[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Qtddtot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 48

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.
Post your own questions, and try to help find the answer to any unanswered ones. Every post deserves a reply.
>>
why are aftermarket head units so ugly?
>>
I'm looking for a classic car that my girlffriend will like. She's got a few car models, and I wanna get her one. Problem is I can't find one she thinks looks good. Citroen DS, Fiat 500 or 600, C2 or 3 Corvette, Series 1 E-type, Classic Mini's, I tried all the common 'beautiful' cars, but I can't seem to find one. Any other ideas?

>>13824312
Because ricers don't have taste.
>>
>>13824341
Good luck finding a series 1 E-type. It will cost you at least 100 grand
>>
What are the best places to find FF1600 cars for sale in the USA and Canada, that aren't in the historic classes. I've found a few sites, but they almost never have anything up.

Help please.
>>
>>13824434
models, as in model car
>>
>>13824341
I think your E-type idea might be overkill. Those will cost you the median Americans earnings over 3 years for one in bad condition.

Let's see... Ideas for beautiful cars... Maserati 4200 will be about $20,000 and actually relatively new but with the classic GT car lines, along with a 200-2004 Jaguar XKR. A Jaguar XK can be had for less than $10,000. A current generation XK can be had for $15,000 sometimes.

Factory Five Shelby cobra kit for $20,000 completed. Factory Five Type 65 for $25-30,000 complete for the sexiest of GT design.
>>
>>13824520
>model car

Oh.

Shit.

Original Mercedes SLS?
>>
File: DSC09608-1.jpg (155KB, 1023x756px) Image search: [Google]
DSC09608-1.jpg
155KB, 1023x756px
is this a good car?
>>
If I have a 25 year old car, should I keep the original sound system or get a new one?
Unsure if I plan on keeping the car or eventually selling it. It's a 1992 25th anniversary Mercury cougar. So almost 25 years. Only 40k miles.
>>
>>13824580
If the sound system still works fine, then I'd just keep it. If it's cracking and going bad, perhaps try to hit up a junkyard for a replacement if originality is important to you.
>>
>>13824580
i wouldn't go overboard. definitely nothing ugly
>>
>>13824559
No.
>>
File: 1330460521506.jpg (589KB, 720x959px) Image search: [Google]
1330460521506.jpg
589KB, 720x959px
whats the best way to clean fuel injectors?
i was thinking of throwing them in a jar of acetone and shaking it a while.
other ideas?
>>
File: decarb.jpg (49KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
decarb.jpg
49KB, 768x768px
>>13824632
carb and choke or carbon free sprayed through them, use a 12v power source to make them open and close
>>
File: s0482440_sc7.jpg (18KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
s0482440_sc7.jpg
18KB, 380x380px
>>13824662
would a can of this work? its easy to get
>>
>>13824672
sure, best to use a spray though
>>
Is it worth changing oil myself when I could take it to NTB to get it done, brake check, battery check, and top off the wiper fluid for $20? The oil itself cost that much.
>>
>>13824536
Model car. Not a real one.
>>
>>13824722
Yeah, I saw that after.
>>
>>13824686
you cant check that stuff yourself?
the people who work at ntb a shit
>>
>>13824544
Nope. Ugly according to her.

Could get her an AMG GT though, or an SLS.

>>13824559
Maybe. Depends on what you want in a car.

>>13824632
Ultrasonic cleaner might work.

>>13824686
In the economic sense, yes. Just make sure they do the filter too. You can do a brake and battery check yourself easily.
>>
My sister let a 1997 Honda CRV sit for the summer and i went to start it up recently and it started up quick, but when i went to put it in drive it didn't move then it died. Afterwards it will turn over but never catch and combust. We tried pushing it into the garage to work on it but seems as if the parking break seized. So what do you guys think it is that broke when i tried to move it in drive while it was stuck in place?
>>
Why don't more people like Lexus? They seem pretty based.
Luxury interior, solid engine, status symbol, RWD, decently cheap. What's not to like?
>>
Every once in a while when I check on my fluids I find that my coolant is really low, and I top it up. This happens about once every two months, but a little more recently now that it's cold out.

The cooling system isn't leaking anywhere that I could see on my driveway, and I don't think it's my head gasket because the oil is normal. Where could the coolant be going?

Car is '91 e30 with M40 engine
>>
When people refer to something like a "bolt on turbo" does that still require some magic ECU reprogramming nonsense, or does it have some kind of built in software where the change is simple?
>>
>>13824820
lexus are numb usually
thats the best way to describe them. not much feedback. numb. its hard to get used to
>>
>>13824820
You're right about all but status symbol. Let's be honest, Japanese cars, even their premium brands, hold no prestige.

Lexus LFA being the only exception.
>>
>>13824796
Transmission cable problems. It would keep you from moving it because it's in Park when you think it's in Neutral, and it'd keep you from starting it because it isn't in Park when you think it is (safety feature: it won't start if it's not in Park).

>>13824820
Brand image is that it's for old people.
Interior on some is just rehashed Toyota (or indeed pretty good). Engines are good but not industry leading. Performance models have good engines but are usually kept down by either their heavy weight or meh-tier transmission. Not all are RWD. They are decently cheap,but not enough to warrant the loss in brand image versus the Germans. They're just not as big of a status symbol, because of the older demographic that's driving them.

>>13824834
Engine is probably not leaking, but still a bit moist,maybe around the head, or the radiator is slowly leaking. It's colder out,metal shrinks, and therefore leaks expand. Just keep adding a bit, unless you find some major flaws in your cooling system after inspecting it again.
>>
Can I put an led halo kit(like pic related), that goes around the housing, not just the bulbs, on a headlight with angel eyes?
>>
>>13824878
that looks ugly
>>
>>13824878
fuck off nigger
>>
>>13824848
Absolutely true.
Drove my friends GS300. I described it as smooth, but I couldn't get any feedback from it. I guess that was their goal in manufacturing it though.

>>13824849
My roommate drove a relatively newer, sportier Lexus (can't remember what it was) and girls would always swoon over it.
>>
>>13824844
Bolt on means you can bolt the individual parts on. No cutting for the most part. You will need to splice into the wiring harness though, unless they also mention plug and play. It's not an easy thing to just bolt on a turbo though, it'll be quite hard to install the whole thing.

>>13824849
To be honest Lexus started off the right way, scaring the German competitors quite a lot with the LS400. Most of the stuff after that was Toyota-based, and they lost what set them apart from both the Germans and the other Japanese manufacturers. You're right though about the LFA, it's a high water mark for them. When Lexus works on a single car for the better part of a decade, it usually ends up being great. When they rebody a Toyota (looking at you, CT200h), it usually sucks.
>>
>>13824844
Probably means it comes with tuning or replacement ECU of varying quality.
>>
So my car died and I've been looking to buy a car. I read that buying a new car is dumb since it loses a lot of value.
I drive about 65 miles of mostly highway every day so I want to get something with good fuel economy. I've been thinking of getting a 2012~ hybrid like the Chevy volt but Ive read that they arent very good for highway driving. What are some good options?
>>
>>13824844
Why would you have to change the ECU for a turbo? As long as it's a manual, you're fine. Don't be retarded.
>>
http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/5303786878.html

How much would I be spending to figure out why the cylinder is misfiring?
>>
>>13825390
$100-150~ if you take it to a good mechanic they can figure out whats wrong.
>>
from the last thread:

uggo gen 2 ford focus, manual, 73K mile, broken door handle, $3500. passed the /o/ test drive sticky with flying colors.

how'd i do /o/?
>>
>>13825246
because it will run lean otherwise you fucking retard
>>
Im new with cars and such, recently bought a 2002 grand am. 4 cyl. My question is, why sometimes when I floor it, it won't accelerate as fast as it does when i floor it other times?
>>
>>13825786
its probably in need of a tune up
spark plugs, injector cleaning, maybe a dead o2 sensor by now. how many miles?
>>
>>13825796
Engine has 45k. Tranny has 277k.
>>
>>13825786
I had a 2001 Grand Am. I know exactly what's wrong with it.

It's a fucking piece of garbage. Also it's FWD so you're just spinning the front tires when you're not accelerating as fast.

Seriously it's a complete piece of garbage
>>
>>13824686
>take it to a cheap speed-e-lube
nope. they will do dumb shit like use impact wrenches on your oil pan drain bolt. Their house oil and filters are literally crap, and the "vehicle safety check" is just there to scam you; so you go in for the oil change and walk out with a brake job.
STAY AWAY.

>good cheap dino oil should be $2/quart, buy in cases and wait for sales for best deal
>most vehicles take 4-6 quarts per change
>good filters are about $5
>a gallon of washer fluid is like $4
>>
Do 3rd gen camaros really have visibility issues?

