[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i'm thinking of making an electric supercar that uses a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: McLaren_M_Eleven_B_2.jpg (49KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
McLaren_M_Eleven_B_2.jpg
49KB, 400x293px
i'm thinking of making an electric supercar that uses a HTS materials-based drive-train. stuff like HTS magnets for braking, accelerating, and so forth.

i even thought about using a fluid that changes viscosity when a voltage is applied to it, and build a suspension system around it so that you can stiffen and loosen your vehicle using simple voltage adjustments rather than tooling the actual coils or shocks.

the HTS magnets would be cooled by liquid nitrogen, which would then be cooled through magnetic refrigeration. all of this is sort of meant to be a way for me to delve further into advancing technologies while building a vehicle that takes advantage of it, being capable of having a high level of efficiency for power and also a high level of performance as a result. the cost of course would be high, but it would begin as a proof of concept and then possibly gain attention from investors. do you think this is worthy of a funding platform?

pic semi related i've always been fond of the M Eleven design both rear and front-wise.
>>
>high level of efficiency
>cooled by liquid nitrogen

:3
>>
oh yeah i forgot to mention that maybe nitrogen as a gear lubricant is plausible due to its chemical inertness, physical volatility and low viscosity, but i haven't really worked out how gears in cryogenic conditions would handle the shock. i mean we heat treat them but can the reverse be done? to treat alloys so that they are insulated enough to avoid shock induced heat transfer?
>>
>>13945477
the liquid nitrogen cools the HTS which means a smaller motor is needed. less weight less materials, ergo it's more efficient, even if it does use liquid nitrogen which requires more power to keep cold. It's easier to cope with using more power but having more materials is a fixed expense you can't mitigate, therefore it deserves more attention.
>>
>>13945467
Godspeed, anon
>>
Name one car that carries around Hydrogen that is also light enough to be considered a sportscar?

You might want to pursue the luxury grand tourer market first. Those are allowed to be heavy.
>>
>>13945503
that's different. the liquid nitrogen wouldn't be kept stored in a large tank. it would constantly be circulating through the electromagnetic and kept under pressure by the same pump circulating it through insulated tubing.
>>
>>13945467
>i'm thinking of making an
Ok, lets stop you there.
Do you have a reasonable job?
Space? Money?
Any engineering skills?
Took the dude at dp cars something like 4 years to make something that could go around a track, with proven existing technology. Willing to bet you dont have 10 solid years and a multi-million dollar budget. I want to believe, but if you cant sell this to some faggots on a korean soap opera database you will never get funding.
Any designs / sketches / anything?
Why should I give you my vast fortune?
>>
>>13945467
what are hts magnets?
>>
File: EAP-composite.png (29KB, 914x523px) Image search: [Google]
EAP-composite.png
29KB, 914x523px
>>13945538
i have a job as and i'm in university while also running a multimedia studio for making advertisment videos. i also do freelance web developing on the side.

i'm currently studying computer science but i've studied physics with a specialization in superconductors/condensed matter, and material science, specializing in Rotaxanes and electroactive polymers. that time spans for about 3 years.

right now i have no space but i intend to get a business space soon for my studio, so i might utilize it for this project as well since it will most likely be a small warehouse.

i'm currently working on my portfolio for the concept designs and the production process methods i will use. after that they will both be made in 3D using solidworks and i'd 3D print most of the parts just to show in consulations.

i'd also try to form a proper frame using 3D laser sintering methods in the future, but for now i'm going to make a mold using 3D printed plastic of a large scale then coat it in sand for aluminum to be poured in. this will only be done for the monocoque nothing else.

the HTS motor will be made by me by winding it just like a conventional motor but forming a heat exchanger that uses liquid nitrogen around its casing so that optimal surface contact is made while keeping rigidity of the motor, frame, and tubing.

Once that's done i would then make the suspension using electrorheological fluids, a suspension of polymers in a low dielectric-constant liquid. they could be placed around the vehicle as shock absorbers, engine mounts and acoustic dampers.

the braking system is still in development but as electricity is applied to the coil of an electromagnet, the magnetic flux attracts the armature to the face of the brake. As it does so, it squeezes the inner and outer friction disks together.

