[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 60

File: QuestionCar-1.jpg (23KB, 500x415px) Image search: [Google]
QuestionCar-1.jpg
23KB, 500x415px
QTDDTOT. Old thread hit bump limit.
>>
97 Expedition here

So yesterday I took my truck in to brakes plus to get an alignment done. they told me it couldn't be done without $1500 worth of parts and labor for repairs.

Said I needed to replace front L & R upper ball joints, which are part of the upper control arms, front L & R lower ball joints,front sway bar bushings.

I don't think they even really checked out the rear.

fuck. OK so after the sticker shock I thanked him and came home to internet and my haynes manual, this shit doesn't look that bad. youtube vid also mentioned new sway bar end links so i priced a couple of them.

Parts:

The guy spoke highly of MOOG, so that's what I have been pricing out so far

front L & R upper control arms $47 ea

front L & R lower ball joints $24 ea

front sway bar bushings $11 set

stabilizer bar link $6 ea

Tools:

ball joint service kit $105

front end puller kit $60

What grease do I put in the lower ball joints?

Am I missing any other parts i should check out or just change out during this job or specialty tools for this job?
>>
>>13932519
they were probably triying to fuck your wallet up man
i have an 00 expedition thats just squeaky as fuck but the worst thing about it it blew out 2 spark plugs fucking up the threads shes been siting for 2 years now

in short im sure its fine and usually they come with their own grease no?
>>
Any massfags know any car meets in Worcester area?
>>
File: Untitled.png (10KB, 768x480px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10KB, 768x480px
I measured the diameter of the hole in my door where the speakers should go. The diameter of the hole was 4 inches, so I though that meant "4 inch speakers" would fit inside my car. When I received the speakers (ebay) they were way too small to fit in the 4 inch diameter hole. The best solution would be to return the speakers and buy the correct fitting ones, but I don't want to deal with the Ebay return process so my question is: How do I make these small speakers fit in the big hole?
>>
>>13932866
cardboard an fiberglass

or sheet metal

or carbon fiber sheets cut to size
>>
yuropoor here, I really want an American car (yes, I'm serious). It's difficult to find good ones here though. Is there anything wrong with a 98 Tahoe? It's done about 110k mls and 1 owner. I could also get an 89 Bonneville or a 94 Saratoga for roughly half the price of the Tahoe, which would leave me with a bit money to spend in case something goes wrong.

Is it stupid to buy an American car from that era?
>>
How much would a brand new mercedes v12 engine run?

What could I fit it in? I was thinking maybe an old trans am.
>>
>>13933212

It's incredibly stupid to buy an American car over 100,00 miles.
>>
File: 1446807435506.webm (430KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1446807435506.webm
430KB, 720x404px
How much classroom-type automotive training do I need before jumping into automotive repair and modification? My plan was to just buy an older american muscle car for cheap and try fixing it up, but I'm not sure if there are any precursors before that step.
>>
>>13933241
Buy a rundown SL600/S600, sell all the spare parts, extract the engine, run it on a modified ECU, have an adapter plate made, put a Turbo 400 behind it, done.

The spares car could actually make you a profit if you find the right one(with lots of good parts to sell). Just think of it as 0$.
A Haltech ECU should be around 3K for a new one.
Adapater plate should be less than 1k
>>
>>13933241
the current twin turbo v12? probably on the order of 20k+?

the old na sohc v12? cheap as chips.

stuff it in anything with a long wide engine bay.

rememeber to buy your spark plugs in packs of 24. unless they're no longer twin spark designs.
>>
I have OEM speakers that are really shit, and I want to replace them. I think the OEM speakers are 8 ohm, and the aftermarket ones I have are 4 ohm. assuming the car's amplifier can take the additional load, how do I ensure the volume level is consistent after I swap it in? it's not as simple wiring in a 4 ohm resistor right?
>>
>>13933212
Where do you pive, what's your budget?
How many seats do you want? How much power? Mopar, Ford or GM?
What's the vehicle tax near you like? No tax over 40 years? Fuel pricing? lPG options?

Just keep in mind you'll probably want a pre-smog car (from when they actually had power) or a pretty new one. Late seventies and eighties cars are usually underpowered, cars from the 90's, well into the 00's have horrid interiors. They've gotten their act together lately,but it all depends on what your budget is.

>>13933241
Nah, stuff it in something like a thirties Ford or Chevy pickup.
>>
>>13933212
Where do you live, what's your budget, how many seats do you want, how much power, how's the gas, tax and insurance for you?.
>>
>>13933288
>>13933292

I can't spend much more than 8-10k. I don't need more than 2 seats on most occasions but 4 or more seats are just more practical. I don't care that much for going fast as fuck, that's not what these cars are made for, I just wanna be comfy on my daily commute. Taxes for the Tahoe will be about 400€ per year, fuel prices are terrible around here but the dealer offered to put an IPG system into the Tahoe for an extra 2k. Haven't checked insurance yet but usually American cars are more expensive than European ones. I know that the current CTS is almost twice as much as the current C-Class.

So basically, it will cost me a lot more than my Renault to drive an American car but I still want one. Fuck...
>>
I live in CT and am searching for a decent used vehicle. Winter is approaching, so obviously I'm being told (mostly by women) that I just HAVE to get an AWD / 4x4 vehicle to survive in the snow. I know the benefits are alright, but I was figuring I'd be fine with a FWD vehicle and snow tires. Hell, last year ended up being pretty crazy with snow and I made it fine with my mom's 2000 Acura TL and all season tires, I just drove sensibly.

Anyways, here's where my question comes in. I decided to at least entertain the idea of getting an AWD vehicle. The thing is, I don't really need an SUV, so I looked into sedans (not my first choice) / coupes / hatchbacks with AWD. I've seen a handful of nice Infiniti vehicles, sadly most of them around here are sedans. So is anyone familiar with Infiniti in general? Are they rather expensive to maintain? I also considered some type of Subaru. If it came down to getting something like a 2007 Infiniti G35 or a 2007 Subaru Impreza, which should I go for?
>>
What is this this particular part called? 1987 toyota mr2

I need the name of it so I can get the missing grommets for it
>>
>>13933248
pop the hood on your shitbox, identify the 10+ problems that need fixing, and start from there.
Car work is some involved shit and sadly a lot of it is Practical experience. start with something simpler, and work up to that project.. you'll lose less hair and live longer, brother.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>13933661
forgot image, sorry guys
>>
File: 99260a3de8c28475ba6ebb364cacbeed.jpg (443KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
99260a3de8c28475ba6ebb364cacbeed.jpg
443KB, 1920x1280px
2000 Mercury Cougar V6
CONTEXT : so i need two new ABS wheel speed sensors. I can't seem to extract them out of cars in the local junkyard... the casings all goddamn crack before they make it out. Rockauto wants to shill me for 130+ each.

First, any tips on yanking those fuckers?
Second, anyone got a line on online parts in Canada?
>BONUS : anyone got a line on -performance- parts in Canada (Bilsteins or other performance suspension?)
Pic for interest
>>13933661
gonna need a pic
>>
>>13933691
Yeah thought I had the picture, its here >>13933675

is it a tension rod?
>>
>>13933691
Penetrating oil
>>
>>13933675
am I looking at the front, or the back wheel? I think that's a Tie rod I see there, so i'll assume front.

I would have called that a sway bar end link but then I realized the picture's sideways. so that seems like a suspension link.

http://parts.bernarditoyota.com/parts/1987/Toyota/MR2/GT?siteid=216017&vehicleid=86931&diagram=845130

part number 8 is what we're looking for, yes?
>>
>>13933716
That'd be front suspension, yeah.

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/aw11/tension-control-rods-aw11-mr2

"Tension control rod" seems to be what it's called.
>>
>>13933715
multiple generous sprays of PB were sadly no match for those fucking GOD DAMN PIECES OF SHIT! i'm going to throw some shit, I swear to god. this kind of fucking around pisses me off to no end. any particular Jimmying-rattle or something to try?
>>
>>13933752
Beat me to it, gg
>>
>>13933672
Haha, thanks man!
>>
>>13933645

I'd choose the G35 over the impreza. But if you could find a decent WRX for the same-ish price I'd go for that. Infiniti isn't much more expensive to maintain than say Nissan.
>>
How much of a FUCKING RAGING FAGGOT would I be if I got nismo badge/accessories on my regular version car?
>>
>>13933929
Hella
>>
>>13933754
If I were you, I'd use a torch if possible. If you can get away with using one without burning the sensor or anything else important I would try that.

If you can't do that then your only option is to get a cordless sawzall and grinder, then cut that bad boy out. Don't let the car win.
>>
I had my car serviced, replaced all the sparkplugs, changed oil, replaced alternator, new battery.