For someone who is 6 foot 2 inches, would I be able to sit properly or scrap top the top of my head on the roof / need to recline the seat some?
>>
Hey I'm new here and I'm wondering where the best non school place to learn /o/ skills, I was looking into getting a job at a quick lube type place just to get my foot in the door.
>>
>>13827219
>working at speed-e-lube
>learn everything wrong
fuck you.

part stores are better but you don't get the hands on skills, however they will hire anyone. I remember reading on this board somewhere that some vatozone employee got to take ASE tests through them or got paid to do it or something.
>>
>>13825786
Does your car have traction control on it?
>>
>>13827247
Yup. I tried turning it off seemed to work. My vehicle does hard idle sometimes. When i have the air on, sometimes when it's off. Im hoping a tune up will fix the issue. Could be spark plugs?
>>
My sunroof has a little trouble closing and squeaks as it goes along. The motor is just fine and I assume it's the tracks and such. Is it OK to spray some silicone lubricant on the tracks?

I used it on the seals around my power windows and now they glide silently and don't stick anymore but some people say to use a grease for the sunroof.
>>
>>13827246
Kragens used to pay for ASE certs. Back before it was bought by Oreillys.
>>
I recently moved to the country, where all the roads are curvy as fuck and tracked over massive fucking mountains. When this shit inevitably ices over, will I be fucked driving my Civic? Should I look for something 4x4?
>>
>>13824632
maybe you could use fuel injector cleaner
>>
>>13827352

Winter tires

4WD doesn't do anything but help you get going
>>
>>13824632
Send them to witch hunter or the like.

>>13825246
Please stop posting.
>>
>>13827354
i tried that, shit is weaksauce.
>>
>>13825390
>http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/5303786878.html
ask the guy what codes it is throwing
>>
How can do I tell the difference between exhaust smoke from burning coolant vs because it's really cold outside? I've read coolant smells sweet but that's a bit too subjective.
>>
>>13824878
>"Upgrading" headlights on a vehicle that will actually make visibility worse by throwing lumens in random directions instead of where they belong.
>>
File: jeanluc.jpg (28KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
jeanluc.jpg
28KB, 694x530px
>>13827327
I really miss them, the irish is okay but their quality of employee was so much better and even their shit tools were bretty gud. Vatozone is literally a joke where i'm at, they opened one store this year and every time i walk in there it's deserted and they never have what i need, plus their prices are terrible. It will probably close next year.
>tfw there's 4 o'reillys in a 20 sq.mi. area with maybe a population of 75,000 (more like 65,000)

>>13827352
>FWD in the ice and snow
surprisingly effective
>>
>>13827439
only good way to know is to monitor your coolant level. if you have to top it off frequently you probably have either a bad head gasket and you are burning coolant, or you have a leak in one of your coolant hoses/expansion tank/radiator.

Also water vapor burns off after a few minutes of driving
>>
Unanswered from last threa:

Why doesn't Ford do HUDs like Chevy does? Mustang would be sick with a HUD.

Are there any good aftermarket HUDs that don't look like shit? I'm guessing the windshield needs a special coating or something in the HUD area for it to project which is why all the aftermarket HUDs I've seen have some glass that comes up and looks dumb.

Is there a dash cam that can simultaneously record inside and outside the vehicle? Or is my best bet to mount it behind the front seats or use one with a swivel when I want to record something other than out the front?

If I have multiple things that use the ODBII port, would getting like a y-splitter work, or would the devices conflict with each other?

If I have 3 things using the 12v outlet (lets say radar detector, dash cam, and a tablet) with one of those 3 way splitters, would I be at any risk of overloading the outlet? Guessing the only option then would be to hard wire some stuff.
>>
Best way to remove a seized oil filter
inb4 clasp filter wrench it won't fit in the area I have
>>
>>13828050
I usually use a channel lock and go to town. It's not you need the filter in working condition afterwards.
>>
>>13828191
channel locks also don't fit
>>
So I discovered a freon leak on my low pressure side. If I've been running the AC for a while and the leak is sizeable enough, can that leak translate to a significant amount of heat?

>>13828012
>Is there a dash cam that can simultaneously record inside and outside the vehicle?
Dual-camera dash cams do exist but I don't know the model off-hand. Should be a quick google.
>>
>>13825390
Just grind the lobes off the cam that run that cylinder. Disconnect the injector and the spark plug wire. Boom! Custom 3 cylinder miata.
>>
I want to run manual brakes on my CRX so I can fit in a clutch master (so i can run hydro tranny without conversion shits)

What size master should I get? 1"? Anyone with experience with old murican cars or just anything with non power brakes
>>
Are either of these still viable?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5272121756.html

http://athensohio.craigslist.org/cto/5296305973.html

I know that their prices aren't the best, but I'm obviously willing to talk them down.
>>
File: resizer[1].jpg (94KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
resizer[1].jpg
94KB, 640x480px
Does this look fixable?

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?itemID=20489220&RowNumber=0&loadRecent=True#SaleinfoDiv
>>
>>13828050
screwdriver through filter housing. Try a belt first tho.
>>
>>13828495
lel nope
>>
>>13828495
$10k+ fix best scenario
>>
When looking for an OBDII reader, what should I...well, look for? Especially if I'm trying not to spend a crapton on proprietary stuff like Tech2.
>>
File: 20151107_173718.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20151107_173718.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Repost from the current classic car thread:

Anyone got any suggestions for chasing down electrical gremlins? I was fucking around with the light switch on my '69 F-250 when I heard a pop from under the hood, opened it up and there was a bunch of smoke from an unknown source, and the truck has no power now. I figured it was the starter solenoid, so I replaced that today but I've still got nothing. It was definitely something to do with the light switch, because the fuse for the lights was fried. Anyone have any input?
>>
>>13828794
Did you replace any lights with Halogens in the past? That can straight up fry your wires and kill all your lights, possibly even fuck your whole circuit. It happened to my brother's Eagle.
>>
>>13828804
Nope, I've only had the truck since late August and the lights are still incandescents.
>>
>>13828845
Hmm check that none of your grounds are dirty then. Especially the ground strap for the engine
>>
Best moped!?? I'm looking to get one when I move into the city because 100+ mpgs and nimbleness. I like how the Honda ruckuses look but I don't like the traditional vespa-esque route. Basically less fairings the better. Any ideas??
>>
>>13828794
No power to the starter, or no power at all? Take a test light or multimeter and follow the voltage from the battery to see how far it gets. If turning on the lights killed all you power you have a huge short somewhere that blew up the positive wire somewhere between the battery and the starter, the ground, or the wires going to the fuse block.
>>
>>13824632
Sea foam worked great for me. If you're removing then I'd dump them in a bath of brake cleaner
>>
>>13828411
Manual clutch is a thousand times better than manual brakes.

What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>13828411
facebook dot com

notes/joes-racing/master-cylinder-math-explained/218382938195729

>NORMIES REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>13828877
No power at all. When I get a chance I think I'm going to see if I can get the starter to crank by giving it direct power from the battery. I'm also going to try and trace any wires to see if there are maybe any burned up inline fuses or any obviously fucked up wires. I should add that the replacement solenoid I got is one I located at the junkyard that looked brand new, so maybe I have shit luck and that one doesn't work either.
>>
File: 1438701891879.jpg (10KB, 270x188px) Image search: [Google]
1438701891879.jpg
10KB, 270x188px
>>13828794
1. Drift your car
2. Kill self
>>
>>13828988
There's no reason to crank the starter directly from the battery, what would you be trying to deduce from that? Turning on the headlight switch wouldn't result in a bad starter or battery which is all that would test. Go get a cheap harbor freight multimeter or test light and read about how DC power works. You have a short somewhere and it's not hard to find but you need to learn how power works on a car, a bad starter solenoid wouldn't cut power to the whole car nor would it short when you turned on the headlights.
>>
HOw the hell do you remove plasti-dip from rims? I just got a car and the previous owners decided they didnt like the plain rims and put some color on there, but they did such a shitty job of it that now its giving me a lot of trouble trying to take it off since it doesnt peel off like it's "supposed" to, please help
>>
>>13829186
Maybe he used shitty off brand dip or tried to use a primer (you're not supposed to). Anyway just blast brake cleaner at it and scrape hard at it
>>
>>13828865
this was the resource everyone pointed me to back when i was interested in mopeds. good luck

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/First_moped
>>
>>13829021
>ASS HOLE
>>
>>13829204
will brake cleaner mess with the clear coat? also dont i have to be super careful not to get it on the paint? im guessing its a harsh chemical, yeah?
>>
>>13828463
No one?
>>
>>13829321
"Yes"
But I don't see how brake cleaner will help you remove plastidip unless it dissolves it, which I could be wrong, but I don't think it does. And if it does, you would spend $100 in cans to take dip off your wheels.
I would use a power washer.
>>
Lawn mower was leaking fuel and soaked most of the brand new air filter (square) I just put in for a minute.

