[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /o/ I'm currently converting a 1991 SW20 MR2 to all wheel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 161369_IMG_2058b.jpg (75KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
161369_IMG_2058b.jpg
75KB, 800x600px
Hi /o/
I'm currently converting a 1991 SW20 MR2 to all wheel drive, using a cosworth MT75 gearbox, and running the diff upside down.
The engine I'll be using a nissan VQ35, which I will be destroking to 2litres for rally regulations, and will be using a single IHI Turbine.
I'm currently cutting the transmission tunnel, and my angle grinders a peice of shit, does anyone have any tips here? I've got through 6 of these fucking wafer thin discs so far, all they do is snap into peices.
>Pic related, its the tunnel I'm cutting out the car. Its where the fuel tank would normally be but I'll be running one single carbon fibre fuel cell in the passenger footwell.
>>
inb4 someone identifies it as copypasta while congratulating themselves for being here for more than a month
>>
File: 1444195931298.jpg (57KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1444195931298.jpg
57KB, 720x480px
>>13905763
in after the guy with his fedora on too tight.
>>
Did that faggot ever get anywhere with this? I know it was a serious build a few years ago.
>>
>>13905783
An upside down diff wouldn't work.
>>
>>13905800
is that just because it couldn't bleed pressure or what?
>>
>>13905763

>look at me, I'm le oldfag tripfag lol, observe how old I am while i casually humblebrag about being here for a while and also simultaneously insult newfags

Fuck off, retard
>>
File: 20151121_171135.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20151121_171135.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>13905814
Idk what i just drew, but i did all the blueprints on paper once and concluded it wouldn't work
>>
>>13905846
Are you trying to say that it wouldn't work because things would spin the wrong way?

I'd assume that would be why it would be flipped upside down, so that it could rotate a different axle the other way or something. But then again I don't know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>13905859
Theoretically it should spin the correct way ifnflipped upside down, but how will you get engine power to both pinions?
>>
>>13905867
>but how will you get engine power to both pinions
I don't really know what this means. But what if you just flipped the diff at the point where the driveshaft bolts up to it? Like you just mount everything upside down and then bolt on the driveshaft and half-shafts (assuming they're a bolt on type like Miatas or whatever)
>>
File: th.jpg (14KB, 300x223px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
14KB, 300x223px
>>13905878
If you have a RWD vehicle, the flywheel tranfers power to the trans, the trans tranfers power to the drivshaft, drashaft to pinion, pionion to differential. So tell me how will you get your engine to somehow tranfer power to both the driveshaft and another driveshaft leading to the FRONT diff you're using? You'd need a tranfer case. Even with am upside down diff you wouldnt be able to get the tranfer case to line up with the front diff pumpkin
>>
>>13905898
ohhh I see what you're saying, I thought you just meant the upside down diff itself would be an issue. Google tells me the MT75 transmission had a 4WD variant, maybe it was implied it would use that layout?
>>
File: Cosworth MT75.jpg (22KB, 430x430px) Image search: [Google]
Cosworth MT75.jpg
22KB, 430x430px
Didn't anyone consider that perhaps the MT75 gearbox was a 4WD unit?

Running diffs upside down would work I guess if engine rotation in relation to drive wheels is opposed?

Imagine driving your standard RWD car in reverse everywhere, that would be shit. All of a sudden flip your diff, you'd have normal driving, albeit in reverse.
>>
>>13905760

diff upside down

>Not inside out to keep the geometry correct
>>
>>13905959
speaking of cossie bits. the company that built the original RS200 running gear will still sell you a new gearbox and diffs however wasnt the original post using a transverse engine? (that said the RS200 had the gearbox in the front and it was a rather short-lived unit, i dont remember the specifics but i think its a new gearbox every 15,000km.)

Not many transverse AWD's out there. i remember trying to find one as a "i wonder if this would be a viable project"
>>
>>13905846
Can't the Porch G50 run upsidedown? Or were you talking about this specific case
>>
>>13906136
I'm just talking about even if you could get the diff to run upside down somehow, you'd need to find a way to tranfer engine power to both the from and the back of the vehicle to power both diffs. some sort of transfer case would be needed to accomplish that
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.