[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/! I recently bought my first car, it's a shitty 2001

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 2001-Pontiac-Grand-Prix_18233.jpg (1MB, 2159x1216px) Image search: [Google]
2001-Pontiac-Grand-Prix_18233.jpg
1MB, 2159x1216px
Hey /o/! I recently bought my first car, it's a shitty 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. What can I do to make it run better / faster? I know almost nothing about cars, but I would like to learn.
>>
hot air intake, raising springs, side mirror delete
>>
>>13901029
>hot air intake
>raising springs
How would I go about doing either of those? I'm not even entirely sure what they are.
>>
>>13901048
hot air intake keeps the engine at an optimal temperature warmer than stock for maximum efficiency
buying bigger springs makes the ride smoother so more power actually gets to the wheels
>>
File: 8000-1997-Grand-Prix-GTP.jpg (100KB, 800x371px) Image search: [Google]
8000-1997-Grand-Prix-GTP.jpg
100KB, 800x371px
>>13901016
Depends on which engine you have.

SE models came with the 3100 V6, but had an optional 3800 V6
GT models came standard with the 3800 V6
GTP models came standard with a supercharged 3800 V6.

It's an understatement to say the Grand Prix has awesome aftermarket support. The best engine for modifying is the 3800 V6 engine cars. The 3100 V6 does have aftermarket support, but not as much.
>>
>>13901016
minimum tread depth is a meme, get offroading tyres, they'll give you more grip on the road.
>>
>>13901016
Slowly but surely add coolant to your oil and vice-versa. Since it's a Pontiac and will leak both these fluids AND blow its head gasket within 6 weeks of driving it, the engine will be ready. Also just straight up pour way too much power steering fluid in because that shit will leak the fastest.
>>
>>13902507
Make sure to only drive in straight lines when you're close to the ocean, as the groaning of the power steering on a Pontiac mimics the sound of a mother killer whale crying for her baby.

Actually, just park the car and drown yourself. You'll save a lot of disappointment.
>>
>>13901535
Basically this

If you have a 3.1, I wouldn't even bother aside from maybe improving the exhaust and making sure the intake manifold/head gaskets are good. Those are the most common things to go bad on the 3.8's so I'm just going off of that. If you have the 3.8 go crazy, you will get alot of power for not alot of money
>>
OP here, I do indeed have the 3600 v6. So there's not much I can do to it? How do I make sure the intake manifold and head gaskets are good?
>>
>>13905768
Make sure there's holes in them so there's better airflow away from the engine. if there arent any holes just drill some in.
>>
kill yourself
>>
>>13906396
This. It's not much but it should be maybe 5 to 20 horsepower.
>>
Take out your left-most spark plug too. It wastes energy, as long as you have at least three spark plugs in, closest to the steering side, you'll be fine, since the steering side is where all the power is.
>>
File: grandprick.jpg (36KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
grandprick.jpg
36KB, 600x337px
>>13901016
My father has the 02 Grand Prix with a 3100 series

its decent for a first car, but I plan on getting an 87 with the 3.8 sometime in the next 3-ish weeks
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.