[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FCC auctions off 70mhz of prime radio spectrum to wireless for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: max[1].jpg (44KB, 468x355px) Image search: [Google]
max[1].jpg
44KB, 468x355px
http://www.fiercecable.com/broadcasting/broadcasters-score-10b-from-fcc-s-spectrum-auctions

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/04/14/19-8-billion-airwaves-auction-may-mean-better-cell-service.html
>The biggest spenders in the Federal Communications Commission's $19.8 billion auction were T-Mobile with $8 billion, satellite TV company Dish at $6.2 billion and Comcast with $1.7 billion.
>The nation's airwaves regulator ran the auction to help wireless networks keep up as people spend more time on smartphones. The biggest bidders in the last auction, in 2015, were AT&T ($18.2 billion) and Verizon ($10.4 billion).

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2017/db0413/DOC-344397A1.pdf

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2017/db0413/DA-17-314A2.pdf

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/noncoms-fccs-post-auction-repack-threatens-debilitating-disruptions/164907
>In all, 30 stations will move to a lower channel and 133 others will give up their licenses but will remain on air through channel-sharing agreements with non-winning stations.In all, 30 stations will move to a lower channel and 133 others will give up their licenses but will remain on air through channel-sharing agreements with non-winning stations.
"channel sharing" = taking over blocks of programming time on someone else's already existing TV channel
>>
tl;dr over-the-air broadcast TV in America is over soon, this is the proverbial 'writing on the wall'. The frequencies that were assigned in the mid 20th century are more valuable to other companies for other purposes now.
>>
I know a method of organization is required to minimize interference, but the concept of selling vibration ranges is still hilarious
>>
HEY YOU KIDS STOP VIBRATING AT MY FREQUENCY
>>
>>132137
Shirley MacLaine is that you?
>>
>>132036
Good. The need for over the air TV went out with the landline. For the vast majority of people there's just no tangible point anymore.

>>132136
Chipotle sells poison burritos and their stock trades for over $450 a share. Nothing in the world makes sense.
>>
>>132174
>The need for over the air TV went out with the landline
It's a public service. Now more than ever people can't afford the cableTV. I know it's hard, but imagine that there are people who still get news and information more from television than the internet, especially older people.
>>
>>132207
The world moves on. You can't keep supporting obsolete tech forever.
>>
>>132249
It isn't obsolete. You won't find a more efficient means of mass communication, internet included. People don't check facebook as often or for as long as they watch TV.
>>
>>132251
>It isn't obsolete
You're quite right. As micro-processor power grows real time compression will allow hundreds of digital channels in a very small range of frequencies.
I wouldn't be surprised if one day wired connections for TV ans Internet are abandoned complete

>>132249
Local TV using traditional methods is also good for a vibrant local economy.
Stories about local events with adverts at prices that local businesses can afford.
Of course Big Media would like to see these destroyed.
>>
>>132036
>The frequencies that were assigned in the mid 20th century are more valuable to other companies for other purposes now.
OTA analog TV ended in 2009. It's all digital frequencies now.
>>
>>132591
There is no such thing as a "digital" frequency. Analog or digital information can be transmitted on any frequency. When the digital conversion happened in 2009 the Television stations gave up part of the UHF spectrum. (52-59 mhz, 76-88 MHz, etc.) to cell phones (3g), which forced many channels to move, change names, or just reassign their frequencies. Now with this move by the FCC they are forcibly selling off (reassigning as they call it) much more of the spectrum for cell phones (5g) while forcing many of these competing TV stations to share channel space.

For conservatives supposedly against government interference, it's surely not a free market solution to favor one particular industry over another and force the auctioning off of television frequencies to cell service providers, to say nothing of how much money in fees the government is getting out of this deal.
>>
>>132621
Thanks for educating me. My mistake!
>>
>>132136
its the simplest idea all along
>>
Kelkkk
>>
>>132621
>it's surely not a free market solution to favor one particular industry over another and force the auctioning off of television frequencies to cell service providers

Sure it is, fewer and fewer people are using over-the-air broadcast tv, while more and more people are using cell phones to do the same thing.

I haven't had cable tv for going on 10 years now, so I've just got a set of rabbit ears hooked up to the tv in the living room and let me tell you; there is NOTHING on broadcast tv nowadays, it's a wasteland of ancient reruns and infomercials until prime time in the evening, when the Big Four broadcast networks desperately try (and continue to fail) to lure some kinda an audience away from cable tv and the Internet.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.