[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Family of Drug Smuggler Gets $1 Million after Moron Son Drinks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1474827085646.jpg (59KB, 864x454px) Image search: [Google]
1474827085646.jpg
59KB, 864x454px
More than three years ago, a Mexican teenager crossed the border into America at a Border Patrol check point. After the authorities found a suspicious liquid in his backpack, the teen voluntarily drank some of the liquid. He claimed it was apple juice he’d bought across the border. It wasn’t. It was meth in a liquid form.

He died shortly after. And now the federal court in San Diego has awarded his family $1 million to settle a lawsuit with his family.

Cruz Marcelino Velázquez Acevedo, 16, died from a massive overdose on Nov. 18, 2013. He drank the liquid in an attempt to fool the border patrol agents interrogating him.

The family’s lawsuit alleged that “the two agents told a young man to drink the liquid to prove to them that it was fruit juice and not a drug.” Eugene Iredale, the family’s attorney, told the court that he “did that, and as a result, he died.”

The suit claimed that Velasquez was the victim of wrongful death, assault and battery, negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Even though the suit was settled, the officers, Valerie Baird and Adrian Parellon, are still working for CBP in San Diego.

CBP released a statement Friday. “Although, we are not able to speak about this specific case, training and the evaluation of CBP policies and procedures are consistently reviewed as needed,” the statement read.

Though the family hasn’t come forward to talk about the settlement, the Mexican Consular General in San Diego has. “It’s never enough when you lose a human life,” said Marcela Celorio. “The family lost their son, and the father was very committed to finding justice. What’s important is that the family is at peace […] with the agreement that was reached.”

http://tribunist.com/news/family-of-drug-smuggler-gets-1-million-from-us-govt-after-he-drinks-liquid-meth-in-front-of-feds-then-dies/?utm_source=GSL
>>
The family’s attorney don’t think that Velázquez was a drug dealer. He had no record. The family believes he’d been paid to carry the liquid over the border, and had no idea what it would do to him. “We believe he was paid some small amount of money,” Irdedale said. “The going rate is $100 or $200, that they gave the kids to cross the border.”

“I don’t think they deliberately set out to kill the boy,” the attorney said. “But they did, in telling him to drink it in order to prove to themselves — or have him prove to them — that it was in fact what he said it was as opposed to a drug, which is what they suspected.”

Part of the settlement centered on testimony from another CPB officer. He told the court that one of the officers had said to him: “Oh my God, I told him to drink it, I asked him what it was, he said it was juice, I said, ‘Well then prove it.’”

“Although it is obvious in hindsight that Cruz acted recklessly in drinking from the bottle and that may have been attributable to his age and poor judgment, that fact does not alter the analysis. … There must also be coercive or deceptive tactics employed by officers to exploit a suspect’s vulnerabilities. No such tactics were used in this case,” Barton Hegeler, Perallon’s attorney, wrote.

Just who did or didn’t say what is highly disputed. The San Diego Union Tribune reports that Officers Perallon said Baird have turned on each other. Each has accused the other of being the one who instigated the meth drinking.

One thing is certain. There were test kits available that were not used. There was a canine officer that responded as soon as symptoms presented. While it may not have been intentional, it remains a high profile tragedy.
>>
Obama's legacy paying off.
>>
>>162655
>>162656
He died while committing a crime. If he was being paid I would assume he had some understanding of what was going on. The officers were in the wrong here but I do not think there should have been a settlement. He died during a crime.
>>
>>162655

The cops didn't follow protocol. Fuck the spic, but if they think something is contraband they're not supposed to dick around quizzing the person about it, they're supposed to confiscate it.
>>
>>162655
>the two agents told a young man to drink the liquid

i think the family got this million right. agents must be executed for such behaviour.
>>
>>162708
This. The whole thing reeks of bullshit but the agents were the ones who were beyond stupid in this case.
>>
>>162655
Million is still probably less than court, prison, and deportation costs. Fuck his whole family. Funny, it's usually white people caught with meth.
>>
>>162751
Meth is a white trash drug
>>
>>162708
So because some officer makes an error the taxpayer has to front $1 million?
>>
This is totally fucking stupid. He attempted to smuggle it in the u.s. then he got caught lied and the cops have every right to mess with you like say drink it or smoke it or whatever but he chose to do it . was not forced at all. This is why no mexican immitgation should be allowed there all controlled by the cartel directly or indirectly. Fuck them they have a country stay out of ours
>>
Marcelino's death is the perfect case of justice.
The little fool drank his own poison and died by it.
Yet the family of this drug dealer is being paid 1 million dollars.
If they truly cared for him, they would not have settled for mere money.
>>
>>162862
Necromancy is not allowed in over 50 countries.
>>
The cost of being shitty parents is that sometimes your kids die.

If you don't water your plants properly, they die too.

If you don't want your kids caught up in running drugs and dying, be better parents. Also, where does that million go towards? If you ask me, if should all go toward whatever services were used in finding out what happened and for a low cost funeral. The parents do not deserve a shopping spree for being bad parents. If these parents are so heartbroken and sad and whatnot, where the fuck were they when their kid was drinking meth? If they were present, why didn't they tell him "Hey dumbass, don't drink that it's meth". At what point was their precious child gone long enough to make contact with drug runners?

Bury the idiot, fire the agents (if we're saying they fucked up and their fuck up resulted in someone dying), and move on.

Fuck this stupid earth
>>
>>162777
Yes. This is why we need better police and not high school drop outs
>>
>>162704
I don't know what back water shithole you live in. But breaking the law doesn't justify abusing the criminal till death.That oddly enough is breaking the law in itself. since the border patrol has a procedure for these moments which the idiot duo blatantly ignored
But this is a /pol/ thread from the wording to the presence of space-kun himself. I wouldn't expect anyone here to understand this because /pol/niggers wack off to despots like Rodrigo durtete and then bitch about big government in the same breath
>>
>>162655
Not that I give a shit about drug smuggling illegals, but ordering the guy to drink something they have reason to believe is poisonous is textbook negligence/manslaughter. Why didn't they just test it? The article says they had testing kits.
>>
Family won't see a dime, The Cartel will come knocking.
>>
>>162929
Or how about we pay them $0 AND recruit smarter police?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.