[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Students demand firing of professor who objected to asking whites

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 0

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/05/26/students-demand-firing-professor-objected-asking-whites-leave-campus/
JOHN SEXTON
Bret Weinstein, a biology professor at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, was surrounded by a group of student protesters Wednesday after he wrote an email objecting to plans for a Day of Absence.

In the past, the Day of Absence has been a day where black and Latino students leave campus to highlight their significance on campus. This year students wanted to change the format. Instead of leaving campus themselves, they wanted white students and professors to leave campus, thereby creating a safe space for the students left behind. Professor Weinstein objected to that format and wrote and email saying he would not be leaving campus and encouraged others not to do so.

“There is a huge difference between a group or coalition deciding to voluntarily absent themselves from a shared space in order to highlight their vital and under-appreciated roles (the theme of the Douglas Turner Ward play Day of Absence, as well as the recent Woman’s Day walkout), and a group or coalition encouraging another group to go away,” Weinstein wrote. He continued, “The first is a call to consciousness which is, of course, crippling to the logic of oppression. The second is a show of force and an act of oppression in and of itself.” Weinstein added that he would not participate and added, “On a college campus, one’s right to speak—or to be—must never be based on skin color.”

Student protesters decided that email was racist and a firing offense. They gathered at Weinstein’s classroom and began shouting at him and, eventually, demanding he be fired or resign.
>>
Reminds me of China's cultural revolution.
>>
>>Weinstein
>>white
pick one
>>
So a professor being literally as un-racist as possible is now labeled as racists by liberals. Charming, really charming. But remember, just ignore them, never speak out against them and they will go away, they have no real power yada yada and should you be so inconsiderate to call them out prepare to lose your job and have your life ruined. So progressive!
>>
>>144086
It's really funny to me when people rant about "white privilege" ect aside from the fact that it doesn't exist is that they always ignore the fact that it's Jews overrepresented in every area.
>>
At this point I consider liberals/leftists to be a greater threat than isis. Just look at the deaths the blacklivesmatter rhetoric had caused.
>>
>>144065
meanwhile the asians continue to ignore racial politics and score 4.0s
>>
>>144107
white liberals really are the most despicable people on the planet.
>>
>>144065

modern leftism is insane
>>
>>144065
>>
>>144065
The funny part about this is that the predominant groups threatening / chastising him are white liberal students - not the minority groups

White liberals see themselves as the social order of pious knights that protect the weak and oppressed minority groups, in reality they treat minorities like less capable pets
>>
So a committee of maybe a dozen or so students come up with a stupid idea, and then a couple dozen more students yell at a professor for calling it a stupid idea.
Truly a sea of madness we are awash in.
>>
>>144771
Only a few dozen are enough to get someone fired or declared not safe on campus grounds by the local police.
>>
>>144778
you can say i told you so when he actually does get fired
>>
>>144690

Can the melodramatic teenagers please leave or at least make the conversation sound more like dialogue instead of an edgelord script out of a high fantasy film?

I know 4chan is not the place to have "le epic high quality discussion" but I was hoping /news/ would try to make a SEMBLANCE of an effort to talk about news.
>>
>>144790
There was nothing wrong with that post.

You're just a liberal. Trying to save the world by bitching as usual.
>>
>>144791
Hello, /pol/. I see everyone who doesn't agree with your every opinion is now a liberal.
>>
>>144794
People who defend liberals are most likely liberal

I'm willing to take the chance.
>>
>>144794
Also its the fact that the post is complete bullshit attempt at manipulating is a dead giveaway.
>>
>>144790
Not an argument, better luck nextime
>>
>>144086
jews are honorary whites now
hitler just used them as a scapegoat. he didnt fundamentally hate jews
>>
>>144802

There was no argument to begin with nimrod, just a self-affirmation post going on a /pol/ tier dialogue rant with some apparently omniscient level insight into the heads of alleged other people.
>>
>>144796

Then don't be surprised when people call you out for jumping to conclusions.
>>
>>144825
Why is it always pol tier diologue? Why can't it just be someone who thinks different?

It was an observation about leftist SJWs and apparently you took offense to it somehow and had to let everyone know
>>
>>144065
Stop enabling these people. The more you cave the more places these happen. You need tomatoes expelling them.
>>
>>144794
Most lunatics tend to be?
>>
>>144825
So making an observation based on a trend and common Sense are now /pol/ tier?

