[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meet the man who created the fake news about thousands of 'found'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 00fakenews1-master768[1].jpg (97KB, 768x512px) Image search: [Google]
00fakenews1-master768[1].jpg
97KB, 768x512px
http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/the-daily-briefing/2017/01/18012017---fake-ohio-news.html

>The September story about "tens of thousands" of ballots already marked for Hillary Clinton discovered in a Columbus warehouse prompted a response from the Franklin County Board of Elections, a denial from Secretary of State Jon Husted and a furor on social media.

>The photo of a balding man behind boxes marked "ballots" went viral, cited by Donald Trump supporters as evidence the election was being rigged for Clinton.

>The whole story was the product of the imagination of Cameron Harris, the New York Times reported today. It was one of several fake news pieces - including “ Hillary Clinton Blames Racism for Cincinnati Gorilla’s Death,” a story about Harambe, the gorilla shot after he grabbed a little boy who fell into his enclosure - that he estimated earned him $1,000 an hour.

>He found the much-ballyhooded ballot box photo through Google, of a worker in Birmingham, England, from a few years earlier, the Times said.

>Harris said he based the fake story in Columbus because that's where Trump several weeks earlier had warned of a "rigged" election and posted it on a website he called ChristianTimesNewspaper.com
>>
>“I had a theory when I sat down to write it,” Harris, a recent Davidson College graduate told the Times.

>“Given the severe distrust of the media among Trump supporters, anything that parroted Trump’s talking points people would click. Trump was saying ‘ rigged election, rigged election.’ People were predisposed to believe Hillary Clinton could not win except by cheating.”

>In case that was too subtle, Harris wrote the "discovery “ could allegedly be evidence of a massive operation designed to deliver Clinton the crucial swing state.”

>He told the newspaper: “Even before I posted it, I knew it would take off.”

>“At first it kind of shocked me — the response I was getting,” Harris told the Times.

>“How easily people would believe it. It was almost like a sociological experiment.”

>Harris said he was motivated by financial need, not a desire to help Trump win.

>“I spent the money on student loans, car payments and rent,” he said.
related:
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/politics_and_government/frederick-county-delegate-fires-aide-who-was-behind-website-with/article_bfa31a64-6504-538b-8f36-3c4a2d65bbba.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/us/fake-news-hillary-clinton-cameron-harris.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/aide-to-md-lawmaker-fabricated-article-on-hillary-clinton-rigging-the-election/2017/01/18/5219bd0c-ddd7-11e6-acdf-14da832ae861_story.html
>>
This will only feed more distrust of the media. The average person has no ability to verify the credibility of a story. Being a liar for money and then deceiving people has no silver lining. Yes. He lied, yes people were fooled. Yes, i have no way to verify that THIS story is true or not. No good will come from this.
>>
Neat. Hope someone looks him up and kicks his fucking ass.
>>
>>103345
I don't wish him well but he didn't technically do anything illegal.
>>
Selling a bunch of bullshit to the common man? Sounds like the American dream to me!
>>
>>103346
Isn't this libel?
>>
>>103342
>The average person has no ability to verify the credibility of a story
This is what irks me the most, he posted it on his own website christiantimesnewspaper.com

Fucks sake America
>>
>>103490
I don't think so, I think Hillary would have to show personal harm to her and her livelihood and not just her chances or aspirations to become president. Like if the guy had made up rumors about her being a lesbian or something similar, it would be libel, but false campaign claims aren't.
>>
>>103490
>>103544
The guy's fake news article didn't ever say that Hillary or her campaign did anything, just that tens of thousands of ballots marked or her were allegedly found before the election had started.
>>
>>103544
The legal challenge is actually to prove he made a defamatory statement about shillary

Injury due to defamation is so all encompassing that it is not the issue here, anon hit the nail on the head
>>103546
>>
but muh russians
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.