[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does installing fender flares magically open up some width that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

Does installing fender flares magically open up some width that wasn't there before? Wouldn't the old fender still get in the way if you put in wider wheels?

I mean, why not just cut out sections of the fender and leave it like that?
>>
File: 6704329301_354dab8f6b_b.jpg (347KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
6704329301_354dab8f6b_b.jpg
347KB, 1024x680px
Yes, because you're supposed to cut your fender to gain the extra clearance.
People don't just leave it cut up with no flares because it'll look stupid.
>>
File: image.jpg (362KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
362KB, 1024x683px
Lowering the car and adding in fender flares or wide body usually helps with cornering, stability, and weight distribution.

Most flares or pieces require the previous fender underneath to be cut and welded to allow for wider and/or larger wheels and tires.

For 90% of cars it's pointless and used for aesthetic value, but the other 10% is used for track cars that wanted the aforementioned bonus.
>>
bullshit. you have to add the fenders because your not allowed to have wider tyres than fenders in most countries. People in america just do it because we all do it. by the way it really looks shitty
>>
>>13966213

>Lowering the car and adding in fender flares or wide body usually helps with cornering, stability, and weight distribution.

Stancenation is not a valid resource for car dynamics theory. Flares just cover up larger tires, the advantage is in those tires, not the flares themselves.

It also won't help with weight distribution. The word you're looking for is center of gravity.
>>
DELETE THIS THREAD
>>
>>13966292
Ah yes. Thank you.

I dunno why I said weight distribution
>>
>>13966292
>the advantage is in those tires, not the flares themselves
Aerodynamics?
>>
>>13966315
Uhhh, no, if anything flares will increase the drag coefficient of a vehicle somewhat.
>>
>>13966334
But they're surely better (aerodynamically) than just cutting the bodywork.
>>
>>13966213
you can end up lengthening your roll coupling
>>
>>13966347
Why would you "just cut the bodywork"?

And not necessarily better at all. I think a qualified aerospace engineer would be the best person to explain that though.
>>
>>13966359
>Why would you "just cut the bodywork"?
To fit the wider wheels that otherwise wouldn't fit?
>>
>>13966194
>I mean, why not just cut out sections of the fender and leave it like that?
Because that looks retarded, is bad for aerodynamics and increasing pedestrian danger.
These combined is why it's illegal in any non-3rd world country to have the tyres sticking out of the wheel well, hence flares.
>>
File: 1448934156701.jpg (74KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1448934156701.jpg
74KB, 800x600px
most race series will specify that the edges of the tires are covered (non open wheel series) and then will specify a maximum width for the car and tires, the cars are built to the maximum allowed specs then fettled to fit the safety rules.

ergo - bolt on arches
>>
>>13966359
cant afford full fender flairs
>>
>>13966383
The owner of that vehicle should be dragged and quartered.
>>
File: 1448934265698.jpg (75KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1448934265698.jpg
75KB, 800x600px
>>13966410
>>
>>13966410
>>13966416
*drawn and quartered
>>
>>13966359
Fender flares do help aerodynamically in the sense that oncoming air is not hitting the spinning wheels.

Spinning wheels are horrible aerodynamically and are best covered up. Open Wheel race classes like forumula 1 aren't allowed to cover them so they have to make do with what little aerodynamic real estate they have.
>>
>>13966292
I thibk that's what he meant apart from the weight distribution.
>>
>>13966450
If F1 covered the tires they would over heat in one lap
>>
>>13966297
Ok, tumblr
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.