[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UW study: First modern case of "river piracy" observed;

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

http://www.washington.edu/news/2017/04/17/retreating-yukon-glacier-caused-a-river-to-disappear/

http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/uw-study-first-modern-case-of-river-piracy-observed-global-warming-blamed

>Scientists have witnessed the first modern case of what they call "river piracy" and they blame global warming. Most of the water gushing from a large glacier in northwest Canada last year suddenly switched from one river to another.

>That changed the Slims River from a 10-foot (3 meters) deep, raging river to something so shallow that it barely was above a scientist's high top sneakers at midstream. The melt from the Yukon's Kaskawulsh glacier now flows mostly into the Alsek River and ends up in the Pacific Ocean instead of the Arctic's Bering Sea.

>It seemed to all happen in about one day - last May 26 - based on river gauge data, said Dan Shugar, a University of Washington Tacoma professor who studies how land changes. A 100-foot (30-meter) tall canyon formed at the end of the glacier, rerouting the melting water, Shugar and his colleagues wrote in a study published in Monday's journal Nature Geoscience .

>The term "river piracy" is usually used to describe events that take a long time to occur, such as tens of thousands of years, and had not been seen in modern times, especially not this quickly, said study co-author Jim Best of the University of Illinois. It's different from something like the Mississippi River changing course at its delta and it involves more than one river and occurs at the beginning of a waterway, not the end.
>>
>The scientists had been to the edge of the Kaskawulsh glacier in 2013. Then the Slims River was "swift, cold and deep" and flowing fast enough that it could be dangerous to wade through, Shugar said. They returned last year to find the river shallow and as still as a lake, while the Alsek, was deeper and flowing faster.

>"We were really surprised when we got there and there was basically no water in the river," Shugar said of the Slims. "We could walk across it and we wouldn't get our shirts wet. It was like a snake-shaped lake rather than a river."

>What had been a river delta at the edge of the Slims River had changed into a place full of "afternoon dust storms with this fine dust getting into your nose and your mouth," Best said.

>The lack of water in the Slims wasn't because of changes in rainfall, Shugar said. They know that because it's a river fed mostly by glacial melt, not rain, and the Alsek increased in amounts similar to what disappeared from the Slims.

>The Kaskawulsh glacier covers about 9,650 square miles (25,000 square kilometers), about the size of Vermont. The front of the glacier has retreated nearly 1.2 miles (1.9 kilometers) since 1899, Shugar said.

>The scientists calculate that there is only a 1 in 200 chance that the retreating glacier and river piracy is completely natural without man-made global warming. They used weather and ice observations and a computer simulation that models how likely the glacier retreat would be with current conditions and without heat-trapping greenhouse gases.

>Several outside scientists praised the study as significant and sensible.

>"This is an interesting study and reconfirms that climate change has large, widespread and sometimes surprising impacts," Pennsylvania State University glacier expert Richard Alley, who wasn't part of the study, said in an email.
>>
I clicked on this thread expecting river bandits robbing rich cruise boats. You wrote a check the climate alarmism can't cash.
>>
>>133522
lol science
>>
Nature should all be converted into cities anyway.
>>
You wouldn't download a river
>>
>>133538
Californians tried to do just that for the last couple of decades. Oregonians told them to go screw themselves.
>>
>>133497
>expected to read something about Somalia 2.0
>it's actually a "metaphor"

I sincerely came here thinking it was going to be an article on current year's crime scene.
>>
>>133497
>Global Warming blamed
Fuck your anti-industrial commie propaganda.
>>
>>133632
t. /pol/
>>
>>133522
Sticking your fingers in your ass and going "lalalalalalala" doesn't mean that climate change goes away, it just means that you're fingering yourself.
>>
>>133818
But the rate that it's changing is the problem, not that it's changing.
>>
>>133820
You can't prove that human activity isn't affecting the climate. If nearly every country has a significant number of motor vehicles which expel harmful gases and factories that expect even more air pollution, how the fuck can you say it doesn't affect our atmosphere?

Did you not go to science class? Did you forget what happened during the industrial revolution?
>>
>>133821
>If nearly every country has a significant number of motor vehicles which expel harmful gases and factories that expect even more air pollution, how the fuck can you say it doesn't affect our atmosphere?
>Did you not go to science class? Did you forget what happened during the industrial revolution?