I guess pol was right again.
>>
>>144856

I am going to clear up this conflict: /pol/ is an idiot board for babies, and /news/ is an idiot board for babies. Everyone here on all sides of every argument is wrong in some important way.
>>
>>144087
The professor is a liberal who helped create this monstrosity. Hopefully they beat him to death.
>>
>>144690
Can you actually prove the majority there shouting at him were white?
>>
>>144065
>Student protesters decided that email was racist
wew
>>
>>144860
No, don't you dare make false equivalences with the opinions of rational people on this board and /pol/ agitators and trolls. No one in their right mind thinks firing the professor for exercising his right to free speech is a good idea, but ranting about liberal boogeymen when society is now governed by the conservative is just plain stupid.
>>
Evergreen student here. This shit happens weekly on campus, privileged white kids protesting racism to cope with white guilt at a school that's 90% white with a 90% acceptance rate. It's funny to watch this particular incident go viral and seeing everyone's reaction to Evergreen, especially since I have taken many classes with Bret Weinstein and know him personally
>>
>>144065
>hotair.com
>>
>>144790
What in the post was false?
>>
>>144065
Hmmm maybe white privilege should pack up their wallets and leave. I'm pretty sure Academia world likes their cushy lifestyle. If they are intellectually unable to grasp that singling out a person based on the amount of melanin in one's skin pigmentation is a form racism, then they don't deserve to be accredited, or receive taxpayer funded moneys of any form. Let them receive private donations by those who want apartheid Campuses.
>>
>>144882

Facebook video in link, all white and one black student. I'm pretty sure the school itself is like 67% white

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4546704/Professor-called-racist-asked-resign-students.html
>>
>>145083
http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/29/students-furious-over-release-of-video-depicting-them-going-berserk-at-college/
>>
olol
>>
>>144065
What the fuck is wrong with usa universities, why don't you have commies and fascist like normal people
>>
>>145201
This doesn't actually happen everywhere. Accredited institutions with primary focuses in math and engineering get the annual speech about "Women in Stem" and not much else. Its universities with Gender/Race/Sexuality/Nationality Studies that typically deal with this nonsense. Most of these students will go nowhere after becoming nobodies with $40,000 of debt and blame capitalism or the patriarchy or whatever vague shape-shifting entity is keeping them from success.

>http://evergreen.edu/institutionalresearch/alumnisurveyoneyear

less than 30% of the art students (that is, 30% of the 30% of graduating art students who even answered the survey) are employed in their fields. The somewhat slice of that pie chart typically means they consider working at the DMV somewhat applicable because they see black people sometimes after getting an African Studies degree. Not literally an African Studies BA, that would require a course plan (http://evergreen.edu/registration/degrees). The place is a degree mill churning out heavily-indebted idiots. About 20% of the students there get a useful degree, part STEM and part graduate programs for teaching and Pub Admin. The stem field doesnt fair much better, because according to alum surveys only 39% go anywhere with their degree. The biggest complaint at the bottom of the survey is actually the low incomes they earn after graduation
>>
>>145212
>This doesn't actually happen everywhere
yet. but it's only a matter of time before it does because people can't simply ignore the crazies these days.
>>
God I wish I did a useful scientific study like IT instead of studying fucking renaissance history.
>>
>>145083
First link is mostly white kids having a heated discussion but they don't seem to be yelling at any teacher specifically
Second link is vast majority POCs shouting a slogan in front of @ a faculty member / LITERALLY SHAKING in some discussion

Did you actually watch either of those?
>>
>>145218
That can lead to a cushy museum gig tho
>>
>>145236
Either way it's stupid
>>
>>144690
Find the videos on YouTube.

