[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trump’s transition team has circulated an unusual 74-point

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 1

File: 10climate-superJumbo[1].jpg (809KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
10climate-superJumbo[1].jpg
809KB, 2048x1365px
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/us/politics/climate-change-energy-department-donald-trump-transition.html

>WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump’s transition team has circulated an unusual 74-point questionnaire at the Department of Energy that requests the names of all employees and contractors who have attended climate change policy conferences, as well as emails and documents associated with the conferences.

>In question after question, the document peppers Energy Department managers with pointed queries about climate science research, clean energy programs and the employees who work for those programs.

>More broadly, the questionnaire hints at a significant shift of emphasis at the agency toward nuclear power, and a push to commercialize the research of the Energy Department’s laboratories, long considered the crown jewels of federal science.

>Energy Department employees, who shared the questionnaire with The New York Times and spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly, described the questionnaire as worrying. Mr. Trump has just tapped Scott Pruitt, the attorney general of Oklahoma and a climate change denialist, to head the Environmental Protection Agency, and the president-elect has made it clear he intends to roll back eight years of regulatory efforts by President Obama that aimed to control planet-warming emissions.

>The questionnaire “suggests the Trump administration plans a witch hunt for civil servants who’ve simply been doing their jobs,” Robert Weissman, president of the watchdog group Public Citizen, said in a statement. “Democrats and Republicans alike should unite to condemn any action that intimidates, threatens or retaliates against civil servants for lawfully doing their jobs.”
>>
>>90748
They should just leave the ones asking for any personnel information blank.
>>
Future generations will look back on us, and be disgusted with our selfishness, and lack of foresight.
>>
>>90864
Agree the questionnaire should have been 75 questions.
>>
>>90864
Agreed. It's clear at this point that the initial forecasts that touted global warming to be our greatest threat weren't remotely accurate, climate change will not be the disaster they claimed it to be. Yet we continue to throw money into this wasteful environmental projects instead of focusing on secure energy.
>>
Trump is pigheaded, unbalanced, and straight up ignorant in many areas which he should take a backseat to and let someone else handle. He's going to be assassinated before they can impeach him.
>>
>>90877

Joke's on you, Pence would implement the same policies.
>>
>>90878
>would implement the same policies
I'd think he'd do more: save the world from wasting time and energy on degenerates
>>
>>90864
Good thing you wont have any children, only the bull is allowed to inseminate your fat wife.
>>
>>90875
The scientist just want the government to give them more grant money like the welfare queens they are.
>>
>>90897
Imagine that there are scientists in the world who do it for the science.

If the scientists wanted money they could easily go work for Dow Chemical or Royal Dutch Shell or something.
>>
>>90748

>>90875
>>90887
>>90894
>>90897

>>>/pol/

Back to your containment board, troglodytes
>>
>>90903
The truth hurts.
>>
>>90907

You know nothing, Jon Snow.
>>
>>90864

>implying there will be a future generation with society's current level of retardness
>>
>>90748
>More broadly, the questionnaire hints at a significant shift of emphasis at the agency toward nuclear power

How is this a bad thing? Nuclear energy is clean and cheap.
>>
>>90897
You fucks really are dumb.
I have friends who work in climate science and they are all preping for shit to go south.
We are talking major crop failures by 2040 along with chrinic water shortages in the mid west and west coast.

Not only that but, asia gets fucked up the ass by typhons and frequent floods, while saudi arabia becomes too hot to live in because of high humidity and temperature. Thats bedore their aquifer gets contaminated by salt water.

Oh lets see also the economy wont be able to support all these people so the only way to get rid of them is war.

I would recomend buying some land in south america in costarica.

Climate models are favorable and if the nukes fly you are far enough away from thr fallout.
>>
>>90930
>Nuclear energy is clean and cheap
t. nuclear lobby
>>
>>90748
Im not saying the department energy doesn't need to be reformed but this isn't the way to go about it, your kicking people out before you even know if there one of the quacks are legitimate professionals
>>
>>90930
>nuclear energy is cheap
Building reactors isn't.
>>
>>90908
Reddit was a mistake
>>
>>90932
>Climate models being anything but correct
>All the data is inconclusive but what if
>>
>>91011

Even if you're talking about only a 5% margin of certainty, when one of the hazards is runaway warming, and eventually Earth joining the ranks of mercury in inability to support life, that should be enough justification to seriously curb use of hydrocarbon fuels given that we do have other options. Given the possibility of such a mass extinction, even a fraction of a percent should give us pause. Not every warning about our future is alarmism.

