/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Richard Dawkins has invitation to speak at UC Berkely rescinded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: tweets.png (28KB, 512x435px) Image search: [Google]
tweets.png
28KB, 512x435px
The University of California Berkeley is back at the center of controversy in another battle over free speech, but this time there's a surprising twist of events.

A Berkeley radio station has canceled an August 9 speaking engagement with atheist author Richard Dawkins, according to Berkeleyside.

In recent months, the liberal university has generated widespread outrage for canceling speakers with conservative views, like Milo Yiannopoulos, Ann Coulter, and Ben Shapiro.

But this latest cancellation targets a well-known liberal.

Dawkins was going to speak about his new book, Science in the Soul: Selected Writings of a Passionate Atheist, in the engagement sponsored by KPFA.

Although Dawkins is outspoken against conservative values and Christianity, the radio station doesn't cite that as the reason for cancellation. Instead, KPFA sent a letter to those who bought tickets for the event saying it's because his views against Muslims could be taken as offensive.

"We had booked this event based entirely on his excellent new book on science, when we didn't know he had offended and hurt – in his tweets and other comments on Islam, so many people. KPFA does not endorse hurtful speech," it says.

The letter condemns what they call "abusive speech."

"While KPFA emphatically supports serious free speech, we do not support abusive speech. We apologize for not having had broader knowledge of Dawkins views much earlier. We also apologize to all those inconvenienced by this cancellattion."

In the past, Dawkins has criticized aspects of Islam on Twitter. In one tweet, he highlights the abusive treatment of some Muslim women. In another, he references suggestions about what Mohammed would be doing if he were alive today.

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/2017/july/why-do-you-give-islam-a-free-pass-why-atheist-richard-dawkins-got-booted-from-berkeley-nbsp

Dawkins' response:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFSvyIcUQAETz76.jpg:large
>>
Dawkins ended up responding to the radio station in a letter of his own: "I used to love your station when I lived in Berkeley for two years, shortly after that beloved place had become the iconic home of free speech," he wrote. "…I have criticized the appalling misogyny and homophobia of Islam, I have criticized the murdering of apostates for no crime other than their disbelief. Far from attacking Muslims, I understand – as perhaps you do not – that Muslims themselves are the prime victims of the oppressive cruelties of Islamism, especially Muslim women."

In the letter, he points out what he sees as a double standard: "I am known as a frequent critic of Christianity and have never been de-platformed for that. Why do you give Islam a free pass? Why is it fine to criticize Christianity but not Islam?"

"You say I use 'abusive speech' about Islam. I would seriously – I mean it – like to hear what examples of my 'abusive speech' you had in mind. When you fail to discover any, I presume you will issue a public apology, which I will of course accept in a spirit of gratitude for what KPFA once was. And could become again," he added.
>>
>>160322
Islam is so hot right now
>>
Reminder that you can imperviously state any opinion if you write "I'm a muslim" after it.
>>
>>160322

>radically anti-Christian

If his corpse was found tomorrow, still wouldn't care.
>>
>>160322
Berkeley would be a great place to fuck with people. So many easily offended children
>>
>>160437
Isn't Christianity such a compassionate religion?
>>
>>160437

t. brainwashed cuck
>>
I dont know a lot about islam but i can tell you Muhammad would definitely not be a member of isis....
>>
>>161520
The problem is that many popular clerics believe and preach that he would be. Whether or not he actually would is irrelevant.
>>
>>161520
the radicals know more about their holy book than anyone else

it's partly why they are radical.

muhammed was a warlord who led several bloody conquests, purges, and sacks. saying ISIS blood conquests, purges and sacks are somehow "out of character" for the religion that descends from his teachings is incredibly disingenuous. it's like saying that the descendants of the volcano god pele throwing people into the volcano and then claiming it says to do so in their oral tradition is somehow "surprising" or "out of character"

it's not, and never has been.
>>
>>161520
Why not?
>>
>>161535
Neither was Christianity, if you consider what the Israelites did to the Canaanites and other tribes on their shit list. If we can put all that aside to listen to Jesus and his Testament, why can't moderate Muslims do the same? Why should God's truth be limited by its prophets?
>>
>>161512
>>161516

Found the kikes.

>>161520

You're right. He would be leading ISIS. Or did you forget that Moooooohamad was a child raping mass murderer who regularly sacked cities, took slaves, and taught his followers to behead those who wouldn't convert?
>>
>berkely
sounds about right
>>
>>160322
>make a career talking shit about Christians
>get ruined by doing the same to Muslims
>>
>>161580
>Gets called out for being a retard
>better call them jews,that will show them
>>
>>161520
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Enx4XxO1E
>>
>>161567
>>161567
Because the Koran doesn't have an equivalent to the New Testament that supersedes the harsh old laws. Jesus came and preached love and forgiveness. Islam has nothing like that, so if you choose to ignore the violent parts of the Koran you're not a "moderate" Muslim, but a bad Muslim.
>>
>>161535
I have news for you buddy
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/german-study-finds-radicalized-muslims-have-little-actual-knowledge-of-islam_us_5967f362e4b03389bb163c58
>>
The difference is that Christians grew out of the whole Holy War phase.
>>
Yeah

A bunch of goat fuckers were about to stone some whore, but Jesus had this super disappointed look on his face like, "really?" Later they even talked about the goat thing. Ever since then Christians have been leading civilization.

Meanwhile Muslims do all kinds of gangbang shit with whatever in 2017, like don't judge us. But it's not me whos gonna judge your goat loving ass, is it?

In hell, the goats fuck you.
>>
>>161643
>HuffingPaint found that a single isolated group of 12 terrorists who didnt know islam that well, just the islam their community around them practiced until they abandoned mosques altogether
>This means ISIS and Al-Queda being lead by PhDs in islamic study dont actually understand islam
No one lad should have all of this wew.
>>
>>160322
Fucking ridiculous. Do these people hear themselves think and say things? I'm technically liberal but to consider Islam as blameless is disgusting, bunch of idiot college kids need to get their head out of their ass.

I hate Dawkins, too, I think he's an unfunny, unintelligent retard that's spawned drooling masses of Redditors that ironically cannot think for themselves, but this is no way to treat the man.
>>
>>161683
>I'm a liberal
You're really not at this point. At least not American liberalism
>>
>>161648
cos we won kek xD xD
>>
>>161520
You're right, he wouldn't be just a member. He would be the leader.
>>
>>160322
I remember this guy having some sort of feud with some feminist over suggesting its ludicrous to focus on "misogyny" in video games over the actual shit that happens to women in 3rd world Muslim countries.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.