[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exclusive: Trump vents in Oval Office, "I want tariffs.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

File: tariffs.png (906KB, 1218x685px) Image search: [Google]
tariffs.png
906KB, 1218x685px
https://www.axios.com/exclusive-trump-vents-in-oval-office-i-want-tariffs-bring-me-some-tariffs-2478121273.html

The following is a rare account of President Trump in a small Oval Office meeting, venting at senior staff for sometimes resisting his hawkish trade agenda.

This account — confirmed by sources with knowledge of the meeting and undisputed by the White House — hints at where Trump may be heading with his trade agenda. And it shows he believes some of his top economic advisors are resisting his agenda because they are "globalists."

The scene: The Oval Office, during Gen. Kelly's first week as Chief of Staff. Kelly convened a meeting to discuss the administration's plans to investigate China for stealing American intellectual property and technology. Kelly stood beside Trump, behind the Resolute desk. In front of the desk were U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, senior trade adviser Peter Navarro, top economic adviser Gary Cohn, and Trump's former chief strategist Steve Bannon.

Trump, addressing Kelly, said, "John, you haven't been in a trade discussion before, so I want to share with you my views. For the last six months, this same group of geniuses comes in here all the time and I tell them, 'Tariffs. I want tariffs.' And what do they do? They bring me IP. I can't put a tariff on IP." (Most in the room understood that the president can, in fact, use tariffs to combat Chinese IP theft.)

"China is laughing at us," Trump added. "Laughing."

Kelly responded: "Yes sir, I understand, you want tariffs."

Gary Cohn, who opposes tariffs and the protectionist trade measures pushed by the Bannonites, had his shoulders slumped and was clearly appalled by the situation.

Staff secretary Rob Porter, who is a key mediator in such meetings, said to the president: "Sir, do you not want to sign this?" He was referring to Trump's memo prodding Lighthizer to investigate China — which may lead to tariffs against Beijing.
>>
Trump replied: "No, I'll sign it, but it's not what I've asked for the last six months." He turned to Kelly: "So, John, I want you to know, this is my view. I want tariffs. And I want someone to bring me some tariffs."

Kelly replied: "Yes sir, understood sir, I have it."

At one point in the meeting, Navarro pulled out a foam board chart. Trump didn't pay attention to it, saying "I don't even know what I'm looking at here."

Trump made sure the meeting ended with no confusion as to what he wanted.

"John, let me tell you why they didn't bring me any tariffs," he said. "I know there are some people in the room right now that are upset. I know there are some globalists in the room right now. And they don't want them, John, they don't want the tariffs. But I'm telling you, I want tariffs."

Kelly broke up the meeting and said the group would work things out and reconvene at the appropriate time.

A White House official responded to the above account by telling Axios: "The president has been very clear about his agenda as it relates to trade. Discussions pertaining to specific tariffs and trade deals are ongoing and have already resulted in many positive developments."

Be smart: The nationalists in the White House took public credit for the China IP policy, arguing at the time that it would lead to a much-needed crackdown on Beijing. But now that he's outside of the White House, you should expect Bannon and his allies to argue that what's been done so far isn't enough, and that Trump needs to treat China as an adversary in an economic war.

[End of Article]
>>
Forget tariffs. What we need is a nuclear war.
A few thousand megatons in aid packages would improve the middle east and the commies in china a lot.
>>
>>172673
Did Gary Cohn or Mnuchin leak this purposefully to justify staying in the White House after Charlottesville?
>>
>>172679
Idk but it's a very detailed leak and it seems to have been confirmed from multiple sources which indicates people high up are getting fed up. They know they can leak it because the President isn't exactly keeping it a secret that he wants tariffs, but still releasing this makes the president look like a fool who doesn't know what he's signing or why and is flying by vague gut instinct on things.
>>
>>172675
Are you fucking stupid ??
China has almost 1k 1 megaton war heads located in over 1000 miles of heavily fortified tunnels that are over 400 feet under ground... not to mention you do that then nk fires off their small arsenal and russia does as well india pakistan and others might just say fuck it.

You want to watch 30-40 percent of the american population to die from missile strikes and starvation??
>>
>>172683
Bullshit. They barely have a handful of operational nukes. All of which will be easily intercepted.
>>
>>172684
Are you daft they have had nukes for almost 30-40 years.

Nukes arent hard to master if you have a college with a decent physics department congrats you can proabbly make nukes in the near future. The hardest part is refining the materials needed.
>>
>>172682
I suppose you're swayed by the foam board bit. Let me tell you as someone who knows how to read economic papers and do economic research that for quite a bit of stuff, if you're not formally trained as an economist then you'll have no fucking clue what's going on. I had friends doing math masters that upon looking upon some of my work didnt know how to interpret things and it's not because they were dumb, but because they werent trained in interpreting that sort of material. I could explain it all fairly easy in laymens terms because I studied economics.
When you're a leader you can't be expected to know everything about every detail because it would leave you studying 24/7 with no time to act. That's why you have advisors, to advise.
>>
>>172687
Sure they have a respectable stockpile but RAND studies have shown that at any one time only a dozen or so of Chinese nukes are ready for deployment. The chinese military is legendary in it's corruption and incompetence. They have lost wars were they outnumbered the enemy 50 to 1
>>
>>172689
Do you really want to take that chance??
Also discounting russia from getting involved?
Thats a huge fucking risk.
>>
>>172688
I think the worrying thing is that he just dismissed it to continue his tarrif sperging instead of allowing his advisor to advise.
>>
>what he actually said
I want tacos, bring me some tacos
>>
>>172691
I think the chances are good.
>>
>>172692
He just wants yes men to tell him that all his ideas are amazing. Of course he isn't going to listen to his advisors if they aren't his ideas they're echoing back at him.
>>
>>172700
Do tell china has 800 ready to launch russia has 2.4k ready to launch .. if we whack china and ME russia will respond in kind. We cant intercept all the missiles. More then likely people you know would die either in the attack or as a result of it.