Is it still good or trash?
>>
>>13829351
hmm, okay. Ivw heard pressure washer is an option too. I took it down to the local self service car wash to use their high pressure sprayer but it wasnt doing any better than i was managing at home, Ive been scraping and scraping with a lug nut brush and a spatula/flipper but its very slow work
>>
>>13829360
You will really need a washer that goes off of fan mode, or is higher pressure than you'd use to wash a car.
>>
>>13829371
huh, alright, ill have to look around and see if i can rent one or check if any of my friends would have one i could use for a bit. thanks! im trying my best to make this car look nice and the wheels are just about the final part, since the dip job is so terrible
>>
>>13829382
Might be cheaper to just get new wheels at this point, the ones you've got might need refinishing after yoi finally get the plastishit off, further compoubding your costs. Do a quick online search is you can get some secondhand ones, if they're stock wheels they should be pretty cheap.
>>
>>13829398
i dont think theyre super expensive, but i was planning on refinishing them anyways in a different color and doing it properly
>>
>>13829356
Probably okay. Let it dry out and inspect if the foam has degraded it's trash.
>>
What's a good way to keep up on cars? things like magazines, and general publications. Suggested magazines/publications that are more orientated to keeping up with general cars not just what new tune kit is out.
>>
>>13830403
Car and Driver is probably one of the best for that. Haven't touched an actual magazine in years, so don't really know what else is around.
>>
>>13830436
Thanks. Kind of sad to see that the corolla finally getting disk brakes some how translated to worse stopping performance though.
>>
So my government is trying to pass this retarded law that would restrict new drivers from driving "powerful" cars.
I'm naturally interested: are there any new cars at all, that have less than 0.06 kw/kg (0.027 kw/lbs)? That would be 60 kw for a 1000kg (or 2700 lbs) vehicle.
We're talking about the curb weight btw.
>>
>>13830585
*my country's government
>>
>>13830585
less than 80hp? Nothing I can think of is below that (I think maybe the smart car might be in that range). Are they considering cars over 80hp to be "powerful?" If so that's a joke if I've ever heard one.
>>
>>13830594
Yes, I wouldn't even be able to drive a 1.5 civic if this law passed.
You don't even wanna know what the politics are in my country, a bunch of dirty populists. This is all because some youngster crashed some bimmers and there was a public outrage about that. Basically old people are getting angry at young people because they refuse to drive diesel VW Passats.
>>
>>13830585
Welcome to the nanny state. Any car over 100 hp is practically impossible to insure if you're 18 and poor. Want to ride a motorcycle with more than 15hp between the age of 18 and 20? NOPE. After that you're limited to 49 hp for another two years, and only after that you can ride anything over 50. Pure and utter bullshit,but it mkaes money(every new hp level means you need a new license and driving test, duh).

>>13830594
Most euro 1L shitboxes are below 80hp.
>>
>>13830585
New? christ... i dont know
The new corolla is out @ 0.07

cant be bothered searching others, but you might end up with a system like australia has regarding its bikes where they have bikes restricted by certified mechanics for learners bikes (atleast thats my understanding of it.)
>>
>>13830585
>MFW you can still own a normally aspirated AW11 MR2 deathtrap.

Also both AE82 and AE92 FXGT's in stock trim are fine.
>>
>>13830609
Could you give any examples? I'm looking for cars that are not older than 2014.
I know that there are a bunch of old cars that are below 0.06 kw/kg
>>
>>13830618
VW Golf MK7
The 1.1l Bluemotion petrol engine makes 68kw in one trim.
The 1.6L Bluemotion diesel makes 66kw

This is using the lowest kerbweights from wikiped. which allow a maximum of 72kw for the car. several engine options for the Mk 7 golf use a 77kw engine.

Using an average weight from the two listed on wikiped would allow up to 78kw opening up a few more engine options.

Finland also has moped cars that probably meet the requirements. Try googling "Mopoauto"
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-10+at+01.35.02).png (97KB, 1078x908px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-10+at+01.35.02).png
97KB, 1078x908px
>>13830618
The fiat panda (which according to wikiped is the largest selling 'city car' in europe) has an average kerb weight of around 1ton.

you can get it with a straight two engine making a whopping 44kw.
>>
File: Grecav_EKE_Light_Quadricycle.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Grecav_EKE_Light_Quadricycle.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>13830637
>>13830643
Oh, okay, fair enough. Still a shit law to have though.
Mopoauto doesn't look appealing at all btw desu
>>
>>13830618
Ford fiesta can have up to 64kw
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-10+at+01.37.37).png (98KB, 1069x906px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-10+at+01.37.37).png
98KB, 1069x906px
>>13830658
my bad heres ford fiesta engine options
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-10+at+01.42.51).png (79KB, 1048x757px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-10+at+01.42.51).png
79KB, 1048x757px
opel corsa could have 70.71 kw
>>
so im done doing your homework for you, heres the suggestions from wikipedia

Ford Fiesta, Opel Corsa, the SEAT Ibiza, Volkswagen Polo, Citroën C2, Suzuki Swift, Smart Forfour, Tata Indica, Fiat 500, Peugeot 1007, Ford Figo, Honda Brio, Honda Logo, Perodua Myvi, Proton Satria and Toyota Vitz.
>>
>read rules on the light mopoauto's
>petrol engines maximum of 50cc
>diesel/other max 4kw.

Wait a minute, theres no KW limit for the petrol ones? oh god now i want to try tuning a 50cc engine. OHC? 12,000rpm redline? turbo? water injection? that shit would be hillarious screaming down the road. total deathtrap.
>>
Dealer bungled a trade in, so the car I traded in is showing up as still being owned by me. This made the MVA assume I was driving it around without insurance and they wouldn't let the newer car get registered. They did give me the title though.

I just have to produce the bill of sale for insurance thing to go away.

But I don't know what I have to do to get the newer car registered. My goal is to avoid any "late" fees or whatever. Bought the car about two months ago and found this out after receiving a letter from the dealer last week.

Does anyone know if you get punished for waiting too long to register a vehicle in Maryland?

I checked the website, but it lumps titling and registering together.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/registration/title-registration-info.htm#usedvehicles
>>
>>13830742
*500cc
>>
>>13830618
Detuning an existing car might work. Just take a VW GTI and reduce output to say 50 hp, dyno it for proof, and then install a switch that gets rid of the restrictive tune. It might technically be insurance fraud though - althoughbcommonly done with 50cc mopeds around here, which are restricted to 45kph. Flick a switch and you'll go 100kph(on a deathtrap), flick it again and Johnny Cop can't do shit (unless he find the switch).

>>13830742
Destroke a 600cc supersport bike engine, add turbo, 200hp all day. In a scary light cehicle intended for about 50kph...
>>
>>13830767
what about a rotary?
>>
>>13830781
Not going to work, I think. Swept volume of a single Mazda rotor is about 650cc. A Van Veen(Citroen) or Suzuki might work, but all of those old ones lack power, they're expensive and parts are hard to get, and I don't know of anybody who has boosted them. Just figuring out injector and turbo sizes is going to be a whole lotta work.
>>
Back from uni. Answering time.

>>13824509
There's plenty for sale - why no classic ones though? What's your budget, and how far are you willing to travel?

>>13824796
Shift linkage needs adjustment as per >>13824868

>>13825097
Have you read the sticky? What's your budget? Location? How mich room do you need? Is fuel economy your only criteria? Max age and mileage? Where do you live?
Hybrids usually can't take advantage of their hybrid system on the highway - so regular cars can be better there?

>>13825585
Sounds pretty good if you're already working on preventative maintenance, and fixing that door handle.

>>13826927
You can always modify the seat to be lower, by removing seat foam or modifying the rails. I can remember fitting properly in one without problems (6'1" ), and without any visibility issues I could see. Onky had my license for a few weeks, so take that with a grain of salt.

>>13827316
Completely depends on what make and model your car is. Remove dirt and debris from the tracks/rubbers first, then apply lube/grease. Shop manual for your car might tell you what kind to use. Don't use anything but what the manufacturer says, anything else might degrade the rubbers and then you don't have a sunroof anymore - you'll have a nice rectangular leak that opens up in sunny weather.

>>13828495
Yes. Not worth fixing though.

>>13828865
Where do you live? Moped market is different on every continent.

>>13830744
Have you tried calling them?
>>
>>13830875
>Have you tried calling them?

Yeah, called the MVA to clarify the ownership and insurance stuff. Faxed them the bill of sale earlier today. They can't address anything else until they review the situation and the insurance hold is removed.