Why is my car now deafeningly quiet on idle? I dont remember it being this quiet. Is that a good thing?
>>
>>13933967
I´d say thats a good thing. If you can, locate someone with the same car, and compare.
Is that the only symptom?
>>
What the purpose of the white/colored strip on some race car's wheel ?
>>
>>13933992
A pic would be nice.

>>13933951
Well then look like a faggot I will.
>>
File: IMG_4019.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4019.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>13933992
>>13934002
Yes, sorry
Pic from an other thread, this white strip on the wheel
>>
>>13933987
Yeah, the only difference I can tell easily pre-service.

Good idea to find someone with the same car. Shouldnt be too hard to find one in the office parking lot.
>>
>>13934019
I´d say its only purpose is quick, peripheral-vision location of the wheel current position.
Might be wrong, maybe a more knowledgeable anon can tell better.

>>13934022
Generally speaking, the smoother, quieter a machine with moving parts n shizzle, the better. Newer cars, assumption on my part here, are full of electronic trinkets, so yeah, comparing would help best.
>>
>>13934019
so you know your wheels are straight. eg calibrating a steering wheel for a video game.
>>
>>13934036
>>13934043
Yeah, that makes sense
Thanks a lot anons !
>>
>>13932509
How should I clean my engine?
Cover up electrical shit with some tags and just degrease and water the rest of it?
>>
>>13932553
yes brakes plus was definitely trying to kek me with those prices, but the service manager was pretty cool about it, gave me a print out estimate with labor descriptions and part numbers i need, so figuring out what to do has been pretty easy so far i think.

>>13932553
>it blew out 2 spark plugs fucking up the threads
yup i read that the head? where the plugs screw in has a tendency to crack. i've been scared to change mine for a few years now.
>they come with their own grease no?
dont know.
>>
Are Ford vehicles really that unreliable? I wanted a new daily driver and the Focus something I really like. Can anybody list the majority of problems between the 2008 and 2013 models? I know the electronics apparently suck.
>>
File: image_23491.jpg (94KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_23491.jpg
94KB, 1200x1200px
Are Harbour Freight's batteries any good compared to the likes of Duralast / Interstate? Mine is on it's last legs, I also only drive every 3-4 days.
>>
How does bulb sizing work for dash lights?

I bought "T10 194 LED Bulbs" and they fit only 2 out of 10 sockets I have on my instrument panel. The other 8 were about twice as small so I'm wondering what size bulbs I have to buy to actually fit my car?
>>
>>13933212
Make sure you buy a car that only displays miles per hour and has no metric measurement what-so-ever on the car.
>>
File: 20151126_141406.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151126_141406.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Do you guys think itd be possible to just beat the shit out of the frame with a hammer or something to pop it back out? Not looking for it to be pretty, just for it to pop out enough so i can open the hood and fix the coolant tank that got crushed. Also, if i were to do this, would it be more of a problem when i take it to get fixed?
>>
File: 20151127_105334.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151127_105334.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>13936644
>>
What's the deal with the Mazda MX-6? Why are they so cheap and why are they never rusty? Are they reliable? Should I buy one? A sporty coupe with a V6 should cost way more than 500 euros.
>>
>>13936657
They're basically a ford probe afaik, not bad per se just a somewhat undesirable FWDbox.
>>
>>13936705
If I were to choose, should I buy a Probe or an MX-6? Which one handles better? Maybe the MX-6 will rust less? I live in a country with a lot of snow and road salt.
>>
>>13936644
>>13936655
Nice double dubs. But that looks real fucked, does the other side look like that? What happened?
>>
>>13935471
hf sells car batteries?

honestly i just went back to durolast.

i bought an optima and it died in a couple years.
i bought a blaines farm and fleet battery with 7 year warranty because it was cheaper than walmart's, then moved to a state that doesnt have blaines, where it died in under 4 years.

autozones batteries are reasonably priced, autozones are everywhere and can honor the warranty without you having to walk too far.
>>
Is it accurate that if you don't know much about cars that you should go to a big chain like Jiffy Lube. Unless you personally know someone owning a smaller shop, the thinking is that there is no incentive for a guy at Jiffy Lube to rip you off.
>>
>>13936841
You should go to your own garage and do maintenance yourself.
>>
File: p2_01_by_taker163-d80nnym[1].jpg (193KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
p2_01_by_taker163-d80nnym[1].jpg
193KB, 800x600px
Would you drive this if it was an itasha of your waifu of choice?
>>
>>13937482
>itasha on that beautiful old truck
Over the goddamn line.
Put your Chinese cartoon girls on your shitboxes, by all means, but it's a fucking travesty to make-up old American iron like that!

10/10 my jimbos are consternated.
>>
>>13936841
dude, if you can wash dishes you can change your own oil.
and if you can build a lego set you can change your own brake pads.

places like jiffylube are for retards only.

it's worth your time to just learn to do the basics. you won't save much money, but it's worth the piece of mind that some dumbfuck 19 year old that was "trained" for 1 day isn't touching vital systems of your car.
>>
>>13937544
*peace
>>
Most car websites have a "build your own" feature where the user can configure a model of one of their cars to exactly how they want it.

This includes: exterior color, interior, dynamics, wheel size, and more.

My question is how do you bring your configuration of a car to life? How do you buy a new car that is exactly how you configured it on the website?
>>
>>13937594
the dealership will order it if they dont have one that meets the specs.
>>
>>13937608
Awesome. Thank you.
>>
>>13936841
>Is it accurate that if you don't know much about cars that you should go to a big chain like Jiffy Lube.
fuck that shit. man the fuck up and save thousands of dollars.

Step 1. purchase haynes/chiltons repair manuals for your vehicles.

start with doing the stupid easy stuff everyone ought to be doing anyway.

change oil & oil filter
change engine air intake filter
change cabin air filter
change fuel filter
change coolant/radiator fluid
change wiper fluid and wiper blades
change pcv valve
change and rotate and top off your own tires.
change rear differential fluid
change power steering fluid
change transmission fluid & filter
grease body/chassis
I like discount tire. they throw in free rotation/balances every so often, theyre everywhere for warranty.. also hit up discount tire once a month for a free air check whether you shop there or not.
thats how i started. now i have experience in specific systems as they have failed on me.

Brakes -
change brake pads and shoes
change brake fluid
change disc brake hardware
if your rotors need some love, get them turned until the shop says theyre too thin. pep boys, or local machine shop.
Electrical -
Change Bulbs
Do Headlight Restoration
Change Spark Plugs
Change Spark Plug Cables
Change battery when it dies, buy the one with a long warranty
Change alternator brushes when it dies

suspension/steering -
change upper and lower ball joints
change bushings
change end links
Harbor Freight is your friend for tools here. almost all my automotive tools are harbor freight in they are perfectly good for my needs.

exceptions include a Actron OBD2 + ABS reader.
the hf set of metal fuel filter tools, plastic ones are shit.

Autozone is your friend for most maintenance parts.
though I think O'Rielly has a better selection and prices with electrical parts(except car battery, i went with durolast)
Napa is expensive.
no experience with carquest or advanced auto parts.
i think pepboys is expensive and has a shit selection.
>>
>>13937618
things that can be done better with machines i leave to the shop.

so far that's only tire balancing and alignment.
>>
File: 1383609885538.jpg (2MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1383609885538.jpg
2MB, 3872x2592px
>>13932509
how does one calculate the compression ratio on a non-N/A motor
>>
>>13937618
>>13937626
fuck it heres more free advice

buy car wash supplies, air fresheners, and engine oil at walmart.

if you can stand to wait for a package rockauto.com is a great parts selection at the best prices.

i recently got hit the need to do a steering/suspension job on my car. using the free estimate they gave me i priced out what balljoints and bushings i need on amazon was ~$180 at my door, and then rockauto was ~$160 at my door.
>>
Are light flywheels for daily driving really as bad as everyone says?
>>
>>13937618
>change wiper fluid
LOL. Why the fuck would I change it?
>>
>>13933645
Also live in CT, dont see the need for AWD at all seems like auto manufactures push people into being scared into needing it. But then again I purposely go out every time it snows. Ive driven RWD 1 tire fire cars and FWD/AWD in the snow. If your worried with FWD/RWD just buy a good set of snow tires and you'll be good to go.
>>
>>13933675
>>13933661
Here again, I would now like to ask if anyone on /o/ has any performance part stores/sites to take a look at. I'll be upgrading/replacing those tension bars as well as the strut pistons because my front end suspension is /fucked/
>>
File: 1448660299511-1899630841.jpg (971KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1448660299511-1899630841.jpg
971KB, 2448x3264px
Is this true? How can it be? 2x 50 watt bulbs vs using seat warmers.
Hmm. How does that differ from regular headlights?
>>
>>13936763
Nah. I was turning from one side of a big 8 lane 2 way road, instead of sitting there waiting i turned into the closest lane to slowly move over after the cars passed. Right before i finished the turn i got hit by my back passenger side, spun, then slammed them with my front passenger side. Imo it looks kinda bad, but i dont think its anything i couldnt fix with a few hours and a hammer. I just need it to work decently for now. As far as i know everything still works/runs and the only damage is a oopped tire and the frame in the pics
>>
Would a clutch cost that much to replace? I wanna learn to wrench and this will be my first car so I figure why not.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5330757411.html
>>
>>13932680

I'm sure it depends on the scene, plus the weather doesn't help.

