[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Russian Satellite Will Launch In Two Weeks, Will Be The Brightest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1035435999.jpg (45KB, 1000x541px) Image search: [Google]
1035435999.jpg
45KB, 1000x541px
Mayak, a Russian satellite that will become one of the brightest stars in the night sky

Their goal is to make the unique satellite bright with the use of a giant reflective sheet of material, but some scientists are warning that there may be negative consequences.

The satellite is small, roughly the size of a loaf of bread and in the form of a CubeSat. It will be launched on a Soyuz 2.1v vehicle on Friday, July 14, from Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, as a secondary payload. The project, led by Moscow State Mechanical Engineering University (MAMI), raised more than $30,000 on Russian crowdfunding website Boomstarter.

Once in orbit, about 600 kilometers (370 miles) high, the satellite is designed to unfurl a giant pyramid-shaped solar reflector.

But it runs the risk of a backlash from scientific and environmental groups, depending on how bright it is. Some, like Russia Today, have suggested it may shine as bright as the Moon, although that is questionable. Nonetheless, if it is excessively bright, it could cause havoc for astronomers who rely on darkness to observe the universe.

“We fight so hard for dark skies in and around our planet,” Nick Howes, an astronomer and former deputy director of the Kielder Observatory in Northumberland, told IFLScience.

“To see this being potentially ruined by some ridiculous crowdfunded nonsense makes my heart simply despair.”
Skeptics won’t keep the satellite from launching though. Russia will put Mayak in space in about two weeks, on July 14. We’ll have to wait to see just how bright it is and if it’s bright enough to warrant complaints from scientists.

http://www.iflscience.com/space/russian-satellite-could-become-brightest-star-night-sky/
>>
>>153193
It says a lot about the current state of science that we're more willing to fund vanity project sending glorified mirrors (even the project team admits there's no practical scientific purpose) into orbit than actually practical research that could broaden our understanding of the universe.
>>
I hope it burns up during launch, or otherwise gets destroyed.
>>
>>153222
Even worse, because all that investment will have been for nought.

Still, I'm worried about the increasing capability for private satellite launches. In the future, sufficiently funded groups of scientists and engineers will be able to send whatever they want into orbit whenever they want, instead of piggybacking on space agency launch vehicles.

If you thought space-junk was bad now, imagine the carnage of hundreds of thousands of private satellites like this one clogging up the atmosphere. I get the feeling new regulations are about to be written in the near future.
>>
>iflscience
Retard detected
>>
>>153238
Near future being decades from now nobody really cares about space right now to warrant that
>>
Allahu Akbar!
The U.S. must take Monroe Doctrine now.
The U.S. must withdraw American Forces from all Foreign Countries now.
Stop America's doing its all wars now!

I love American99% and the U.S.

China, Germany and Japan must loosen Germany's, Japan's and China's monetary policies now!
China, Germany and Japan must stimulate Germany's, Japan's and China's domestic demands now!
Japan and Germany must issue a lot of construction bond now!
Japan and Germany must reduce Germany's, Japan's and China's taxes now!
The U.S. must tighten its monetary policy now!
As a result, Dollar value will rise!
The U.S. will have trade surplus!

Japan, Germany and China are evil empires.
Islamists' true enemies are Japan, Germany, China, FRB, top1%, Wall Street, American Military Industry and DOD!
Japan is the country which has been promoting Globalization!!!
Allahu Akbar!
>>
>>153193
ahahah good russians constantly fucking with everyone and irl shitposting

gotta love it
>>
>dsfsfsafsafasfasf
aadsfasfafasfaff
>>
>>153248
Haven't seen you in a while.
>>
>>153193
Oh boy, now we're opening the possibility of space advertisements with satellites. They could put a bunch of these fuckers up there and arrange them however they like.
>>
>>153196
stupid meme filters
>>
Remenber 007 Die Another Day?

The Russians had actually planned to put a huge mirror in space to reduce energy dependence and increase production in the harvest fields. In 1993, the space station Mir deployed the Znamya 2 satellite which then deployed a 65-foot mirror that could reflect the sun, its intensity was three times that of the moon. But in this test mission, the mirror lost control and just showed a small flash of light in the sky of Europe before it left orbit and burned. In 1999 they tried it again with an 82-foot diameter, but it failed to deploy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/20bgof/concentrated_solar_energy_the_power_of_the_sun/
>>
>>153193
For what fucking purpose?
This is what the commercialization of space will bring us. Trashing up the planet why not space.
>>
http://i.imgur.com/yFa3oI4.png

coming soon to a night sky near you
>>
>>153196
PIMP
MY
PLANET
>>
>>153196
>even the project team admits there's no practical scientific purpose
Military then?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.