[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leader of ‘Cal-Exit’ Drops Bid for California to Secede,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/leader-cal-exit-drops-bid-california-secede-instead-moves-russia-n747706

>SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Supporters of one long-shot bid to make California an independent nation ended their effort on Monday, while another group said it will launch a new campaign for a statewide vote next year.

>The drive to make the nation's most populous state its own country, with what would be the world's sixth-largest economy, has drawn extra interest after last year's election of Republican Donald Trump as president.

>But the Yes California Independence Campaign faltered after its president, Louis Marinelli, revealed ties to Russia. Marinelli said in a lengthy message to supporters Monday that he is seeking permanent residence in Russia because of his "frustration, disappointment and disillusionment with the United States."

>The secretary of state's office confirmed that Marcus Ruiz Evans, the group's vice president, withdrew the California Nationhood ballot measure.
>>
>Evans said he was leaving the Yes California group and joining the California Freedom Coalition, which he described as a grassroots organizing effort that evolved since last year's election.

>The coalition plans to file its own ballot measure in coming weeks, without the baggage of Marinelli's Russian ties, said Steve Gonzales, the new group's secretary-treasurer and board member.

>"It prevented Yes California from getting any serious money, I can tell you that," Gonzales said, noting that he is a native Californian who has never been to Russia. The group will accept no foreign money, and contributions from other states must be cleared by the coalition's board, he said.

>The coalition would need to collect more than 585,000 signatures to qualify a ballot measure declaring California's independence for the November 2018 ballot. The measure is still being written, Gonzales said.

>Congress and 38 states would have had to agree to change the U.S. Constitution to permit California to actually secede.

>Marinelli said Yes California had fewer than 97,500 registered supporters. About 8,500 signed up as volunteers, but only about 1,200 had contributed money.

>Prior to Trump's election, the group had fewer than 100 volunteers, Marinelli said, and the group received a social media boost with Trump's election.
>>
> Marinelli and Evans said California's overwhelming support of Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and measures legalizing recreational marijuana and reducing crime penalties showed how far California voters were removed from the rest of the nation.

>They also equated the movement to last year's decision by the United Kingdom to leave the European Union, dubbed Brexit. California, with its 39 million residents, is often compared to a nation.

>Their withdrawn ballot measure would have allowed voters to repeal a part of the state Constitution saying that California is an inseparable part of the United States next year, but left the question of whether California should become a separate country to a future ballot.

>Both Marinelli and Evans claimed credit for starting the Calexit campaign.

>Marinelli cited his struggle with U.S. officials since 2012 over his wife's immigration status. He praised California officials for their attempts to shield immigrant residents from deportation and said his wife now has her green card.

>When California one day becomes independent, Marinelli wrote, "I shall look forward with great satisfaction to return to California and to live once again under our bear flag."
>>
>>133262

Fuck russia. They will try to play us against ourselves so that the US is left weakened. They want to be the world's superpower so bad, they're still angry they lost the Cold war. We must not fall for their commie tricks.
>>
>>133262
>wah i don't like Donald trump
>let me move someplace with an actual dictator that is worse than Donald could ever possibly be
Literal retard
>>
>>133262
This is such a fucking stupid idea on so many levels. Now the conspiracy theorist side of me is wondering about useful idiots.
>>
>>133262
and people still think there's no connection between the Left and Communism.
>>
>>133328
I don't think you get the 'exit' part of this. The guy was a nationalist Trump supporter, not a liberal.
>>Prior to Trump's election, the group had fewer than 100 volunteers, Marinelli said, and the group received a social media boost with Trump's election.
>>
>>133262
Is't Russia the most un-left you can go?
>>
>>133283

>I don't like states that spy on their people!
>Snowden moves to Russia

As far as I can tell, hypocrites love moving to Russia (or a third-world state) and then bitching about the corruption of the free world.

>>133321

Russia has been obviously playing the game of weakening the US by supporting any campaign across the political spectrum that it believes will hamper US capabilities. Had Clinton won the election, they would no doubt have been funding the inevitable Texas secessionist campaign to break up the US, thereby reducing its manpower, resources, and prestige. Similarly, they have supported both left and right wing parties in Europe, selecting those that would break the EU in order to force more favorable trade with Russia. It wouldn't surprise me if they are found to have connections with both the Brexit movement and the Scotland secessionists, despite at first glance seemingly to be contradicting goals (Scotland wants to secede to stay with the EU, Brexit was about leaving the EU) they all fit into the umbrella of weakening the western power structure.