Fucking liberal myths.
>>
>>133832
Only in America.
>>
>>133820
>There's nothing unusual about the current rate of change.
You have just made any further opinion of yours irrelevant.
>>
>>133522
This. And then halfway through the article I was hoping that someone had at least diverted the river intentionally, how disappointing
>>
>>134033
>I don't have any argument

The state of climate denialism
>>
>>134053
>I mock you.

Case of communist libfag.
>>
>>134215
You can't be racist against a religion anon.
>>
>>134215
GTFO and KYS
>>134197
>>134199
>>134200
Speaks the truth.
>>
>>134231
According to whom?
>>
>>134253
Read the fucking source libfag.
>>
>>134254
What is a libfag?
>>
>>134257
about 75% of americans under 30
>>
>>134257
Every single good for nothing, tree hugging, social justice parasites that leech off of the greats.
>>
>>133538
Underrated
>>
>>134199
From that same article.

>The beneficial impacts of carbon dioxide on plants may also be limited, said co-author Dr. Philippe Ciais, associate director of the Laboratory of Climate and Environmental Sciences, Gif-suv-Yvette, France. “Studies have shown that plants acclimatize, or adjust, to rising carbon dioxide concentration and the fertilization effect diminishes over time.”
>>
>>134197
Not sourced, instead it had this bullshit statement

>Supporting references. This brief was written in 1998. References to the voluminous scientific literature that supports the many factual statements of this position paper may be found on our website - www.co2science.org - which we update weekly.

Top fucking kek
>>
>>134261
We need more suicide in this country. Just fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>134199
So dumb I have to assume you're joking. Scientists have known since the fucking Victorian era that co2 is a greenhouse gas.
>>
>>134581
Borderline retarded comments like this are why /news/ has become so cancerous lately.

All I wanted to do was check out a discussion on global warming, see what a bunch of anonymous minds with different information could come up with.

Instead I see this retard coming into a thread about science and complaining about people using scientific facts to support their points.

That's enough for me to say, fuck this site.
>>
>>134588
Welcome to 4chan:

were the freedom is born.

You liberals aren't welcome here: go back to urbanville you hippie.
>>
>>134591
>>134593

Boys, this is the reddit enemy.
>>134588

As you can see, he(female) has no respect for freedom, for anonymity, or opposing views.

If he(female) cannot accept these simple and uncomfortable fact, then he(female) must derided for what he is:

Traitor to all sane and rational people, who do not wish to be controlled by the (((media))), and (((scientists))).
>>
>>134597
Opposing views are fine on shit that's subjective. It's absolutely retarded to tolerate shit that is objectively, provably wrong. I think we should err on the side of caution and find a nice wall to throw all you conservative useful idiots against.
>>
>>134598
You're still here? This site has already made clear it is not your hugbox. You have been rejected liberal scum, you and your ilk aren't welcome here.
>>
Damn, this is confusing:

I can't even tell who's rational anymore.

It's a war between Order and Chaos; Freedom vs. Oppression.

It won't be long until Capital Fascists and Social Anarchists burn /news/ down to the fucking ground.
>>
>>134588
>>134597
B

A

I

T

Dumb
>>
>>134600
I agree, which is the overall problem with /news/: it should've been a debate board.

Everything is news depending on who it affects; so why bother creating threads that can be discussed on any other boards. Instead, we should use this to have debate on certain controversial topics; welfare, environmental protection, civil rights, culture, and other issues. We got /sci/ for Global Warming, and /pol/ is now a place were they act like their political parties are superior.
>>
>>134605
>I don't believe in the political spectrum.

Go here: https://8values.github.io
and post the result.

I bet you're a capital fascists.
>>
>>134609
Then why do you think that Liberals are the only threat to the human race?
>>
>>133538
kek'd

but it's not big news in the sense that Lake Eerie is a big piracy heaven by hillbillies.
>>
>>134581
and what exactly did you provide?
>>
>>134599
>This site has already made clear it is not your hugbox. You have been rejected liberal scum, you and your ilk aren't welcome here.

wow and you got dubs. You are so cool
>>
>>134599
>this website isn't a hugbox, we support freedom of thought here
>now please go, you don't follow /pol/ groupthink and it's hurting my feelings
lel
>>
>>133497
>>It seemed to all happen in about one day
That would be an impressive sight.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.