[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Giant Waves on a Lava Lake the Size of Wales Seen on Jupiter’s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

http://gizmodo.com/massive-lava-waves-detected-on-jupiter-s-moon-io-1795088666

http://www.space.com/36788-lava-waves-jupiter-volcanic-moon-io.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/giant-waves-lava-lake-size-170002492.html

>A rare cosmic alignment has allowed scientists to observe a never-before seen phenomenon on Jupiter’s volcanic moon Io—two huge waves sweeping across the surface of a lava lake the size of Wales.

>Io is the most volcanically-active object in the whole solar system. It is the innermost of Jupiter’s Galilean moons—the four largest of the planet’s 64 known moons—and has the highest density of them all.

>Changes to the brightness of Io’s surface have been documented for almost 50 years and in 1979, when NASA’s Voyager 1 and 2 flew past, scientists realized this was due to volcanic activity on the moon.

>One spot in particular stood out—a region named Loki Patera after the Norse god, Loki.

>The patera—a bowl-shaped volcanic crater—brightens every 400 to 600 days and there is an ongoing debate about what causes it. Either it is a massive lava lake being churned up, or regular and massive eruptions causing lava to flow over a huge area.
>>
>Scientists led by Katherine de Kleer, from the University of California, Berkeley, have now taken advantage of a rare cosmic alignment between Io and Europa (Jupiter’s icy moon) that allowed them to isolate the heat coming from the volcanic moon’s surface—and work out what is causing the observed changes.

>In an email interview with Newsweek , de Kleer explains why Io is so volcanically active: “Io's volcanic activity is powered by tidal heating: Io is locked into an eccentric orbit because it's in an orbital resonance with the other satellites Europa and Ganymede [Jupiter moons]. Because of its eccentric orbit, the gravity it feels from Jupiter changes during its orbital period (which is only 1.8 days), which causes friction in its interior that is so strong it melts portions of the mantle, generating magma.”

>But volcanic activity is normally difficult to observe. That is until the rare alignment of Io and Europa gave scientists to peer down on the moon and obtain a detailed map of its huge lava lake.
>>
"Wales" is a unit of measure?
>>
>>139006
Yes, 8,016 sq. mi. for the Americans.
>>
>>139008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_units_of_measurement#Wales
>>
>>138842
>there is an ongoing debate about what causes it.
They don't even know if it brightens! Astronomy is just a theory, I call Conspiracy! Where's my tin foil hat and my Bible?
>>
>>139008
Wtf is a 8,016 square miles wave?
>>
>>139337
couldn't a wave be described as a bulge/displacement of water/whatever
>>
>>139337
>>139349
title is ambiguous and didn't read the article:
Are the waves the size of Wales, or is the lava lake the size of Wales?
>>
>>138842
Are we sending Wales there?
>>
>>139394
Star Trek whale meme.jpg
>>
>>139411
SouthParkWhaleOnMoon.png
>>
>>138842
I DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE YOUR FAKE ASS COMPUTER GENERATED SPACE PICTURES

I don't need fake shit to get science.

>people aren't listening to us
>There's a HOLE in the ozone layer scary right
>>
>planets are big but nobody gives a fuck
>COSMIC ALIGNMENT and and we can SEE LAVA WAVES... well not really but check out this computer model instead :]
>>
>>139417
Why are you angry?
>>
>>139420
Because science is ruined by political hacks and clickbait whores

Kids today are looking at photoshopped polar bears thinking "wow i fucking love science." No, you love fake feel good shit.
>>
>>139422
Are you Welsh?
>>
>>139422
>>139419
>>139417
If you were to see the actual NASA images of Io, it would be quite boring.
Because I'm so nice, I took the liberty of finding one for you.
https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/opo9537a/
Now that's an exciting picture if I've ever seen one. Such an attention grabber! Notice how in the first picture, the blurry white spot is WAY smaller than in the second image. Pretty cool, right? Go science!

Seriously, you're just looking for a reason to get upset. Take your blood pressure medication and go back to watching Seinfeld, grandpa, or you might have another stroke.
>>
>>139747
>I took the liberty of finding one for you.
Thanks.

I disagree that it's boring. I can see the change and it looks quite dramatic.

What a crap planet. Go The Earth!
>>
>>139767
>it looks quite dramatic
Seconding this. Io is one of the most dynamic objects in the solar system. It totally refreshes its own surface due to tidal heating in a very short time comparitvely. If you want boring there are plenty of other objects which haven't changed in millions if not billions of years. Hell, there are other moons of Jupiter that are much more static.
>>
Yeah, what's going on with Io is pretty cool, I agree. But the point is, for the average pop science article, it's more useful to use a CGI or artist's rendition of extraterrestrial objects, because people have short attention spans and usually look for pretty pictures before they read an article. A blurry Hubble photograph isn't going to cut the mustard, unfortunately.
>>
Actually, if anybody is curious, this is a more recent image of Io, with a captioned explanation of how the color filter was achieved. Pretty neat stuff! And it's a fairly hi res image.

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA02308
>>
>>139852
>a captioned explanation of how the color filter was achieved
I don't see that.
>>
>>139864
>Original Caption Released with Image: NASA's Galileo spacecraft acquired its highest resolution images of Jupiter's moon Io on 3 July 1999 during its closest pass to Io since orbit insertion in late 1995. This color mosaic uses the near-infrared, green and violet filters (slightly more than the visible range) of the spacecraft's camera and approximates what the human eye would see. Most of Io's surface has pastel colors, punctuated by black, brown, green, orange, and red units near the active volcanic centers. A false color version of the mosaic has been created to enhance the contrast of the color variations. The improved resolution reveals small-scale color units which had not been recognized previously and which suggest that the lavas and sulfurous deposits are composed of complex mixtures (Cutout A of false color image). Some of the bright (whitish), high-latitude (near the top and bottom) deposits have an ethereal quality like a transparent covering of frost (Cutout B of false color image). Bright red areas were seen previously only as diffuse deposits. However, they are now seen to exist as both diffuse deposits and sharp linear features like fissures (Cutout C of false color image). Some volcanic centers have bright and colorful flows, perhaps due to flows of sulfur rather than silicate lava (Cutout D of false color image). In this region bright, white material can also be seen to emanate from linear rifts and cliffs.
>>
>>139885
Thanks, I am blind.

Io is the worst or best moon? Hard to say.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.