Anyone who thought that Putin was on their side is a fool, he's only on his own side, which means anything that could break up the US/NATO/EU as a superpower has his support.

>>133332

I don't think your argument holds, everything in the article clearly indicates he doesn't like Trump and was hoping to rallying Clinton supporters to back his stupid measure. Your quote better indicates that Trump's victory rallied anti-Trump people rather than pro-Trump people.
>>
>>133379
Russia is an expansionist oligarchic religious ethnostate; so yeah, except for the whole genetic superiority angle, they're basically commies in a different outfit.
>>
>>133328
>>133379

The Cold War called, communism in Russia has been dead for a quarter century. Now it's a crony-capitalist haven with significant dashes of authoritarianism and a light sprinkling of social conservatism (mostly to support the other two elements). This is hardly a place an American liberal wants to go; hell this isn't even a place an American communist wants to go. (I'm amused these guys still exist, apparently they control zero federal or state positions and have a party membership of 5k, which is a mere .0015% of the population. For comparison to another small party, the Libertarian party controls 2 state seats and has a membership of 500k, .15% of the population. Meanwhile, the major parties control nearly all federal and state positions with 41-43% of the population identifying as Democrat and 39-42% identifying as Republican.)

Hell, even the other big communist powers like China have severely diluted the communist system to authoritarian capitalism. Even small players like North Korea are communist in name only, it's really just a third-world dictatorship with the visual trappings of the old communist order.
>>
>>133375
He was a Russian shill, Anon. He was also Pro-trump.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/26/calexit-meet-the-founders-of-californias-separatist-movement/
>>
>>133397
Can you read, anon? Try >>133264
>>
>>133411
It's you who can't read, Anon.
>Evans, 39, briefly hosted conservative talk radio shows in his native Fresno.

>In an interview this past week, Evans wouldn’t say if he voted for Trump, but he insisted that he doesn’t fit the bill of a right-wing radio blowhard.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/26/calexit-meet-the-founders-of-californias-separatist-movement/
>>
"United we stand, Divided we Fall"

as a non american, I guess we would not be calling your country "UNITED" anymore
>>
>>133436
It's not like a large portion of the country is still resentful about the Civil War/Civil Rights or anything.
>>
>>133438

but does Your Constitution can prevent this from happening? How can a mere single person or let's say some people,overruled such decree?
>>
>>133441
Many people only talk up the Constitution when it benefits them, and even then, there's tons of different interpretations to the Constitution like Originalism, Literalism, LCT, etc. Even if the states could succeed, what about all the federal resources and property sunk into them. Do the states get those, or is it theft?

As much as some people might want another Civil War though, it's not possible because the divide this time is between cities and rural areas rather then geographic areas. Cities would almost certainly side with the government if a state succeeded, so good luck running things when your capital is still mostly loyal to another sovereignty.
>>
Americans are so uneducated
they don't even know what "States rights in the constitution" are. CA is already a sovereign state
>>
>>133576
The SCOTUS ruled in 1869 that no state had a legal right to secede without an act of Congress.
>>
>>133443
the world is done with its leftwards swing - I sense an era of great order and prosperity coming when the streets run red with the blood of liberals and their families
>>
>>133700
The pendulum started swinging the other way after Brexit, Anon. Trump barely squeeked by while it was still possible. LePen is too late.
>>
>>133700
Whatever mate. It's not like the last time you tried to have a go at the Yankees that things kinda went tits up. And you know, being an edgy asshat hurts your movement in the long run. Acting like ISIS just turns neutral and cowardly actors into guys willing to fight to the death, especially since Westerners are nowhere near as submissive or receptive to brutal authority as the average Muslim citizen.
>>
>>133702
LePen has a pretty good shot at it. It'd take a miracle for her to get parliament though, which means she won't have the authority to do a few of her promises like strip citizenship away from immigrants.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.