[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alrighty /o/, what are the dos and don'ts of jacking up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: lotus_jacked.jpg (38KB, 432x331px) Image search: [Google]
lotus_jacked.jpg
38KB, 432x331px
Alrighty /o/, what are the dos and don'ts of jacking up a car on your own? I've seen /o/ lambast people on Facebook posts and such for doing it wrong and risking death, so I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes. Are the jacks that come with cars for tire changes enough? Should I get one of those rolling single ones like pic related? Put simply what's the safest and easiest way to get access to your suspension and underside of your car?
>>
>>13937491
>Put simply what's the safest and easiest way to get access to your suspension and underside of your car?

a lift

seriously though

just get jack stands dont go getting under a car with just a jack if you can help it
>>
Buy a pair of jack stands, and a quality hydraulic jack.

Best place to jack is the subframe.
I don't like using the pinch points because those are designed for the scissor jack, and a large disc of the hydraulic jack only ends up bending that pinch.
>>
step 1: jack the car up with a real hydraulic jack. not only are they not flimsy they are just plain easier and they are cheap.

step 2: place jack stands at sturdy locations. pic related. this includes the designated areas under the rockers, crossmembers, diff, subframe, etc.

always leave the jack snugged up to something to catch the car. if I'm working on the rearend of my car ill have jack stands in the designated spot under the rocker and I will also have the jack snugged up to the rear diff or rear subframe to catch the car if a jackstand fails.

redundancy nigga.

and the reason you have to use jackstands is because hydraulic jacks will lower slowly by themselves and by the time you notice it could be too late. frog in boiling water style. countless people have died so dont think it wont happen to me.
>>
File: muhjackpoints.png (405KB, 640x513px) Image search: [Google]
muhjackpoints.png
405KB, 640x513px
>>13937647
oops
>>
>>13937662

>jacking up on rear differential case

Secure?
>>
>>13937662
>>13937647
My manual says not to jack by my rear diff, is this true for axle only and independent is ok?
>>
>>13937681
usually yeah. I do it with my Sti all the time.
>>
>>13937693

Seems scary.
>>
>>13937647
Forgot, make sure you put it in neutral before jacking up.
>>
>>13937491
>Alrighty /o/, what are the dos and don'ts of jacking up a car on your own?
Read the fucking manual and use jack stands.
>>
>>13937681
RTFM. I can do it on my Land Cruiser but not my WJ Grand Cherokee.
>>
>>13938346
You aren't me.

Leave it in gear. And if you're lifting the drive wheels chock the other ones.

>>13937689
That's the subframe below the rear diff not the actual diff housing. IFS will always have a rear subframe to jack from.

Jacking on the diff is probably not recommended but I have done it anyway.
>>
>>13938379
>IFS
I meant independent front or rear
>>
>>13937689
>tfw e39 wagon doesnt have a rear jack point so you have to use the diff
i put a nice squishy block of wood on the jack so it provides even pressure on the diff casing
>>
Lifted an engine with an engine hoist one time
>>
>sometimes I put my jack stands under the A arms of the front suspension
>>
>>13937689
I have both, I'll jack on the diff of the solid axle housing because it's supporting the suspension. On my IRS truck, the diff isn't as supported, I'm better off using other points.
>>
If I'm simply doing a tire change, I jack on the spring mounts for the rears. Front I jack from the frame near the jack points, but in the back, my jack doesn't go high enough to lift the wheels without jacking from the bottom of the suspension.
>>
what ever you do dont jack up your car by the front subframe, it fucks up the alignment
i usually use the rad support or the oilpan
>>
>>13937681
Typically yes.

The other end would be under the front crossmember
>>
>>13938410
They always make nonslip cushion pads for most jacks, and jack stands
>>
Rule number one when jacking up a car to be worked on. Don't be a nigger.
>>
File: 1435188823457.jpg (14KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
1435188823457.jpg
14KB, 250x238px
>>13940779
>>
>>13937491
>Are the jacks that come with cars for tire changes enough?
They'll get you out of the shit if you really need to get the car up, but they're generally unstable, knuckle smashers that do wear out pretty quick.
Hydraulics like in the picture are a much tougher, stable jack that will last for years, plus they tend to have a fairly high load rating as well.
>>
>>13937581
>dont go getting under a car with just a jack if you can help it
NEVER go under a car without jack stands or something solid holding it up. Jacks can and WILL fail, and they will most likely fail while you are under the car because the universe is cruel.
>>
File: jiggery.jpg (100KB, 900x650px) Image search: [Google]
jiggery.jpg
100KB, 900x650px
>>13940888
Cruel... maybe just a dark sense of humour, because sometimes we just deserve everything we get
>>
File: 1421026033420.jpg (59KB, 456x608px) Image search: [Google]
1421026033420.jpg
59KB, 456x608px
>>13937581
>>13937591
>>13937647
>>13938370
>>13938555
>>13940803
>>13940888

>jack stands
don't forget to clean your jack stands before you penetrate your anus, you pansies
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 480x362px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 480x362px
Of your a certified nigger then all you need is the stock car jack that came with your car and maybe a crescent wrench. That's it. Get to work nigger.
>>
File: jack1.jpg (87KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
jack1.jpg
87KB, 768x1024px
>>13937491
>rolling single ones like pic related
very heavy and bulky
they also tend to roll away
>>13937591
>>13937647
I have found bottle jacks work well
>>13937581
>a lift
hell no
not after the shit I've seen
>>13940865
pic related is my favourite kind
>>13940935
that rock chock is impressing me
foot angle on the sticks is a bit dodge tho
>>
>>13941013
TIL that I'm a nigger.
>>
>>13937662
>Fuel tank between rear axle and rear bumper
It's like you WANT the car to burst into flames.
>>
>>13937698
i do it with my wrx all the time. I use a low profile race jack and a piece of wood in between it and I can have it up in the air in no-time. it's surprisingly sturdy, but I always put my stands under afterwards anyways

Same for the front, theres a big ass spot on the subframe. I can have the car up in the air very quickly.
>>
>>13943266
forgot to say subaru has this in the FSM, I wouldn't do it unless you know your car is supposed to be jacked like that.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.