[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apart from god awful parts availability in the states, is there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: caprice-ppv-indiana.jpg (76KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
caprice-ppv-indiana.jpg
76KB, 630x420px
Apart from god awful parts availability in the states, is there any reason to not get a late model decommissioned police, V8 Chevy Caprice?
>>
what parts do you refer to?
>>
Lots of parts interchangeability with G8s.
>>
>>13635411
Whichever one breaks and that is unique to that model.
>>
>>13635425
That helps, slightly.
>>
>>13635429
So the rear doors?
Because apart from that they're pretty much the same. Different lights/bumpers, longer rear doors and a longer driveshaft.

All the actual underpinnings, the front doors/mirrors/glass and interior are more or less identical.

The only real reason not to get one is the lack of LS3, although considering you can just intake+exhaust+tune and end up with the same or more power that's not really a huge deal.
Apart from that, you're stuck with the 6L80e which is bulletproof but retarded (unless you thrash the shit out of it in sports mode, at which point it wakes up) and additional weight over the G8/SS.
>>
>>13635396
>Apart from god awful parts availability in the states,
what god-awful parts availability? 90% of the parts on it interchange with with the Pontiac G8, Chevrolet Camaro, or Chevrolet SS

I recall trolling through a forum for decommissioned Caprice PPV's and they found the brake calipers on the front are directly interchangeable with those on the V6 Camaro's

>>13635429
You mean the body parts? Big whoop. Everything that makes it work is EASILY available.
>>
>>13635465
>The only real reason not to get one is the lack of LS3
It has an L77, which is literally an LS2 with LS3 heads and camshaft. It's an LS V8. Get your head out of your ass.
>>
It's the decommissioned police car life, use it and move to the next. The only thing really that specific to the car is the body, which being unibody it's ruined if anything happens to it anyway.
>>
>>13635480
No, it doesn't.
The L77 is an L76 that can run on E85, they use LS2 heads and a cam from one of the truck engines, hence why they don't make any power above 6,000rpm.
An LS2 with LS3 heads an cam would be making a hell of a lot more than fucking 350hp.
>>
>>13635467
Seems like such a steal. It's cheaper than a G8 GT and about half a decade newer. 2011 with 60k for $11,995 near me. Hard to not snatch up.
>>
>>13635562
Yeah they are. I'm waiting till the 2013 and newer ones are for sale because the shifter is in the column not the center console.
>>
>>13635506
>The L77 is an L76 that can run on E85
This is correct
>they use LS2 heads and a cam from one of the truck engines
This is not. The L76/L77 use L92 heads, which are identical to the LS3 heads except for springs and valves they come with.
>>
>>13635638
Wait, seriously?
Why would they bother to put such serious heads on them if they're not planning to use a decent cam. I wasn't kidding about the 6000rpm thing, my L76 would change at 6-6100 unless forced to rev out to the 6.5 redline, but you could feel it had no power up there anyway.
>>
>>13635735
I'm assuming the older style heads don't support the AFM valvetrain stuff. Same for the cam I bet. And yeah, my G8 definitely runs out of breath at higher RPM.
>>
>>13635396
Is that just a commodore?
>>
>>13638780
It's based on the Statesman/Caprice.
>>
Only real reason is that supposedly you can't fully deactivate traction/stability control, but I'm sure you could retune or pull a fuse to disable them.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.