[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just moved to Germany from the states and bought myself a 95

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: volkswagen-golf-mk3.jpg (191KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
volkswagen-golf-mk3.jpg
191KB, 1920x1080px
I just moved to Germany from the states and bought myself a 95 VW Golf Rolling Stones edition. The price was right and it's not a bad car, but it isn't without it's problems.

When I take off from a stop, I'm forced to ride the clutch until it gets going -painfully slow I might add- and when I release the clutch fully the power drops to the point where I'll stall out if I don't hit the clutch again and rev the engine to keep it alive. I'm very worried every time I need to take it out because I'm afraid I'll stall out in an intersection or worse. Even if I don't stall, it's embarrassing having a line of cars behind me waiting for her to get up speed at stoplights etc.

This is my first car ever and even though I'm a mechanic, I don't work on cars so I'm pretty clueless as to what I can do. Not a lot of money to take it to the shop so I need to find a cost effective solution and fast. I'll only be in Germany for 2 years so I won't be able to bring it back to the states so I don't need anything fancy as I'll just be reselling it in the future anyway, but I'd like to sport it up a bit so I can make a little money off of it too.

Any suggestions of what the problem might be and what I can do? The stick is very loose and you kind of have to slam it into first sometimes to get it in gear. I don't know if that's related or not but it might help.
>>
>buying a vw
>>
>>13819132
>le ebin "vw a shit" maymay

he said he moved to germany.
>>
better ask on a german Golf forum
>>
>>13819153
there's a lot of better cars eg BMW, Audi, Mercedes
>>
>>13819168
Point me to the Mercedes that I can buy for $600 and I'll give a shit.
>>
>>13819180
190e
>>
>>13819180
Mercedes 190E
>>
Sup op. the good news is that your 2 liter engine is nearly unkillable. I have a 94 and autocross it, drive it on the touge, and daily drive it.

>forced to ride the clutch until it gets going
sounds like your clutch is going out, and is extremely low on friction material.

>tries to die if i dont let the clutch back out and rev it up
sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. check the intake boot, pcv valve and elbow, and any vacuum lines (brake booster, lines from the airbox, etc)

>shifter feels worn out as fuck
shifter linkage bushings. easy to get to and replace, parts are extremely cheap. get it done

>sometimes have to slam it into first
is this your first volkswagen? if so, they select first a little funny. There is a trick

clutch in
select the 2nd gear gate
quickly move up to 1st

do this everytime you need first. no idea why it works, but it helps immensely. you'll eventually start doing it instinctively.

Also, try clutching out in neutral at a complete stop, then going through the usual processs, if it is still is being stubborn.

if youre so inclined, jack up the car sometime and check the front wheels for play. wheel bearing, rear control arm bushing, and ball joint failures are the most common causes of play.

Since you say youre tight on cash, this will probably realistically be all of what you can afford to do to the car; but it is a vw 8v, and the aftermarket is huge if you decide to go that way. in terms of engine performance, get a camshaft (techtonics 276 is kinda the golden standard in streetable performance). a chip, header, and exhaust.

In terms of handling, don't go lower than 1.25 inches drop. on stock balljoints, the camber curve actually goes positive under load past 1.25 inches of drop, which makes the car handle like ass under load. I have H&R OE sport springs and tokico blue struts, and think the car handles excellently.
>>
>>13819120
Have you ever driven manual?
>>
>>13819120
>my first car ever, even though im a mechanic
what
also you probably need a new clutch
>>
>>13819209
>>13819208
This is me giving a shit. But alas I cannot undo what I done did.
>>
>>13819226
That is probably true, but try a clutch cable first, OP.

The stock cable is an "auto adjust" cable, meaning you never have to adjust the cable as the clutch wears, but its a weird little bitch, and can cause problems.

My cousin bought a 96 golf, and we ended up thinking the clutch was shot. Took off the transmission, and it had a fresh (albeit chinese and cheap as fuck" clutch kit in it. we put in all brand new OEM parts, put it back together, and the clutch is still slipping and acting like shit. replaced the auto adjust cable for a manual adjust one, and boom, problem solved. A factory clutch kit costs about $300; a manual adjust clutch cable? about $60. lol. so it may be worth a shot to try a cable first.
>>
>>13819220
Thank you so much! I'll follow your tips and get it all done! Very helpful

>>13819221
This is my first car, and first manual car. I'm learning how to drive stick and how to drive and how to drive in Germany all at the same time. It's been an experience.
>>
>>13819226
I fix helicopters.

>>13819269
I'll add that to the list of parts to check/order. Thanks for your insight!
>>
>>13819288
No problem. I am a bit envious, the shit state of your car aside. Sounds like you're on quite an adventure. You better find a way to make it to the nurburgring 24h sometime; mk3 golf gti's still race in it.
>>
>>13819288
Are you murrican military stationed over there or just a really well traveled heli mechanic
>>
>>13819353
I've heard a lot about it and I'm hoping that she'll be up to the task once I can take care of these issues. She's got a lot of potential and it's a little painful knowing I'll have to resell.
>>
>>13819392
Military. First duty station. Got really lucky in all honesty, even if a lot of the locals hate our guts.
>>
>>13819270
Nigga are you 16?
>>
>>13819208
>>13819209
Most are run down by turks and gypsis
>>
>>13819579
A shame, really. I'm fond of the 190E for some inexplicable reason.
>>
>>13819551
No I'm from a city where I didn't need to have a car and couldn't afford one. I've always wanted one but never had the chance to own one until very recently.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.