[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

my brother says you can tell a car is manual transmission just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: sluh.jpg (14KB, 411x367px) Image search: [Google]
sluh.jpg
14KB, 411x367px
my brother says you can tell a car is manual transmission just by the sound it makes

totally bullshit?
>>
The sound between gears, sure. Just rolling, in gear or out, no.
>>
File: 5723752725.png (73KB, 151x203px) Image search: [Google]
5723752725.png
73KB, 151x203px
Well, you can if the driver is a moron who doesn't know how to use the clutch properly and you can hear the teeth shatter
>>
It's absolutely correct.
>>
>>13872211
manual is usually louder and you can hear gear shifts
also the newb chirp in first
>>
>>13872221
It is correct. Manuals souns different when they are under acceleration or deceleration because the transmission and engine rotates at a speed directly connected to how fast the wheels are spinning. In an automatic, the existence of a torque converter and a fluid coupling allows the engine to spin at any rpm compared the how fast the wheels are spinning.

Manual master race.
>>
This thread is horrible bait. Of course you can.
>>
>>13872211
Yep, an auto doesn't let you bounce off the limiter for 30s+

Neither does most engines though
>>
>>13872211
Some manual transmissions have very distinct sounds, as well as some autos.

In general though, there is no magic noise that differentiates them. What he is probably talking about is the sound of the rpms changing much more frequently in a manual.
>>
short pipe autotragic civies make me giggle
>>
Sure you can detect a pause while shifting and can also hear if they let off throttle when in gear or downshift.

Auto:bwahbwahbwah
Manual:bwah,bwah,bwah
>>
Your brother is right.

Almost every manual gearbox will make a whirring sound when you go fast enough in reverse
>>
>>13873889
Autos can make them too
>>
>slipping their clutch/blipping the throttle to take off from a light
>downshifting
>upshifting
>>
the sound of stalling. autos don't know dat lug-lug
>>
>>13872211

On turbo cars you can definitely tell when they shift.
>>
I once saw a guy chirp and jerk his way through an intersection in an old air-cooled Porsche. The road was wide open and he was clearly trying to go WOT but Fucking it up. I chuckled.
>>
File: 1444441458072.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1444441458072.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
You can general slack in the driveline with a manual trans, and clutch damper springs can be noisy

Typically automatic cars, once you hear noise in your trans you're just about fucked
>>
>>13875665

>you can hear general slack in the driveline
>>
>>13872234
>most engines won't handle limiter for 30 seconds
Most good engines in good condition are designed to deal with it. Or adjust their limiter in some cases from a hard to soft at a lower RPM.
>>
>>13872231
>allows the engine to spin at any rpm compared the how fast the wheels are spinning.
Wow.
>>
One surefire way to tell is swapping between gears on a hill, especially on old shitboxes.
>>
>>13873889
It's just the presence of straight cut gears instead of helical cut like in your other gears.
>>
File: LG FATHER LOWREZ.png (8KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
LG FATHER LOWREZ.png
8KB, 400x400px
>>13872211
yfw someone decides to drive a manual with the exact same shift profile of an auto to fool your brother
>>
>>13872211
>>13872234
>Yep, an auto doesn't let you bounce off the limiter for 30s+
It can be done.
>>
>>13872211
>>13872211

The exhaust gets quieter when you shift.

Was that so hard to say, /o/?
/thread.
>>
>>13872211
Maybe only while it's shifting gears and if the driver is shit at driving manual.
>>
>>13876859
>I've never driven manual
>>
>>13872234
I can bounce off the limiter in my auto all day long in 2nd gear.

Stop posting things that are incorrect please.
>>
>>13876874
pheight me
>>
>>13876859
Not all manuals shift buttery smooth, and not all manuals have pristine synchros.
>>
smell is more accurate
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.