So in the mean time, I'm trying to determine if or how I need to avoid additional fees.
>>
>>13829186
so ive been doing some more research and heard that wd-40 is a good way to get plasti-dip off, but will that hurt any of the clear coat underneath? like i said, i plan on redipping them with a different color because the rims are kind of beat up, but ive heard some mixed things about these different cleaners
>>
>>13827451
Thank you for an actual answer
>>
my serpintine belt snapped sometime during 2 hour drive but i managed to make it to destination. then after realizing and replacing it, i got a jump a returned home, 2 hours, from dead flat battery. my battery is fucked, i know, but after getting a charge on it, my fuel pump is not priming/working. car is electronic fuel injected 80s honda.

besides the battery, what could i have fried?
>>
>>13832995

How was the temperature of the car?
Most cars have their water pumps driven by the serpentine belt, so...
>>
>>13833105
temp was fine, that belt goes only to alternator. car is 30 years old and 280k miles, could be an unrelated failure but the odds are still low
>>
>>13833114

You've checked the fuses?
>>
>>13833127
yes. well im a dummy, i have another car here so i tried jumping it and the fuel pump kicked right in. ill get this battery tested and go from there, thanks for the posts/being a soundboard
>>
>>13833341

I guess the complete depletion of power was the last straw that broke the camels back
>>
Complete novice here:

My 97' Jeep Cherokee all of a sudden has this terrible rattling noise when I'm in 3rd or 4th gear, and even in neutral.

What's wrong and what do?
>>
>>13833412
where is it coming from? can you feel it through certain pedals? is it rpm specific? as in is does it happen at a certain speed/tone of the engine?
>>
>>13833482
I feel it the worst whenever I'm accelerating.
Don't really think it's rpm specific either, just in those gears.

I wish I could give you better responses but it's been like 5 days since I've driven it and I didn't really wanna have to until I could do something about it.
>>
what does an alternator have to do with having a turbo
>>
>>13833540
It's an /o/ meme; lurk more.
>>
>>13833553
k
>>
do engines with 5 valves per cylinder have 3 intake valves or 3 exhaust valves
>>
>>13835059
3 intake
>>
>>13830585
>>13830606
>>13830609
haha oh wow. which commie dump are we talking about here?

I mean I don't think new drivers should drive shit with 400hp because they're novices, retarded, and don't know what they're doing...
BUT a blanket law like that is retarded, it should be up to their parents to not be complete fucknuts, though insurance costs largely cut down on that.
And also, 80hp/1000kg seems stupid low.
>>
File: S088.jpg (226KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
S088.jpg
226KB, 1440x900px
I know nothing about cars but have been doing part-time construction for the last ~4 years and wanna get my Class-B CDL.
I've been driving our 2 ton dump trucks for a while and know how to operate them fairly well, but does the permit/licence test involve a lot of knowledge of how the vehicle works? Because I have none of that.
>>
Is it ever worth it to buy a new car ever?
>>
How much work would it be to take an engine, a tranny, a solid body/frame, whatever other parts you need, and just throw them all together? How exactly does compatibility work in the auto world?
>>
>>13835360
Define worth.

From a purely financial perspective, no. Cars aren't an essential part of personal life so their worth compared to one another is inherently subjective.

I'm not gonna do the math, but I'd say probably the best financial way to go about it is buying a car, like a civic that holds its value, still on warranty maybe a year or two old and then selling it as soon as it's up and/or while it's still in demand. Some time frame like that.
>>
>>13835360
Usually no. It almost never makes financial sense to buy a car new.
That said, I always buy new. I HATE having had someone drive my cars before me, not knowing what they've done to it or how well they maintained the car, not knowing what repairs have been done to it, etc.
That said, I have the money to do that. It's a waste but it's one I can afford. I would not buy new cars like this if I was working an hourly job that didn't pay me enough.
Only way I'd buy used is if I was going to do something completely stupid like trying to make a stripped out drag car for shits and giggles.

>>13835437
It's easier on older cars because no computer, you just have to get parts that are going to work well together (e.g. not a gimpy tranny on a huge motor) and fit them in. Kind of trial and error.
On newer cars it's a pain in the fucking ass, the newer the worse. Everything goes through the computer so getting shit to work together is nearly impossible and not something you can do in your garage anymore.
>>
>>13835502
Also, I run my cars into the ground so that helps with the overall value equation on my end.
I have 2 cars, the one I'm about to replace is a 2000 so even though it was new when I got it, I've gotten ~16 years of value out of it and expect the next one to be the same way.
>>
>>13835437
The basics for compatibility are this

1) the engine has to fit in the bay
2) the transmission has to fit the engine, either natively or through a bell housing adapter
3) the output shaft of the trans and the input shaft of the differential have to be the same bolt pattern (i think this may not matter i dont really know, if it matters though its for balancing)

the rest doesn't really matter if you know how to weld. but obviously if its just random shit from random cars it's going to take a ton of mechanical engineering. that's basically what the engineers at ___ car company do all day every day.

anything can be made to do anything as long as it fits, that's the fun of engineering.
>>
>>13835502
Car build car guy here, any links to good reads about throwing mismatch parts together/?
>>
>>13824559
No

>>13824632
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mnA0cnXckg
>>
My parents have a 2002 impala with the 3800 v6. If you drive it and let it warm up, then shut it off and let it sit for 15 minutes, it doesn't want to start. Cranks and sputters, but will die after a few seconds. Pressing the gas pedal helps, but it will still run rough for about 10-15 seconds, and then run normal. Only has trouble starting when hot, cold starts and runs fine. Looking online various suggestions are fuel pressure regulator, crank position sensor, and idle air control valve. I really don't know how to find what's causing it.
>>
File: Car-Theft.jpg (100KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
Car-Theft.jpg
100KB, 1024x682px
Are car alarms worth it? I don't need all the fancy features of a Viper system, just some peace of mind. Lojack with the early warning system seems like a good idea. Or, am I better off with a kill switch?
>>
File: IMAG0933.jpg (789KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0933.jpg
789KB, 1520x2688px
>>13828050
Get a cap that fits. Works every time without mangling the filter or busting your knuckles. Pic related
>>
/o/, I am almost completely clueless about car shit, but LED stuff has never let me down. I'm considering these:

tinyurl dot com slash nl2qxwh

Is this a terrible idea for some reason that I'm forgetting? Many thanks
>>
How many miles to bikes last??? Looking for a smaller bike to be my first 250cc
>>
>>13827352
>>13827356
>>13827484
1) FWD sedan or 4WD pickup for snow?
2) general altimax artic or bfg all terrain ko2?
>>
How much modifying does one need to do in order to have a Nos system?
>>
File: reallynow.jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
reallynow.jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
>>13835717
I always hated these cliche stock photos. In reality it would be a black man or mexican man stealing your car.
>>
What is objectively the BEST BIG MEATY CAR?

I want the niggest vehicle possible.
>>
>>13824686
They probably wont change the oil, or not change the filter or some shit. Quick lube places are scams. And brake and battery check? Literally all a brake check is is looking at your pads and rotors and seeing if they still have material left.

Wiper fluid? Just use fucking water.
>>
>>13835953
>be made to do anything as
plenty of uneducated whites commit crimes tho
>>
>>13836068
i'm not sure where the greentext came from
>>
File: 2008_Chrysler_300.jpg (215KB, 2464x1516px) Image search: [Google]
2008_Chrysler_300.jpg
215KB, 2464x1516px
>>13836055
>>
File: Uy1pyqx.jpg (175KB, 546x700px) Image search: [Google]
Uy1pyqx.jpg
175KB, 546x700px
>>13836068
>>
>>13836081

My black friend at work has one of these, it looks pretty rad and I'm kind of gelatinous.

Is the 300 /actually/ better than the charger in some way? What other options are there?
>>
File: rimz.png (602KB, 837x831px) Image search: [Google]
rimz.png
602KB, 837x831px
What would you call this type of wheel?
>>
Where's the best place to put WAT stickers on a Miata?

Obviously the rear window isn't going to work.
>>
File: stance is cool right.jpg (422KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
stance is cool right.jpg
422KB, 1200x900px
Does a 5th gen prelude make a good DD?

If so, should I avoid a type SH because of the suspension system being expensive to fix?
>>
>>13836140
I'd call it a Vossen VF series :^D
>>
>>13836082
no really it's true. i've seen them do it.
>>
>>13835687
>actually managing to kill a 3800 Series II
h-how?
>>
>>13835533
Idk honestly, I don't do this type of shit.. I just know it's difficult as hell now with the way on board computers have developed and that it's much easier to work with older cars.
>>
>>13836918
I killed the 3800 in my Camaro once.