And you see Trump's supporters looking to slander the scientists as traitors with ulterioir motives while their candidate appoints exxon mobil's CEO to Secretary of State, without the slightest sense of irony. Trump as POTUS is a walking, breathing, conflict of interest.
>>
>>91020
Conflict of interest laws do not apply to the president or Vice President.
>>
>>91022
And that should be changed.
>>
Give them their pick slips, no more bird killing windmills that don't work
>>
>>90907
>it's true because I say it is!
nice try
>>>/pol/

>>91009
Indeed it was, but nonetheless you should go back there and spare this board from being contaminated by your newfaggotry.
>>
DoE basically calmly has told Trump and his transition team to fuck off

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/12/13/energy-dept-rejects-trumps-request-to-name-climate-change-workers-who-remain-worried/?utm_term=.69125cbf1025
>>
>we need to stop using fossil fuels
>but nuclear is haram

?????????

nuclear is the only realistic option if you want to stop using coal

if humanity was a sane species we would all be running gen4+ reactors now to power the whole fucking planet

using petroleum-derived fuels for anything other than rockets is idiocy when nuclear has such an enormous bounty of energy to provide.
>>
>>91672

The specter of the Cold War and the nuclear accidents within poisoned an entire generation against nuclear. You'll have to wait until the Cold War generations loser power and then maybe you'll see nuclear be part of the new energy generation.
>>
>>90897

Let's see, I could make 40k as a post-doc in fundamental science working 12hrs per day 6 days per week or 100k+ in my first year as a quant or any kind of industry modelist working 40-hr weeks.

We choose our path for a reason other than money. That shouldn't matter when the facts are there, but apparently some people (oddly enough many of whom claim to be conservative Christians) who can't comprehend that people can have a purpose in life beyond the material here and now.
>>
>>91672
This. Nuclear is the modern energy source. Solar is probably tomorrow's, but we keep coming back to yesterday's technology because they were big and had lobbyists when the better technology was being born. Aren't we just straight giving oil companies billions of dollars in corporate welfare these days?
>>
>>91672
this. but since hippies wont allow it, we'll just burn coal.

>hippies refused nuclear power, now they have to pay the toll as we burn the coal
poetry, lads.
>>
>>90748
Just waiting for Trump to put Joseph McCarthy on the currency.
>>
>>92029
>hippies won't allow it
Gee I wonder why...
>What is Three Mile Island for $500, Alex?
>>
>>92070
Technology has improved you luddite.
>>
>>92071
Damn straight it has, Fission reactors are just about obsolete.

Also, this:
>>90143
>>
>>92070
Three Mile Island was actually a huge fucking success story. Operators did everything wrong, and the we had no fatalities.

You only get problems with nuclear power when stations are run decades beyond their intended life span. A leading cause of this, ironically, is stupid hippies deciding to block any kind of nuclear development. So people throw up their hands and say "We need this power, and despite being thirty years past the decommission date, this plant is the only thing that can provide it! We can't fix it up, we can't build a new one, so I guess we'll just have to tape the parts back together and keep running!".
>>
>>92096
>You only get problems with nuclear power when stations are run decades beyond their intended life span.
I'm more worried about sub-standard, lowest-bid independent contractors running the places under Trump's/Rick Perry's DoE than I am about the things blowing up. If one does melt down or has a radioactive steam release or something it's probably going to be human error that causes it, not age of the infrastructure.
>>
>>90903

>back2reddit

GO
>>
>>92305
NO
>>
>>90748
Are we actually going to go nuclear? and possibly get fusion in my life time? An energy dream come true?!

