[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trading in my benz for an older jag. I'm saving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 39432274014_large.jpg (501KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
39432274014_large.jpg
501KB, 1024x768px
I'm trading in my benz for an older jag. I'm saving myself 5000 a year on payments.

Will I pay more than that a year on maintenance?
>>
File: you dense motherfucker.png (1MB, 680x499px) Image search: [Google]
you dense motherfucker.png
1MB, 680x499px
>>13645422
are you retarded OP? euro cars are crazy expensive to maintain and have low resale value. you just left the frying pan into the fire by what you just did. if you want a good car that is easy to maintain get a honda faggot
>>
You'd save more money buying 31 Miatas, one for each day of the month
>>
File: 20151003_190636.jpg (896KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20151003_190636.jpg
896KB, 2048x1152px
>>13645458
Hold on, don't listen to this fucker.

You're looking to trade it in for an X308 jag, right? 98-2003?

I can't vouch for 2004+, but these cars are VERY reliable. Not quite as reliable in the engine as their predecessors (which I own), but that is easily fixed, and probably HAS been fixed by the owner.

You'll want to make sure the secondary timing chain tensioner has been replaced with metal instead of plastic. It's about a $1000 job if you take it to the shop, much less if you know how to do it. Then, the engine becomes damn near bulletproof.

Another thing to watch out for: any car that has sat since 2001 or prior. It had nikasil lining which was eaten by shitty 90s sulphur-laced fuel. It was fully recalled, so ask if this car's engine was replaced. 2001+ was made without the shitty lining, and 2002-2003 had the metal tensioners I talked about before. Ideally, a 2002-2003 is what you're looking for.

These cars are fucking awesome to drive, OP. I prefer mine only because of its interior and it has a straight six (I'm a bit of a purist). The V8 jaguars get the same MPGs and have even more reliable electrics. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. You'll fall in love with the car. I guarantee it.

Pic is mine, they're so fucking sexy. Let me know if you have any other questions. 99% of the work you could do on the car is DIY friendly. 2004+ looks uglier and has air suspension, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>13645500
By the way, if the car hasn't been used since the 90s and has low KM (I think up to 50,000 is safe), get a compression test done. If it checks out, you're good to go. You can use the nikasil as an excuse to knock down the price a bit, and today's fuel won't destroy the engine because of a change in fuel standards that happened 15 years ago.
>>
>>13645500
Thanks man - yes on timing chain - unknown on nikisil.

Many items replaced and has been serviced by the same dealer for 15 years.

Current problems after inspection:
Needs brake flush
Radiator fluid looks older
Accessory belt looks older
Slight leak power steering pump
Possible slow leak in rear diff

They asking 12 - offer 9??
>>
>>13645510
Compression test good to go / exhaust and emissions good
>>
>>13645525
Whoa, what's the mileage on the fucker? What year?

These cars can be had much cheaper. I'm not saying they're not worth it--I'm saying haggle down, or wait for another car.

Unless: Is the car a "Super V8?" if that's the interior in your OP then it isn't, but I thought I'd ask.

Give me the details before I can help you fully.
>>
>>13645534
Not super v8, vanden plas - also on mobile so pls excuse grammar.

92k on mileage
>>
>>13645544
>>13645534
>>
>>13645555
Passing out -
>>
>>13645544
No worries about the grammar, I'm just here to help you get the right car.

92k in miles, huh? I wouldn't pay more than 6-7, maybe 8 for an '03, since you've mentioned that it needs a few things.

Compression test is a plus, the engine will go for a LONG time. Belts not a problem to replace yourself and will cost $20 each or so, how are the radiator hoses?

You'll have to replace the PS pump, it's at its service point. Not sure when the sensors will need to be replaced for a V8, but the service life for my car is 100k miles for the crank/cam position sensors. They aren't outrageously expensive but will leave you unable to start the car; should have been replaced if it was dealer maintained.

Brake flush is nothing special. I doubt you'll need a complete rad flush, so just change the fluid (make sure it's Jag-spec, these engines are a little more sensitive, so spend a bit more to get the right shit and it will last years)

The diff is expected, it's non-fatal and is just the gasket. I can't quote you on labor for that. Are you planning on wrenching on it yourself?
>>
>>13645563
With that in mind, and all the maintenance, I'd offer 7k. He's overpriced it quite a bit. It could differ depending on where you live, but in Canadabux, they are worth (for a Vanden Plas) about that much for the same year.

Still, if it's the only car in your area and you can grab it for 8-9 and spend ~1.5 on fixing it up, it won't cause you ANY trouble. That's your decision, though. The book value on these cars is higher than its sale value.
>>
>>13645422

Chain guides
Nikasil
>>
>>13645577
Thanks man - appreciate all the input :)
>>
>>13645603
Alright bro, no problem. I love these cars and I bet you will, too. I know you're passing out so good luck and make sure to post here once you've ironed out the kinks and take her for a proper spin. I'll be looking out for your post.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.