[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/ I might be getting my first car tmmrw. (Pic Related)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

File: Porsche 924s.jpg (22KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
Porsche 924s.jpg
22KB, 337x450px
Hey /o/ I might be getting my first car tmmrw. (Pic Related) It has around 100k miles for 5k...
of course it is manual, I have already looked at the car in person, and everything checks out...(New water pump, timing belt and suspension...) The seller is a mechanic and seems very reliable... What do you think about the Porsche 924s?
Since there is not a lot about the Porsche 924s on the internet. can you tell me anything I need to know about the car before I buy it? The selling point of the car for me is, the cheaper parts since it is supposed to be audi/VW's entry level car, and that it looks fucking sexy
>>
File: Engine.jpg (26KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
Engine.jpg
26KB, 337x450px
Here is the Engine...
Very good condition.... Is this a steal?
>>
>>13821420
>the selling point of the car for me is, the cheaper parts since it is supposed to be audi/VW's entry level car,
You are wrong as fuck
Throw in the world RELATIVELY when describing these parts, because they are not cheap
>>
>>13821434
but if I keep it in the condition it is in, there shouldn't be alot of buying these expensive parts... Right?
>>
>>13821420
> 924/944s considered the "Poor Mans' Porsche"

>>13821434
This. Prepare to pay out the ass in parts, and if you can't fix it yourself, don't even bother. Also, cheaper parts then what exactly?
>>
>>13821444
Parts break. The level at which you take care of a car depends on how you treat it, and how you handle things when they break. Its in your best interest to fix shit asap, and preventative maintenance is just important. All these things are costly, amd just because its an entry level porschethats cheap to buy doesnt mean its cheap to run.
A bmw m6 can be bought for 25k, but you can almost guarantee that youll spend the value of the car on maintenance over the next year or so. Just buy something cheap for your first car. A 924 will milk you dry.
>>
File: 1444346802760.jpg (76KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1444346802760.jpg
76KB, 640x640px
hmm
>>
File: dogeanza.jpg (43KB, 469x469px) Image search: [Google]
dogeanza.jpg
43KB, 469x469px
>>13821420

>Buying a Porsche with 100k miles

>>13821444

You don't know how hard it was driven.
>>
>>13821472
>Thinking I car if I own a Poor Mans' Porsche
I'm 18, and the car is unbelievably fun to drive.
>>13821477
My pop is pretty knowledgeable about cars, and I would be taking the best care of it....
>>13821499
Taking it in to AAA to just get it double checked before I buy it... Im not blindly buying a car like half of /o/ does
>>
>>13821477
and I have the money for it. forgot to add that
>>
>>13821506
>>13821511

If you can afford it, by all means go for it, but almost everyone who buys a 924 as their first car ends up with it sitting in their yard not running, with their bank account empty.
Plenty of such people have posted here. Just know what you're walking into.
>>
>>13821518
Thank you, i really do love the feedback, I understand the risk... thats why I will be 100% sure this car will last me... I have done my research.. I have read that the really up kept 924/944s can last for 300k+
>>
>>13821506

You may not care, but your wallet will. They're called PMPs because while they can be bought for cheap, they're unfathomable money pits in the long run.

As with German cars in general, unless you have the mechanical prowess or good income to fix them, you're going to bleed yourself dry, and even then parts alone are no laughing matter.
>>
>>13821539

They can, but you really cant bet on it.
Its something you can be hopeful for. You should absolutely expect this thing to bleed you dry, to the point where you could have just bought a flat out better car and maintained that instead
also
>>13821543
>>
>>13821543
PMP?
>>
>>13821420

Do you know anything about working on cars at all? The 924 is a nice model despite getting lots of hate from purists, however it does require alot of care and its not cheap to fix up.

I wouldnt recommend it as a first car, or in general unless you have unlimited money or know how to fix things yourself, and even if you can diy the parts wont be necessarily cheap.

Otherwise as far as Porsches go its more of a road cruiser then a drag car, is a nice ride stock and can go pretty quick. If you take care of it things will be ok but if you dont know what you are doing it will eat you alive.

Get a cheap reliable shitbox and some wrenching experience, then in a couple years go for something like this. Just my recommendation as someone who owns one and knows. There will be plenty out there still then, they arent as sought after due to having a bad reputation for maintenance and being shunned by 'purists'.
>>
>>13821420
My second car was a 924, and it was an absolute nightmare fucking thing broke down a few times a month. Also, 100k miles for a car that old? Odometer has definitely been tampered with.
>>
>>13821576
>porsche
>drag car

Wtf man
>>
>>13821567
Poor Mans' Porsche.
>>
>>13821576
Yes have been doing alot of research on cars, especially this one, and my pop is pretty handy. when it comes to cars... I really want to learn more, and thought this could be a car that could get me into it.... (and im not going to drag with it at all...) can you tell me about taking cars into Triple AAA or some type of insurance to get a vehicle inspection? will I get to know a lot about this car and how it will hold up?? I just think this porsche for sale, is a steal for the condition it is... Would you like to see any more photos?

>>13821580
>tampered with... lol no try again.. Ive triple checked the VIN and will be taking it in
>>
>>13821580
>Also, 100k miles for a car that old? Odometer has definitely been tampered with.
lol what dude
>>
>>13821420
>>13821444

>>924
>>First Car

Jesus Christ, an LS1 will probably be 500 dollars cheaper than getting a new clutch put in.

Do yourself a favor and get a Mustang; females and br/o/s won't think any different of what you are driving.
>>
>>13821606
Will your pops be around to fix it, or even more so, willing to fix it?

