that you look like a stupid cunt when you do this. He's also correct in saying that it invites vandalism, last winter I saw several cars with their wiper blades tilted up, but they'd clearly been grabbed and bent/yanked. Probably fucked the motor inside, and definitely bent the shit out of the arm.
>>
i assumed the wind blew the wipers up, i always make a point of helping people out by flipping their wiper blades back down onto the windshield for them

too bad i'm not around for them to thank me
>>
>>13966903
>>13966903
OP confirmed full retard.

You lift the blades off the windshield so that when they do freeze, they don't freeze at the curved part of the windshield, but relatively straight. If the blade freezes at the base of the windshield, it's totally ineffective as a wiper until fully thawed, because only the bottom 1/3rd of the blade will actually have enough pressure to wipe anything off.

And to all these tards ripping wiper blades, stop buying $5 blades from ghetto mart. I've driven in -40F for years and never ripped a blade.
>>
File: 1310408064982.jpg (10KB, 441x408px) Image search: [Google]
1310408064982.jpg
10KB, 441x408px
>his car doesn't have wiper defrost
>>
>>13967372

Where can you get that?
>>
File: wiper defrost.jpg (44KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
wiper defrost.jpg
44KB, 1280x720px
>>13967380

In cars that aren't pieces of shit.
>>
>>13967366
How hard is it to lift the blade, flex it back and forth a few times, and slam it on the glass to break off any remaining loose ice?

You think lifting the blade up in the air somehow prevents it from freezing into a solid chunk?

There have been a lot of times where my blades where stuck to the windshield and iced over. I never had problems breaking them free, scrapping the ice off, and flexing the blades to get them in shape.

I can see maybe if you have a solid inch of frozen ice on your windshield that have completely engulfed your blades, but at that point you're gonna spend an hour cleaning that off anyway. Having your blades in the air covered in ice does not make a difference.
>>
>>13967366
The $5 blades work better on both my truck and my car.

The $20 blades NEVER fit correctly.
>>
File: deer3.gif (2MB, 377x272px) Image search: [Google]
deer3.gif
2MB, 377x272px
>>13967397

>tfw walking out of mall in winter time
>see half the idiots with wiper blades sticking straight up
>sideways wind and snow blowing
>wiper blades, instead of being relatively sheltered and flush to the windshield
>are now sticking up into the air like giant popsicles with 3lbs of ice and snow hanging from them
>>
File: knife.jpg (390KB, 863x1198px) Image search: [Google]
knife.jpg
390KB, 863x1198px
>>13967406

>spend $5 on blades at beginning of winter
>get fucked up and shredded by ice after a few months
>maybe have to buy one more for $5
>spring comes
>put clean, good $20 blades back on

These faggots buying $20 speshul winter wiper blades are retarded, they ALL go to shit after a few months from the salt and sand spray.
>>
>>13967397
Or I could just lift the blades if the car is going to be parked outside over night and not have to dick with any of that.

The issue isn't that the blades freeze, it's that they freeze to the curve at the window base, which isn't the same as the rest of the windshield. If the blades are lifted and freeze, they freeze at full spring pressure of the blade, meaning any ice is broken when it's forced to conform back to the windshield shape when you drop it back down. Let your blades freeze to the windshield if you like to replace them every season for turning to shit. Or you could just buy bosch blades
>>
>>13966903
>living where it snows
>>
>>13967415
This. Winter is going to ruin most blades around here.

I only put the blades up if we're having snow. It just makes clearing the windshield easier. If it's going to ice I leave them down and just n defrost first.
>>
>>13967415
Oem only
>>
>>13967454
holy shit you lazy ass cunt!
how fucking hard is it to take the blade, lift it up, FLEX IT BACK AND FORTH TO BREAK THE ICE and put it back down?

fucking hell. They are fucking wiper blades. you need to clean them weekly. Summer, winter, rain, dirt. You should lift them up, and clean the rubber surface all the fucking time. Or do you just love having streak marks, and small branches all over?
>>
>>13967469
I usually replace my wipers after winter in the early spring. they last fine all summer and into next winter.
>>
File: 1448553254149.jpg (23KB, 400x299px) Image search: [Google]
1448553254149.jpg
23KB, 400x299px
I agree OP

Stupid fuckin 'precaution' that does nothing except make you look like a fag who overthinks everything. Fuck this nonsense

>tfw heated parking garage in my Canadian apartment
>tfw car is always comfy operating temp
>tfw see cars driving while covered in snow/ice while mines clean dry & warm
>>
>>13967528
Are you autistic? Clean them when you get gas. If you know it's going to snow/freezing rain, just lift the blades. Spending time getting cold hands fucking with the blades when they are frozen is more annoying than lifting the blades.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.