[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone got experience with those solar panel (car)battery chargers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

Anyone got experience with those solar panel (car)battery chargers? Specifically, charging through the cigarette outlet. I mostly drive short distances, so my battery needs a little help keeping the charge, especially with cold weather comming. If I could just leave the panel on top of the dashboard, plugged into the cigarette outlet it would be perfect.
I don't park anywhere near an electrical outlet so a normal charger isn't gonna work. And since I park in a lot someone could just steal anything not locked into the car.
>>
Mate, I suspect that you live in Scandinavia like me, and have experienced our winters... just think a few minutes on how much sunlight we get per day for the coming monts

The best bet would be to buy a cheap charger and bring the battery inside and give it a good charge once a week or something at most. If your battery flatlines within that short of a timespan without it being below -20c or something constantly and you're not struggling to start it then I'd consider replacing my battery, as yours may be of shit quality or too old

I've got this charger and it works just fine for me http://www.biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Elektrisk/Batteriverktoy-og-tilbehor/Batterilader-12-V-8-A-2000031643/
>>
>>13847255
>>13847274
why not spend a little on a dual battery set up with optimas?
>>
Yes, fellow scandi indeed. However
1. Needs some extra in the summer months as well to not wear out by being low charge all the time.
2. My battery is bolted in the boot, taking it out and back in regularly isn't really viable. Also alarm won't work

>>13847303
All that does it make it take twice as long before loosing charge.
>>
>>13847255

Buy a gel battery with that proper value for your car that you can't change and the other one you can change with a lot more power.

Insulate the shit out of the battery to avoid it getting too cold in winter.

During warmer periods remove insulation.

Problem solved.
>>
>>13847327

I'll be brave and take a guess; E36 BMW 320d or a Mercedes W202 180/200 diesel?

You could try, the panel isn't expensive and who knows; it might be enough, although I doubt it

You really don't have any friend you could visit for a few hours and let them connect a charger to your battery while you're there?
>>
Solar is shit. Get a portable jump starter.
>>
File: 684686864.gif (926KB, 496x360px) Image search: [Google]
684686864.gif
926KB, 496x360px
>>13847367

Letting his battery flatline and then jumpstarting it will quite quickly be the death of his battery
>>
>>13847352
I can't really interpret your first sentence.
Also I don't think you understand how insulation works. It doesn't do shit if the thing doesn't generate its own heat. Insulate a glass of water and stick it in the freezer and it will freeze in exactly the same time
>>13847359
Volvo s60 2001 petrol. And sure, i could do that, or unbolt it once a week or whatever. But I'm looking for the most convenient solution. Right now I drive longer than I have to going home from work and have a jump starter in the boot.

By the way I can really recommend everyone having a jump starter, poor battery conditions or not. It's 40$ which is absolutely nothing considering how much pain/money it saves you that one time the car doesn't start
>>
File: 37-907_xl_1[1].jpg (131KB, 1086x950px) Image search: [Google]
37-907_xl_1[1].jpg
131KB, 1086x950px
>>13847407

Buying this one in a week actually
Still, I keep my battery in good health with weekly charges, and I also have a DEFA-system so my engine is about +35c warm every morning, and trust me; that shit makes life a bit more pleasant

Any chance of just buying a fucktardly long/several extension cord(s) and putting it out your window and to a charger, or is way beyond any reasonable distance?
>>
>>13847407

Because the battery doesn't get hot with the engine running.

lel
>>
>>13847472
>or is way beyond any reasonable distance?
yes
>And since I park in a lot someone could just steal anything not locked into the car.
>>13847478
>engine running not even 1h out of 24h a day
Not sure what you're thinking retard
>>
>>13847497

That you are a retard asking a retarded question if you only run the engine one hour during the day in -20C weather

Enjoy your accelerated wear.
>>
File: 746536.png (37KB, 249x545px) Image search: [Google]
746536.png
37KB, 249x545px
>>13847497

Oh lord, don't tell me you're an unlucky swede who lives beneath this glorious line where your great cultural enrichers will take everything you own as soon as you turn your back on them?
>>
>>13847509
At least I know grade-school physics. Also avoiding accelerated was the entire point of the fred
>>13847511
No. But I wouldn't leave stuff lying around in a public lot even if I lived in Singapore.
>>
>>13847543

I understand the pain mate, I really do... I'm lucky enough to have access to an outlet both so I can use my engine warmer, and since its not a public lot I can leave my trunk open while its charging the battery and not worry about any of my tools or equipment being stolen

Seems like the only real solution if the solar-panel doesn't work out would be the charging-thing, although it is a damned inconvenience, I'll agree
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.