[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

U Chicago says no to safe-spaces and trigger warnings in message

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 0

University of Chicago tells new students that it won't support safe spaces and trigger warnings.

Hate to quote fox but it's the only reputable source with an article up.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/24/u-chicago-to-frosh-no-safe-spaces-here.html

>The University of Chicago, one of America’s most prestigious and selective universities, is warning incoming students starting this fall not to expect safe spaces and a trigger-free existence during their four-year journey through academia.

>In a letter sent to the class of 2020, university officials said one of the defining characteristics of the school was its unwavering commitment to freedom of inquiry and expression. Civility and mutual respect are vital to the campus culture, the letter states, but not at the expense of shielding students from unpopular opinions or ideas.

>“Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so-called “trigger warnings,” we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual “safe spaces” where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own,” the letter states.
>>
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/25/university-of-chicago-to-freshmen-we-do-not-suppor/
>>
>washingtontimes
>foxnews
It's almost like conservative media wants this to be a story for some reason.
>>
>>69029
Good.

Even though chicago is still corrupted as fuck, I'm glad to see that at least it won't pander to the nu-age cucks.
>>
I normally get sick of all the retarded anti-"SJW" rhetoric constantly regurgitated back and forth on 4chan, but I can agree with the college's ruling on this. Mandating PCness in any form is not acceptable. If people want to go out of their way to avoid offending someone's sensitivities, that should be their prerogative, not something that's mandated by a policy.
>>
>>69034
Compared to the slew of articles for safe spaces, you're bound to see some opposition.

if you don't know what I mean:
>>68411
>>66954
>>64142
>>63412
Are threads about people wanting and pushing for or seeing the detriment of safe spaces.
>>
Why did they feel the need to send out a letter spelling this out, instead of say putting it on their academic policies webpage? Is it just one part of a longer letter?

If not, what possible event was so disruptive that the university felt the need to spend thousands of dollars in postage and risk excessive mixed-to-bad publicity on this?
>>
>>69046
Are you aware stuff like this happens in any campus and this one was just brought to news right? Some idiot wanted to change the water fountain to beer where I studied and the university to pay for it.
>>
>>69029
Got in an argument about this with one of my friends on Facebook.

True to form, she blocked me immediately, preserving her safe space.
>>
>>69068
I almost started discussing it on FB with my friends on the left. There's no arguing with people who believe everyone else is responsible for their shortcomings.
>>
>>69073
If there's anything i've learned on the internet, spending your life arguing with people that are very passionate about politics, religion and civil rights is a waste of time.You will never convince eachother and will just enrage yourselves.

That being said, NEVER discussing these topics is also dangerous as you will live in a sheltered bubble without anything to challenge your opinions.
>>
Wait. Are "safe spaces" actually a real thing at colleges and not just a meme? How do they function in practice? How are they enforced?
>>
>>69097
They don't actually exist. It's all just there so that the university can pretend to be addressing the problems formally. It ends up being a dumb move as it pisses off one side for technically limiting free speech and the other side for not really doing anything to combat perceived homophobia and racism infringing on their ability to learn.

All that it amounts to is a (skipable) workshop in first year residence. That's literally all that i experience about the safe space in my four years. There's even signs all over the place, on profs doors, in hallways, on buildings, but it's all a facade. There is nothing they can actually do for you saying 'haha dude thats so gay!'. Sure people can feel empowered to call you out, but you can just walk away/ignore them.

Now that i think about it, not allowing people to speak at your school because they 'trigger' you might actually be part of the safespace thing, but i dont relaly care enough to look into it or re-write my post.

So no, safe spaces dont exist. They are essentially a scare tactic to make people watch what they say at school.
>>
>>69102
>>69097
DePaul, which is also in Chicago, started banning speakers that SJWs don't like. This started because last year the Rpublican group invited Milo to speak. SJW protesters shut down his talk and security was told to just let them shut it down instead of removing the protesters. SJWs bitched because they said Milo never should have been allowed to speak there in the first place. So now Depaul has turned the entire university into a safe space where speakers that SJWs don't like aren't allowed to speak to any student groups.
>>
Part of speech, someone yells PEPE. Anybody got a link to the full speech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLDX6RHTY4
>>
>>69123
What does this have to do with the article or safe spaces on college campuses in general?
>>
>>69124
oh shit, my bad, wrong thread. meant to post in the 'Hillary adresses' alt-right. too late to delete sorry
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.