[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

>Facebook's secretive advertising practices became a little more public on Monday thanks to a leak out of the company's Australian office. This 23-page document, discovered by The Australian (paywall), details in particular how Facebook executives promote advertising campaigns that exploit Facebook users' emotional states—and how these are aimed at users as young as 14 years old.

>According to the report, the selling point of this 2017 document is that Facebook's algorithms can determine, and allow advertisers to pinpoint, "moments when young people need a confidence boost." If that phrase isn't clear enough, Facebook's document offers a litany of teen emotional states that the company claims it can estimate based on how teens use the service, including "worthless," "insecure," "defeated," "anxious," "silly," "useless," "stupid," "overwhelmed," "stressed," and "a failure."

https://arstechnica.com/business/2017/05/facebook-helped-advertisers-target-teens-who-feel-worthless/

Original, behind a paywall:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/digital/facebook-targets-insecure-young-people-to-sell-ads/news-story/a89949ad016eee7d7a61c3c30c909fa6
>>
This isn't news

I just means that anyone paying attention to algorithms wouldn't be surprised by this. Specially facebook.
>>
I just want the 23 page leak.... let us read it.....
>>
>>136074
Oh no, you mean Facebook as a company prays on its user base to make money from sponsors by specifically targeting people who show signs of being emotionally weak and more susceptible? No way! I had no idea Facebook was so shifty. And here I just thought they censored political views and news they don't agree with.

Damn my opinion of Facebook has really changed with this.
>>
>>136074
a tech company using sentiment analysis to target users for advertising? inconceivable.
>>
>>136092
>>136136
>>136178
many people still have not grasped the dramatic increase in targeted marketing in the last few years, especially teenagers online. Many are probably unaware they are even being served ads at crucial times in their lives (from people getting their first job, to looking for a profession, to many other notable and exploitable events if you wanted to push something).

I used to talk to people on a daily basis about tech (I was some shitty tech store employee in retail years back) and many said they loved google maps. I asked them if they didn't mind the ads, and they said time and time again "what ads?"

We're on a long road to inevitable regulation here. No one cares about paid advertising for searching for 'Restaurants' or 'Tennis rackets.' Those are not the issue. People are going to start caring about searches like "Im depressed," "How to get a raise," "is X a scam?"

Unfortunately companies like Facebook/google have created fantastic social networking sites worthy of the 21'st century. And they act much like infrastructure does. They are a fast paced, proprietary utility. What we need is a more open API that can work with different business and organizations, but we don't always get the best solution, and funding something like that would cost users directly. So instead we opt for unethical companies. Do we regulate them like a utility? Create a gov. alternative that works half as well? Not regulate them at all and allow citizens to be preyed upon by smarter people? There are no great solutions.
>>
Teens are worthless. If companies want to sell them pygmy marmosets or soapstone carvings of beetle penises and use Facebook to do so why the fuck should I care?
>>
>>136074
>Depressed? Have a Pepsi!
The internet was better before the jews hooked their noses into it.
>>
Jesus-fuck... the world has a litany of problems, but oh-no lets expend our energies and brain power with advertising. :^/

Advertisers are scum... I feel no guilt when I vandalise billboards, ads, etc. Hell, I even tossed a hitchiker out of my car in the middle of no where one night when he described in detail how he was developing a spam ad site.
>>
>>136224
more likely

>Depressed? Here is an expensive pill that will solve all your problems
>>
>>136187
There are no ads in Google Maps you nutjob.
>>
>>136210
everybody goes through a teenage period unless they die very young.

teens are literally our future.
>>
>>136337
They aren't important until they're adults with real world experience though. No one should care about the opinion of some sixteen year old. Hell, your brain isn't fully developed until your twenties so I'm not convinced teens should even have rights.
>>
>>136340
and adults are shaped greatly by experiences in their teenage years.

we all make shitloads of mistakes and act like complete retards during our teenage years, but how we treat our teens is important.
>>
>>136336
Not yet, wait two months
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2017/04/google-ceo-ads-coming-to-google-maps/
>>
>>136395
>turns on adblocker

pssh, nothing personnel kid
>>
>>136336
when you search restaurant or hotel, what pops up? Ever notice how some stuff gets highlighted on the sidebar as the first result(s), or pops up as some big blip while other stuff is minuscule dots or missing altogether? What shows up when you're zoomed all the way out in your area? You're not watching a commercial dumbass, they're controlling where you're allowed to go.

You are the idiotic teenager we're all talking about in this thread. People are getting so dumb they don't even realize when they are being peddled.
>>
>>136224
Yeah, it was better when it was
>Depressed? Heres instructions on exit bags!

But yeah, in all seriousness its pretty predatory to go after moody teenagers with manipulative advertising.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.