[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ringling Bros. circus plans to shut down 'Greatest Show

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: circus-tent-flickr-thomas-totz.jpg (69KB, 476x318px) Image search: [Google]
circus-tent-flickr-thomas-totz.jpg
69KB, 476x318px
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/15/ringling-bros-circus-plans-to-shut-down-greatest-show-on-earth-after-146-years.html

>ELLENTON, Fla. – After 146 years, the curtain is coming down on "The Greatest Show on Earth." The owner of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus told The Associated Press that the show will close forever in May.

>The iconic American spectacle was felled by a variety of factors, company executives say. Declining attendance combined with high operating costs, along with changing public tastes and prolonged battles with animal rights groups all contributed to its demise.

>"There isn't any one thing," said Kenneth Feld, chairman and CEO of Feld Entertainment. "This has been a very difficult decision for me and for the entire family."

>The company broke the news to circus employees Saturday night after shows in Orlando and Miami.

>By midcentury, the circus was routine, wholesome family entertainment. But as the 20th century went on, kids became less and less enthralled. Movies, television, video games and the internet captured young minds. The circus didn't have savvy product merchandising tie-ins or Saturday morning cartoons to shore up its image.

>"The competitor in many ways is time," said Feld, adding that transporting the show by rail and other circus quirks — such as providing a traveling school for performers' children— are throwbacks to another era. "It's a different model that we can't see how it works in today's world to justify and maintain an affordable ticket price. So you've got all these things working against it."

>The Feld family bought the Ringling circus in 1967. The show was just under 3 hours then. Today, the show is 2 hours and 7 minutes, with the longest segment — a tiger act — clocking in at 12 minutes. "Try getting a 3- or 4-year-old today to sit for 12 minutes," he said.
>>
Sad! Wahhhnimals rights group ruin more fun!
>>
I'm honestly impressed that it survived so long. I went once when I was like twelve and I felt like they were on life support even then with all of the added in crap they did to try and grab the little kids attention. RIP in peace.
>>
I saw it once when I was a kid. I remember this the most: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0B61oazFms

where else are kids going to see that now?
>>
>>100164
>where else are kids going to see that now?
>posting a youtube link
>>
>>100164
There's some acrobat show in China that has the same thing in it.
>>
This is really sad tbh
I saw the show a couple of times when I was a kid, and it amazed me since there wasn't anywhere else I could see that stuff. It's different to be able to see the stunts and animals in living color, as opposed to just watching some youtube video
The idea of local circuses and carnivals is such an antiquated idea that I was always happy that at least this one circus kept the tradition going, but now it's gone and a bunch of talented people are out of a livelihood. It feels like the end of an era and it saddens me to see people celebrating this
>>
>>100167
Lmao
>>
End of an era, but it's an opportunity for others. What better time to start a circus of your own?
>>
>>100164
On jewtube of course.

Kids capacity of feeling astonished dissapears with time. Curiously, I have the feeling that live performances will be a thing of the future once society gets bored with internet.
>>
>>100133
what year?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.