[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best series of half ton pickups, for actually using

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: 4079_cc2400_032_PS2.jpg (35KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
4079_cc2400_032_PS2.jpg
35KB, 700x525px
What is the best series of half ton pickups, for actually using as a truck, and why is that series the Third Generation Ram 1500?
>>
>>13839278
because it is a dodge
>inb4 hurr durr le FCA = shit meeme
>>
>>13839278
RUST
U
S
T
>>
>>13839280
>FCA fanboys have no better arguments
>FCA fanboys are this defensive
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (334KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
334KB, 1920x1080px
>>13839286
if you live anywhere near the Rust belt then you should be doing:

CORROSION CONTROL

With a wire brush and anti-corrosion paint at least once a year.
>>
>70's-80s
GM squarebody
>90s
Ford for dat I6 in the half tons and the 7.3 powerstroke
>00's
Gmt800
>2010's
they all suck for work unless you buy a bare bones base model and then they are all about equal

the dodge 1500s are utterly useless
>shit transmission
>rust everywhere
>front end problems out the ass
>more rust

the only other "shitty" trucks in my opinion are the pre duramax GM diesels, the jellybean f-150 and all of the ram 1500s pre 2010
>>
>>13839321
>shit transmission
The G238 is actually a really tough transmission and quite frankly overbuilt for the tow/haul ratings of the Ram 1500

>rust everywhere
All vehicles rust, especially in the north where we salt roads. It is up to the owner to perform corrosion control. Just because you're a nigger doesn't mean the truck has rust problems.

>front end problems out the ass
get an alignment done jackass

>more rust
stop being a nigger and do a bit of corrosion control
>>
>>13839350
>The G238 is actually a really tough transmission and quite frankly overbuilt for the tow/haul ratings of the Ram 1500
the g238 isnt bad in itself but if you dont change the fluid every 10,000 miles you will have problems (while you wouldnt in the other trucks)

>All vehicles rust, especially in the north where we salt roads. It is up to the owner to perform corrosion control. Just because you're a nigger doesn't mean the truck has rust problems
all im saying is, that if you take an 06 f150, an 06 silverado 1500, and an 06 ram 1500 and drive them in the same conditions for 100,000 miles while doing equal rust control the dodge will rust more than the others

>get an alignment done jackass
an alignment isnt going to fix the notirious rack and pinion leak and the fact that they eat tie rods and ball joints like crazy

>not to mention the MDS problems, problems with the c-clips in the LSD coming off, the 4.7L has overheating issues caused by a shit radiator design, the 5.7L ticks pretty much from the factory, the death wobble caused by shit front end design, the two piece drive shaft shudder in the 2500s, the shitty intermediate shaft in the steering column will cause a huge clunk after 30k miles, the heaters shit the bed constantly, and everyone i know with a 3rd gen ram has a leaking back window and wind noise in the front doors regardless of how many times they are re-sealed

great truck amirite?
>>
>>13839319
Since there's a lot of dumb shitty "rust removal/control products" here's the rust preventing guide for idiots.

1.) Remove all the rust with an angle grinder or wire cup/wheel drill bits. When I say all the rust I mean I all the rust. You can't just paint over rust and call it a day. Any product that claims it works over rust is snake oil. Let the brush do the work, if the rust is so bad the wheel isn't getting it then you need to remove the scale via a pick or angle grinder.

2.) Coat area in white vinegar ($3/gal)

3.) Paint with the cheap ass tractor paint (get any color with a "gloss" finish) that goes on like molasses ($30/gal)
>>
yuropoor here. they salt the roads every winter here also but after 15 years my peugeot 306 is *completely* rust free (except the battery tray) and the undercoating layer feels rock hard and impermeable.

do they also add acid to your road grit or something?
>>
>>13839402
>the g238 isnt bad in itself but if you dont change the fluid every 10,000 miles you will have problems (while you wouldnt in the other trucks)
Are you grinding it into gear constantly or just using the wrong oil? (like most modern manual transmissions you should be using ATF)
Oil changes for manual transmissions are a 50-75,000 mile thing regardless of make or model.

