[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Average cost of raising a child to age 18 in the United States

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: -1x-1[1].png (71KB, 1200x635px) Image search: [Google]
-1x-1[1].png
71KB, 1200x635px
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-09/children-don-t-come-cheap-cost-of-raising-one-hits-233-610

>Children keep getting more expensive to raise -- fashion is pricier and so are doctor visits and day care, according to the U.S. government.

>At least food’s still relatively cheap.

>The cost for a middle-income family to raise a child born in 2015 to age 18 is $233,610, a 3 percent increase from the previous year, the Department of Agriculture said Monday. Housing was the largest expense, at 29 percent of the cost. Wealthier families, who live in costlier neighborhoods and are more likely to use day care, spend more than twice as much on their children as poorer households.

>The USDA has prepared the report almost every year since 1960. It tracks seven categories of spending, including housing, transportation and clothing, and is used to help courts and government agencies estimate child-support costs. It excludes payments for college, as well as financial contributions from sources other than parents, including government aid.
http://wtnh.com/2017/01/10/study-shows-raising-a-child-from-birth-to-17-years-will-costs-you-more-than-233k/
>The department says a middle-income, married couple with two children is estimated to spend $233,610 to raise a child born in 2015. If you crunch the numbers-families can expect to spend between $12 and $14,000 a year, on average, to raise a child.
>>
>wtnh
>not understanding basic economics
Haven't seen bait this shitty since kony2012, well tried friendo
>>
>>98537
Okay then, Milton Friedman, where did they get it wrong?
>>
>>98532
I'm wondering where their housing cost calculations come from. I am in the same hose we bought before we had kids. We shoped smart and landed quality furnishings for our kids cheap as hell, closing convent all with hardwood furniture and paying was voluntary donation (we did donate generously though). We got clothes given to us through family and friends, my daughter's have enough clothes for 4 kids. Likely this study comes down to "people are retarded with money and spending on their children is no exception." Dumbest thing is a friend of mine who shared this study has a horse that costs $450 per month just to stable it.
>>
>>98554
I also wonder about the caluculation. I know people who buy the newest "child fashion" or a 1000$ brand new stroller, but that shouldnt be the norm. There usually is an oversupply of second hand stuff thats really cheap since children grow out of it so fast.
>>
So it cost around $12k a month to have a kid?

I'm gonna call bullshit. This seems like something college administrators would push

>Better get the college shekels ready while they're young!
>>
Lol. My Dad used to threaten me to consider if the cost of raising me was a gift or a loan. :^)

Took me years to counter his claim with if it's a loan, i'd put him in one of those retirement homes you see investigated on 60 Minutes.

We're currently experiencing detente.
>>
>>98532
>233k in housing costs
where the fuck do they get these numbers from
>>
>>98554
Probably some contrived shit like 'opportunity loss' because the mothee is assumed, on average, to have to quit her high-powered executive job forever to raise a child.

Or that you are assumed to have to buy a new 5 bedroom mcmansion and late model minivan, ect.
>>
>>98818
>So it cost around $12k a month to have a kid?
$233,610 divided by 18 years is $12,978.33 per year.

$12,978.33 per year divided by 12 months is $1,081.53

That seems pretty believable.
>>
>>99550
pay him back by contributing to the dynasty
>>
>>99980
Dumb fucking americans can't do math...
372k/18 years=20.666k a year
20k/12 months=1.7k a month
Is really living in america so fucking expensive?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.