[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

L.A. Will Dump Columbus Day for 'Indigenous People's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 1

File: la-raza-protest-ca.jpg (171KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
la-raza-protest-ca.jpg
171KB, 1024x768px
the L.A. City Council has moved one step closer to replacing Columbus Day with Indigenous People's Day.

a committee unanimously voted to make the change.....vote will go before the full council.

here's the link from the local ABC News affiliate:

http://abc7.com/news/la-moves-closer-to-replacing-columbus-day/2103619/
>>
>>149723
I didn't give a shit, then they insulted Arnie
>>
>>149723
The Confederacy will not stand for such degeneracy of our great holiday. Those liberal bastards will pay!
>>
>>149725
>If approved by the city council, Los Angeles would join such cities as Seattle, Minneapolis, Berkeley and Santa Cruz in replacing Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day.

Little late to the party, kid.
>>
>>149723

I prefer Vinland Saga Day over both of these options. Oh hell, Discovery of America Day where we talk about all the different people who figured out America was a thing. I've heard people claim Egyptians, Romans, and Chinese sailors found the Americas in the BC era, would be fun to have that under further scrutiny or discussion.
>>
Go ahead. Nobody really gives a fuck over Columbus day except for Italians.

Indigenous Day sounds more interesting and fun for the kids, tbh.
>>
>>149723
Just stupid shit to make people who haven't done anything worth note in their lives lean in the celebration of their race and ancestors
>>
>>149734
Never really could enjoy it due to some of the awful shit he and colonialists did. At least with the new holiday, there might be some cool exhibits on native life.
>>
>>149741
are you talking about the injuns or the white power groups? personally i'd prefer a day celebrating the people that historically lived on on the land instead of the guy that wasnt even the first european to find it but just made it popular to colonize.
>>
>>149723
Good.
>>
>>149745
touring a spanish galleon or whatever the fuck they used would probably be more fun than looking at wicker baskets in a wigwam
>>
>>149747
White power, black power, all the same

People have such massive boners for their skin color/ ethnicities these days
>>
>>149723
#FuckColoumbus

Really dough fuck him
>>
>>149772
Hey, you don't even know the guy
>>
>>149723
Good, Columbus barely did anything of note besides make a shitty fort that ultimately failed in the Caribbean. It should've always been Amerigo day or Lief Erikson day or even this thing they're doing, anything but worshipping this failure of a genoan.
>>
>>149723

>indigenous

Indians came from Asia
>>
>>149787
What did indigenous people do? What would they still be doing if it weren't for these explorers?
>>
>>149747
There's like a stupid notion that native Americans were really cool awesome people.

I had a whole conversation with a NA a while back. He straight up admitted most native tribes we're fucking disgusting. Like rape, killing, stealing, balls to the wall insanity. A few outliers were decent. Most were not.

Americans, especially whites, have this romantic notion that indigenous people were basically saintly environmentalists that chose a socially conciencious livelihood with the spirits and shit. It's a fucking meme.
>>
>>149727
Liberal here, I would be ok with this.
>>
what about leif erikson day

he visited from Europe but didn't subjugate anyone
>>
>>149799
there's also like a stupid notion that colombus wasn't a documented piece of shit. that notion will have had a federal day of celebration for 80 years this october.

last time i or anyone else checked literally all human societies were filled with raping killing and stealing. you are holding disdain against native americans because of a romanticism that was invented by europeans.
>>
>>149821
I don't romantisize society. You celebrate the exceptional and the worthy, and typically those are platonic ideas and notions
>>
>>149824
columbus was neither exceptional for his voyages nor as worthy as many of his peers were for credit.
>>
>>149827
If that's the way you feel then noones stopping you
>>
>>149818
Yeah but he was white and his countrymen at home were busy trying to subjugate all of fucking Europe.
>>
>>149818
Hinga dinga durgen! But in all seriousness, he actually already has a holiday in October.
>>
>>149828
It's not an opinion, it's an objective fact. There was nothing remarkable about Columbus or his feats other than the fact that we for some reason celebrate him today as some kind of heroic figure when in reality he was a murdering, thieving, rapist and sex-trafficking slaver who never even set foot in North America.
>>
>arrive at new world
>make friends with a tribe
>ship gets wrecked
>have to leave crew behind
>come back
>crew left behind were murdered
>friendly tribe has been attacked and dispersed
I am sure a cuckold like you would do nothing about this, but any reasonable human being would eliminate the threat.
>>
>>149849
>make friends* with a tribe
>*enslave them and extort them for their gold