What do you drive?
>>
>>13932509
Car bucks and stutters under wide open throttle. I was told it's the MAF getting wet through the CAI which makes sense because it's been wet as fuck the last few days where I live. Does that make sense? If so, do I need a new MAF or just to clean it?
>>
If a car with an autotragic transmission connects the wheels to the drivetrain as soon as you put it on Drive, why doesn't the engine stall when the wheels aren't moving?
>>
>>13938912
Because magic you dumb motherfucker
>>
>>13938912
It doesn't. Automatic transmissions use a torque converter, which is basically two fans (one attached to the engine and the other attached to the tranny which is attached to the wheels) that push each other using a viscous liquid. When you're above a certain engine speed, the two fans lock together, transferring 100% power. At a stop however, one is spinning and the other isn't, simple as that.
>>
I think my alternator is dying. I recently replaced the battery on my 02 Malibu and today I got battery light and ABS light.

Can I use the alternator of a 2007 Pontiac Torrent in my 2002 Chevy Malibu?
>>
>>13938912
>>13939175

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leCEmJA0WsI
>>
>>13939253

Can I use a 150-155 AMP Alternator(Torrent) instead of a 105 AMP alternator(Malibu)? Will something blow up?
>>
>>13939175
>When you're above a certain engine speed, the two fans lock together, transferring 100% power
Isn't that only on newer cars?
>>
I'd like to drop $2000 and pick up a 1997 Mercedes Benz E class that looks solid enough on the surface and has 160k miles on it. (I've yet to see it for real though because it's two and a half hours away.)

Will I most likely spend more than it's worth maintaining it? Or will most things that tend to go wrong with them just be fixable from home?
>>
>>13939399
see
>>13939268
>>
>>13939400

Well /o/ meme is that Mercedes or german luxury is maintenance hell but I'll let someone with more experience give you a real answer.
>>
Can't make up my mind on what to do for wheels over the winter.

Should I:
>Sell current wheels for around $800, then put that money towards the set that I really want which cost around $2,400
>Keep current wheels and have them refinished and rebuilt to the specs I want which would cost around $1,500
>>
>>13939460
Why the fuck don't you have two sets of wheels you fucking poorfag
>>
>>13939477
Sold most of my wheels over the summer. Had 6 sets, but I'm down to just 2 now.
>>
>>13939569
well then stop
>>
>>13939569
>>13939477
And summer/winter setups. I guess I could've worded that better. The car's going to be parked for the winter, so I want to either have my wheels rebuilt, or buy new wheels for the Spring when I take the car back out for the year.
>>
Is this traffic light 'hack' legit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAacxGiV4A&feature=iv&src_vid=_1cgE2GaFko&annotation_id=annotation_949743
>>
Coloradoan here, are tint laws enforced? I have been looking around and see that our state law specifies 70% on the front windows and 27% on the rest. but looking at sample pics online im sure i see cars with like 20% all the way around(except windshield).
>>
>>13942634
Tint laws specify maximum tint levels, not mandatory tint. So yes, in your sitch yes 20% all around is okay.
>>
File: IMG_20151128_120427.jpg (88KB, 1076x530px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151128_120427.jpg
88KB, 1076x530px
>>13937652
Compression ratio doesn't change with forced induction
>>
What would you swap into a kustom kruiser themed Citroen DS,assuming you can keep the hydropneumatic system? Current options would be:
>heavily boosted Saab four cilinder w/ manual gearbox. FWD only.
>Olds 455/Caddillac 500 w/ 3 speed automatic. FWD only.
>Audi V6 turbodiesel w/ 7 speed DCT or 6 speed manual. FWD and AWD available
Saab would be easiest, Olds/Caddy would fit the kustom theme(and would look awesome with a Roots blower) and the VAG would provide awesome gas mileage.
>>
>>13936657
The MX-5 exists: lighter, droptop, RWD, similar power. If you want a light, FWD V6 Mazda, consider the MX-3, it has an awesome, revhappy V6(compared to the lumpy MX-6 unit), with a great chassis balance.

>>13936841
Quality at Jiffy lube is iffy (heh). Best look up online reviews for a good, indepedent local garage. Even better if it specialises in your car brand.

>>13937652
CR= volume at BDC divided by volume at TDC. Adding boost changes nothing, except the fact that your mixture is already pressurised slightly - it still gets compressed X times inside the engine.

>>13937739
If it's in proportion to your vehicle weight,no. If it isn't, yes, taking off can be a bitch. However, that light weight does add to throttle response. Go look up Honda's RC166, that thing revved to a sky-high redline in less then a second. Could actually blow up if you revved it too much in neutral. Once your flywheel is that light,you might want to reconsider driving it on the street.
>>
>>13938867
>car aimed at young male driver demographic
>high miles
>broken parts
>bad maintenance
>well below market
Like I told you last time, RUN.

>>13938911
I'd try and clean it. Should be cheaper than shelling out for a new one. Or you could try removing the Wet Air Intake.

>>13939400
The W210 E-class generation is known to have exponentionaly more issues (especially electric) compared to the older W124 ones. If you're dead set on a luxury sedan from the 90's, look at an LS400. Those caused a lot of panic for ze Germans.
>>
hey fellas, I just replaced the outer tie-rod ends on my aw11, but im unsure whether or not I need to fill them with grease or something. is that what the hole on the bottom is for? comes with a plug for the hole in the bottom also.

Thanks.
>>
How fucked am I if I only get rear winter tires for my corvette.
>>
>>13944508
Very fucked.
>>
>>13944663
Oh yeah, because it's a fwd car. My bad.
>>
I've got a car that has a few issues under hard acceleration. Namely, when I hit the gas really quickly the car tends to stumble for a fraction of a second before going wide open. Sometimes it just plain stalls out. I also sometimes have to prime the carburetor manually with gas to start it. Does this sound like an accelerator pump issue? I'm planning on rebuilding the carburetor in the future so I'd like to know what I should focus on when I do.
>>
>>13943651
MAFfag here. I cleaned it, same issue, a new one fixed it. Needs new exhaust now. Gonna order a hydroshield thing. I just bought the car and I'm pretty pissed that it needs this done to it but oh well.
>>
>>13944722
It's just generally not a good idea to only put winter tires on one axle. The wheels that get winter skins might maintain traction, but the wheels that do not will not maintain traction.
>>
>>13942337
sounds like bullshit to me
>>
What does O/D do?
What happens when i turn it off?
How difficult is it to install Power Steering on a car without Power Steering?
Would it be difficult if the same models came with Power Steering?

Explain like you would to a chimpanzee with a phd.
>>
>>13945388
Oooh oooh ooh, aah aah!
>>
File: SeriouslyCmon.jpg (21KB, 450x299px) Image search: [Google]
SeriouslyCmon.jpg
21KB, 450x299px
>>13932509
How cheap is it to build a sand rail around 800-1000cc?
>>
>>13945438
$12-30k for a basic one.
>>
>>13945388
O/D means Over Drive, it is basically a set of high gears for automatic transmissions.

Turning it off means you force the transmission to not go beyond a certain gear (usually 3rd), useful when towing or going uphill and you don't want the gearbox to upshift too much.

Difficult if the car never came with it, easy as pie if there is a variant of the same car (with the same engine) with power steering.
>>
File: Booby.png (533KB, 1189x896px) Image search: [Google]
Booby.png
533KB, 1189x896px
>>13945449
Alright, someone who's not retarded, can you please answer my question?
>>
>>13945455
over drive means past 1:1

in most automatics it simply allows the car to get into the overdrive gear which is typically .7:1 or so.

some probably alter the kick down and kick up too, but mostly it's just the over drive gear.
>>
>>13945470
It's 10-40K for a basic one. Not the same anon.
>>
File: mp01-9-full.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mp01-9-full.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
>>13945470
You're the retard..

What the fuck does you question even mean. How advanced? What kind of engine? What kind of chassis? DOM, Mild, or Chromoly chassis? Self welded or a shop? Self designed or a shop? Self built or a shop? How much travel? What kind of suspension if any at all?

It could be as cheap as $12k it could be expensive as $30k or even way higher depending on how sophisticated it is.

get out of my fucking galaxy noob
>>
hey guys how much does it cost to build a race car, thanks

please no retards, i want a very specific answer to my very specific question
>>
>>13942337
bumping for this I'm curious
>>
>>13945486
>sand rail
>engine in the front

what the fuck? i did a doubletake when i saw that.
>>
>>13945200
its how traffic lights detect cars.