One of the coolant hoses had a leak that I couldn't find and the car overheated a few times on the way home in the middle of winter. Shortly after replacing all the fucking hoses, the head gasket blew and bearings were spun.
>>
File: 4543263919.jpg (312KB, 1181x1063px) Image search: [Google]
4543263919.jpg
312KB, 1181x1063px
anyone knows the ATE brake brand?
I can get 4 pads for almost the same price as Bosch and Brembo pads but they do come with wear sensors too ("lost" mine for some reason).
Are they good?
>>
Would a gutted foxbody notch make a good drift car? It's light, RWD, and got some bretty gud low end torque
>>
>>13837433
Its a good brand, they make brake components for euro cars. My e46 and e90 had oem parts made by Ate. Their brake fluid is Godtier.
>>
>>13833412
So no noise when you're in 1st or 2nd? Sounds like internal transmission shit, probably the shift forks that connects 3rd and 4th.

>>13833540
They're both approximately the same size, both round, and normies confuse the two.

>>13835059
Depends on design. 99% have 3 intake valves though.

>>13835347
>A prospective driver must pass a written test on highway safety and a test about different parts of a truck with a minimum of 30 questions on the test.
>To pass the driving skills test the student driver must successfully perform a set of required driving maneuvers.
Sounds pretty easy to me. DMV apparently has some 20$ booklet on what to know, and it doesn't really sound any harder than a basic motorcycle test here in Europe (which is 1 step above cars in terms of difficulty).

>>13835533
Look up Lemons racing. Once you understand how to put a radial aircraft engine into the back of an SW20, and a CBR900 engine into a Subaru, you're pretty much set.

>>13835824
>Is this a terrible idea for some reason that I'm forgetting?
Yeah, you'll look like a ricer.
>High performance of Waterproof, dustproof ,quakeproof, anti-explosion.
>anti-explosion
That's some serious headlights right there.

>>13835858
A good bike will last you approximately 200-300 thousand miles before a complete rebuild, some more, some less. A 250cc 4 stroke should reach at least 200K miles before engine rebuild. However, everything else that's degradable(tires, chain, sprockets), needs replacing well before that, and several times. Just remember that a bike will only make that engine rebuild if it's been taken care of properly. Go ask /dbt/ by the way.

>>13835945
Mounting naws bottle, plumbing all the line, mounting solenoids and cable into the cabin, drilling and tapping intake manifold for the jets, and then making a bunch of hardline, and then completely rebuilding your engine because your tune was off and you blew the welds on your intake.

>>13836140
Multi spoke.
>>
I bought a 1993 Toyota pickup a couple months ago and tonight there was an excessive amount of thick white smoke blowing out when it started. I'm going to take it into a mechanic tomorrow to see if it's a blown head gasket or something else.

I don't know hardly anything about cars, so this might be a stupid question. My question is this: provided it is a blown head gasket and the repair cost is $1500+, is it worth repairing?

I'm going to do more research, and this might be more a matter of personal finance, but any info is appreciated. I paid $2500 (Bay Area so everything's more expensive) for what a 195,000 miles, one owner truck that I thought was well-maintained (got all the service records). I'd hoped it would last me 100,000 more miles or so.

This is starting to ramble, so if you have any input/experiences/advice on blown head gaskets on cheap cars I'd really appreciate it, thanks
>>
>>13836608
Rear bumper, front windshield, front vent window.

>>13836658
Gas mileage is meh, but otherwise they're good. I'd avoid the SH.

>>13837447
>light
>RWD
>solid rear end
Of course it would.Engine might be a bit underpowered, but that's not stopping any 86 from drifting.

>>13837691
Warm it up, check if the smoke keeps appearing. Also, check your coolant level. If the smoke disappears after that, you're fine.

What engine does your truck have?

Personally, I'd try and do the headgasket fix myself, but that wouldn't work if you're not mechanically inclined.
>>
Retard's manual questions, since no one explains manuals like you're a retard when I am a literal retard and need things explained simply.

You can never take your foot off of the clutch without shifting into neutral or turning the car off, right?

And you should leave your car in gear when it's parked, right?
>>
>>13837988
You only take your foot off the clutch if it's in gear, or in neutral. When you've turned the car off, you can let go of it ass well.
Depends on who you ask. You can leave your car in first gear when it's parked, but that isn't as secure as pulling the handbrake, especially on a hill. Also, someone might get into your car to drive it, crank the start without pressing the clutch, and if it doesn't have a safety for that, itl ram the car forwards - maybe into a parked car or wall or whatever.
>>
>>13837988
>You can never take your foot off of the clutch without shifting into neutral or turning the car off, right?
Letting the foot off the clutch with a gear engaged with cause the car to move or, most likely, the engine to stall. So yes, release the clutch only when in neutral or you want to move.

>And you should leave your car in gear when it's parked, right?
Not necessary, some say you might risk transmission damage if your car is hit while parked, some are afraid that the handbrake might fail and prefer to use the gear as an added safety.
I say one is as good as the other, I personally use the handbrake only because that is what I'm used to do and I always start the engine without pressing the clutch (which will cause the car to jump forward if for some reason I leave a gear in).
Do what makes you feel more comfortable, there are no real pros or cons that make a method better than the other.
>>
>>13824304
Car keeps filling with water due to a faulty door seal. Aside from duct tape, and the glue that melted off twice over the summer, how do I stick it back into place?
>>
>>13838275

Try some proper 2-component araldite
>>
File: 1983_00013_02.jpg (110KB, 731x454px) Image search: [Google]
1983_00013_02.jpg
110KB, 731x454px
Thinking about getting an '83 Mustang and I have an insurance related question.

Is getting classic car insurance for a daily driver a viable option? First car, by the way.
>>
>>13838275
vulkem sealant, it will stay flexible and last longer than glue or caulk. one part, moisture cures, use in a caulk gun.

>>13838446
>Norse JB weld
No.
>>
manual questions, continued, not the original asker, and I've been driving stick for years:

any downside to using both hand brake and leaving it in gear to park? I have to ram my clutch all the way down to start the engine, so no risk of the car jumping forward. I'm a belt and suspenders type, unless there is a reason to only use one or the other
>>
>>13838832
Some insurance companies put restrictions on classic car insurance. Limited amount of miles every year, seasonal coverage depending where you live. It also costs more.
>>
>>13840470
do neither

you gotta live a little :^)
>>
I'll be staying in the US for about 5 months next year and I'm thinking about renting a car. What should I look out for when it comes to them? How do I know I'll be jewed out?

NY area btw.
>>
File: 3536-BLACKCELESTE-m.jpg (89KB, 425x283px) Image search: [Google]
3536-BLACKCELESTE-m.jpg
89KB, 425x283px
>>13840524 NO BRAKES NO GEARS NO FEARS BRO
>>
>>13840498
>Costs more

No it doesn't, my family's 63 Beetle is insured for $7 a month full coverage
>>
>>13824304
Is transverse front engine rear wheel drive physically impossible or just not practically feasible?
>>
>>13840470
>leaving it in gear to park
if you are on a hill and choose the wrong gear this can jump start your car
but deploying the hand break or turning the wheels into the curb would stop this
>>
File: fiat 4x4 drive.jpg (64KB, 650x317px) Image search: [Google]
fiat 4x4 drive.jpg
64KB, 650x317px
>>13840872
yes but I would not advise it
>>
what 2-seaters don't have the "gay" stereotype associated with them?
>>
>>13840932
how gay is a viper ?
>>
does anything look or sound wrong with this engine?

vid.me RIGHT SLASH Y10b

thanks
>>
according to CA dmv website:
When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?

The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

does that mean the seller has to cover the smog? what is this 90 day thing? 3 months later i have to get it smogged again?

this one guy trying to sell me a pos cavalier refused to meet me at the dmv, saying i could just pay him and sign the title over. is it possible i could buy some car, find out it won't pass smog, and then have to deal with all the bullshit that comes with a car that won't pass smog?
>>
File: 3vzfe elbow.png (1MB, 1024x769px) Image search: [Google]
3vzfe elbow.png
1MB, 1024x769px
Hey guys, could you help me identify the circled elbow in the picture? What is it called? Like what should I search up when looking to buy this part?

The engine is a 3vzfe from a '93 Camry.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>13824304
Fellow /o/tists,I need some advice on transmission fluid.The car in question is my parent's 2003 Mitsubishi Diamante LS.I got the right ATF,but I'm not sure if I should add the fluid while it's cold,or after it's been warmed up.If it helps,the temperature outside is 50 degrees F or so,and the car has approximately 157K miles on it.Thanks,if anyone can help.
>>
>>13841107
looks like a hose for the idle air control valve
>>
Do any of the interior anti fog treatments work?
>>
>>13841107
Wouldn't it be easier to do away with most of the factory intake and retune to suit?
Seems like a bunch of other things change when you go SW20 anyway, personally i'd piss all that stuff off unless it was essential.
>>
I've read this a few times here, but I forgot the details. Which belts and hoses are the ones to upgrade (to metal?) for extending the life of a vehicle? I'm in a 13 Tacoma if it matters, 2.7L 4 cylinder, RWD, 5 speed manual. Pushing 80000 miles already, flushed oil and brake lines on the advice of /k/ to promote longevity.