That might actually offset his shit choice in EPA head.
>>
>>92097
Yeah, that's a legitimate concern. I'm not a huge fan of regulation, but I am a bit worried that, in their rush to eliminate red tape, the incoming administration might be overzealous.
>>
>>92029
>not pay the coal toll
you fucked up
>>
>>92413
>>90143
>>
>>92413
>Are we actually going to go nuclear? and possibly get fusion in my life time?
Nuclear always has been and always will be too retardedly expensive to be economically viable. They only get built when the government is willing to either subsidize them or just build one themselves.
Fusion is an even more retardedly expensive fantasy
>>
>>92476
OO, I'm excited. Now to just make it better and cheaper.
>>
>>92517
This shouldn't stop research and innovation in either field though.
>>
>>92571
>>92517
Fossil fuels are the only thing that make economical sense when it comes to energy.
>>
>>92625
Good thing we'll never run out.
>>
>>92625

Not when you factor in externalities. And if you don't, insurance companies will, and if they won't, tax policy will.

Maybe "economics" is too big a word for you right now.
>>
>>92625
prepare for your flood of 30 million bangladeshi refugees if sea levels in their country continue rising for another decade or two
>>
>>92632
we'll just find a way to burn something even more heinous if we do.
>>
>>92642
>we'll just find a way to burn something even more heinous if we do.
Jews?
>>
A modern westinghouse AP1000 fission plant is rated over 1GW/plant power output and costs about 5B USD a piece. if we set aside 10% of our military budget a year we could afford to install 10 new fission reactors /yr and will have foot the bill to be a totally nuclear powered country within a decade.
>>
>>92643
>being anti semetic after the election

Grandpa please, don't you know Jews are OK now? Please try to keep up.
>>
>>92667
>not being anti-semite
>on an alt-right site

>implying I actually believe in any of that /pol/ crap[/yes, I know spoilers don't work here]
>>
>>92670
Oh, I guess spoilers do work here. I suppose I got /news/ confused with some other boards then.
>>
>>92649
>A modern westinghouse AP1000 fission plant is rated over 1GW/plant power output
no working ap1000 exists yet, 1GW is unproven.
>and costs about 5B USD a piece.
"On February 16, 2010, President Obama announced $8.33 billion in federal loan guarantees to construct the two AP1000 units at the Vogtle plant.[45] The cost of building the two reactors is expected to be $14 billion.[46]"
>>
>>92670
>>92671
As of the new cabinet picks, Jews are in and everything that disagrees with Goy Emperor Trump is out. Try to keep up, and make sure to open an account with Goldman-Sachs today!
>>
>>92673
It's like you didn't see the spoiler text.
>>
>>90748
>More broadly, the questionnaire hints at a significant shift of emphasis at the agency toward nuclear power, and a push to commercialize the research of the Energy Department’s laboratories

Both are things I'd expect to see if climate change were being taken seriously by Trump.

But leave it to libtarded morons to paint literally everything he does as doom and gloom. If Trump likes Skub, then liberals will be Anti-Skub; fucking ridiculous.

Nuclear is by far and away the best alternative energy source the US has access to, and would massively cut oil dependence while securing energy security for the forseeable future. There's absolutely no reason not to go this way, and not to incentivize energy production by making it cheaper and commercialized, especially if you know that an energy crunch is looming.
>>
>>90928
Humanity had many generations without agriculture, writing, fire, etc.
>Make America as great as niggerest Africa, again.

>>91020
He's flooding the swap.

>>92024
>Aren't we just straight giving oil companies billions of dollars in corporate welfare these days?
Yes, oil and gas companies get tons of money, way more than solar/wind, and have a huge lobby. Yet, they continue openly lying about how much solar/wind get from the gov.

>>92413
You mean as in a thermonuclear war with China? It won't be like in your video games Anon.

>>92642
Thus the idea to start looking for things to burn now. Like hydrogen.
>>
>>92681
Well, than depends on who is responsible for the privatized research. Hopefully nobody that lobbies for established energy industries.
>>
>>92690
How do you go from energy independence to war? Unless you have an agenda to push.
>>
>>92732
The left always does. Besides, if we get into a nuclear war, that just means a lot of dead city liberals, which is fine by me.
>>
>>92734
You are being a hypocrite, good trolling.
>>
>>92736
Are you afraid?
>>
>>92847
No. I'm slightly annoyed, but that's about it.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.