>>13946475
Its mostly applicable for mopeds that dont have the mass to trigger the lights.

That said most small cars and larger bikes will trigger it easily.

Also most traffic lights operate on a cycle "just in case" traffic doesnt trigger the lights. however you'll get a faster cycle if you do trigger it that way.

its not "instant green light" its more like "help the traffic lights detect you"
>>
>>13945510
Take price of a car and add;
+$2,000 for a rollcage
+$600 for a good harness
+$400 for a good seat
+$160 for motorsport certification on car.

There 1x Racecar built
Accessories sold separately, some assembly required.
>>
>>13946510
so it is bullshit.
>>
>>13945388
O/D raises the shift points in an automatic gearbox so that the car enters its powerband more.. used for overtaking/towing/ needing to go faster.

When you turn it off the car will try to keep fuel economy high and wont want to go fast.

Installing power steering is hard unless there was a variant of your car with the same engine/drivetrain that had power steering.

If you have the same car with a power steering option it is generally easy to swap them over.
>>
My FJ Cruiser is kicking my ass for gas and I need a new vehicle. I'm looking at these two, are they gonna be at all as reliable as my current ride (91k miles, only service needed has been routine shit like filters, shocks, etc). And can they haul a drum set/do the seats fold down in WRX wagons? Most importantly... Will I see at all better mileage (mostly thinking highway here) or should I toss these aside and just get an Outback.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5269477530.html

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5307355163.html
>>
>>13932680
I mean, we could make one. Most of the meets around Central MA are clubs or boomers. Thankfully natural selection/weather keeps the number of stancefag meets down. But yeah look into clubs.
>>
what to use to paint my steel wheels black?
>>
>>13946976
liberal use of brake cleaner
Followed by lots of water to rice it all off
then wire wheel them to remove old paint and rust
wash with water
then paint with rattlecans

if yoiu want a slightly better finish, attack them with 240 grit sandpaper after wire wheeling then clean and paint.
Then apply clearcoat.
>>
>>13946976
This was used to get this finish on the suspension. i didnt even take the advanced route. just brake cleaned, washed, wire wheeled, washed, dried then sprayed with a satin black semi-gloss paint.

The calliper is just bare metal.
>>
>>13946976
spray paint

or get them sandblasted and powder coated for cheap when they do a black run
>>
>Changed oil today
>Old oil was pitch black
>Only 2,500 miles since last change

Is this bad?
>>
>>13947184
get a new filter.
>>
>>13943151
Anyone?
>>
>>13945388
Adapting power steering to a car that had it as an option, but isn't equipped with it, can be very easy. A car that never had the option will be harder, but not impossible given aftermarket solutions, or rigging somethibg up using junkyard parts.

To explain OD, we first have to explain a regular gearbox. Think of a four speed manual, with ratios
0.25 to 1 (first gear, underdriven, meaning the engine output speed is higher than the transmission output speed)
0.50 to 1 (second gear, underdrive)
0.75 to 1 (third gear, underdrive)
1.00 to 1 (fourth gear, direct drive, 1 to 1, meaning both output shafts turn at the same speed).
Go watch the Engineering Explained video on gearboxes if you can't understand gear ratios.
Now, say you turn 3000RPM@60mph in fourth gear. Now, imagine a fifth gear, ratio 1.25 to 1. This gear would be OverDriven, meaning the transmission output shaft turns slower than the rngine output shaft. This lowers engine RPM for a given speed, so you'd be turning 2250RPM@60mph. Lower engine speed for a given road speed reduce both fuel consumption and wear and rotating components. Manufacturers used to velieve an overdrive gear is something really special(it isn't), so they'd advertise heavily with OVERDRIVE TRANSMISSION in big bold letters, instead of just saying it had a fifth gear. Nowadays, you can have an eight speed gearbox, with both seventh and eigth gear being overdrive gears.
>>
Where can I read about how cars work and optimization and self-repair? This board is pretty cool, but there aren't any really any resources in the sticky like most other threads. Don't know much about motorized vehicles but I find them interesting. ty
>>
>>13948135
you have that backwards m8

1st gear is like 4:1 and OD is 0.7:1
>>
>>13948188
Gear tooth count (input to output) is 1 to 4, input speed to output speed is 4 to 1. What matters is that overdrive gears reduce RPM, particularly at cruising.
>>
>bought an audi
>over the year it's given me a million problems that costed a fortune to fix

>cant drive it without being paranoid about it
>want to sell it

should i, /o/?

i miss my old bmw, it never gave me a single problem despite treating it like shit.
>>
File: RAM.png (614KB, 480x626px) Image search: [Google]
RAM.png
614KB, 480x626px
Hello yes

how do I make miata fast

I want to swap rotary but holla holla gte dollar

do i use honda motor with NOS and tarbo?
>>
>>13948205
Sell it.

>>13948215
From least to most work:
Built motor
Turbo
Honda K swap
V8 swap
Honda K swap plus turbo

If you want a rotary Mazda, buy an RX7.
>>
How hard/dangerous is changing shocks without a spring compressor?
>>
>>13948466
Depending on the car it can be pretty fuckin dangerous. Some anon almost got his face ripped off in my garage changing the springs on another anons mustang. Shit was freaky. Many part stores will lend you them for like a 70$ deposit which you get back. Takes like 30min and saves you potentially getting fucked up.
>>
>>13942337
Yes.
>>
>>13948179
Do you have a car you can work on?
Search the net for its workshop manual.
In there you will find detailed explanations of every single system and subsystem installed on that car. Plus you will find instructions for pretty much every conceivable mechanical job you may have to do on it.
Every manufacturer has its own set of manuals.

Those manuals are of course very focused on a particular car or group of cars and, while the logic behind most stuff is the same for every car, you will still only learn how that logic is applied by that particular manufacturer.

If you need something more generic, start with wikipedia and work your way through the citations, where you will find plenty of specialised books and documents that will satisfy your curiosity.
Alternatively, go to a library that serves universities and ask for a basic engineering book about vehicles.
>>
>>13943151
>>13948099
Bump. Curious to know as well.

Also, I just saw the last episode of Roadkill (Olds 455 in the bed of a Mazda pickup). Which of those three options (Olds 455, Saab inline four, Audi V6) would be best to put in the bed of another pickup? Mk1 caddy's are cheap fuck, that seems like a stupidly good stupid idea. Might even be able to retain the Fwd drivetraib for extra stupidity.
>>
I got hit the other day and they wrecked my rear.
Their insuarance covered all damage, my rear is now plastic instead of the sturdy material in the front (fibre glass?) and the underside looks like foam. How much did they duck my car up?
>>
File: 00 LS side view - small.jpg (35KB, 800x281px) Image search: [Google]
00 LS side view - small.jpg
35KB, 800x281px
>>13943651

I actually just found an 97 LS400 on CL for $900. It has 300k miles on it and only says the power steering whines and needs to be replaced. It seems like a deal if everything is still holding up, granted I don't know what hidden problems it could potentially have or how much longer everything will live after 300,000 miles.

/o/pinions?
>>
I have a 92 s-10 with the 6 cylinder 2.8 in it and I'm looking to put a V8 in it does anyone have a price/ will i just look like a retard for actually putting money into a truck that makes me look like a fucking Mexican
>>
Will there ever be a time when facts dictate the car market instead of opinions and all modification is done to improve performance (even efficiency/fuel economy performance) instead of a need to personalise the car?
>>
I am looking at Nissan Z31 owned by family.

Uncle jokingly (or legitimately, not sure which) asked someone else if I wanted to make an offer.

Gas gauge does not work (but pretends to work) and has minor body damage, nothing bad but would make collector of any sort lose boner.

I might want to make offer.

Any ideas of where to start on price? I am fine with getting jewed a little since it's family, but I do not want to make offer for lots when in fact offer should be for less lots.
>>
File: volvogrill.jpg (200KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
volvogrill.jpg
200KB, 1024x682px
>>13948871
>implying your car wasn't plastic to begin with

>>13950040
>has never owned a car
>>
File: rim.png (3MB, 892x1597px) Image search: [Google]
rim.png
3MB, 892x1597px
bad idea to drive on this?

Acura RSX

right rear tire
>>
>>13951296
It can let go at any time really. Drive it to get it fixed, but don't drive it around thinking "lol I fixed it xddd"
>>
>>13951296
that tire is so about to explode...
>>
>>13951296
Future deadman
>>
File: fresh2.jpg (200KB, 1245x930px) Image search: [Google]
fresh2.jpg
200KB, 1245x930px
What are you guys thoughts on the chrysler 300?
>>
I didn't know these threads were a thing.