>be gentle, c/o/mrades. I dunno dick about cars
>>
>>13841496
change your cambelt (if it has one) according to schedule.
change accessory belt if/when it starts looking worse for wear (unless otherwise stated in your manual)
the hoses are 2 years old, they're fine.
/k/ is retarded.
>>
>>13841626
what you're saying is obery the manufacturer's maintenance schedule and not bother with hoses until/unless they are a problem?
>>
https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/5309989919.html

worth it?

I need a reliable car ASAP because life is throwing me shit that I can't dodge anymore.

3K is my max - picking this up would give me a bit of play money to make necessary repairs
>>
>>13842504
is automatic ever worth it?
>>
>>13842297
pretty much. they're good for at least a decade senpai
>>
>>13842511
I'm not in a position to buy clutches that I burn up unfortunately
>>
>>13842522
clutch plate's good for like 150k and is a cost you might be in a better position to spend later on

if you're poorfagging it now, stick is going to save you a pile of upfront cost
>>
If I superimposed uncensored Japanese doujin onto my car, would that be illegal (USA)?
>>
>>13842504
>>13842522

I bought a 190k mile manual Subaru wagon for $500, fixed for $50 (Radiator, DIY alignment). I've already put more than $500 worth of miles onto it, at this point every mile is pure profit. All of this and I know literally nothing about cars. I only recently started posting here because of how much fun I had getting the car to run for so cheap.

You've got 3 grand, you're basically the upper-class of poverty. Just search craigslist for a week straight, refresh every hour. You'll find an ugly piece of shit that runs like it's brand new for under 2 grand, or a piece of shit that needs a youtube tutorial and a $100 part + $500-1000 car price.
>>
90 geo metro

reliable? would I have issues fitting in the car?

>amerifat
>6 foot 2 inches
>>
I recently replaced a valve cover gasket on my 4 cylinder engine. I tried to be as clean as possible, but I work outdoors and dirt and small dog hairs may have fell in the engine.

Will the small dust particles and dog hair get caught by the oil filter? Or will my engine blow up from a clogged oil galley?
>>
>>13843252
You're good dude, don't sweat it
>>
>>13824662
be careful doing this, do NOT put 12v to the injectors for very long as they will overheat and melt internally due to the fact that injectors are pulse width modulated and typically see very short pulse times with off periods to help them cool. Your better off tapping the pos wire to them and pulsing them while doing this.
>>
File: volvo_rozzers.jpg (184KB, 640x334px) Image search: [Google]
volvo_rozzers.jpg
184KB, 640x334px
>>13842957
This. picked up a '96 volvo 850 turbo wagon for $200 and after about $300 worth of repairs and $200 to register/insure it i still got a 20 yr old luxury car that's only slightly a shitbox and is bretty fun for less than a grand.

>Lurk craigslist hard and if possible get a woman to call for you
>>
>>13843236
>LIKE A GLOVE
very reliable and my uncle who is 300 lbs and about 6'4" had one and could drive it somewhat comfortably. He also like the his VW Rabbit immensely.
>>
>>13843304
right on, thanks man
>>
>>13840538
>How do I know I'll be jewed out?
You know they'll try and scam you the second you enter a rental car office. Check every single inch of your rental car before you sign anything, don't crash it, and bring it back with not only the tank completely fucking full, but also a race fuel tank installed and filled, so they can't pull that ''you didn't bring it back full'' BS on you. Also, make sure you know exactly what's insured, and by whom(rental company or your own insurance).

>>13840872
Possible? Sure. Just not efficient. You'd have to make a 90 degree turn (those are weakpoint in your drivetrain) directly after the engine, or after the transmission. The added weakpoint and bad weight distribution transverse usually offers (not to mention the front suspension compromise) really make for a bad layout.

>>13840932
Old british roadsters, Cayman or FD RX-7 come to mind. Everything else usually has a different stereotype to them.

>>13841020
Nothing distinguishable.

>>13841072
Seller has to prove it's been smogged, by actually having it smogged, and that's only valid for three months (so, if it stays unsold for 3 months, he has to smog it again). Once you buy it, normal schedule resumes, meaning it only needs smogging every two years if I'm correct.

Yes, it could very well be that if the car you buy doesn't have proof of passing smog, that it will fail on the next inspection, meaning you will have to deal with all that bullshit that comes with fixing it/selling it afterwards. Be careful, and cavalierguy sounds like he's trying to trick you into his won't-pass-smog POS.

>>13842916
That would be a ''Public display of explicit sexual material'' in legal terms. It's only illegal in some states, so you might get lucky.

>>13843236
>reliable
Yes
>would I have issues fitting in the car (6'2'')?
No
>amerifat
Maybe

>>13843252
Don't worry about it.
>>
>>13840896
>if you are on a hill and choose the wrong gear this can jump start your car

Yeah...no
>>
I am thinking about leasing a new Chevy Colorado lt,
but im not to sure about it though. I want a 4 wheel drive
truck are there any other options you guys can
think about?
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 600x338px
Are master cylinders worth it to fix? I don't really care about the nitrous or other shit but I've really been trying to find a SVTF

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5274772323.html
>>
>>13843318
>Yes, it could very well

i don't get it then. how can cavalier guy even sell the car if the rule is he needs to get it smogged before he call sell it to me?
>>
>>13844071
Well, you would want to fix that master cylinder if you have plans of moving the car under its own power
>>
>>13844071
He seems like a ricer who doesn't know what he's doing - anaking the nitrous and exhaust install questionable to say the least. Also, he actually thinks the exhaust and nitrous kit will improve value(they won't). Be prepare for a boatload of stupid.
I'm seeing '04 SVT's go online for about 4.5 - 5K asking price. This seems a ''fair'' price, a running '04 with 130K should be 4 to 4.5 if well maintained. Prices for master cilinder replacement vary between 200 and 400 dollarydoos (the ones I can find online), so 3.5K seems fair. However, the car just isn't running, and he'll probably have a hard time selling it. I'd offer him 2900, wait and see how cheap I could get it.

>>13844513
It'd be against the law, but he can try. If he succeeds,that means you're stuck with a car you can't use.

>>13843885
Gimme:
>budget
>location
>how fast do you need a new vehicle
>what purpose
>how many seats
The whole shebang.
>>
>>13844531
Of course.

>>13844537
I'm hoping to find an '02, I was hoping to pay 3k for one, but I can't find any in my area, only 1 that has 212k on the clock. I was debating about get a ZX3,but I don't feel like it would be worth it
>>
File: IMAG0608_1.jpg (4MB, 2304x4096px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0608_1.jpg
4MB, 2304x4096px
I have a mk4 gti 2 door. This thing looks like a speaker, but isn't. What is it. An option I didn't get? Also I have two ashtrays and no cup holders, but there is obviously a place for a cup holder, but it isn't there. Can I just install the factory bits with simple tools or am I fucked?
>>
>>13845311
That thing in the pic may hide a tweeter, but you are right, it could just be a grille for a speaker your car doesn't have.
My old Fiesta had tweeter housing and grilles without tweeters in them.

Usually you can install factory options pretty easily, just make sure your car is already configured to accept them (does the cupholder requires fasteners? Is there a place to fasten those fasteners? Does it just go in with plastic clips? Are there holes in your dashboard to accept said plastic clips?) and go for it.
A dealer might help you by showing you the exploded view of the surroundings of your cupholder (or whatever other option you want to fit), so you can see what stuff is missing on your car and what to buy.

Tl;Dr: just do a little research before you buy just the cupholder
>>
File: Datsun1.jpg (88KB, 950x512px) Image search: [Google]
Datsun1.jpg
88KB, 950x512px
>>13824341
I found the answer for your question
>>
Bugeye Impreza here (though it shouldn't matter)

Few days back brakes start making an odd twanging noise when coming to a full stop from lower speeds, think a doorstop being flicked. Brake peddle also felt like it was slipping a bit.

Today abs light comes on. Noise no longer happens.

I'm thinking either:
Air bubble in the lines.
Abs pump died.
Abs sensor is fouled or broken.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it means anything I have done an 05 wrx brake swap on the vehicle with a rear drum to disk conversion in the process.
>>
>>13845620
Nope.