>all im saying is, that if you take an 06 f150, an 06 silverado 1500, and an 06 ram 1500 and drive them in the same conditions for 100,000 miles while doing equal rust control the dodge will rust more than the others
Citation needed

>an alignment isnt going to fix the notirious rack and pinion leak and the fact that they eat tie rods and ball joints like crazy
Mine has just over 100,000 miles on it, 65,000 of them are me. I've yet to have either of these problems.
Citation needed

>>13839437
Our salt is actually, in most places, calcium chloride. It is WAY better at it's job than rock salt but it is also WAY worse for vehicles.

Also your Peugeot is made of paper mache. Search your heart. You know it to be true.
>>
>>13839464
paper mache is fine, it's a rust proof and lightweight composite.

basically the same as carbonfibre :^)

I don't know what they use for road salt here but I'm 90% sure it's a mix of rock salt and sand
>>
>dodge
>best at anything
Yeah... Sure.
>>
>>13840442
usually the best looking cars, muh cummins and muh hemi
>>
>>13839484
Not the guy you're talking to, however you should consider Americans usually drive for longer distances. Which means more road "salt" accumulates. You should see how fucking filthy these shitboxes get in the winter.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (413KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
413KB, 1600x1200px
>>13839278
> best series of half ton pickups
>for actually using as a truck
>Half ton
>TRUCK

Nigga what?
>>
File: truck.jpg (175KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
truck.jpg
175KB, 816x612px
Pic related, actually used as truck.
>>
>>13839321
Gmt800 are shit. The transmission and rear end are shit
>>
File: puking from all orifices.jpg (59KB, 312x312px) Image search: [Google]
puking from all orifices.jpg
59KB, 312x312px
>>13839278
>chrysler
>>
>>13840494
Is it placebo that I believe "heavy duty trucks" AKA 3/4 ton & 1 ton are built better?
>>
Key question, are you looking at new or used, and what price range?
>>
>>13839321
>they all suck for work
No, you're just a Luddite.
>>
>>13839431
POR-15 works though, pal. It's just super expensive so nobody tries it.
>>
>>13842028
I don't think there are any new 4th Gen rams around.
>>
File: c319_1.jpg (76KB, 1024x687px) Image search: [Google]
c319_1.jpg
76KB, 1024x687px
>>13839278
Wait what lol?
Thats a half tonner?
You americans being fucking serious right now?
Fuck me and you say our utes are stupid for being 1 tonners...
>>
>>13842259
Are you really stupid or just ignorant?
>>
>>13842349
Both, he's Australian
>>
>>13840494
>>13841003

The truck must be appropriately sized to it's job. If you need a truck for real world truck things but they don't exceed the max specs for a half ton then there is no economical reason to go for a 3/4 or a 1 ton.

Max load specs for most trucks are downgraded 10-15% for insurance purposes. Given that the argument that the bigger truck will have better longevity isn't very good.
>>
>>13841003

They are built to carry the heavier loads but they can still fail at the same rate if run to the same % of load capacity, because, there is more load on them.

But if you are a larger contractor and get most of your loads delivered by the lumber/cement/hardware companies you will quickly notice that you are totally underusing your F-350 dually 4x4 and realize that you can scrub a little off your overheads by getting a Transit Connect for your measuring and test tools.

Obviously this is only one scenario because there are different grades of "MUH WURK"
>>
>>13842259
>BF XR8
>payload capacity a little over 500kg
>1 tonne
You're a few roos shirt in the top paddock eh mate?
>>
>>13843793
>shirt
top lel, Android keyboard strikes again.
>>
>>13842221
>beds raised a yard off the ground
>no ground clearance
>somehow still shit visibility
>CARB bullshit
>infotainment systems
>work truck

But I'm a luddite
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.