I've got a downstream o2 sensor high voltage code (P0138) popping up only when my engine is not warm. I reset it, because I hate the light being on.

It only happens when the engine is cold, and it's cold out. Will go off if I let engine idle to warmth before driving

Is my CAT fucked or is it just a bad sensor?
>>
>>13951656

Ayyy, fellow Chrysler-fag.

Only problem is that ugly shark-fin, the in-dash screen not being one that hides away, and it looking too much like a Bentley.
>>
>>13951656
watched one almost hit a deer even after driving like a granny yesterday. Do not want.
>>
File: PA, best roads.jpg (271KB, 1107x623px) Image search: [Google]
PA, best roads.jpg
271KB, 1107x623px
>>13951296
I made it 50 miles on pic related, but that was only so I could get home and put different wheels on.
>>
>>13951682

What's that got to do with it?
>>
>>13951808
>can't draw conclusion
that even going 35 in a 45 mph zone it still didn't have enough room to brake DESPITE GOING UPHILL and tapped the deer.

>tl:dr your car can't brake
>source: I seen it.
>>
So my sunroof somehow flew of my Honda civic. Any recommendations on how I should keep the rain out?
>>
>>13952218
create a replacement out of plywood. use deck stain to finish wood.

now you are classy.

or maybe call some salvage yards to see if they have one for cheap, or pull one from a junkyard.
>>
So the clear coat on my shitbox has mostly peeled away and I'm starting to get specks of rust showing. What is the best stopgap measure to keep rust from eating my car alive until I can get the supplies fully repaint it? I was thinking of sanding down and repainting the areas that have rust by hand until I can get the supplies to do a proper job but if anybody has other methods I'm all ears.
>>
>>13952727
1) sand and prep rusty spots
2) prime (2 or 3 coats)
3) Stickerbomb
4) ????????
5) profit
>>
>>13951671
sounds like a bad sensor, if your cat was toast it would throw a different code (probably p0420)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHfWxNIuruA

>best music ever.
>>
>>13950740
>family not giving you a deal
your family sucks, anon.

You could use kelly blue book, but it always seems to overvalue price. best local way is to call a local dealer and ask what they would give you for trade in on it; they usually offer about half to 1/4 of the value depending on condition.
>>
>>13949695
seems pretty good, but the mileage... i'd offer $450 max, getting cars past 350k can be challenging

>inb4 new p/s system is $1500
>>
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5311436135.html

Is this worth it?
>>
I plan on buying a 5.7L grand Cherokee, but am reluctant due to my neighbors having literally 4 mall crawlers, one of which is a GC...and the fucking wave thing. Is that only wrangler owners?
>>
>>13953287
yes
>>
>>13948594
Nobody?
>>
>>13949695
Mechanical stuff is relatively easy on those, electrics aren't. Make sure it really is just the power steering. Otherwise, 900 seems like a good price, but I'd lowball the guy. if you're unsure about how long an LS400 will hold up after 300.000, they have about the same reliability record as naturally occurring gravity-based fission generator.

>>13950019
Get a V8 one instead. It'll be cheaper than a swap.

>>13950040
As long as we have not ascended this mortal plane no. Come to think of it, when we do, we don't need cars anyways, so, no.

>>13950740
Depends on what kind of Z31. Barebone n/a model might be fine, but a twinturbo one can be a mechanics hell. They are solid chassis though.
Now, if your uncle isn't giving you a deal, and is actively trying to jew you, walk away. If you could find that exact car somewhere else for a lower price, go do that. Keep in mind you're doing him a favor by getting that hassle out of his driveway.

>>13951656
Niggers.

>>13952218
Junkyard replacement, or a plexiglas sheet cut to fit for mad weight reduction.

>>13953287
Offer 2500.

>>13953314
It's mostly Wrangler owners, yes, but sometimes you'll get waved at. Just ignore those faggots.
>>
File: IMG_0567-2.jpg (498KB, 778x1383px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0567-2.jpg
498KB, 778x1383px
Any kind of suggestions for straightening this shit out? Body shop doesn't want to touch it for less than a few grand.
>>
>>13954119
wrap it with a chain and wrap the rest of the chain around a tree and reverse
>>
I'm considering the Subaru WRX as a car to BUY NEW.
But i have looked at the Honda Civic SI and i hear the new ones are coming out sometime next year. I live in the north east so im kinda leaning toward AWD for the winters.

My father's Honda Accord got stuck in the snow one year and i took 3 big guys to push him out.

Anyone own a WRX, whats it like? Is it easy to drive? How fun is it? I don't know how to drive stick fully but im learning.
>>
>>13953287
probably not
>>
>>13954287
Sounds good
>>
>>13954322
>Should I get a WRX or not a WRX?

The choice is clear.
>>
>>13954322
>I want a WRX
>I don't like getting stuck in snow
>there's a lot of snow near me

You answered yourself. Yes, they're easy to drive, fun too, especially on slippery winter roads provided you have good tires. You'll manage to learn stick soon enough.
>>
how much oil consumption does it take to fail a smog test in california?

i'm in the market for a g35 and people are saying that some models burn a quart every 1000 miles (i expect probably even more consumption if driven spiritually)
>>
>>13952216

They brake just fine. They meet the regulations for stopping distance and safety requirements by a long shot, like basically every car.

Cunt
>>
I realize this isnt really a car, but im out of ideas as to what to do. My scooter cant maintain any speed very well, and it also cant idle after driving/reving it for a second. It just drops straight down to dead if i let off the gas. Currently if i give it a bit of gas while stopped, just enough to get the engine going a bit more, its fine. As for maintaining speed, i cant even go a mile without it trying to die. I have to let off the gas entirely, coast for a bit, then try the gas again. Sometimes it works, other times it just wants to die so o have to spend a minute or two starting it. After it dies a few times these issues arent as bad, but still pretty bad. Any ideas as to why? Already replaced the fuel filter and ran a shit ton of chemtool b12 or whatever through the fuel system, and got a new battery. I was told it might have something to do with compression, but havent been able to check that yet
>>
>>13955051
It also cant reach anywhere near the speeds it used to. It can only hit around 35 if im lucky, where it used to hit 50 on straight roads
>>
>>13954021

I understand it is favor. It is just the regular one, not the turbo version thankfully.

I am mostly just buying it because it is inspected until August and if it cannot pass inspection, I can hawk it to a used dealer or junk it and then use my saved money from there to buy new car.

I am thinking $2000 is a fair offer, but must do more research. I do not want to cheat my family or myself.

>>13952920

I do not know if he will give deal. He was not thinking of selling it until asked my mother if I wanted to make an offer on it.

I'm mostly just driving it to work as replacement for vehicle that now has no brakes and would cost more than current market value to repair.
>>
>>13954456
All manufacturers would call that normal.
>>
alright, /o/
my 95 taurus wagon's left turn signal will not turn off. if i move the stick to the center, it stays on, and if i turn the right signal on, the left signal still stays on, what do?
>>
Best way to clean out a header/exhaust manifold?

The car i bought last week has an aftermarket one installed, the old owner threw in all the stock parts.
Im trying to return it to stock condition then gonna sell the aftermarket bullshit.
>>
File: 30981500018_large.jpg (164KB, 575x431px) Image search: [Google]
30981500018_large.jpg
164KB, 575x431px
So I've been looking for a 1996+ shitbox that will last me a long time, and still costs no more than about 3k. My current top pick is the 2000-2001 toyota corolla, pic related. Any other cheap, fuel efficient, and reliable cars for less than 3k that I should consider?
>>
in a water/methanol-system can i use diesel instead of methanol?
>>
>>13956230
why would you want to use diesel
>>
>>13956230
No. Doesn't evaporate as easy as water or meth, besides, it's more expensive, and won't add power.
>>
File: 1500SilveradoCrewCab.jpg (47KB, 600x273px) Image search: [Google]
1500SilveradoCrewCab.jpg
47KB, 600x273px
I want to get a Chevy 1500 Crew Cab with under 80,000 mi.
How much can I expect to pay for any year model from 2003-2009 at a public auto auction?
I know it's an auction and you bid, but they're obviously a lot cheaper than buying a used car from a dealer or owner because of the inherent risk.
>>
>>13956074
Check turn signal relay (which is probably inside the steering column)

Is something else happening with the lights? Like normal lights turning off when braking, stop lights blinking when braking with a turn signal active or lights interfering with each other in general? In that case, check the grounds.
>>
File: 1445821420663.png (913KB, 1022x629px) Image search: [Google]
1445821420663.png
913KB, 1022x629px
E30 has a clunking sound sometimes when I turn to the right.

