[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

$8.5 Billion U.S. Counter Narcotics Effort in Afghanistan Boosts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1

File: Afghanistan poppy field.jpg (174KB, 650x434px) Image search: [Google]
Afghanistan poppy field.jpg
174KB, 650x434px
http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2017/02/8-5-billion-u-s-counter-narcotics-effort-afghanistan-boosts-opium-production/
FEBRUARY 09, 2017

$8.5 Billion U.S. Counter Narcotics Effort in Afghanistan Boosts Opium Production

The U.S. government’s multi-billion-dollar effort to counter narcotics in Afghanistan is a humiliating failure that’s resulted in a huge increase in poppy cultivation and opium production. Despite the free-flow of American tax dollars to combat the crisis, opium production rose 43% in the Islamic nation, to an estimated 4,800 tons, and approximately 201,000 hectares of land are under poppy cultivation, representing a 10% increase in one year alone.

Uncle Sam’s embarrassing counter narcotics effort is part of a broader and costly failure involving the reconstruction of Afghanistan. More than $100 billion have been dedicated to help rebuild the war-torn country and much of it has been lost to waste, fraud and abuse not to mention corruption. The drug initiative is a recent example, documented by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) in a quarterly report to Congress. The document is painful to read because it goes on for 269 pages, but Judicial Watch created a link for the counter narcotics section, which is around 19 pages and includes informative charts, graphs and the latest available statistics.

cont.
>>
>>109890

As of December 31, 2016, the United States has spent an astounding $8.5 billion for counter narcotics efforts in Afghanistan since 2002, the report reveals, making it clear that the cash will continue flowing. “Nonetheless, Afghanistan remains the world’s leading producer of opium, providing 80% of the global output over the past decade, according to the United Nations,” SIGAR writes. The watchdog includes statistics from the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime (UNODC) confirming a 10% increase in the amount of Afghan land that was under poppy cultivation between 2015 and 2016. Despite Uncle Sam’s generosity, poppy eradication results were the lowest this decade, the watchdog states. “No eradication took place in the biggest opium-growing provinces because of the grave security situation,” the report reveals, noting a steady rise in production and cultivation in the past decade. “Eradication efforts have had minimal impact on the rise in illicit opium cultivation.”

cont.
>>
>>109891

This, of course, translates into a large increase in opium production—43% in a year—the watchdog reveals, to an estimated 4,800 tons. “The reported production increase reflected the larger area under cultivation, higher yields, and lower eradication results.” Part of the problem, U.S. authorities say, is that between 2.5 and 3 million Afghans are drug users and the country lacks sufficient treatment centers to address the growing drug-abuse problem, particularly for women and children. American cash hasn’t put a dent on that problem either. A State Department branch known as the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL) doled out $12.9 million in 2015 for drug treatment and education programs in Afghanistan and has allocated millions more despite past failures. INL also funds a scandalous, multi-million-dollar program called Governor-Led Eradication (GLE) that pays provinces for the cost of eradicating poppies. Between 2008 and 2016 INL disbursed $4.6 million, according to the SIGAR.

cont.
>>
>>109895

Afghanistan reconstruction has been a huge debacle that continues fleecing American taxpayers. Judicial Watch has reported on the various boondoggles over the years, most of them documented in tremendous detail by the SIGAR. Highlights include the mysterious disappearance of nearly half a billion dollars in oil destined for the Afghan National Army, a $335 million Afghan power plant that’s seldom used and an $18.5 million renovation for a prison that remains unfinished and unused years after the U.S.-funded work began. Among the more outrageous expenditures are U.S. Army contracts with dozens of companies tied to Al Qaeda and the Taliban. The reconstruction watchdog recommended that the Army immediately cut business ties to the terrorists but the deals continued. Another big waste reported by Judicial Watch a few years ago, involves a $65 million initiative to help Afghan women escape repression. The government admits that, because there’s no accountability, record-keeping or follow-up, it has no clue if the program was effective.

FIN
>>
You cant have a war on the poor, err drugs!, if the drugs dont show up; see record low opium harvest in 2000 & resulting American invasion in 2001.
>>
>WAR ON DRUGS
>WAR ON TERROR
America fucking sucks at war
>>
>>110002
You're misreading what those terms actually mean.
>>
Why the fuck does the US try so hard to suppress drugs? Let people consume what they want, you anti-fun niggers
>>
>>110052
>Let people consume what they want...

But then they couldn't beat down the drug addicts so they can feign superiority; especially when they go home and drink (drug) every night.
>>
>>110002
>America fucking sucks at war
I almost bit hard
>>
>>110052
>Make drugs illegal, allowing sellers to sell them for greater prices
>Arrest users, free slave labor in prisons, prison paid for by tax payer money, crewed by private companies

Profit.
>>
>>110052
>>110265
Pretty much this. The CIA does more drug running than any cartel on Earth.
>>
>>110244
>America sucks at ending wars
That better?
>>
>>110512
Should have said "winning wars"
T. Vietnam
>>
>>110644
ey, that wasn't america that was mostly lyndon johnson's refusal to use the b52

you have 500 of these fucking things within range of hanoi

erase
fucking
hanoi

war over

vietnam was such a fucking shitshow, and the more i learn about it the more i realize that fact

america could have won that fucking war inside 3 months, no fucking joke, ENTIRELY WITHOUT THE ARMY

AT LEAST SIXTY B-52
SEVERAL WINGS OF TACTICAL BOMBERS
IN RANGE OF THE ENEMY'S CAPITAL WHERE MUCH OF THEIR SUPPLY NETWORK IS, ALL OF THEIR LEADERSHIP IS, ALL OF THEIR INFRASTRUCTURE IS

instead johnson just does literally fucking nothing for 3~ fucking years while the enemy builds up a SAM ring around the capital, infiltrates more vietcong fucks into south vietnam, diversifies their supply chain, receives tons of missiles from china/russia, expands their operations, trains their army etc. fucking etc.