These are the core systems i intend to develop, right now i have no visuals as i'm still trying to set up the dimensions of the vehicle and in turn, components in Solidworks
>>
>>13945578
magnets made using materials other than copper that, when lowered to a specific temperature, will form cooper pairs and have little electrical resistance.
>>
now before someone calls me insane, i just want you to know i love you all
>>
File: that sits funne fo real.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
that sits funne fo real.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>i even thought about using a fluid that changes viscosity when a voltage is applied to it, and build a suspension system around it so that you can stiffen and loosen your vehicle using simple voltage adjustments rather than tooling the actual coils or shocks.

this already exists, it's cadillac's magnetic ride control shocks and its glorious

>>13945600
>i'm in university while also running a multimedia studio for making advertisment videos. i also do freelance web developing on the side.
>pic related
alright dude
>>
>>13945578
Essentially superconducting magnet materials. Very expensive to make and are still experimental.
>>
Alright well, not that we're questioning your intelligence, but your not going to pull this off in a reasonable time without a team of engineers. I think your overestimating your abilities here so go make some smart engineering friends.

To even remotely come come close to building something like this, it will take you 25 years and by then technology will have moved on and either it will be irrelevant or an actual company will have beaten you to it.

My suggestion is building a proof of concept test device for each system and don't worry about fitting it into a car. Take these working prototypes to a company and get some interest. God knows what happens after that but your going to need to know exactly what the fuck your talking about.

The only way to do this is to play with other peoples money and your going to need some experience and tact and an engineering degree to do that. Stuff like this usually spawns from university students who are getting engineering degrees and come up with a good idea and build it while they have the colleges resources.
>>
>>13945727
Also have you taken calculus? I meant to ask this. If you haven't taken at least calculus III then give up now.
>>
>>13945738
i've taken Caclulus III, Multivariable Calculus and Partial Differential Equations. I haven't taken but i have studied on my own time Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations.
>>
>>13945668
>>13945652
oh okay. seems like op needs to be concentrating on the lab work to make this tech viable instead of the distraction of car building
>>
>>13945489
Do you understand how cooling through compression works
>>
this thing powered by magic??
>>
>>13945764
i'm just trying to optimize the research timeline by having it go into something that's more tangible than merely a working patent of some sort that passes over to some big corp giant. I'm looking to show people a brand and a team hopefully that are capable of theory and application without comprimise one over the other, by taking the results and updating the projects methodology for producing each component of the car for mass production of its components, while using the main car as a base for testing. the lab would invariably be the car itself because it tests the theory that this can work in the real world, not just as a sum of its pieces. so much technology gets lost by the mountain of patents companies own and never look at and i'm tired of it.
>>
>>13945467
Are you going to offer a turbocharged version of fusion reactor for the sport model?
>>
>i'm thinking of making an electric supercar

lol, only on /o/ would you get a thread like this where the poster is 100% serious
>>
>>13945806
I bet someone told Henry Ford "lol only in america would you hear something as stupid as a mass producable car." Does that mean he should have just given up and masturbated in his basement while writing telegrams to people telling them to go to rickroll avenue?
>>
that meme when u make a thread in your late teen years after taking too much ADHD pills
>>
>>13945467
try to get involved with the formula team at your school. some schools even have an electric formula team. high performing electric vehicles already exist without all the exotic things you're pondering. check out formula-e.
>>
The electric-current suspension thing you're talking about exists in Audis and Cadillacs.

I have it in my TT, nifty stuff :3
>>
>>13945467
If you had the knowledge and resources to make something like that happen, you sure as fuck wouldn't need /o/'s advice.

Hell, the vast majority of people who post here wouldn't be able to put a simple kit car together.
>>
>>13946773
>comparing yourself to Henry Ford
baka op
dont make electric cars, those are boring
make some kind of new engine that's both friendly to the environment and fun
>>
>>13945467
>possibly gain attention from investors. do you think this is worthy of a funding platform?
Haha oh man. Not knocking your idea OP but that's an incredibly high risk investment for probably a very low rate of return. Nobody's going to give you any money. If you want to make supercars you have to put up the initial funding yourself and be ok with losing everything when nobody buys it apart from two weird old guys who want to be unique at track days.
>>
Im currently in the process of converting my '13 150 to 30mi/day electric. Will post pictures in a few months when completed
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.