Also it pulls to the right randomly. Sometimes it pulls hard after a bump, or it will just not pull at all. Going from full lock right to left seems to make it temporary disappear

what do?
>>
>>13956874
I had a similar problem on my miata, turns out one of the alignment bolts backed out and was changing the toe. check your eccentric bolts/alignment bolts.
>>
File: 1448514507427-o.gif (443KB, 291x168px) Image search: [Google]
1448514507427-o.gif
443KB, 291x168px
>>13937820
Optimize your wipes per gallon
>>
I want to get a cheap dash cam.
Most likely from a chink page.
Can anyone give some advice?
>>
>>13956224
look at the fucking sticky, goddamn.
>>
>>13956154
soak it in laquer thinner (or paint thinner whatever ya got) or just make a dish soak dip. if it removes grease and grime from your dishes why wouldn't it from your parts?

>source: just cleaned a volvo pcv oil trap this way, also rev ur engines guy
>>
File: 1439615940146.gif (32KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1439615940146.gif
32KB, 250x250px
>>13954587
>doesn't want to hear negative shit about his car
okay dude your car brakes like a truck but whatever here's some rose colored glasses for ya.

Slut
>>
>>13935634
My German car only displays MPH.
You just have to get an older car to get that.
>>
In my Vauxhall/Opel Astra the brake pedal is too high or accelerator too low to heel and toe unless heavy braking any fix?
>>
File: 1441138163961.png (763KB, 1126x844px) Image search: [Google]
1441138163961.png
763KB, 1126x844px
>>13954456
>spiritually driven
the father, the son, and the killer fukn hotrod THIS SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!
>>
File: 23471755366.jpg (9KB, 172x160px) Image search: [Google]
23471755366.jpg
9KB, 172x160px
>mfw the title comes in the mail after going through a load of bullshit
>>
I've been handed down a car that was smoked in. What are some ways to get rid of the smell?
>>
File: 1442357524288s.jpg (7KB, 250x205px) Image search: [Google]
1442357524288s.jpg
7KB, 250x205px
>>13958295
light incense in it, get black ice smelly trees, febreeze the headliner.

>inb4 smoke weed in it
>>
File: jeanluc.jpg (28KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
jeanluc.jpg
28KB, 694x530px
>>13957864
>mfw car passes smog test after two fails and i get my sticker
Wet days in the mornings, aut/o/ists, best time for smog test
>>
>>13957543
>dagumi intensifies
Adjust the pushrod height of the brake i would imagine would be the easiest fix
>>
>tfw think I need to change the guibo coupler
>getting a lot of play in the wheel, and some serious jerking in the rain
Anyone ever have to replace this? Not the full guibo, just the coupler.
>>
>>13959151
>Guibo
it's spelled giubo

heh, jew-bo.
>>
>>13958295
There are some sanitizers sprays, I don't really know if that is the actual name of those things, they usually come in cans and most shops give you one when you service your car (especially if you changed the cabin filter).
You open the can, put it inside your car and let it spray until empty, while keeping the fan running at full power. It goes everywhere and sticks for a while, usually gets rid of any bad smell.
>>
>>13945470
12-30 corollas
>>
>>13957489
Okay ill try soaking it in dish soap.
I am but the part isnt attached to the car, its sitting in the trunk.

If i remember ill try and get a pic of it
>>
File: 301910_01[1].jpg (23KB, 394x347px) Image search: [Google]
301910_01[1].jpg
23KB, 394x347px
>>13960411
deox-c if we're talking corroded metal
>>
>>13960419
Naw not corroded, just alot of black shit (prob carbon) built up in it.
I want to totally clean the part off and put it back on my car.

Car is an 82 Corolla hardtop
>>
what should I watch out for when buying an MRS?
>>
everything in my glove box is wet... how did this happen?
>>
>>13960494
Do you have an heated/cooled glovebox? Some condensation might have found its way in there through the dedicated vent.

Alternatively, it could be a leak from the air vents, in case the glovebox sits under or next to the fan assembly.

Check your floor for water/coolant
>>
Does anyone have any experience with ozone generators? I have some cigar and dog smell I need to get rid of.
>>
say you were in a crash, and it was determined to be your fault. what happens if the other person dies, but not due to anything relating to the crash, like a heart attack or something? do you still have to pay, and their insurance company just keeps the money? does it go to family members?
>>
File: Capture.png (20KB, 506x599px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
20KB, 506x599px
Rebuilding my 350 engine. Some anon gave me great advice about DCR and cam selection. Now I'm at a point where I'm almost ready to order all my parts. One issue I have though is the quench.

I'm reading that the quench for a mildly build SBC should be anywhere from .04 to .05. That should ensure smooth running with no detonation. They say anything under .4 and you're playing with fire. I can get about .064 with 'stock' replacements for the engine. That is, normal deck height, and standard head gasket size.

With the calculated stats, I can only get a pretty high quench. Is this acceptable? Should I try to get it lower? The only thing I can seem to get it lower is by either lowering my deck height, or getting a thinner headgasket. The thinnest I've found on Summit is a .027" gasket. Is that a safe size to run? I've read that some people say that gaskets have become thicker for no reason, where manufacturers would run very thin from the factory back in the day.
>>
Will being going to look at a 96 ranger with 84 on the OD, problem is, the airbag has been deployed, vehicle history doesnt how anything but a rear impact accident from 2013 with the details of 'slight' damage. Guy says its from hitting a deer. What do?
>>
I own a 99 Altima and have a recent issue I can't seem to fix. Motor cranks and runs fine, but once it warms up, it will idle low/rough and fluctuate almost to the point of stalling. Check Engine was on and was misfiring, so I replaced all the spark plugs, wires, distributor, and rotor. Idle issue is still there. Not sure what the issue is but I plan on trying to figure it out soon. Any ideas?
>>
>>13961152
I suppose an investigation will start anyway if the death happened shortly after the crash, to see if the person really died because of unrelated causes.
If it turns out that the crash had nothing to do with the death, then nothing happens.

In my country your insurance pays for the damage caused to others up to the amount you both agreed in the contract you signed (assuming you were at fault, of course), anything beyond that comes from your pockets and goes to whoever is the first in line for inheritance.

I'm no lawyer or insurer tho, so I don't know for sure
>>
when will honda release a good car again
>>
> have drive a low displacement, abuse-friendly shitbox as a first, cheap car (NOT a Honda)
> fulfill boyracing fantasies, rev anytime when engine is warm, drive hard in corners
> suddenly new Jetta TDI, my driving attitude stays unchanged

I know diesels are exactly opposite of what I do with a car. Could it survive 50K kms by me or I'm too much of a danger to such drivetrain?
>>
Reliability of the '97 Camaro? Guy wants $1500 for it, has about 195k miles on it and he says he rebuilt the transmission really recently. Will it last a while longer or am I just buying a giant problem?
>>
What are the pros and cons of supercharging you car and why isn't it more popular?
>>
I replaced my oil pan gasket but the cork gasket had spread a little bit outside of the oil pan, should I cut that part away with a blade or just leave it be?
>>
>>13961479
What is type R.
>>
>>13961735
With super charging you get instant and linear power delivery at the cost of increase fuel consumption. With turbocharging you get laggy power delivery but at not really an increase of fuel consumption.
Don't really know why it isn't as popular though.
>>
>>13962321
leave it
you didnt use oil resistant rtv silicone?
>>
>>13962356
I used both, so I applied it normally but put a cork gasket on top of the silicone and then to the engine block so I wouldn't have to scrape shit off of the engine block again.
>>
>>13961397
replace with aftermarket wheel that's 2 wycked.
>>
File: ss (2015-11-03 at 09.46.26).png (18KB, 86x80px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-11-03 at 09.46.26).png
18KB, 86x80px
I want to buy a nice car 30k
I also want to buy a house with a garage 100k

How much harder will it be to buy a nice car after I buy a house. And vice versa?
Would it be dumb to have 20k and drop it on a car rather than a house?
>>
File: 1442887735874.jpg (80KB, 417x600px) Image search: [Google]
1442887735874.jpg
80KB, 417x600px
>>13962991
>living in house is better than living in car
>save money not paying rent, buy nice car faster

seems like a no-brainer, anon.
>>
File: 1363315451835.jpg (118KB, 895x592px) Image search: [Google]
1363315451835.jpg
118KB, 895x592px
>>13962517
not to sound like an ass over the internet but i hope that shit sealed for you

i know its a pain in the taint to scrape that shit off but it makes a good seal

having used both like that, i dunno dude its usually one or the other with rtv being the norm now.
>>
>>13962991
save up more while waiting to see how shit turns out

or invest in real gold bars you can hold in your hand and bury or throw in a safe
>>
>>13963025

It's just my mom is adamant about me living with her, and I figured having electricity, water, mortgage, home insurance, on top of my shitbox's own gas and insurance...
That it would be more than enough to deter me from getting a nice car in the future.

