[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Harvard research suggests that an entire global generation has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: __.png (419KB, 730x1465px) Image search: [Google]
__.png
419KB, 730x1465px
>So rampant is democratic indifference and disengagement among millennials that a shocking share of them are open to trying something new—like, say, government by military coup.

>That’s according to research by Yascha Mounk, a Harvard University researcher, and Roberto Stefan Foa, a political scientist at the University of Melbourne. The remit of their study, which the Journal of Democracy will publish in January, analyzes historical data on attitudes toward government that spans various generations in North America, Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.

>Young people today are more into political radicalism and exhibit less support for freedom of speech than previous generations, according to the July study.

>Many fewer millennials in both Europe and the US object outright to military coups than their elders.

>Only around a third of US millennials see civil rights as “absolutely essential” in a democracy, compared with 41% among older Americans. In the European Union, it’s 39% and 45%, respectively.

>More than a quarter of US millennials dismiss the importance of free elections to democracy.

>Back in 1990, majorities of both young and older people reported being interested in politics. For millennials, that’s no longer true.

>It might be that since this particular generation of young people have grown up in highly stable democracies, they take democracy for granted.

>But millennials aren’t doing much unconventional political action either. While one in 11 American baby-boomers had demonstrated in a political protest in the previous year, only one in 15 millennials had.

>Sharp deteriorations in measures of democratic health presaged autocratic shifts in Poland and Venezuela, as the New York Times points out. But those were both much younger democracies than those in the US and Western Europe.

http://qz.com/848031/harvard-research-suggests-that-an-entire-global-generation-has-lost-faith-in-democracy/
>>
Scary times ahead.
>>
Why don't people learn from history?

Do they just not take seriously things they haven't experienced for themselves?
>>
>>89814
From what I remember, either the data in this study doesn't really back these claims up or actual anti-democracy sentiment is still virtually nonexistent as reported by a separate study

Any millennial who thinks that a fascist or leninist dictatorship will be in any way shape or form an improvement over what we have now is fucking retarded though.
>>
>>89817
Some of my university colleagues from Nigeria and Colombia get downright angry over how pampered we are here in the first world.
>>
>>89820
My dad is from northern niger and he once told me that his earliest memory was seeing one of his uncles get executed by firing squad in the wake of an anti-government rebellion

he was six at the time
>>
>>89817
We get tired of the same old thing, so we stop being able to appreciate it. In this circumstance, we start to believe that a change, any change, even one back to something that's been repeatedly tried and failed, will be a change for the better.
>>
>>89820
you are pampered there in your first world
>>
I lost faith in democracy when I began seeing people who would vote to sink the ship they're on.
>>
>>89822
If this is true, then people need to understand there might not always be a redux if we get sick of lack of representative government.
Modern technology, the surveillance state and even the fact that the economy is increasingly independent of labor of the common man, gives the people increasingly less leverage over the powers that be without the vote. And any rebellion is much more likely to be squished before it begins than ever before.
Especially considering the US and UK have typically constituted the bulwark of liberal democracy. There is nobody left from the outside to come save us. And the powers and institutions of government outlast even benevolent dictators.
>>
>>89824
We are, because democracy requires your countries to be broken so our countries can suck as much money out of them as our countries can so they can keep paying for the bread and circuses that keep our people entertained and not focusing on the extreme amount of corruption that happens in our country.

Under democracy we've destroyed the Middle East and created absolute monsters who slaughter their own people before moving onto ours. The shit in Syria isn't about Assad, the shit in Syria is about the US wanting to jam an oil pipeline through it to make more money because they're circling the drain because they've blown all the money they can possibly afford to keep the people deaf, dumb, and blind.

>>89818
>Any millennial who thinks that a fascist or leninist dictatorship will be in any way shape or form an improvement over what we have now is fucking retarded though.

I don't think they will be any better, but there is nothing good about what we have now. This isn't a "Don't fix what isn't broken" situation, this is a "Don't fix what isn't that badly broken, I mean come on guy it's just brown people in another country, at least I got my netflix" situation.
>>
>>89828
>I don't think they will be any better, but there is nothing good about what we have now.

...a stable system of laws, justice and economic markets? Put your fedora on and fuck off outta here you fag.
>>
>>89814
1. Representative democracy is actually like sitting on the fence between totalitarism and real democracy. Also easily becomes hijacked when mixed with capitalism. Hybrid democracy like Switzerland is an option.

2. You become less edgy as you age. Millenials will mellow after a while.

>Sharp deteriorations in measures of democratic health presaged autocratic shifts in Poland and Venezuela
Pole here. Poles actually voted against status quo and being fucked by the previous govt, against neoliberal and for prosocial policies. It's like voting for Obama to make a change or voting for Trump to make America great again, but getting buttfucked instead.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.