I'm getting worried that she has no taste. Just gotta keep showing her cars to find out.
>>
>>13845622
Well I've changed my mind of what I think the problem is. Now I'm leaning towards a bad sensor. Problem is I can't get it diagnosed till next week so I just pulled the fuse in the meantime.
>>
>>13845622
>>13846027
The ABS light usually means the whole ABS (and all related systems like the ESP) is not working at all.
While a sensor may be the unlikely cause of your noise, in which case I suggest you take a look behind your wheel hub carriers to see if there is anything dangling out of place, I still think that the problem might be related to the ABS pump/valve body.
If there was a sensor grinding somewhere, it wouldn't stop making noise once the light comes on, unless it has been completely ripped off.

Take your wheels off and check your sensors, if nothing looks strange, i'm afraid you are in for an expensive fix
>>
anyone here able to run vins or link me to somewhere I can check
>>
What's the best sealant to use on a gasket for a turbo drain line where it attaches to a turbo? I'm replacing my line because it's nasty and leaks.
>>
>>13846154
JB Weld.
>>
>>13846154
Was there a gasket in the first place or it is just the usual benjo bolt + washers combo? Just Clean that shit and change the washers
>>
>>13846164
lel
What's worse is that I considered it out of irrational anger.

>>13846174
Banjos for the water lines. For the oil drain it's a flanged line secured by two bolts to the bottom of the turbo with an apparently insufficient gasket.
Garrett GT2560R for reference.
>>
>>13846189
Unless the gasket is new and properly fitted, just change the gasket and be done with it, i don't like adding liquids and pastes where there is supposed to be only a rubber/paper/metal gasket and there is no obvious surface damage that make the stock gasket inefficient .
>>
>>13846203
Even when it was new, it seeped. It has gotten worse over the past three years and is now a legitimate problem. I think the line where it meets the flange may have developed a pinhole leak as well.

I'll certainly do some more research before I get the parts in. Really, though, I want to make sure this damned thing doesn't leak again!
>>
I replaced my civic's front (double wishbone with struts and springs) and rear suspension about a month ago.

Shortly afterwards, I had to go up a bump of a few inches to get back onto a back road, and noticed a popping sound.

Ever since, my car will make a popping sound whenever the front left suspension is compressed (either going over a bump, or when taking a fast, hard right turn).

I replaced my driver's side CV axle because it was worn, replaced the steering knuckle and bottom ball joint (it got stuck in the lower control arm when I replaced the CV axle) and retightened all suspension parts with load, and it's still there. Any ideas?
>>
Driving my Miata at night with dozens of deer hanging out on the side of the road daring each other to run into the road and receive 72 virgin does is starting to make me really nervous on my way home from work.

Should I add fog lights or driving lights?

Maybe those stupid deer whistle things that probably don't even work?
>>
>>13824559
such an old post but i can't believe no one said it was a good car.
old roccos are a very good car, what the fuck
>>
File: 1417250207874.jpg (51KB, 510x395px) Image search: [Google]
1417250207874.jpg
51KB, 510x395px
Had my power steering shit on me in a parking lot. Was turning the steering wheel, and almost instantly the wheel jutted from my hands. The wheel still turns, but is insanely stiff.

I checked power steering fluid, and the thing was practically dry. Emptied it with a turkey baster, and there was only about 1/4th of a cup in there. I added more fluid, started the car, and spent 3-4 minutes turning the wheel. Still stiff as all hell. What should I do now?
>>
>>13846716
>deer vs miata
Buy a cheap truck or a volvo
>>
File: Trapped_air_in_fuel_hose[1].jpg (342KB, 2090x1071px) Image search: [Google]
Trapped_air_in_fuel_hose[1].jpg
342KB, 2090x1071px
>>13846879

It'll need to be bled
>>
>>13846135
I don't think the that noise is something grinding, rather just ABS misbehaving at a low speed stop. It is definitely kicking in, and after a few stops the light comes on and abs stops trying to do its thing. I'm really just crossing my fingers its not the pump; however, I don't mind driving without ABS while I save up for the fix.
>>
>>13846655
Sway bar tie rod?
>>
>>13824893
lel
>>
>>13824775
something i can take to autox and not get embarrassed in
>>
>>13847071
>something i can take to autox and not get embarrassed in
So a Miata?
>>
>>13846879
I actually doubt that >>13846942 is right on this. While techically possible, power steering systems usually pump enough fluid to force any and all air bubbles out. I've never encountered a system that needed any special bleeding to get the air out. Typically the refill procedure is as follows
>fill reservoir
>turn steering wheel 1/4 turn
>refill reservoir
>turn steering wheel another 1/4 turn
>repeat until you have cranked the wheel all the way from side to side and the fluid level stops dropping

It's more likely that the pump is toast from running on low fluid and cavitating for god knows how long. Power steering pumps do NOT like being run dry, even for a moment.

I assume the power steering pump is/was whining pretty loud? Was there been any change in the noise level when the power steering assist stopped? When you refilled it?
>>
>>13847131
there's no downside in bleeding, so it's still the first thing that should be done.
>>
>>13844071
If the ad is accurate, yes it's worth replacing a master cylinder.

However, never trust advertisements for cars that you cannot test drive. Without working brakes, you cannot drive that car.

Rule of thumb: If you can't drive it home, you shouldn't buy it.

You're gonna get the brakes fixed and discover 20 things wrong with the suspension and powertrain on your first drive.
>>
>>13846942
Bleeding it did nothing

>>13847131
There was a bit of whine before it went out, however even after being refilled and after it went out there is no sound.
>>
>>13847208
Alright, assuming the pump is toast, should I try and attempt the replacement myself, or take it in?
>>
How the shit do you unseize a bike engine?

I did the PB blaster and rock it in gear trick, motherfucker is stuck

I took it apart and dumped marvel mystery oil in there for a few days
motherfucker is stuck

I cleaned all the shit off the top of the piston (it had sat for a while outside) and hammered it with a big fucking hammer until the wood block I was using splintered

MOTHERFUCKER
IS
STUCK

Is there another trick to use? I know about the heating with a torch trick but I'd have to drag it outside again.
>>
>>13847306

Single cylinder?
If you just want it taken apart and you're willing to sacrifice the cylinder then you can attempt drilling a hole or two down through the top of the piston, at the edges of it. This WILL most likely ruin your cylinder, you will need a new piston and rings, you will have to take apart the crankcase and properly clean it of metal shavings
>>
what should i get my associates in if i want to be a tuner?
>>
>>13847306

Probably your piston got rust welded to the cylinder.

Your pretty much fucked. I've seen people have success with DOT oil... However that shit is pretty much corrosive on disguise. So after pouring it in, I'd spend a few gallons of oil just to flush the engine and be sure.

I would also try with some of those oil similar to, BUT NOT, WD40. Usually sold in electronic shops and whatnot that are useful to remove rust.

Blast a good amount into the engine and let it sit. That shit tends to breakdown rust and it could eventually free it enough so you could unseize it.

It's pretty easy to fall if you can't skid decently, but have you tried going on a slope, neutral and then putting it into gear?
>>
>>13847330

Yep, it's a single. Piston is fucked anyways so I don't give two shits about it.

Fucking thing had to seize almost at BDC too.

Kinda reluctant to drill because I don't wanna ruin the sleeve, I'm expecting to get it bored over anyways but one slip and I need a new jug/sleeve. I'm assuming drilling is so you can break the edges off with a chisel or something?
>>
File: '03 Ford Focus SVT.jpg (50KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
'03 Ford Focus SVT.jpg
50KB, 600x450px
>>13847171
Sounds like a fair assessment.
I did some more searching and found this http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5296375826.html
has a vacuum leak and a couple other minor things. Not sure how bad that is however. The price is where i want, and the mileage isn't overly excessive.
>>
Realistically, will it make a difference if i put ducting from my front bumper to my oil cooler thats located behind the bumper?
>>
Is it safe to use 10% ethanol fuel in my chebby s10?
>1998
>V6
>X vin

Any long term effects?
Ever since i filled up with it my throttle has become more sensitive, I read somewhere that the computer tries to lean out the mixture because the richer octane content
>>
So I pierced what I thought was a wire to test for voltage under the dash on the passengers side of my buddy's crown vic but it turned out to be a really thin, low pressure air hose.
Sealed it back up, but I'm curious to know what the fuck it was if anyone knows?
>>
How long is a long time for a vehicle to be on a used car lot? There's this truck I want that's been sitting for at least 3 months now, I'm curious if I could use this as haggling fuel.
>>
>>13847306
heat >>> everything
>>
>>13847618
Vacuum hose for the HVAC most likely.
>>
>>13847781
would that be as thin as a wire?
>>
>>13847753
depends on the dealer. some are happy with low turnover as they make their money through repairs etc. most would want that gone asap.
offer half and leave your contact details
>>
File: crownvic_vacuum3.jpg (203KB, 2156x2176px) Image search: [Google]
crownvic_vacuum3.jpg
203KB, 2156x2176px
>>13847781
>>13847785
Nvm, you're right. That's exactly what it was.
pic related.
>>
File: IMG_20151111_212610281.jpg (537KB, 1014x971px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151111_212610281.jpg
537KB, 1014x971px
So ive gotta get the electronic brake control module off a 400 dollar astro van. Supposedly i can re solder the board and make my abs and red brake lights on the dash go out because gm A SHIT.