>>13963040

You got it. I've been at these crossroads for a year now. And my savings went up from 2k to 20k in that year.
>>
>>13963081
>my mom is adamant about me living with her
cool, have fun living with your mom. I'm sure you'll get laid.

>Things cost money
>you forgot phone/internet
rent some rooms or get a better job.

Seriously it's like you want to live with your mom.
>>
>>13963129

I get laid just fine.
I'm working at Ford's KTP plant.
>>
>>13961735
Aren't superchargers less universal than turbos? I seriously don't know.
Also, variable geometry turbos seem to attenuate lag and RPM performance dependency.
>>
File: 1446486737117.jpg (36KB, 350x464px) Image search: [Google]
1446486737117.jpg
36KB, 350x464px
>>13963139
>gets laid at moms house
EWWWWWWWWWWWW
>>
>>13963164

She was legitimately upset with me when she saw two girls going into my room, and opened my door with them both laying in bed with me nude.
GG.
She then made them pancakes.

My mom is a very nice lady.
>>
File: 1446744086833.jpg (23KB, 395x395px) Image search: [Google]
1446744086833.jpg
23KB, 395x395px
>>13963172
>mom cockblocks
>still wants to cohabitate

then why did you even ask the original question you mook stop wasting my time fukn ford slave.
>>
File: ss (2015-10-29 at 04.43.35).png (53KB, 239x215px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-10-29 at 04.43.35).png
53KB, 239x215px
>>13963191

The deed was already done
>>
>>13963172
Goddamn it.
Get out of mommy's house.
Buy an RV or a van and do that bitch up in shag like a '70s rock band and live in that bitch. Pussy magnet.
>>
File: 1439579889374.jpg (39KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
1439579889374.jpg
39KB, 625x469px
>>13963204
>...and then when we were done anon started strutting around naked but suddenly anons mom burst in and yelled at him for not letting her watch and then made us pancakes.

good luck fucking those grills again, top lel.
>>
>>13932509
how bad is it to have collapsed engine mounts?
im not sure if it was just one or both.
im getting it fixed asap but im a poorfag and need to save cash to get it done.
>>
>>13939399
Torque converter lock up isn't a new idea
>>
>>13963436
Depends, it may cause damage to the engine or frame if it rattles hard enough.
>>
I want to buy a Corvette, but none of the dealers have the specifics Corvette I want (2lt shark gray with black wheels)

Is it possible to order the car from Chevrolet and have it sent to the dealer? How do I do it?
>>
>>13963503
rattling isnt too bad,
sometimes i feel a slight jolt or movement.
when idling you can feel vibration from gearstick.
>>
>>13963035
Yeah if it didn't seal I pretty much have to take it to the mechanic because every part holding up the exhaust has 1 bolt which is completely fucked.
>>
>>13963552
Most cars have some vibration in gear stick.

But if its not bad then yeah milk it for awhile.
>>
>>13963626
ahk, sometimes vibration is severe to the point of it being visually discernible.
when i was getting my pink slip for registration, the mechanic commented on it.
>>
anyone own a first gen acura TSX? I'm about to pick one up in a few days. 07 6 speed manual.
>>
File: 20151201_195337.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20151201_195337.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Can I just sand off this rust and put some rustoleum on the valve covers, or do I need to get new ones?

Also, I didn't have time to take these off, clean them, and put the new gaskets on before it got dark. Will the top of my heads be okay without the covers overnight?
>>
File: 1398859338863.jpg (569KB, 700x1877px) Image search: [Google]
1398859338863.jpg
569KB, 700x1877px
My 2004 Altima's heat has gotten really weak out of nowhere. when I'm idling it pushes out semi cold air but when i'm driving hot air comes out but its not very strong,

My A/C on the other hand blows str8 cold.

wtf /o/
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
What is the purpose of tires this wide?
Sorry for the shit pic
>>
>>13966631
are you talking about that truck? Check his ethnicity
>>
File: IMG_20130703_125238.jpg (958KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130703_125238.jpg
958KB, 2592x1936px
>>13963959
yes, i sanded and panted my valve covers with no issues. Stripped it with aircraft stripper, sanded the bare metal with 80 grit, then did 3 coats of silver gloss header paint.

I left my valve covers off a week or so while i let the paint cure before handling it. No real issues to speak of. All the internals are open to atmosphere anyways
>>
>>13966636
He was brown
>>
>>13964302
Have you ever flushed your engine coolant ? its supposed to be every 36,000 miles or every 3 years. Over time the coolant can break down, become slightly acidic as metal dissolves into it. you can also have a biomass start to grow (yes antifreeze is a sugar of sorts, and yes some microbes can and do metabolize it) particulates can form and will clog the heater core.

If i were you there a are two hoses that go from the motor to through the firewall, and into the heater core : consult a manual to figure which is the inflow, and which is the outflow.

First flush the entire cooling system.
Then disconnect the hoses, and use a hose to force water backwards through the heater core to flush any potential blockages out.

refill the system with distilled water and AF to the blend you desire or recommended by nissan.

There is also potential that the Air diverter in the Dash is broken, but i've personally never actually encountered that.
>>
File: ranger clone.jpg (90KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ranger clone.jpg
90KB, 640x480px
>>13963959
4.0L Colonge?

mine rusted through on a few screw holes so i replaced my bad one, they're cheap and everywhere. Sanding and painting some surface rust for yours should be fine tho.

Your rocker arms should be fine overnight, otherwise coat them in a little oil if you're going to let them sit.
>>
Anyone near the Louisville area know about any meets?
>>
File: lumina.jpg (295KB, 800x559px) Image search: [Google]
lumina.jpg
295KB, 800x559px
I need to know whether to get a head gasket, get a new engine or scrap this car.

> 95 lumina LS, squad car version. 135k miles
Yes, it's the civilian version with the full back seat but the officer's model for that year. Great handling, great visibility, tires are more expensive.

> I'm the 2nd owner, few repairs have been needed so far.
The old owner took great care of the car... until
her husband left. When I got her she was running on no oil and grinding. I fixed that immediately. She has never overheated or been in a serious accident.

> Body is great for the age, interior is "meh"
There's a few dents and the topcoat peels, but there's zero rust. The interior is intact but stained up from the last owner having kids.

> Head gasket Needs replacing
Yeah...

>Other repairs Needed/optional
EGR valve, Front pads, Front Rotor, Rear oil pan gasket (slow leak), AC. All but the slow oil leak just hit within the last 3 months.

> Repairs done
Brake pads and rotors (this will be the second set I've bought), Coolant reservoir (misjudgment on the repair shop's part), spark plugs, batteries... minor stuff.

> Going to cost me 2-5k either way
So keep or look for a used car?

Pic isn't my car, but it's similar.
>>
I spoke to a local dealership about a certain car I'm interested in.

I was supposed to go and see it on monday but got caught up at work and haven't been. The guy's been calling me everyday but today I've got a text saying they had a fleet order cancelled and they could give me the car for fleet price.

If the standard car is £20k, how much would the fleece price usually be?

Don't need an exact number, just wondering if its worth going down for.
>>
I accidentally cleared a p0700 (generic there's-a-code-stored-in-the-tcm indicator) code and it hasn't come back for a while now.

Should I go and get a dealer level scan of my tcm codes still or am I good?

Is auto tran soon to be kill?
>>
>>13967228
https://youtu.be/YL9QjN7AcW8

Try this maybe?
>>
>>13967614

Maybe you should ask to see the order reciept, dude.
>>
>>13967674
It means I'd have to call and I've been avoiding their calls all week. Rather not if I don't need to.
>>
File: 1445825340196.jpg (98KB, 1000x1399px) Image search: [Google]
1445825340196.jpg
98KB, 1000x1399px
>>13932509
replaced headgasket in saab motor
Cranked then started before headgasket replacement
Cranks but doesnt start now.

No idea why it isn't starting
any help?
>>
File: IMG_20151120_133418.jpg (869KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151120_133418.jpg
869KB, 1944x2592px
Anyone know what this shit is? It was there when I bought it. It's on my spoiler. Some sort of watermarks?

I went to a garage and the guy said the only way to get rid of it is to take it off and re-paint it. Is he bullshitting?
>>
>>13966657
Where do I get air craft stripper?
>>
>>13967796
pretty much any chain store for cars or home improvement will have some sort of chemical paint stripper. methyl-ethyl-keytone is a good generic stripper that evaporates much slower than paint thinners. A gel type spray or brush on stripper is better
>>
>>13967687

Antisocial personality order detected.
>>
>>13967690
Check the timing belt or chain for being off.

Make sure fuel injectors are properly powered and spark plugs are as well. Might throw a code so check that.
>>
>>13967691
Clean it with lacquer thinner
>>
Whats the best type of drill bit to drill into my hardened steel bumper beam, I want to mount some aux lights behind the bumper grille and am willing to either tap or nutsert/rivnut the hole. Would a hand drill be up to the task as long as I use some decent lubrication or cutting fluid?
>>
>>13967656
I think I will try that. At least it might extend the time I can keep driving so I can save up a bit more. Thanks!
>>
what do you think? cop or not?