REEEEE
>>
>>110657
if they just committed to it in the first place

This was the whole problem, sitting around for years after dien bien phu

Hilarious in hindsight, I wonder if people will view the war on terror like this in a hundred years
>>
>>110672
the whole fucking problem i guess was that johnson & kissinger both figured that "uncle ho" would care about the lives of his own people, so they kept suspending the bombing missions for "peace offensives" which the entire NV leadership just took as signs of weakness.

if you care more about the lives of the enemy's leadership than the civilians of your allies and the lives of your pilots there's no way you can win a fucking war. commies don't give a fuck about the lives of their own people, so regardless of how many you kill they will never surrender. the only thing you can do is cut the head off the serpent, and if it's replaced you negotiate with the new head, and if they refuse to surrender you cut the head off again, and you repeat it until some second lieutenant is the top of the chain and he decides to surrender. bombing the fucking jungle to kill a bunch of people the commies don't fucking care about avails you absolutely nothing.

the problem with living in a functional high trust society is you tend to actually trust people. uncle ho & his comrades were a den of fucking vipers that should have been eradicated in the first bombing missions, and the whole thing would have been over in three months.

jesus.
>>
>>110726
Has there ever been such an asymmetrical conflict as the Vietnam war? It's got to be pretty far up there. I can't help but notice the arrogance and short-sightedness of the us military leadership, where they let a country which had basically been at war for hundreds of years prepare to fight before actually getting into it
>>
>>110797
i don't think so, especially in the early phases, where hanoi and north vietnam were essentially undefended; it wasn't until years later that the SAM ring around hanoi became threatening, and the north vietnamese air force was reinforced by russian-made MIG-21s.

all they had to do was mine haiphong harbor, and it would have been over. the whole war was just ridiculous. a relatively tiny fraction of the air force could have won the war single handedly, had the political will been there.
>>
>>109890
>The U.S. government’s multi-billion-dollar effort to counter narcotics in Afghanistan is a humiliating failure that’s resulted in a huge increase in poppy cultivation and opium production.
>The U.S. government’s multi-billion-dollar effort to counter narcotics in Afghanistan is a humiliating failure
>a humiliating failure
>humiliating failure
>failure
>>
>>111308
I honestly can't tell what you are trying to say
>>
DUDE OPIUM LMAO
>>
>>110512
These are wars that are designed to not have an end.
>>
>>111723
>starting wars without an end goal
>>
>>111800

The war is the end goal.
>>
>>111804
>an ineffective war is the goal
>>
I hope all the white people die
>>
>>111871
chaos/disorder in a region can be a goal when you have alternative gains in mind
>>
>>111889
>goal is to disrupt narcotics production
>narcotics production increases dramatically
Money well spent I see

But do go on, tell me all about how creating chaos and disorder in Afghanistan is part of some eighth dimensional chess game
>>
>>111890
War is deception.
>>
>>111898
Like pottery
>>
>>110269
Shut the fuck up

fuck off back to /x/
>>
>>111899
Read a fuckin' book, would ya?
>>
>>111905
I've read the art of war faget, try not quoting it when the war effort fails

>attempt to curb opium production
>opium production far ahead of where it was
>>
>>110002
>>110244
>>110512
>>111800
>>111804
>>111871
>America is war
>the war is the goal
>the goal is the war.
>the war is the war.
>the goal is the goal.

Is this correct, gents?
>>
>>111908
it's hard to say
>>
>>111907
>>111902

a declared goal isn't always the real goal. You don't know much about international politics or history.
>>
>>111907
It's obvious you just googled my post and don't read shit
>>
>>111925
>>111928
>it's just twelve dimensional chess
>your too stupid to see their obvious failures as success
>>
>>111931
Is there a specific reason you hate America or are you just a racist?
>>
>>111933
Sorry m8, for anyone with half a brain it's clear to see a failed operation, even causing the chaos and disorder that you think is the real goal of the war is a failure, there's clearly a large and growing economy there, and GDP per capita in Afghanistan is over double what it was since the war began
>>
>>111937
Most people with half a brain know when to use periods.
>>
>>111946
>knowing when to use periods
>using periods
these are two different things
>>
>>111947
>I was the kid who thought "elemeno" was a letter
>>
>>111953
I think we're done here, quality posts anon
>>
>>110657

They could have won the war at half the cost by simply buying every citizen in Vietnam a 3 bed house with amenities.
>>
>>111890
What do you think the military-industrial complex is?
>>
>>111876
Do Slavs count as white, or do we get to sit back and laugh when the world shakes off white people like water off a dog?

Cause this shit, and the general ineptitude in which they run their countries and "help" the world is turning real sour, real fast.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.