While we can "win " a nuclear war there is a good reason its not a popular idea.
>>
>>172700
Look i have always made the argument a nuclear war is survivable and not the end of the world as made out in popular fiction but, dear god nuclear war will suck ass. And by suck i mean fractional orbit bombardment where warheads remain in orbit for years after wards only to slam down at a later date type of sucking.
Im talking about the reemergence of polio due to no vacination sucking.

Im talking about no food for weeks due to crop shortage sucking.

Do you know what you are asking for?

As much as i bitch about modern life and fantasize about living mad max that would be a shitty existance.
>>
>>172705
We already are at war. And so far they are destroying us completely. Let's make it official and go hot.
It will be brutal, it will be evil. Billions will die. The middle east will be the center and virtually wiped clean of all life.
But the alternative is ten times more horrifying.
>>
>>172707
Whats the alternative that is so much worse the wiping 1.5-3 billion people off the face of the world. We are no longer number one?? I would gladly take 3 place if it means i dont fucking kill 30-40 percent of the worlds population and set us back decades tech wise.

>also does anyone know the status of the nuclear reactors near huston and costal texas??
>>
>>172709
I'd rather kill 5 billion people than see the world fall into Chink Commie hands.
>>
>>172692
Well, it's not sperging. It's sticking to promises like any competant person should do. You may like the idea of free trade, but me, despite being trained to be an economist and going against much of my field, would disagree. When an entity must fight to survive and has a clear opposition to that, then they need to make surethey play in their own interest and not some ivory tower bullshit that work ceterus paribus.
>>172703
It's easy to disagree with advisors that disagree with your direction when your direction ia achievable. Particularly, when they do so out of loyalty to their own ideologies rather than to you. Fuck off with your halfwitted dribble.
>>
>>172728
>Free trade
>Has to prop up the coal industry because of muh coal jobs when the renewables sector is becoming more profitable

Kek
>>
>>172700
That is because you are on top of Mount Stupid and you spent too much time being antisocial and lost empathy. This isn't a fucking game. We are playing for keeps. Nukes are a constant danger and they cannot be disregarded on a hunch or a study. The capacity for destruction is too great.
>>
>>172728
>sticking to promises
He made those promises because he was drastically underinformed about how geopolitics and international trade works. Those are not the promises you want to keep if you want to keep America the arbiter of the world.
>>
>>172759
If you had seen even half the reports I have you would want nuke China tomorrow. They are conducting all out full scale economic warfare. They are killing us.
>>
>>172682
>but still releasing this makes the president look like a fool who doesn't know what he's signing or why and is flying by vague gut instinct on things.

He literally says that he knows what he's signing but wants it to go further
>>
>>172703
>He just wants yes men to tell him that all his ideas are amazing

I dont buy that. The fact that he has hired people with so many different POVs proves he wants differing perspectives.
>>
>>172700
>I think

Unlikely.
>>
>>172679
Hey would nee justification? The majority of the American people agree with what president Trump said!
>>
>>172682
How? We do need tarrifs
>>
>>172713
Riveting performance anon, bravo!

There are so few people that can play a good retard these days.
>>
>>172811
Missiles over japan

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/28/japanese-government-warns-north-korea-missile-headed-toward-northern-japan-report-says.html
>>
>>172673
>bring back tariffs

And the only place US goods will be cheap enough to compete in any market will be in the US.

Meanwhile every other company on the planet will compete in a global marketplace. With global profits.

And when they use all those profits to lobby to get rid of the tariffs (and they will), there will be nothing you can do to stop the total market crash that will come from warehouses full of US goods no one wants to buy after the Chinese companies reopen our markets.

Trump is a real estate man not an economist.

This is just sad and stupid.

We should be pushing to buy Brazilian or Chilean and take China's steam away. I legit think Trump might be a Chinese agent, he'd hand them the US economy on a silver platter within 20 years with this stupid move.
>>
>>172683
>You want to watch 30-40 percent of the american population to die from missile strikes and starvation??

kinda do want
>>
>>172688
>. I could explain it all fairly easy in laymens terms because I studied economics.
Are you seriously suggesting that you would put non-laymen terms on a foam board outside of an economists summit?
>>
>>172705
>reemergence of polio due to no vacination sucking.

Yeah, um, you realize that's already happening yes?
>>
>>172764
Oh no they're winning at business let's nuke the fuck out of the entire world!

Are you seriously this insecure?
>>
>they're trading with us and then they are growing faster. they're taking all our money
our president is literally this retarded
>>
>>172832
Better hope it's a republican in office when that happens, because after that amount of time, nobody in the public is going to think to blame Trump.
>>
>>173204
He's being generous. Honestly if he wins a second term this would be out within 8 years because it really is a terribly short sighted idea from a bygone age.
>>
>>172764
Are you literally Steve Bannon?
>>
Libertarians that voted for this knuckle head on suicide watch after this and the Afghanistan announcement
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.