[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does this compare to a real car? Obviously there's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: g27.jpg (143KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
g27.jpg
143KB, 750x500px
How does this compare to a real car?

Obviously there's no "feel" of it, but can it at least get me started with learning how to drive a manual?
>>
>>13943459
>but can it at least get me started with learning how to drive a manual?
no
>>
>>13943459
Haha nope..you don't have the feel of the centrifugal forces, or any forces for that matter, that play a big role in driving manual
>>
>>13943459
You could triple the price that you bought that for and get a beater manual.
>>
>>13943459
It's good for learning lines, but bad for learning handling dynamics. Driving in the mountains is just the opposite. Practice both, along with autocross or karting to put the two together.
>>
>>13943469
>you don't have the feel of the centrifugal forces

Don't you mean centripetal force?
>>
>>13943503
that too i guess
>>
>>13943459
It can help with your shifting patterns

It won't help with your clutchwork, however, and that, in my opinion, is 90% of driving manual.
>>
eh. its a good start if your young. also if you take it serious you could learn some things about vehicle handling. but for sure the feel is different in many ways and you will have to get in a real manual car for that.
>>
i bought a g27, fucked around in videogames for a few months, bought a manual, drove it off the lot with no problems.
itll help with getting a general idea of what you should be doing
it wont help with driving smoothly, but itll help you get the concepts down.
>>
Just drive around in an empty parking lot. Playing games with pedals actually fucked me up, I underestimated how sensitive the car is to throttle when learning to drive because of these games.
>>
That setup with the TV, pedals, chair etc... cost around $500 right?

You could go get a beat to shit car with a manual transmission for $500. Yea, it won't be very road worthy and may not last that long but you will get 100x a better feel for driving manual then you ever would playing a video game.
>>
triple? you could find some dumper civic dx for 400
>>
File: question.jpg (67KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
67KB, 1024x768px
Quick question OP, gonna hijack real quick.

I want to learn how to drive manual. I also want an NA Miata. Should I just buy one off Craigslist and then attempt to drive it back home? I've watched hours of YouTube videos teaching me how to drive a manual.

Here's what I know:
Car in neutral and brake on foot and clutch to turn on.
Clutch in, shift to 1st gear. Give car a little gas, at around 1.5kRPM, slowly let off clutch, roll, when around 2-2.5k step on clutch, shift again, rinse repeat.
>>
does the shifter act the same as an actual manual
>>
>>13943773
No, unless you mod it for more resistance. Even then the throws are pretty short.
>>
>>13943760

braaap that shit on the way home. did that with the first car I bought from dealer years ago. and its now totalled from braapin too hard in the rain..[2 years later]
>>
>>13943760
Maybe easier to not use the gas, you risk bunny hop if you give it too much and are not smooth with the clutch. The only problem is you'll start off slow so stay in the slow lane and don't worry about the people behind you that you're pissing off.

If the P/O is really wanting to sell it, he'll be happy to teach you how to drive it.
>>
>>13943753
Scrap value here is right at 4-500 a car, anybody with half a brain selling a car would sell above that like 600+
>>
>>13943459
no

>>13943477
he could probably get a beater manual cheaper than that set up.
>>13943750
been driving a $500 beater every winter for the past 7 years, dead battery once and light bulb changes have been about all I have changed.

>>13943773
no
>>
Sigh. Yet another thread that wouldn't exist if 'murica required people to actually know how to drive a car before handing them drivers licenses...
>>
>>13943459
nothing like it

that whole setup costs as much as a throwaway manual junker.
>>
>>13943459
It's absolutely nothing like driving a real car.

