[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trump ends covert CIA program to arm anti-Assad rebels in Syria,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: Trump-and-Putin-laughing.jpg (107KB, 1190x595px) Image search: [Google]
Trump-and-Putin-laughing.jpg
107KB, 1190x595px
President Trump has decided to end the CIA’s covert program to arm and train moderate Syrian rebels battling the government of Bashar al-Assad, a move long sought by Russia, according to U.S. officials.

The program was a central plank of a policy begun by the Obama administration in 2013 to put pressure on Assad to step aside, but even its backers have questioned its efficacy since Russia deployed forces in Syria two years later.
Officials said the phasing out of the secret program reflects Trump’s interest in finding ways to work with Russia, which saw the anti-Assad program as an assault on its interests. The shuttering of the program is also an acknowledgment of Washington’s limited leverage and desire to remove Assad from power.
Just three months ago, after the United States accused Assad of using chemical weapons, Trump launched retaliatory airstrikes against a Syrian air base. At the time, U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley, said that “in no way do we see peace in that area with Assad at the head of the Syrian government.”

Trump described the limited cease-fire deal as one of the benefits of a constructive working relationship with Moscow.

“This is a momentous decision,” said a current official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a covert program. “Putin won in Syria.”
Even those who were skeptical about the program’s long-term value, viewed it as a key bargaining chip that could be used to wring concessions from Moscow in negotiations over Syria’s future.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-ends-covert-cia-program-to-arm-anti-assad-rebels-in-syria-a-move-sought-by-moscow/2017/07/19/b6821a62-6beb-11e7-96ab-5f38140b38cc_story.html?pushid=596fab4ff1dad71d00000034&tid=notifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.9a32623cb07b
>>
HOW THE FUCK CAN TRUMP DO THIS
We worked for 10 years on Syria. We invested countless billions and almost a million lives. And he just hands it all over to Putin.
>>
>>158922
I wonder if it is the president himself that pushed this or someone actually competent, like Mattis?

In any case, it's really bad timing, especially when reports are coming out about that "undisclosed" 2nd meeting he had with Putin and the unraveling of junior's lies. You really have to wonder if they're just dumb or truly compromised.
>>
>>158947
>"undisclosed" 2nd meeting
I love this. The left has truly lost it's mind. They are outraged that two world leaders had a meeting at a meeting for world leaders.
>>
>>158923
TRUMP YOURE ENDING THE FLOW OF WEAPONS TO TERROR CELLS, HOW COULD YOU!!??
>>
>>158947
>"Undisclosed"
Everyone knows about it
>Trump isn't competant
Kek
>>
>>158949
He would have benefitted himself greatly by just coming out and telling us all that he had a second meeting with Putin without an American translator. That the conversation was about X, Y, and Z.

I know you want President Trump to succeed and he can if he is just transparent. Especially, about Russia since there are several investigations under way. When he doesn't disclose things and it comes out it looks as if he has been caught trying to hide something, which is suspicious.
>>
Based
>>
>>158958
I don't want Trump to release transcripts of every call and meeting he makes. It would greatly diminish his ability to make strategic decisions.
>>
>>158953
hahahahahah what? You do realize Trump just signed one of the largest arms deals in history with Saudi Arabia? And you think he's stopping the flow of weapons to terror cells? Lol

ISIS territory in Syria is very limited at this point, this move isn't about weapons to them. There is no purpose to this move except that without weapons backing the rebels will be done and Assad gets to stay which is exactly what Russia wants.
>>
>>158922
He just shifted the program into the arms deal with Saudi Arabia. The "moderate" rebels will still remain well armed with our weapons.
>>
>>158961
stop it with your double line reddit spacing you imbecile
>>
>>158961
Hasn't every single president sold weapons to Suadi Arabia? Hardly something to single him out for.

At least he's stopping the CIA in their government toppling missions. Fuck that.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZwG-auxC8
>>
>>158964
>reddit spacing

damn you got me

>>158967
Every president has sold to Saudi Arabia. That is my point. He is not different when it comes to spreading weapons. He is not "ending the flow of weapons to terror cells," this move is about who gets influence in Syria, which apparently isn't the U.S. anymore. Given that the military is the only budget area he wants to increase, you should expect we will continue to profit off our military-industrial complex by selling to everybody (including ending up in terrorists hands accidentally). I'm with you on the CIA government toppling part though.

