[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I wanna expand my knowledge, as I know nothing. I wanna start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20151119_183140997.jpg (2MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151119_183140997.jpg
2MB, 2432x4320px
So I wanna expand my knowledge, as I know nothing. I wanna start simple. What are the main operating differences between the major truck lines?

What I'm asking is
>what are Silverados, F150s, Rams, and Tacoma's individually good at
>where do they suck
>and lastly what trucks have the different style engines (hemi, Cummins, etc)

Pic unrelated, I'm at work driving this pos Honda.
>>
>>13894431
>I work with truck guys and don't know shit about trucks
>plz help

FTFY.
>>
>>13894431
Ferd a best all around

Dodge uses Cummins diesel engines which are best. But the rest will fall apart because Chrysler.

Does Chevy still use the Allison transmissions on the HD diesels? Bacause that was the good thing about those. But GM so little shit will constantly break.

Toyota Tundras are mall crawlers.

At least this is what /o/ has taught me.
>>
>>13894431

Thats such an obscure approach; Just learn the concepts and mechanicals of what makes a car / truck go. Then learn the manufacturer differences and you will actually understand.
>>
>>13894482
That's my issue though, I don't know where to start on it. I understand the basics of the car but not what each item actually us.
>>
The allison trans in the silverado is allison by name only. It's not as tough as people would lead you to believe. Its dirtymax 6/ is a decent diesel engine but its a bitch to work on

The cummins is a amazing diesel engine witha great stock output. They tend to leak a bit and they have a dodge trans behind them so if you plan on driving it you might want to upgrade the trans first.
The powerstroke engines are hit or miss. the 7.3 is the one everyone swears buy but its a real stubborn cunt to start when it gets below 40 degrees and now you really cant find one that isnt beat to hell and back. The 6.0 is a piece of shit in general and doesnt like to be fucked with at all. The 6.4 is slightly better but if you plan on doing anything to it the first thing you need to do is stud the block so you dont rip the threads out of the heads.
>>
>>13894595
forgot about the 6..7 powerstroke. From what i can tell so far its a good diesel. And the truck is fucking sharp looking as well
>>
>>13894605
And this engine is on?
>>
>>13894615
Do engines usually go on the car or in the car Anon?

>Ford - Powerstroke
>Chevy - Duramax
>Dodge(now Nissan) - Cummins
>>
>>13894431

>honda
>POS
GO FUCK OYURSEFL
>>
>>13894431
You don't get it, after all this time that a Corolla is all you need.
>>
>>13894605
>powerstroke
Powerjoke is so unreliable
>>
>>13894685
Ok yeah I understand that,

So from what an anon say above is Powerstroke or Cummins usually better built?
>>
>>13894714
Ask any diesel trucker or shop and they'll tell you the Powerstroke by Ford beats any weak Cummins junk.
>>
>>13894773
as a diesel mechanic i can say the 7.3 pretty much shits on any cummins
>>
>>13894796
So how does it stack up against a Duramax?
>>
>>13894595
>7.3 is the one everyone swears buy but its a real stubborn cunt to start when it gets below 40 degrees
nailed it
>6.0 is a piece of shit in general and doesnt like to be fucked with at all
back in tech school there were two kids that dumped a shit load of money in their 6.blows and they are actually amazing when you get rid of all the kinks they had, which obviously is a lot. also it takes a lot of money, the kid was 21 and had a decently paying job previous to going to school
>>
>>13894808
I don't think you understand, Powerstroke by Ford Motors is basically the best diesel you can get in the whole industry.
>>
>>13894821
Oh, well is there any rhyme or reason that this is so? Particular part? Particular bit of technology?
>>
>>13894808
ive only worked on a handful of durmax engines but the ones that come in are usually fucked beyond fucked
right now we have one in the shop that had a hole in the piston. not saying they are all shit but i just havent worked on one with a simple problem yet
duramax would probably be the last diesel motor i would want from the big three though
>>
>>13894830
Ford Motor company is one of the oldest automakers in the world, with the most experience in both Gasoline and Diesel engine ranges. You can be confident that Ford Motors only delivers the most advanced cutting-edge technologies in each aspect of every one of their vehicles. Ford is the only automaker to provide innovations like EcoBoost Technology and myFord Link with Microsoft enhancements. Ford is also proud to be the best selling truck pickup nameplates in North America. Ford is by far the leader in truck technology.
>>
>>13894857
this message was brought to you by Ford
>>
>>13894831
Another question, so I hear that Chevy's are better for actually driving around the city and fords are designed for work trucks? Does this hold true and how does say a 7.3 differ in power as opposed to a 6? Is it more horsepower or torque based when the size of these engines comes into play.
>>
>>13894821
>imblying the powerstroke is a ferd engine
>>
>>13894857
Sounds like a ford ad written by a Greek immigrant who's alllllmost perfect at English
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 680x680px
>>13894857
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.