[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /o/. Need some advice I drive a 1989 dodge ramcharger.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: 89rchargerbycsandridge_1.jpg (65KB, 460x282px) Image search: [Google]
89rchargerbycsandridge_1.jpg
65KB, 460x282px
Alright /o/. Need some advice

I drive a 1989 dodge ramcharger. It has numerous problems that baffles every mechanic I see. I'm thinking about trading it in to my hometown dodge dealership and seeing how much they'll give me. But I need to know what truck to get next.

>God Mode: I'm sticking with Dodge

>GOD SLAYER MODE: BETWEEN 05 AND 08 AND AT OR UNDER $5000

Pic is not my exact truck but it is an 89 and is charcoal grey. So its basically he same truck
>>
>>13864338
>05-08
>UNDER $5000
Not going to happen at a stealership, buy something off craigslist
>>
File: dodge.jpg (187KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
dodge.jpg
187KB, 1024x768px
why stick with dodge?
you want a truck that will destroy its transmission and rust?
its like you want to fail
>>
>>13864351
>only dodged rust
>>
>>13864358
i said AND. meaning somehow, the truck can multitask
>>
>>13864351
The Allison transmission I know is rough but that's the only thing as far as I know. That's why you could choose god mode but otherwise rexccomend some fords or anything but chevy. I just need some other advice
>>
>>13864351
Dodge has the best rust proof as always though
>>
If I could just figure out what the huge problem with it was I'd MUCH rather continue riving it. But my older brother is trying to convince m to trade it and get something more "DEPENDABLE"
>>
Describe the problems and symptoms you faggot.
>>
>>13864351

I'm in the Southwest, should I try to find one of these ugly things as a DD?
>>
>>13864338
>baffles every mechanic
This is nature's way of telling you to do your own work.
>>
>>13864474
light comes on and once it gets to a low rpm or if I turn it has. Chance to start umbnling real rough and then it will fit off in drive. I'll throw it in park and then crank it right back up. It has a slight burning smell afterwards. And the breaks start squealing along with that and the wheels themselves squeal as they turn. I just think its haunted.
>>
>>13864589
Holy shit my copy and paste fucked up sorry
>>
>>13864474
OK so after driving it for a day the check engine light comes on. Now once that happens my breaks start squealing. And once I get to low rpm or turn it has about a 50/50 chance of turning off in drive. After hat I throw it in park and crank it back up. Afterwards there's a slight burning smell
>>
>>13864620
Does it have oil in it?
>>
>>13864572
A mechanic will know more basic knowledge than m though. I didn't get the priveledge of my dad knowing about trucks and teaching me as I grew up
>>
>>13864627
Yea. Could use a change though
>>
>>13864633
Change oil, check coolant
>>
>pre obd2 dodge
>sputters and/or stalls at low speed
>with or without check engine light
EGR valve and a tune up

>brakes squeal
new pads/rotors and disc brake quiet installed
>>
>>13864866
We already cut off egr valve and it fixed previous bucking and kicking
>>
>>13867002
Iac or tps if it has one?
Or the coil is bad and getting heat soaked.
>>
>>13867029
I'm not sure what those things are
>>
>>13867042
Google them.
IAC - Idle air control
TPS - Throttle Position Sensor
Coil - Thing that gives spark to make boom
>>
>>13864380
Look, you're going at this all wrong. Chrysler, Ford, and GM all have made good vehicles, and bad vehicles.

Now, give some details. Do you need a truck? Do you need 4wd? Do you need a spacey sedan? Do you want to be 2fast? How many cylinders do you want?

>>13864620
What type of smell? Oil, coolant, or brakes?
>>
>>13867122
I'd like a truck and I appreciate space(cuz the ramcharger has shit tons of room) good mpg is appreciated but I want another tank like pic related
>>
>>13867122
Idk its like burnt hair
>>
>>13867214
If you want a huge truck and decent mileage, your only option is diesel. Which you probably will not find for 5k.
>>
>>13867235
Well I say tank lol but not a huge deisel. Maybe a reg size truck cuz the ramcharger is kinda short.
>>
>>13867240
I mean, you can get a crew cab eco boost f150, that's got space and mileage, and desu they're pretty fun on the road, but

>not 5k
>4cyl

If you want a roomy truck you're gonna need more money or you're gonna have to get it off craigslist and do some wrenching.
>>
>>13864620
Is the alternator good for sure?
>>
>>13867266
Maybe idk
>>
>>13864338
Sell it to me.
>>
>>13867269
Buy a new mopar one and slap it on, then replace your power steering fluid and check your relays.
>>
>>13867303
Lol sorry man. But thanks its good to know someone appreciates the classics
>>
>>13864487
It's a ram charger that only existed in Mexico
>>
>>13864620
Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. 80's American stuff likes to have miles of vacuum lines running everywhere and they like to leak once they get old. I just had an '87 Econoline that was acting weird and running like crap, it had a bunch of vacuum leaks and once I fixed them it ran fine.

You either need to find an older mechanic who worked on stuff in the 80's, or just fix it yourself. A smoke machine is a good way to tell where vacuum leaks are, or nowadays you can elimate most of the vacuum emissions crap and it'll be fine.
>>
>>13867327
Selling something like that makes a lot more sense than trading it in...
>>
>>13864338
trade you my van for it
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.