>>158960
Please explain how decision making is hurt by transparency? We don't need transcripts of everything but that kind of thinking is how you give the government too much power.

He would not be criticized if he had just disclosed the meeting. Instead he met only with Putin's translator present. Reminds me of when he met with Kislyak/Lavrov with only a Russian photographer present. Why are Russians getting more transparency to these meetings than we are.
>>
>>158976
Apparently he disclosed it to someone because this article exists lol
>>
>>158977
don't be retarded. Trump and WH only admitted to the meeting after the media reported it. Media only reported because head of Eurasia Group talked to sources at the dinner. We likely do not know otherwise. No way to construe that as "he disclosed it to someone."
>>
>>158977
Because they know if they let something slip putin will have there head. Simple as that
>>
>>158964
How do you know what kind of spacing reddit uses?

gtfo you projecting moron
>>
How come /pol/ are the only ones who mention that Assad received 80% of the vote in a more democratic process than ours? That would classify this civil war as a war against the Syrian people. I'm just saying.

Also, to all the people trying to connect this to Russia; Russia is also one of the main countries in the Paris Agreement, so if Trump would all of sudden decide to rejoin it, the neo-MacCarthyite "liberal" media would report "Trump has rejoined the Paris agreement, a move sought by Moscow"? Russia is also in favour of Palestine peace deal, is against death penalty, pro free healthcare and higher education, pro-choice in abortion, against immigration bans/walls -- so all of those possible changes within the USA should be accompanied with "a move sought by Moscow" or "a policy supported by Moscow"?
By the way, notice how all of those policies are progressive, and yet the people of the USA are brainwashed to believe that Putin is a right-winger. Angela Merkel is way more against LGBT marriage and LGBT adoption than Putin. Merkel also backs the Nazis and Communist in Ukraine and is attempting to destabilize Russia, but we are okay with her. On other issues, he is mostly way more progressive than the most of politicians, nothing to do with the right-wing. Yet whenever they make these negative dissertations, they never provide the proofs like good friends should.
>>
>>160013
It's your turn to be a good friend. Provide proofs about all the Putin progressiveness.
>>
>>160013
Do you know anything about the Syrian war?
The voting was only conducted in hard-line, government controlled areas and was boycotted by opposition groups to the Ba'ath party, during the fucking civil war. It's not a "war against the syrian people", but a political stunt to try to foster legitimacy in an authoritarian state. Both the US and the EU claim the election is illegitimate, and the election itself lacked independent monitoring.
Don't forget that the Assadian government provides support, both financially and materially, for terrorist groups in the region.
>Russia is also one of the main countries in the Paris Agreement
That has nothing to do with the issue at hand, considering 194 other nations are also in the Paris Agreement.
Come back to me when Russia has a truly free election, because all your talk about "hurr Putin is actually liberal" is horse-shit.
>>
>>160013
>How come /pol/ are the only ones who mention that Assad received 80% of the vote in a more democratic process than ours?
Maybe because /pol/ are contrarians and provocateurs?

The rest of your post is pretty ridiculous. We aren't the Intercept, you'll have to work harder to divide the liberals against the each other here.
>>
I don't like Trump but I'm glad it's over.
>>
>>160028
Because it's possible that Assad and Russia are actually in the right, and everything we here about them through the media is BS
>>
>>160047

I don't disagree at all; but I don't think the alarm here is alarmism. People aren't as concerned that expert consensus in our government is that our national interest and global interest is best served by changing our strategy. If you think that, you're misidentifying the concern.

When viewed in unique context of every element of evidence of Trump appearing to attempt to appease Putin and the serious suspicion of a quid pro quo between the Russian state and his campaign, this sudden change, made without a convincing explanation and unilaterally by Trump's White House, very much correctly deserves the scrutiny it's receiving.
>>
>>158922
Thank you Based God. See russia-gaters? What you wordspin as "colluding" is in reality good diplomacy
Very relieving to see this news and from the anti-trump slanted WP of all places
>>
>>158922
>President Trump has decided to end the CIA’s covert program
>covert
>>
>>158947
>competent
>mattis

This is a counter deep state move, so no way it's "Mad Dog"
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.