>I am sure a cuckold like you would do nothing about this
neither did he, besides becoming a lackluster tyrannical governor of a different territory
>>
>>149857
>*enslave them and extort them for their gold
not with that particular tribe
>>
>>149796
Take another look at that post, did I mention indigenous people in my rant against Columbus?
>>
>>149824
>>149827
>>149845
Columbus was looking for India and grossly micalculated the size of the Earth. Had there been no continent between Europe and Asia, his whole crew would have perished. If we want to hail a naval genius, we should all agree on Horatio Nelson
>>
>>149900
>Columbus was looking for India

Then how did he know he'd discovered America then?
>>
>>149910
He probably figured it out somewhere between trying to brew the local tea and discovering it was actually tobacco
>>
>>149910
initially he probably didn't, but after he got a few hundred miles inland and the climate was entirely different and there were no indians and also no ships of any imperial power nearby he probably started to suspect it.
>>
>>149900
I prefer Leif Erikson.
>>
>>149910
why do you think we call natives "indians"
>>
>>149910
He actually insisted he was in Asia even after several trips back to the Americas, even though several people realized he was wrong, because he was dumb.
>>
>>149723
Why not make a New World Day instead?
>>
>>149900
I'm actually really curious about how Columbus managed to talk Ferdie and Izzy into funding his trip when presumably their own scholars would have told them he was dead wrong. Was it all just a prank? I mean, they did give him three shitty little boats and that doesn't sound like a serious investment.
>>
Genghis Khan, the Aztecs and many others were also ruthless conquerors. No one denies Columbus was like them.

The question is why Columbus is singled out with such zeal and hate by leftists and minorities.
>>
>>150340

It's very simple: Columbus got a federally recognized day in America; Genghis Khan did not.
>>
>>149910
Columbus died thinking he had arrived to asia lol
>>
>>149900
>Horatio Nelson
Uhhh... so he fought some naval battles and won. That's not the same as navigating uncharted territory by far.

>Leif Erikson
Sure, Greenland is technically North America. The Norse navigators who hit Canada have no name yet though, and in the latter case there were no permanent shock waves of their exploration sent through Europe or the Americas, unlike with Columbus.

Indeed, the reason why Columbus's name is invoked need not be to revere or revile him, but merely recognize that in 1492 humanity changed forever, and a 10k-year gap was rebridged. No family living in the Americas now more than a century lacks some trace of both indigenous and Euro (and Afro for that matter) blood.

But if you want better navigators, try DaGama, Francis Drake, or Magellan.
>>
>>149749

Longhouses sound comfy as fuck, and aesthetic.
>>
>>150468
>Greenland is technically North America.

It very much is north America. Most people who live there are Inuits who speak Greenlandish and not some Scandinavian language. Nordic people who live there are a minority.
>>
>>150410
Genghis Khan got a huge statue in Mongolia but I don't see you going over there to protest
>>
>>149723
Sounds pretty cool.
>>
>>150528

>statue nowhere near the United States of America
>"why aren't Americans going over to protest in someone else's business?"
>"why aren't Americans going over to protest something they have no power to change?"

Seriously what don't you understand? These people are protesting against something that's sufficiently close to home that it affects them directly and they have the power to change. People in general tend to protest for shit within the US (or their home country) as opposed to outside the US (or home country): one affects them and they can change it through political protest or other means, the other could be worse but it doesn't affect them and it is much harder to organize power to change it.