But it is more fun than a controller.
>>
>>13943760
you need to shift later than 2 or 2.5k in a miata, they don't make at lot of torque. I shift at 3.5 to 4k if I'm accelerating.
>>
>>13943459
Well, it must help, atleast a little. I wouldn't have known jackshit first time driving stick, If i haven't played forza for hours and hours with the manual+clutch difficulty on. Not even joking, i would think its better than nothing, for a first time manual driver.
>>
>>13943919
what kind of beater do you have? I need one
>>
>>13944031
no, it really wont. Enjoy breaking whatever car u try to drive afterwards.
>>
>>13944016
Hey at least some of us are trying and succeeding.
>>
>>13944037
Volvo 240
>>
>>13943773
i'm more interested in how it simulates a gearbox, like if it lets you downshift 5 to 2 and just goes VRAAARGH a little

not y'know getting that instinctive feel for matching revs and feeling it on the stick, memorising biting points for smooth shifting, noticing when you miss the clutch before you hear the crrrrunch etc
>>
File: 1433269960178.jpg (18KB, 306x237px) Image search: [Google]
1433269960178.jpg
18KB, 306x237px
>>13944029
>>13943893
Got it. Thanks guys. Trying to score me one before the winter here. Sent emails out to 2 people but literally 0 freaking responses.

ANOTHER QUESTION:

What is the average life of a clutch? Many Miatas in my area have 100-150k miles. As a newb, I'll surely stall. How much damage does that do to the car and the clutch? I don't want to buy a Miata and then ruin the car because of me wanting to learn how to drive manual, ya know?
>>
>>13944195
stalling won't hurt the clutch. what hurts the clutch is riding it and slipping the clutch too much. average life of a clutch is maybe 180k miles but honestly clutch jobs are not a big deal in miatas.
>>
>buying electronic setups that cost more than real cars to learn manual

lel
>>
>>13944248
how much do they usually cost to fix/replace m8
>>
>>13944270
if you do it yourself, maybe $250. a shop is going to charge a lot more, I'm not sure how much though.
>>
>>13944021
>It's absolutely nothing like driving a real car.

It's a bit far fetched to say that. You still go through the same motions.

Like another anon said, the shifting is pretty much the same motion but the clutchwork is what's different.
>>
>>13943503
Centrifugal force - Your body/your car wanting to go outwards
Centripetal force - the force of your tires keeping traction in a turn
Sorry m80 not tryin to be an asshat, but I've had to do so many force diagrams that simple stuff like this bugs me.
>>
>>13943525
/thread
>>
>>13943760
this is what i did when i bought my rsx type s. wanted to learn manual, its a 6 speed i bought the car off craigslist met the guy at a huge parking lot basically just taught myself there. fucked around for like 30 min. figuring everything out then just drove it home.
>>
File: ac camaro gt3 at the ring.webm (3MB, 684x384px) Image search: [Google]
ac camaro gt3 at the ring.webm
3MB, 684x384px
>>13943459
it's the closest I can get canyon carving, also the feel of the wheel depends wholly on the game you're playing

>can I learn to drive manual with it?
yeah, nah, no bite point or feeling to the clutch on the controller and it will probably teach you to slam it into gear and drop the clutch too quick

I would still recommend for a G27 for the general fun of it, it brings life back to old arcade racers and allows you to enjoy modern sims properly

>>13943760
I daily drive an NA 1.6 miata and you're going to want to go to at least 3k rpm from 1st to 2nd or you're looking at 0-60mph in over 25 seconds

the miata is the kind of car that lives in the middle of the rev range, when you get one you'll know what I mean
>>
>>13944296
In my experience getting a shop to replace a clutch usually runs 800+ for most cars.

As most of the job is labor.

That being said, buying the parts the tools and repair manual to go by and doing it yourself would probably be cheaper.
>>
Using a setup like that to learn on is like learning to fuck using a fleshlight, your going to be fucked in the rear world when it comes to the real thing.

tldr: just get a cheap car, it's not even remotely the same.
>>
>>13943525
This is the only correct advice in this thread. I can vouch for it because I did the same thing as what you've got OP and this is literally all it did. Not saying it's useless, it helped give me that bit of extra confidence boost to pick up manual quite easily.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.