[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Judge says blind man can sue McDonald's over drive-thru-only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

File: College kids will find a way.jpg (66KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
College kids will find a way.jpg
66KB, 800x600px
>A blind man from Louisiana wants the fast-food giant to come up with another solution for those who physically can't drive through a drive-thru.
>Scott Magee, who is blind, filed a lawsuit in May alleging that only offering service to customers in cars at drive-thru windows when the interior of the store is closed is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. A federal judge in Chicago ruled Wednesday that despite McDonald's attempts to have the case dismissed, Magee can go forward with the suit, which seeks class-action status.
>"Most Americans have the experience of driving through a drive-thru and ordering for themselves," said Roberto Luis Costales, the New Orleans-based lawyer representing Magee in the case. "That's an experience Mr. Magee doesn't have."
>Many McDonald's locations operate only as drive-thrus late at night as a security measure. The suit says that cuts off service to disabled customers, like Magee, who don't drive.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-mcdonalds-blind-man-drive-thru-lawsuit-0217-biz-20170216-story.html
>>
Maybe he should sue the car companies for not making cars that can be driven by his guide dog
>>
>>112527
Or he should sue Trump for not having Jesus powers and curing him. Perhaps we should all sue each other for not yet living in the paradise perfect world that we each promised the other.
>>
>>112524
I always thought this was silly. Why would it matter if you were on foot if you are a paying customer? Its not like you're causing any sort of inconvenience. Only seems to be mcdonalds that does this. I went through a tim hortens and burger king drive through on foot just fine.
>>
>>112527
to be fair they're working on it, and in <5 years we'll have self driving cars for the blind
>>
>>112536

I always figured it was a liability issue, like if some drunk pedestrian got bonked by a car in the drive thru the restaurant would be fucked

You're right though it's a pretty dumb rule
>>
>>112524
I guess the guy was having a Big Mac attack.
>>
>>112532
Of course Trump should pay! He was annoited by jesaus christ himself! He descended upon Lord Trump annoited him in his holy juices to be the savior for us all!!!!
>>
>sue McDonalds for not being able to eat McDonalds
>win
>eat loads of McDonalds
>become obese
>sue McDonalds again for letting you eat so much McDonalds

It's genius!
>>
>>112524
I wonder if this is another coffee incident where McDonald's is in the wrong again and just pushing a narrative that this is stupid.
>>
>>112524
fuck me sideways now I also get to check my fatfuck drive through privilege.
>>
>>112524
>"That's an experience Mr. Magee doesn't have."
yeah, no shit. he also can't experience the beauty of a sunset but you can't go suing the sky over that. fucking degenerates
>>
>>112641
Yes you can. You are free to sue whoever and whatever you want for whatever reason you please. Freedom nigga
>>
>>112673
I should have said "shouldn't" but yeah, our courts have to hear plenty of bullshit suits because we allow anyone to bitch and moan and tie up resources. I'm disappointed the judge agreed to allow the case to proceed, but I'll admit that fast food places are dicks when it comes to not letting people walk through a drive-thru to order. I've never received a decent or consistent explanation for why they don't let people do that. Seems like that's the best compromise in a situation like this
>>
>>112674
someone already mentioned above. i could totally see someone in a car winding around the corner of a drive thru after ordering and running over a pedestrian paying at the window, especially at night, the time that a pedestrian would most likely to be using the drive thru as the inside is closed.
>>
>>112675
if i can walk through a parking lot without getting run over then i can walk through a drive-thru.
>>
>>112676
a parking lot and a drive thru are totally different situations and you know it

first: the driver is expecting you, they aren't expecting you at the drive thru window
second: you generally aren't making a tight turn around a building directly into where someone may be standing at the window waiting for their order
third: you're walking through the parking lot, not loitering in the middle of it

plenty of mcdonalds have walkways passing through their drive thrus for their pedestrian customers to walk on, walking isn't the problem, it's leaning up against the drive thru window in the middle of the night when a driver isn't expecting you coming right around a corner.

of course many places don't have those blind corners, but most do.
>>
What next? Blind people suing cinemas?
>>
>>112690
i see people cross through drive thrus all the time since they're right in between the parking lot and the restaurant.

the most commonly given reason for a person not wanting to serve walk up customers in a drive thru is the safety of the employee. my friends and i have attempted it dozens of times throughout high school and college at a variety of places and that was the number one answer. i'm not sure the exact reasoning (i suppose it has something to do with a pedestrian being right at the window and able to reach in) but no employee or manager ever mentioned a customer's safety.
>>
it is a shame because this guy will most likely get a nice settlement out of court because mcdee's will not want the publicity or the hassle of this guy.
>>
What, you're legally entitled to McDonalds now?
>>
Have you ever tried to go to though a Taco Bell drive through @ 2am when you are wayyy to wasted to drive, (or even bike for that matter) they won't fucking serve you. Fuck them you should be able to walk through a fucking drive through.
>>
>>112794
I used to be able to and nobody bat an eyelash, then they put up those fucking signs saying they can't serve walk-through customers.
>>
>>112551
That will be the times.
>No your honour, I didn't kill me abusive alcoholic husband, somthing went wrong with the car and it decided to drive straight through the wall and into living room where my husband passed out drunk last night.
>I am a good driver! I don't known why my car decided to do 120km/h near a school but it wasn't me speeding!
>>
>>112532
Wtf, I hate Trump now!
>>
>>112810
> implying young people pay ANY attention to the road whatsoever
> implying ~50% of the drivers are not just fiddling with their phones, texting, browsing facebook while driving

... I fucking believe a LEGALLY BLIND PERSON would break sooner than these fucks.
>>
>>112693

Cinemas (the major ones at least) actually have headphones that blind people can wear that describe what's going on onscreen.
>>
>>112641
I love this. And I love you.
>>
>>112673
But also this. Hahah
>>
>>112524
it's this kind of shit that makes me lose faith in the justice system.

people use it for petty bullshit and the judge is so wrapped up in legalese non-sense with his head up his own ass that he goes along with it
>>
>>112524
In other words he doesn't care if drunks come into mcd's late at night and one of them kills a kid working there. They have a right to reasonable protection from night-scum drunks and homeless people with nothing to lose. I've seen many selfish and angry disabled people. I've seen mentally-stunted people call other mentally-stunted people "retard." Bad people are sometimes handicapped or slow too. Some of the milk it for all it's worth.
>>
>>112981

no he's not asking for that
>>
No it's not a case for courts. He should be happy we didn't have him aborted. Fucking leach on the system he should do us all a favor and kill himself.
>>
Well I guess it's farewell to my late night fast food cravings.
>>
easiest solution would be to put a cross walk leading to the food window
>>
really, he should wake the fuck up. he can't let people sue whoever they want because the economy is in the toilet right now and they may not have as much $$ as they'd like!!! Cuck!
>>
>>113126
all of this
>>
>>112641
Guys...
Mr.macgee is a cover for...
Get ready...
>Mr.magoo!
>>
>>112536
For the record, a Wendy's didn't let me walk through
>>
>>112524
Most American fucking headline in history. Fat fucks, fast food and fast bucks (litigation).
>>
>>112524
Ask someone else to get it for you because you're fucking blind.
Was that so hard?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.