[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /o/ think of the second generation Toyota Tercel's?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 00G0G_9QfIvBvhMOl_600x450.jpg (35KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
00G0G_9QfIvBvhMOl_600x450.jpg
35KB, 600x399px
What does /o/ think of the second generation Toyota Tercel's? Are they that hilariously slow as people say?
>>
>>11291003
Yeah and FWD.

But theyre a good shitbox. such as all Tercels.
>>
You can get them for super cheap because the ricers havent got to them.

Better alternative to the civic and much cleaner examples for cheap.
>>
2nd gen is worst gen, no parts interchangeability with the other cars in the platform and zero aftermarket. Shoot for '89 and up, motor/tranny/suspension are all interchangeable with a Toyota Starlet Turbo, and trips to a junkyard can yield paseo sway bars or bigger brake calipers from a mid 90's corolla. Not bad little carts, all weigh under 2100 pounds, lsd swaps available, 4 an 5e motors have nice Yamaha heads too. !0k bucks including car can yield a 200+whp <2000 lb car that can be insured for under $20 a month
>>
>>11292088
If I had the spare cash I'd throw a 4efte head onto a 5efhe block and intake manifold, mate it to an lsd C52, everything cusco makes, and then top it off with a nice ball bearing turbo setup. Block and crank are stable beyone 300 whp and you don't have to deal with assholes in accords always trying to race you
>>
>>11291003

they may be slow, but they'll go to 500,000km off of just oil changes
>>
>>11292088

How do you know all this?

Here I thought I was the crazy one for even bothering to swap a forged and turboed 2zz into my 02 Corolla shitbox.
>>
>>11292197
lol some people actually like them, theres a few onlince clubs too. Good little cars, easy to park and maintain, forgiving at it's limits, and most any replacement part can be dug out of a scrapyard for cheap. If you don't mind notching frames and fabbing mounts you can even do 4age blacktop or silvertop. Try swapping the mounting brackets and brake calipers from a 92-95 ish 1.8 corolla, some matching hawk pads and brembo discs from a Mazda MX-3, will outbreak nearly anything on the road
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zhannh_3Vk

Check out this 10 second Tercel lol
>>
>>11292301

How about even a 2ZZ? or am I being too optimistic?

I would love to actually get one now and just completely gut it for even an even crazier, lighter curbweight, with suspension and sways from the Starlet and Paseo like anon mentioned with a Turbo engine, boost gauges all tucked into the center console while keeping the exterior stock.

Imagine the look on that ricer's face when you do a fly-by and he hears your turbo spool, even cops wouldn't suspect a thing! see disco lights in your rear view? take the off ramp and zip through corners and park somewhere.
>>
File: 1409771960488.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1409771960488.gif
2MB, 320x180px
Though ghetto as all fuck, this guy swapped a 600HP 3SGTE!!!

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?s=ba392354e68423efbbc6dc04fefc3bea&t=114133
>>
>>11292448
2ZZ's have been done, but mostly only by Puerto Ricans. It's a big, tall motor and doesn't really fit into a Tercel or Paseo without serious cutting. Craziest thing I've seen so far was a backwards B18 from an integra, and in Florida there is a dude working an a turbo 7age RWD conversion.
All that said, E series motors are great. Between the 4E and 5E, all accessories, cylinder heads/valvetrains and internals can be swapped around so you will never run out of cheap parts. Having a small iron block lets them be dogged on pretty hard, and a turbo 4a will yield more power than the car can take while still being able to turn. Anything over 250WHP in these guys is for drag racing
>>
>>11292612

So I can run a reasonable amount of boost with stock internals?
>>
>>11292612

Interesting, an Iron block on such a cheap car.

My friend owns a stock 2 liter turbo Hynday Genesis, doesn't know shit about driving or even wrenching.

I'd love to humiliate him with his girlfriend with a shitbox sleeper like this.
>>
>>11292649
Even the 1.3 4efte is good to 200 on stock internals, but as with all 20 year old motors would probably be a good idea to rebuilt. If on a factory original motor, be sure it has less than 100k miles on it. If the E series ever had an Achilles heel it's been oem Toyota head gaskets and piston rings.
I once ran a '97 Red Hawk 800 miles round trip to San Jose, CA with a ripped up head gasket. One cylinder was down and it was consuming 2-2.5 liters of oil when the crankcase has a 1.9 liter capacity. Still made it lol, after sending that to Toyota Valhalla that I am fiercely loyal to anything Tercel/Paseo/Starlet.
>>
My dad has owned 3 2nd gens. They are hilariously slow and incredibly shitty by almost any possible metric, but they last forever and the 4x4 5 spd wagons are actually pretty neat.

Seriously though I have never driven any other car that felt as unsafe as any of those Tercels did, and they were all in decent condition when purchased.

3rd gens are slightly better. Paseos are better than those.
>>
File: tercel.jpg (56KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
tercel.jpg
56KB, 800x600px
>>11292889

No kidding, I'm a die hard Toyota fan. They don't make sports cars like they did in the 80s and 90s but their sedans are still the shit... their early 2000 Corollas burned a fuck ton of oil but still, their Crowns and Chasers are pretty cool if you can get your hands on one, Cressidas too.

I had a 2002 Corolla and it was reliable as fuck until I oversteered into a dirt berm racing my buddie's 300ZX on a trail with bald tires, stupid as all fuck lol, my front axle was completely fucked and had to get it towed from the ditch but I drove it home with a donut with my mpgs down the shitter due to my crooked axel.

2 weeks later, going up a hill, I hear a loud bang followed by horrible grinding noises and lose control. I gain control half way up the hill and my car starts t oroll backwards lol. I put it in park, ripped the ebrake and look under the car and there's oil everywhere mixed with redish tranny fluid. I managed to roll it backwards down the hill on neutral and sold it for scrap, RIP old buddy.

I found this little guy, clean and white for 1500. I'm gonna jump the gun on it, this thread has inspired me to make a sleeper out of her.
>>
>>11293061

Turns out that I completely fucked my differential and it took out my tranny too when I crashed.
>>
>>11293061
I've heard of Tercel's surviving rollover crashes and driving away, durable little cars they are. One person I knew got t-boned by some asshole who ran a stop sign and took off. Despite having an axle get pushed into the transmission, that car still moved well enough to stop said hit and run vehicle and have the driver apprehended.
That's a nice little 5th gen there, I always liked the look of toyota's super white with the unpainted bumpers.
If you wanna get serious check out tercelonline.com. It's not that active of a club any more, but it's a wealth of diy info, parts numbers, weights/measurements and all kinds of wierd tricks to make these things better.
>>
>>11292088
This

Believe it or not, the 89+ Tercels can be made into quite the little sleepers
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.