Also,
> VIN readings are indicative of what's been done to the car
Pic related

For real though, I don't see what's so desirable about a Porsche that's a total money pit, shunned by the community, and has nothing in terms of power. Frankly, I'd suggest getting an S130/280ZX instead; much less of a money pit, mechanical stuff is rather "easy," and the inline-six puts out more power.
>>
>>13821662
>>13821698

>LS1 swap I meant to say.

But plus two on an S130. Simple cars and the L28e is boost ready for whenever you want it.
>>
>>13821698
>Money Pit
not understanding that I have checked the car myself, with my pop. and will be taking it in AAA... I will NOT be buying this car if everything doesnt check out... Trust me on this /o/ Iam not blindly buying this car because it is a Porsche.
>>
>>13821506
>Im not blindly buying a car like half of /o/ does
confirmed for know-nothing.
you're an idiot OP. you didn't come here for advice, you came here for validation. fuck off.
>>
>>13821752
I can give you countless times that people on /o/ first do not have a car, and start to lurk on threads and see what cars /o/ approve of, and then go out buying a car to look cool over the internet, no matter the condition..
>>
>>13821780
>I can give you countless examples
>but I won't
>>
File: 1384054238682.jpg (1MB, 2500x1875px) Image search: [Google]
1384054238682.jpg
1MB, 2500x1875px
944 owner here. Wait until you are in your 20s, have a solid job, and can support a classic car. Otherwise it's going to end up in your parents back yard covered in weeds and spiders.
>>
Looks like the car is the S model that has the same engine as the 944. WAY FUCKING betting than the 924 AUDI TRUCK ENGINE SHITBOX. So you have that going for you.

For 5k the car better be REALLY CLEAN. AND YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THE MAINTENANCE HAS BEN DONE. THATS THE TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP. Don't trust the guy if he says he's done it, if the belt breaks the engine is KA-PUT. and if the belt hasn't been done in the last 5 years, DO IT AGAIN. Or the belt will break, engine KA-PUT.

The ONLY reason people dont like 944's is because they have to have the timing belt done. Most people are too fucking stupid to do the belt and the belt breaks then they complain about how expensive it is to fix.

GOOD NEWS IS:
Timing belt is fucking easy to do yourself. SO DO IT.
ALSO, your car is WAY fucking cooler than a miata.

And no, 5k is not a steal, in the current market.
you could get a decent 944 just looks WAY FUCKING COOLER for 5k.
BUT the car could potentially be worth something in the future....

and these cars had a four digit odometer, so if it has 100k its either been rolled over once or twice.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>13822075
I'll post some photos.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>13822166
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>13822180
Interior is a little dirty but can be fixed up nice
>>
>>13821420
Hhahahhahahhaahbbbbbbbbbhhhahahaahhhahhhaahhahahhhahahahhahahahah
>>
ITT:

>OP: IS THIS CAR GUD! I"M GUNNA BUY IT!
>Everyone else: Yeah, no. This car isn't good. You're gonna be wasting your money and end up with a huge headache.
>OP: I DID MY RESEARCH! THIS CAR IS GUD. I DON'T BLINDLY BUY CARS LIKE /o/ I'M SPESHUL! MY DADDY CAN FIX THINGS FOR ME!
>Everyone else: Okay, it's your life, do whatever you want.
>OP: PROVIDE ME VALIDASHUN! SUM1 TELL ME IT'S GUD.

Buy a econo shitbox like every 18 year old should and learn to love having a POS. You're wanting to buy this car purly for name recognition so you can go "Yeah, I'm only 18 and I drive a PORSHA"
>>
>>13823821
Also, typically. Buying cars from mechanics is a bit iffy at best. They spend all day wrenching on cars as part of their job. One of the last things they want to do on their day off is wrench some more on cars. So usually maintenance and shit gets put off and broken stuff is disregarded until it requires attention.

All that stuff he replaced is probably because something went wrong with the car. The timing belt drives the water pump, so if he replaced both it is most likely because the water pump seized and either tore up the belt or snapped it. If the belt snapped then there could be damage to the engine, even if it doesn't seem like it now. Older cars have a way of having gremlins about them that will continue to haunt you til you junk the car.

I can almost guarantee you this guy is shipping this car off to some unsuspecting loser because he foresees costly repairs in the future.
>>
>>13821426
>that fucking engine bay

It's like it was forcibly shoved neck and neck
>>
File: 2015-03-23 18.36.56.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2015-03-23 18.36.56.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>13823881
It's tight but it really isn't that bad.
>>
>>13823821
Let him buy it.

> Won't have a place to call his own because the 924 drains all his income
> Will end up living with mummy and daddy until he's 20 and realizes the great mistake he made
> Won't learn how to wrench because systematic failures will become overwhelming
> Car will end up rusting away in the driveway
> Can't go anywhere by himself because he chose an unreliable snail as his first and only car

But it'll be a cool first car though; it's a Porsche after all!
>>
>>13823851
you have NO fucking CLUE what your talking about. If the timing belt broke this car wouldn't run.
Timing belt and water pump are WEAR ITEMS you replace them at the same time unless you are a CHEAP STUPID BITCH
>>
I highly recommend buying it. Don't worry its a good car and reliable no problemo what so ever the car is jesus on wheels its a fucking genius car to buy.
>>
Get ready to spend your life savings on axles.
>>
>>13823969
>what was your first car anon?
>a 924 Porsche that ruined my life.
>>
File: o(1).jpg (162KB, 1235x486px) Image search: [Google]
o(1).jpg
162KB, 1235x486px
>>13823821
we here at /o/ have seen this happen countless times.
we unfortunately never see them post about it later after they bought it. my guess is, /o/ was right and they're too embarrassed to tell us about it.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.