For instance, what exactly do you think Americans protesting in Mongolia will accomplish? The Mongolians don't care: American citizens can't affect their policies at all since they're not Mongolian citizens and Americans also don't represent that much economic interest in Mongolia. Meanwhile, those same efforts within the US actually pay off to change the name of a day. Once Genghis Khan gets a statue in America then you can expect people protesting in America. Until then, nobody in America will really care (not that I think anyone really cares about this Columbus Day controversy shit to begin with, it's just a loud enough minority that politicians throw them a minimum-risk bone that doesn't affect anything for free votes).
>>
>>150583
your logic is irrefutable.
>>
>>149724
Yea really

>I think unregulated borders is not a good idea

HOLY SHIT LITERALLY HITLER!
>>
>>150583
>>150660
>Once Genghis Khan gets a statue in America then you can expect people protesting in America.
>your logic is irrefutable
You don't understand my logic. Genghis Khan is just 1 example of a ruthless leader, there were many others like him and I am sure you can find statues of them in the US.

It is obvious moral outrage isn't their motive.
>>
>>150708

The only "ruthless leaders" that have statues in the US are Confederate generals, and wow look people are protesting those statues, in addition to roads and buildings that carry their name (there's like a million "Lee/Jackson" roads and buildings in Virginia alone). There are protestors trying to get buildings renamed that were originally named after people who were known racists. There are people trying to remove Jackson from the 20 dollar bill because he was an ass to Indians (famously ignoring the Supreme Court to do so). Hell there are people getting mad at a Patriotic War (Russian WWII) statue in the Russian Orthodox graveyard my grandfather is buried in because they believe it glorifies Stalin. There are people getting outraged by all sorts of shit all the time, the reason you don't hear about it is because it's minor shit or only affects people in a small, local area. This is why this Columbus Day shit makes the news, because it applies to all Americans since it's a federal holiday, and you will never hear about the Russian statue because it only affects the patrons of that one graveyard.

>It is obvious moral outrage isn't their motive.

It is, but as you can expect different people have different criteria for moral outrage. Some people are never offended (most people on this website), other people read too much into shit and get offended by everything (these Columbus Day dudes), and finally there are those that have specific topics they get mad about because they are particularly close to them. In the Russian statue issue, everyone who's mad about it is from the Soviet Union and lived under Stalin's regime, and as such have a different opinion on what a statue to the Patriot War means than a 2nd generation Russian-American who was born when the USSR fell. Just because somebody has a low tolerance and gets offended by dumb shit doesn't mean it isn't their motive, they're just too busy being offended at shit they know about than things they don't.
>>
>>149723
Silvio Dante would not be happy with this.
>>
>>150716
>The only "ruthless leaders" that have statues in the US are Confederate generals

Tecumseh Sherman has a statue in Central Park celebrating his career massacring Plains Indians and Southern civilians.

William McKinley has multiple statues around the place, despite his brutal repression of Filipino people during the American occupation of their country,

James K. Polk has multiple statues, especially in the Southwest, which he invaded due his belief in Manifest Destiny and the right of America to kill Mexicans and Natives and take their land.

You are a retard.
>>
>>150758
Natives should've invested more on campuses instead of holy sites, they got wrecked
>>
>>150758

In case my post didn't make it obvious, I live on the edge of the south where there guys don't get statues, which comes back to my original point: it's too localized to drum up national news about it. CSA memorials are a way bigger topic of debate here, nobody cares about the Columbus Day garbage. Plus:

>Tecumseh Sherman
>key general in ending the civil war

>William McKinley
>US President

>James K. Polk
>US President

Each of these men has some positive or historical note that keeps their negatives in balance. These are the same arguments for keeping Confederate memorials up, but their balance is further into the negative which makes them more likely targets. And there probably is somebody complaining RIGHT NOW about the legacy of these men (lord knows some southern folks won't shut up about how Sherman was literally worse than Hitler, Mao, and Stalin combined and multiplied by a factor of 10), but it won't gain traction because there's still more low hanging fruit to go after.

This is really all it comes down to, these people are going after things that are obvious, such as the Confederacy and Columbus, because there's a high probability that a large number of people know about them and why they should be considered negative. Polk and McKinley get lost in the sea of unknown presidents (because let's face it, the average American only remembers a handful of presidents from before their time) and Sherman gets overshadowed by Grant and Lee. It's hard to organize protests against memorials of these individuals, not just because they aren't as well known, but because their legacy is more grey than some others.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.