It is not just white liberals doing this. Nor is it even majority white.
>>
>>144964
Whhats he like?
>>
>>144065
I agree with him. I read his email and there was nothing racist about it. In fact, he was totally right, making a day where all white people have to go away so the minorities can "feel safe" is the most batshit crazy idea i have heard this year. It is fundamentally backwards and provides no forward growth for anyone. Even the normal "Absence day" tradition was fucking retarded if you ask me. But nobody was complaining about having a day where all minorities had to leave. We'll pretend we miss me though! Bret Weinstein did nothing wrong.
>>
>>145541
>miss me
sorry I meant "miss them"
>>
>>144065
>college students
Ah, the age where suddenly you think you know it all because you took some classes.
>>
>>144794
>Everyone who doesn't agree with your every opinion is now a /pol/.
>>
>>145431
Either way it's stupid
>>
Sounds like a good day to give a test. You don't show up F. You pay for an education you go to class. I went to college to learn not play games based on race or sexual preference. I pay my tuition and that gives me the right to go to class. I pay for the class and the professor needs to show up.
>>
>Evergreen State College

No offense, but we're not exactly talking about the pinnacle of academia here, are we?
>>
DONALD TRUMP IS AN ELEPHANT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5evk-Yu338&feature=youtu.be
>>
Evergreen State faculty demand punishment of white professor who refused to leave on anti-white day

He provoked ‘white supremacist backlash’

Bret Weinstein was driven off campus to teach because the campus police said they weren’t allowed to protect him.

Now the white biology professor might be driven off campus under Evergreen State College’s own disciplinary process.

More than 50 professors at the public college – nearly a quarter of faculty – have signed a statement as of Friday afternoon calling themselves “angry and frustrated and concerned” by the backlash against students and the university.

They demanded Weinstein be punished for his response to students who cornered him and called him racist after he refused to leave campus on the anti-white “Day of Absence”:

Demonstrate accountability by pursuing a disciplinary investigation against Bret Weinstein according to guidelines in the Social Contract and Faculty Handbook. Weinstein has endangered faculty, staff, and students, making them targets of white supremacist backlash by promulgating misinformation in public emails, on national television, in news outlets, and on social media.

The Social Contract, however, would seem to validate Weinstein’s response, which was largely critical tweets, a Wall Street Journal op-ed and media interviews. Its second paragraph, which is bolded:

A central focus of those [Evergreen] values is freedom—freedom to explore ideas and to discuss those ideas in both speech and print; freedom from reprisal for voicing concerns and beliefs, no matter how unpopular. It’s this freedom that is so necessary in a vibrant, dynamic learning community.

Faculty seem to be referring to sections further down that Weinstein allegedly violated:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/32946/
>>
The individual members of the Evergreen community are responsible for protecting each other and visitors on campus from physical harm, from personal threats, and from uncivil abuse. Civility is not just a word; it must be present in all our interactions. …

All members of the Evergreen community should strive to prevent the financial, political or other exploitation of the campus by an individual or group.

The statement is being circulated by Julie Russo, whose expertise is “media studies, gender & women’s studies, sexuality and queer studies,” and Elizabeth Williamson, whose expertise is English literature and theater studies, according to a Friday listserv email from Russo obtained by The College Fix.

At the request of a staffer who received the email, Russo added a “staff in solidarity” section for staffers who want to sign. Fewer than 20 staff have signed so far.

The rest of the statement calls on President George Bridges, who is white, to fulfill the racial demands of students who surrounded and belittled him and wouldn’t let him urinate in private.

It says whites on campus “who have power within the institution … bear a particularly large share of responsibility” for “the racist actions of others,” and faculty must “honor and live up to the demands” of student protesters.

They pledge to participate “actively and self-critically” in unspecified “mandatory trainings” each year, which seem to be race-related: “Holding each other accountable when we act in racist ways against our colleagues or our students, according to shared language and understanding developed in the trainings.”

Evergreen State College faculty and staff call for punishment of Biology Prof. Bret Weinstein by The College Fix on Scribd
The statement applauds Bridges for not punishing student protesters under the “misguided language” of the student conduct code:
>>
We vehemently reject the claim that students have been violent simply because they have been loud and emphatic. There is a difference between exercising the right to freely voice an opinion and inciting violence—and that difference has nothing to do with volume or forcefulness. We support the demands made by students and honor the positive institutional change they have already achieved through their protests.

Their “most urgent demands” that don’t involve punishing Weinstein:

Center student perspectives in a persistent media approach to counter the alt-right narratives that are demonizing Evergreen and Day of Absence specifically.

Take seriously the threats made to individual community members [apparently not including Weinstein] and use all available institutional resources to protect them.

The Fix has asked the administration for comment on the faculty statement.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.