That black box needs to come off the brake thing all the hoses go to.

Dentists mirrors reveal this screw is stripped. Was T20 torx. My current plan is to obtain needle nose vice grips tomorrow and try and break it loose with those position where the outlined dremel is. If i cant do that ill try amd grind the head of the bolt off using a stone, at least the computer part isnt threaded i dont think. If not i guess i make an access panel by removing the driver seat and make amn access with a grinder? Thats fuckin hack but i dont kniw what to do.

What would you do?
>vans man
>>
>>13847789
Thanks for the info, that's roughly the plan.
>>
Should I buy another RX-7/8, /o/?
I had an RX8 6 years ago and it blew up, but I'm a glutton for punishment and I want to try again now that I've had a few years experience wrenching.

I want to buy an 05 rx8 or an ~88 rx7 and fix up the interior and paint and engine and all that jazz.
I know it's only going to shit its seals out the exhaust again.

Should I buy a 180sx or an r32 instead? Ausfag here, so they aren't a billion dollars.
>>
>>13847857
>I had an RX8 6 years ago and it blew up

what did you neglect?
>>
File: mazda.jpg (301KB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
mazda.jpg
301KB, 1600x1063px
Auto newfag here, have had my MPS 6 for a little while now and am ready to start upgrading her.

thoughts on this as a start?

ECUTEK ECU Retune
High Flow Cold Air Intake
3 inch High Flow Stainless Exhaust System
>>
>>13847915
No idea. Had it serviced every 10k, topped up the oil every 2k. Didn't race the engine when it was cold, didn't not race it when it was hot. Engine had 160km's on it when the seal popped.

One day I took off from the lights and it just crapped out. Previous owner was an old lady, but it had a regular service history.
>>
>>13847857
save yourself time and money and get an s-chassis
>>
>>13847934
did you premix?

also if the previous driver was an old lady, it most likely had a bunch of carbon on the inside of the router housing, that can fuck up seals pretty bad if you let it go long enough.
>>
>>13847946
Yeah that why I mentioned it. Just luck of the draw, I guess. It was also the shitty 4port auto, and I know that had some issues with the fuel pump and carbon buildup.
My mechanic buddy helped me replace the seals and get the engine back in and I just sold it off because I needed a reliable car.

I never premixed, there was too much conflicting advice about whether it was suitable for a nonported 4-port auto engine, so I didn't bother.

I reckon it's pretty safe to say that carbon buildup contributed to the major failure.

>>13847936
Any particular reason?
>>
>>13847973
I'm pretty sure premixing is always good, as the OMP system just plain doesn't get enough oil to lubricate the seals entirely, but I've also heard it's best to get one of those OMP blocking plates as well.
>>
>>13847607
Ethanol won't harm the engine, but it will reduce your fuel economy.
>>
>>13847857
Get an FD if you're going the rotary route.
>>
>>13848097
Thanks skro, yeah I read that would happen and have noticed a drop in it.
>>
>>13848128
Ethanol has less energy than gasoline, so it's to be expected.
>>
>>13848103
They look ugly as fuck!

I'm aiming for something a little bit better looking...
>>
>>13847973
huge aftermarket range of mods, mostly reliable if you dont beat on it. they also handle like gokarts when they have a decent suspension setup
>>
File: Mazda-RX7-FD.jpg (213KB, 2240x1168px) Image search: [Google]
Mazda-RX7-FD.jpg
213KB, 2240x1168px
>>13848158
that's an FC, this is an FD
>>
>>13848232
he was saying the FD was ugly as fuck senpai
>>
>>13848246
>>13848158
objectively bad taste
>>
>>13848158
>>13848246
the FD is one of the best looking cars ever made
it's almost art
>>
File: 680.jpg (33KB, 528x292px) Image search: [Google]
680.jpg
33KB, 528x292px
the FD looks like a melted FC
>>
>>13848135
I read they up the octane content to make up for it, honestly my truck has been responding way better ever since I put it in. Its one of the few stations that have it in the area, apparently high quality according to some people I know.

Also, would I know fuel additives are Bologna but is shell V-power any different than techron? My coworker only goes to shell because of muh cleanness
>>
File: fc3s.png (769KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
fc3s.png
769KB, 900x675px
>>13848158
The FD is pure sex, but the FC is pretty fucking sexy too
>>
>>13848275
Octane means nothing for how a car performs. It's just there to prevent knock in high compression or FI engines.

If your car isn't knocking with 87 octane gas, there's absolutely no reason to use a higher octane blend.

All gas is the same shit. The gas you get from Shell is no different from the gas you get from Citgo or Valero, with the possible exception of a few insignificant detergents, but they don't actually matter and all do the same thing.
>>
File: 1438681110082.jpg (8KB, 104x176px) Image search: [Google]
1438681110082.jpg
8KB, 104x176px
>>13848298
>Octane means nothing for how a car performs.
>>
>>13848302
It's an anti-knock agent. If you're not experiencing knock at 87 octane, your car won't perform any better at 91 or 93. Period.
>>
>>13848310
except there are multiple variables that affect at what point an engine will knock

if you have a modern boost controller or direct injection, you can run more boost or inject the fuel sooner without the risk of knock

surely it wont help on a stock n/a engine, but to say the higher octane of ethanol isnt a bonus is wrong m8
>>
>>13848310
some cars have timing maps for higher than the base required octane though
>>
>>13848329
We're talking about /o/ here, where everyone drives a car that's 10-30 years old and was bought for $3000 or less.
>>
>>13848340
don't claim something that isn't absolute to be absolute on 4chan unless you want an autist like me to correct you
>>
What are the practical differences between flat, v, and inline 6 cylinder engines? Why do some manufacturers heavily favor one over the other?
>>
>>13848366
Packaging, and engine balancing.
>>
>>13848366
packaging, cost, tradition
>>
File: arkan (3).jpg (332KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
arkan (3).jpg
332KB, 1366x768px
/o/ I just got a ticket for expired registration.
I'd already been stopped once for it, but seeing as I work a full time job and go to school for 5 hours 5 days a week I wasn't in a hurry to give the government my money for a sticker.
Would showing up to court actually work?
Also it's my first ticket
>>
>>13848376
Generally with shit like that if you fix the problem before the court date they'll dismiss it.
>>
File: IMG_20151111_141609.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151111_141609.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
Can anybody tell me what the the fuck kind of car this is? Im pretty good at identifying cars, and when I cant, usually I can find the company and go from there but I've never seen anything like this before. I pass by it every morning, too.
>>
Do flatbed tow trucks need a CDL in California even if you're not doing it for hire?
>>
new thread
>>13848414
>>
File: 1440210728799.jpg (42KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
1440210728799.jpg
42KB, 472x472px
I bent a u bolt on my truck, do I need to replace the whole thing? Gonna shave them down for some more clearance.
>>
Question
Alright so I have this 10" MTX Thunder 4500 Subwoofer. I wanna install it but I have no fucking clue how this shit works. What kind of amp do I need? What other shit do I need to hook this up?
>>
2007 Impala SS. Indiana winter is coming up, and last year I managed to spin off the icy roads twice. It's got what appear to be 16" sport tires from the factory. I know they aren't aftermarket at least, it was my grandfather's before me and he was old as fuck in 07.

Assuming wear&tear isn't the problem, will I be better off with tires that aren't as "sporty"? Was I just driving too fast?
>>
>>13848822
Is the part with the thread bent? Can you still tighten the nuts like usual? Is it so much bent that it can't do its job properly anymore even if you are still able to tighten it in place?
Is a U bolt really that expensive that you need to consider the idea of not replacing the bent one?
>>
File: ford-f-150-raptor-670x381.jpg (157KB, 670x381px) Image search: [Google]
ford-f-150-raptor-670x381.jpg
157KB, 670x381px
Alright, so I have had my first 4x4 truck for the last year.

However, whenever I put it 4H, it fucking makes a BAM sound and lurches when switching between the front and rear differentials, such as when I'm going up a hill.
It doesn't do this in 4L though.

Is this normal? If not, what is the problem?
>>
I remember using a site that would let you search for articles on american junkyards at a national level. I can't remember the name or url, only that it was grey. Does anyone know what site I'm talking about?

Even more important: is there a similar thing in Europe? A searcher for european junkyards that will ship internationally within euro countries.
>>
>>13849867
Are you not putting it into neutral at a stop when switching into 4h?
>>
>>13828794
Just get a new harness.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.