[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trump's FCC reverses 2013 proposal to allow cell phones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 635617526129880382-ppavp[1].jpg (71KB, 580x1031px) Image search: [Google]
635617526129880382-ppavp[1].jpg
71KB, 580x1031px
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/04/10/the-fcc-is-reversing-its-proposal-to-allow-cellphone-use-on-planes/

>Federal regulators are withdrawing a proposal that would have allowed air travelers to use their cellphones at high altitude.

>The proposal — introduced in 2013 by then-chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, Tom Wheeler — sought to roll back a long-standing regulation that banned the use of cellphones on planes over concerns that cellular signals could interfere with pilot radios. New advances in in-flight communications have minimized those concerns, Wheeler argued at the time, a trend that meant the ban could be lifted.

>Under the proposal, passengers would still have been required to keep their phones turned off or on airplane mode during takeoff and landing, but they could have switched on their connections at cruising altitude.

>The decision Monday to reverse the proposal came from Wheeler's successor, Ajit Pai. Calling the plan “ill-conceived,” Pai said in a statement that he did not believe it served the public interest.

>“Taking it off the table permanently will be a victory for Americans across the country who, like me, value a moment of quiet at 30,000 feet,” Pai said. He did not elaborate on why he chose this moment to act.

>The proposal was initially met with public backlash, particularly from trade groups representing pilots and flight attendants. Many opponents argued that relaxation of the ban would result in passengers disturbing one another with noisy phone calls, and Wheeler was effectively forced to abandon the issue for the remainder of his term.
>>
>The Consumer Technology Association, which supported the proposal, declined to comment. The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, which opposed the proposal, welcomed its demise.

>"The FCC is making the right decision not to pursue lifting the ban on in-flight calls," said Taylor Garland, a spokesman for the labor union. "The traveling public and crew members do not want voice calls on planes."

>Asked whether the union also took a position on the use of cellular data on planes, Garland said "due diligence requires a thorough assessment of the potential security risks… and mitigation of any risks."

>While most consumers may have difficulty getting a cellular signal at 30,000 feet, changes in technology are increasingly enabling the use of cellular networks in the air. Communications satellites, drones and even lasers have been proposed as ways to get connectivity to hard-to-reach areas. This could ultimately mean more competition against in-flight WiFi, which is often derided as expensive and slow.

>Had Wheeler's proposal been approved, it would have fallen to individual airlines to decide how and when to equip their planes with equipment to support in-flight cellular service. In a testimony before Congress, Wheeler said that the Federal Aviation Administration would work on crafting a rule to address voice calls on planes. The FAA had previously ruled that it is safe to switch on small electronic devices during all phases of flight, provided the devices are on airplane mode.
>>
Who cares
>>
>>130989
Anyone who flies on an airplane and wants to use their cellphone.
>>
Good, I'm all for this, I don't want to want to listen to some asshole yell into phone complaining about his business trip......
>>
I do understand that people having loud conversations could be annoying, but i imagine that individual airlines could pass rules about that. Plus, let's not forget that planes used to have phones attached to the backs of seats. Simply not having the option to use your phone data or service in the air feels very outdated. Further, it's no surprise that airlines are excited about the withdrawal of this as they get a juicy cut of the in-flight WiFi.

>“Taking it off the table permanently will be a victory for Americans across the country who, like me, value a moment of quiet at 30,000 feet,” Pai said.
As someone who actually enjoys doing work on flights it is very annoying that I cannot use the internet nor communicate with colleagues. Just because this guy likes to be able to get away from BBM for 3 hours shouldn't mean that everybody travelling in the country is barred from using their phones.
>>
>>131015
>>131008
This has nothing to do with loud conversations. People text more often than talk nowadays.

This instead has more to do with airlines wanting to keep their monopoly on expensive in-flight satellite wi fi, but you won't hear them talking publicly about this.
>>
>>130989
Why would you even come into this thread if you have nothing of value to contribute? Thesetypes of posts genuinely baffle me
>>
your phone doesn't even fucking work up there it doesn't reach the signal towers those fucking tards.

source i fucking did it and it fucked my phone up too.

Only got signal 5-10 minutes after take off and before landing
>>
Well, this is good for the handheld Vidya industry right? Or are they considered similar enough to a phone? I haven't owned a handheld in many years
>>
How retarded. I used my phone on board an emirates flight and sent some texts over bangalore. No harm and only cost me standard roaming rates
>>
>>131471
They use satellite equipment on board to establish a hot spot. Emirates and a few other airlines do it
>>
>>131018
I don't care about that monopoly, if you can't rip your fingers away from your phone for a few hours without having a panic attack, than maybe you should drive everywhere
>>
>>131471
>he didn't read the article
>>
>>131626

some of us have work to do and don't want to pay 25 dollars for an hour of internet when my carrier already covers me
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.