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/5342871647.html
>>
>>13971523
Well old 2wd trucks are pretty fucking cheap to begin with so it isn't a stretch.

Though he could easily get that much for scrap, and no ones going to him shit for that so.

Given the monster green paint, I'm just going to assume its some 18 y/o idiot.
>>
>>13969598
>Hand drill

Nigger do you live in the 1800's? find a friend with a Power drill and pick you up a set of titanium bits.

That shit would take forever and a day with a hand drill. holee fuck.
>>
>>13971558
yeah I wasn't a fan of that. I was just going to paint over that with a few coats of white. anything I should look for?
>>
>>13969598
It depends on if you care about your bit..

a regular 50 cent HSS bit will go through steel just fine, but it will dull it after one use probably.

if you want to get a good quality set of bits for steel then you should get cobalt / titanium treated bits.

you can just use engine oil. or buy a thing of cutting oil.
honestly though for some random little job it doesnt matter I've drilled steel countless times on my press with shitt hss bits and no oil.
>>
File: 1390619083731.png (90KB, 520x540px) Image search: [Google]
1390619083731.png
90KB, 520x540px
Sup guys

I recently got a car a few months ago and the temp gauge was off. Usually it would either stay flat on cold or come up to the middle but then fall to cold again. I had the car checked by a mechanic and they couldn't find a physical fault anywhere and said I should see an auto electrician. So before I got to, I'd started a little work on some other electrical parts and after disconnecting and reconnecting my battery, the gauge worked flawlessly every day since.

Until today. I'd driven the car around for most of the day and it was all fine. I stopped and did some shopping and when I started it, the gauge sat just a pinch above absolute cold and the engine was operating temp for sure and it was a warm day. Another stop and start later and the gauge still sits near absolute cold.

Is it just the sensor or might my thermostat be jammed open like a few places I've read seem to say? I've been afraid to even start my car since I got it home and I can't check the coolant level since the engine is still warm as we speak.
>>
My car makes a humming noise at 55-65 mph.

Wheel hearing, loose brake pad or what? The car still makes the noise when I brake so I'm thinking it's not the brakes.
>>
>>13971893
Can you better describe the hum?

It could also just be due to the high speed. My old car used to make a strange hum whenever I hit 55-60mph but then would disappear when I went below 55mph.
>>
>>13971899
It's midway between a deep hum and a high pitched one. You can feel some vibration (to most people it would not even register) but once you go over or under the 55-65 speed range the hum vanishes. The noise increases in pitch as you accelerate towards the 65mph mark then I can't hear anything (also I do not feel any vibration) so I'm assuming the humming noise's pitch has not gone beyond the range of my hearing.

It's hard to tell from which wheel the noise is originationg, if it even is originating from a wheel.
>>
I don't know what coilovers are. Does that mean the spring goes around the shock?
>>
>>13971793
it's the sensor or the sending unit. or possibly the gauge.
you can check all the connections. something is fucking up somewhere.

thermostat wont make a difference. it would hit operating temperature regardless eventually if it was stuck open. when it's stuck closed is when it's critical.

i wouldn't really worry about it. if your car is stock, you're driving reasonably in reasonable weather, and your cooling system is in order it's not going to overheat.
>>
>>13972246
yes.

a strut is still technically a coilover.
>>
>>13971793
Do you know where it reads the temperature? If it's anywhere besides the engine itself then low coolant levels could make it read low
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (69KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
69KB, 1280x720px
>>13933372
If you don't have a problem with Ford vehicles I'd recommend a '95-'97 Lincoln Town Car.

How it complies with what you want:
>It's within the year(s) you want.(and best looking years imo)
>exceedingly comfy ride
>all leather seats for maximum comfy.
>can seat up to six
>gets 17mpg(7.2kml) city/25(10.6kml) highway(good luck getting that with a Tahoe)

Random Bonuses:
>has mostly metric fasteners(since you are yuropoor)
>huge trunk(22.3 cu/ft/0.63 cu/m)
>some are factory equipped with a towing package(class II or III) and can be easily retrofitted if not
>4.6l modular V8 is known for its longevity(can easily last up to 400,000 miles/644,000Km with good maintenance)
>can fit a variety of Ford power plants.
>4R70W transmission which can take massive power with basic modifications.
>equipped wit self-leveling rear air suspension and can be easily converted to normal shocks/spirings if it should break(my t/c is)
>climate control system equipped standard
>all LCD gauges that can switch between Imperial/Metric at the push of a button(pic related
>RWD and 50/50 weight distribution so you can be Dagumi when it's a little slippery or just have shit tires
>>
>>13951656
I don't know much about them except to avoid the 300M like the plague.
>>
File: 60thousanddollarcar.jpg (251KB, 1200x878px) Image search: [Google]
60thousanddollarcar.jpg
251KB, 1200x878px
Are you ready for the coming race war
>>
>>13954287
>>13954376
I'd recommend the chain(orhigh test rope) and tree part but don't reverse to pull it straight. try using a come-along winch if you can get one so you can do it slowly.
>>
>>13972139
Hard to say what is then. It could just be the wind catching pressure somewhere making the noise if it only happens at certain speeds. Do you hear any grinding noise or anything alarming?
>>
>>13974052
Nothing untoward. She makes the usual scrapes and creaks when cold but otherwise she seems totally fine.
>>
>>13974118
I wouldn't worry about it then. My car used to make the same noises at the same speeds as yours and my mechanic couldn't find any faults.
>>
>>13932509
how do i get involved with car clubs and go to meets?
>>
>>13974165
going to local performance auto shops and asking around is probably the best way. If your area has a local track or dragstrip doing events there could be a good way to make contacts as well. Check craigslist events, sometimes you'll get lucky. Most car clubs will have a facebook or some other social media dealie, so googling is a good start.

>>13972636
>ready for the coming rice war
ftfy
>>
File: enhanced-13840-1404848033-25.jpg (38KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-13840-1404848033-25.jpg
38KB, 500x375px
how do i criticize a womans driving without her losing her shit?
>>
>>13974408
you don't.
>>
File: 1441985611813.gif (358KB, 321x321px) Image search: [Google]
1441985611813.gif
358KB, 321x321px
>>13974420
>don't criticize
but i'm gonna be deded, tripfag... I need positive ways and good hoon examples but i am an asshole so I'm outsourcing to /o/
>tired of getting thrown against the door every five seconds but I'd like to not drive every single time
>can't steer, only jerks
>holds car on hills with gas
>can't understand fwd understeer
>>
>>13974481
what is your relationship to the woman though?
>>
File: 1414363151412.gif (521KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1414363151412.gif
521KB, 800x600px
>>13974408
She's wearing fucking cheddar cheese slices.
>>
Just bought a 2005 Lexus ES330. I've been trying to find out if the engine is an interference or non-interference. I've looked all over the Internet and only gotten conflicting answers. I even called Lexus, but the woman said she would "do some research" and after a lengthy hold told me that it was in fact an interference engine. Her reasoning? Because it has a timing belt... Does anyone have an answer? Preferably with a source or personal experience.
>>
>>13938125
your frame is probably bent.
>>
>>13974497
Well WHAT FUCKING ENGINE DOES IT HAVE?
>>
>>13974497
>>13974536
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006/620377-vvti-engine-interference-or-not.html

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/3sugy-sienna-toyota-documentation-says-non.html

See bottom answer
>>
File: mz0W9Cm.jpg (684KB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
mz0W9Cm.jpg
684KB, 3456x2304px
>>13974488
>relationship
wife. I just want to give her helpful comments. Last time was open ended questions like "when I'm driving, i find that..." then she had an epic burger meltdown and we didn't speak for the rest of the trip.

>>13974492
>can instruct them to put cheese singles on and pose in front of/on car
>can't instruct them on how to actually operate vehicle well
>>
>>13974536
The 3MZ. 3.3L V6 VVT-i. Jeez anon, sorry.
>>
>>13974563
Much obliged, good sir.
>>
If I pull a VQ35 from an Altima, and use a 350z/g35 ecu, will it act sportier? Do they have different internals?
>>
>>13974689
After a certain yeah the VQ was designed to make more power. Im unsure how compatible they would be, best ask a Nissan specific forum.
>>
I recently tuned my FR-S to run E85, it's been good for the past 1000-ish miles. But today I filled up and there's a strong odor of E85 present in the cabin and in the engine bay. I installed a new air intake after the tune but the that was 200 miles ago, not sure if that's relevant.

Any ideas at what it could be? Could it possibly be running rich? Could it be the fuel recall? Fuel lines?
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.