[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really want to get to know more about cars. Especially my lack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: 528552525.jpg (97KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
528552525.jpg
97KB, 640x360px
I really want to get to know more about cars.
Especially my lack of knowledge about engines and everything what's under the car.
Now I have really no clue how to get this knowledge (I don't know anybody irl who's into cars).
I found this game called Car Mechanic Simulator. Would that be a good source to learn about cars? As in; is it realistic enough to really learn new things about cars?
>>
Go take community college classes. You aren't going to get enough out of a computer game to warrant the time investment.
>>
>>13839605
>community college classes
Is that something American?
No idea what you're talking about. I'm from Europe.
>>
>>13839692
Sucks to live a kek country, doesn't it?
>>
>>13839692
Community college is where the losers with no ambition go.
>>
>>13839592
>Would that be a good source to learn about cars?
Yes
>is it realistic enough to really learn new things about cars?
Yes. Although it's WAY harder on practice, especially with older cars and cars lived trough European climate
>>
File: 1423807431801.jpg (79KB, 717x935px) Image search: [Google]
1423807431801.jpg
79KB, 717x935px
>>13839692
>I'm from Europe
Fuck the computer game. You should find Edd China and offer your boipussy up to him. If your skin is silky smooth, soft like baby, and smells like lilacs then he my accept you. Then he will infuse your soul with wisdom beyond your years on everything car related.
He will also vigorously pound your asshole. In all likelihood this will result in severe trauma as the man is 7" tall and probably hung like a horse.
Look at it this way, a prolapsed asshole is a small price to pay for the satisfaction of changing your own oil.
>>
>>13839910
>Community college is where the people who don't want to spend 50k on useless shit/don't work 8 hour days in the office go

Stay mad, male secretary
>>
>>13839592
>spanner resting on the paintwork

wat fuk
>>
You're only going to learn some really basic things about how cars work. But the ACTUAL work of working on cars which involve removing shit and cursing at that hard to remove nut and bolt is something you can only learn first hand working on a car. Makes me cringe how easy the game makes it look removing car parts when that's most of the work you have to do IRL.
>>
File: onepunchman.png (178KB, 349x613px) Image search: [Google]
onepunchman.png
178KB, 349x613px
>>13840860
this, best way is to buy some cars and just work on a project.

i'm not too sure really myself since im poor n33t who just lurks but (so might be wrong on things):
getting performance is basically delivering more air into the engine, with more fuel.. and doing that while keeping proper air/fuel ratio. aswell.
stuff like cold air intakes properly placed will deliver colder air while driving, and colder air is denser.. as well it can have effect where the air is pushed into the engine and more air is delivered. then there's also on naturally aspirated engines with individual throttle bodies/velcoity stacks (google, denser air and better response).. . the actual intake manifold is best when the edges are smooth,i think stock ones are pretty rough since they're cast for cheap manafacturing. on exhaust headers i think how some look different to others in how the pipes are, is that it can create vacuum when the exhaust valves are still closing and draw out any extra exhaust for better delivery of air/fuel mixture... changing exhaust is confusing and i still don't really know but i think too big of exhuast diameter will mean exhaust can't escape properly... too much restriction and then theres back pressure which is why people will upgrade exhaust as one of first mods
i don't really know much else since i still only learning but i've asked before and people said that it's basically more air and more fuel.
turbos and superchargers make air more denser which is more oxygen delivered.... adding these to cars can require the engine be able to handle it, which i think is stuff like forged rod/piston and better gasket material so it can hold up...
with turbos i don't really know... i think bigger turbo/supercharger is more pressure boost it can do.

reading website builds and forums for what car you like are good, and google what your unsure on(eg why people use different camshafts). some webistes dont really explain in depth though... or watch initial d lol
>>
>>13840699
I'm self employed. So I'm like my own CEO, and my own secretary, and my own laborer, and my own mistress.
>>
File: 1447209671374.jpg (8KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1447209671374.jpg
8KB, 250x241px
>>13841837
I'm sure your flower shop is very nice
>>
>>13841848
You're such a card
>>
>>13841837
selling drugs is not employment.
>>
>>13840699

>going to college in debt
So, losers with no ambition.
>>
>>13839910
>community college is where smart money goes to knock out all of the transferable credits they can on the cheap before going to uni, thereby practically cutting the cost of a B.S. in half.

fix'd
>>
>>13841856
I'm not Frosty.
>>
File: fIR83vI.jpg (55KB, 458x532px) Image search: [Google]
fIR83vI.jpg
55KB, 458x532px
>americans literally pay for education
>>
>>13841875
>implying anything is truly "free"

Enjoying your VAT?
>>
>>13841886
Stuff is free if you steal it

You can ever sell it. pure profit with no overhead
>>
>>13841896
The costs of theft are distributed to higher prices/insurance rates.

Unless you're pirating music or some shit, I guess that's free.
>>
File: sunglasses.jpg (15KB, 297x197px) Image search: [Google]
sunglasses.jpg
15KB, 297x197px
>>13839910
>being this mad about spending all his student loans and parent's money on a degree he doesn't use
>being this mad that after 4 years of higher learning he is barely above the poverty line working a job unrelated to his degree
>being this mad that he got keked into "Everybody should go to College" scam with no idea how broken the American education system is and is now buried in student loan debts

Before you autism gets triggered, I'm not saying college is bad.

My point is that a 4-year college isn't for everyone.
>>
I'm surprised there still isnt a sticky for questions like this, but then again this is /o/

ok step 1:
read books, wikipedia, or whatever source(s) that can teach you the fundamentals of how a car works. (Here, I made life slightly easier for you www15 zippyshare.com/v/clOuVBGY/file.html)

step 2: watch youtube. Theres a shit ton of experienced diy'ers and seasoned techs just willing to share with you any valuable information that they've acquired over their years of slavery in this shitty career.

step 3:[NOW THIS IS CRUCIAL!] buy some tools, a workshop manual,a cheap shitbox, and try your best to get it roadworthy again. All the hours that you spend reading and watching videos will mean nothing until you gain the necessary hands-on experience to repair a car.

In the end, if you didnt fuck up too bad, you will have gained the basic knowledge and skills to properly maintain and service a vehicle, and have a running DD as proof of your hard work. Family and friends will now come to you demanding that you fix their cars for free, and blame you whenever shit goes wrong. cheers
>>
>>13842097
I'm not sure how any of that is relevant to me saying community college is for losers. I never went to college, I'm the self employed guy from above.
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 307x164px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 307x164px
>>13839592
Automation Game is a good one for learning. Has some helpful vids on engine basics
>>
Amateur mechanic here who has played Mechanic Sim 2014 and 2015.

If you want learn how to diagnose cars this is a great game. The game has you diagnose and replace almost every part and problem they could think of. It really helps learn.

The UI awful and clunky though so beware.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.