[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My Volvo's distributor cap leaked oil all over the ignition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Volvo_740_GLE_sedan.jpg (251KB, 2526x1290px) Image search: [Google]
Volvo_740_GLE_sedan.jpg
251KB, 2526x1290px
My Volvo's distributor cap leaked oil all over the ignition control unit. I have to replace both.

That costs 1490.21.

Scrap value is $150.

Fuck.
>>
Did you get that price quoted at a shop?
Those aren't the most difficult things to do yourself if you can pull the parts from a junkyard.
>>
>owning a brick and not doing the work yourself

why?

You could have gotten a new ICU for about $20 from a junkyard or $40 shipped from someone on turbobricks.

Sell it to an enthusiast and get a civic bro.
>>
>>13850753

This
If thats the value of your car in a scrapyard than I wouldn't think it too hard to find parts for it for much, much cheaper than 1490
>>
>>13850738
That's shop price, right? How much would it cost to fix it yourself?
>>
>>13850755

I'm not talking about the fender mounted ignition module, that I did replace myself.

I'm talking the big $660 computer in the dash.
>>
File: 1412133874788.jpg (27KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
1412133874788.jpg
27KB, 400x350px
>>13850755
>Volvo
>enthusiast
Lol
>>
>>13850761
Not a lot. I don't have any shop space though. The distributor is right up against the fire wall and I'd have to hoist the engine out to work on it.
>>
File: b230f.jpg (133KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
b230f.jpg
133KB, 800x600px
I have replaced all the ignition parts of a redblock, on a parking lot for roughly 150€ using a Leatherman and a sparkplug socket from a socket set. The engine bay is fuckhuge. If you need to replace the bottom of the distributor (or the o-rings holding the oil in) you the task could be bigger, but not by a lot.
>>
Oh. And the control unit (?). I don't know about their prices, but second hand ones can't be that expensive.

t.>>13850955
>>
Sorry to hijack OP but i want to buy a Volvo 240 wagon.

What kind of MPGs do the A/T get?
Thats all im finding right now, but if it came down to it id be willing to attempt a Manual swap.
>>
>>13850955
The entire distributor is fucked.
>>
>>13850764

How the fuck did the distributor leak oil underneath the dash?
>>
>>13850985
Violently.

>>13850974
I'd say no more than twenty. I got 22 on a good day with my B230F 740.
>>
>>13850989
>22
Srs?
Was that highway or city? Combined?
>>
>>13850998
Combined, but mostly city. To uni and back each day.
>>
>>13850738
sounds like its time to diy an electronic ignition conversion
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.