[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so the back wheel on my road bike went flat overnight so I took

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 16_Trance_275_3_Black.jpg (56KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
16_Trance_275_3_Black.jpg
56KB, 800x534px
so the back wheel on my road bike went flat overnight so I took it to the store. instead of telling me why it went flat they wanted $12.50 for the service. I said fine. Then he sold me on a new tire, I said fine. Just went for a nice long ride today and when I was still 20km from home I got a pinch flat...god damn bike store wants to charge me another $12.50 AND pay for the tube. That was a $60 purchase this morning and I had to take a cab back for another $20.

is there anything i can say or do? (other than do all my own work from now on)
>>
>>999877
Yep, start fixing your own flats, it's an easy skill all cyclists should have. Also, patch your tubes instead of replacing them, much cheaper that way.

As for whether you can demand any restitution for the shop, probably not. If you a pinch flat after a long ride that doesn't necessarily mean the shop made a mistake, chances are good that you got a small puncture and didn't notice that tire was slowly losing air, which allowed the underinflated tube to be pinch flatted.

But I will agree that 12.50 for flat repair seems overpriced (unless the flat is on the back wheel of a bike with an IGH + coaster brake, which case it could reasonably require 12.5 minutes to fix from start to finish). But then again, bike shop owners and staff have to eat too.
>>
>>999877

What tire? It cost you $47.50 for a single new tire? That's more than a GP4000SII.
>>
>>999877
You know what a pinch flat is but can't change a tube on a road bike.

This doesn't add up.
>>
>>999884
It was $37 for the tire
>>999885
At the time I was just lazy
>>
Yeah well I muscled up and did it myself...

One more question though (having never actually seen one): Could a pinch flat be just a couple tiny tiny holes? It drains the tire flat in less than 30 seconds, but I always envisioned that they would be a big tear.
>>
You need to check the tire and see if there's something like a thorn, broken glass, or a metal sliver stuck in it. If you get a flat, check the inside of the tire by running your finger on the inside of it. If you put a new tube on, and it's still there, well you are going to get a flat again.
>>
>>999877
>is there anything i can say or do?
No.
>>
>>1000552
It's a brand spanking new tire that went flat when I rode over a small bump.
>>
>>1000559
Don't forget to also check your rim for jagged protrusions and other embedded shit.
And your valvestem for bits of dirt that can cause it to leak air.

Just check everything. 20km is more than enough distance to hit a tiny sliver of glass without realizing it, or anything really.

Also, get some Gatormemes and you'll never worry about it again.
>>
>>1000562
So are the tiny holes conducive to a pinch flat or a puncture (or both)?
>>
>>1000562
Also, it happened RIGHT when I went over that bump.
>>
>>1000566
>>1000567
Does it look like a snakebite? Put it in the tub and look for the bubbles if you can't see the tears.

You can totally have a slow leak and then get a pinch flat on top of that.
Usually you won't get pinch flats if your tire is full no matter what you run over, so something probably drained the air out.

Also, always mount your tire so everything lines up with the logo. It makes diagnosing the problem infinitely easier.
>>
>>1000568
Yes it looks like a snake bite. Two small holes right next to each other (one is larger)
>>
>>999885
>You know what a pinch flat is but can't change a tube on a road bike.
>This doesn't add up.
I was wondering the exact same thing.
>>
>>1000282
>One more question though (having never actually seen one): Could a pinch flat be just a couple tiny tiny holes? It drains the tire flat in less than 30 seconds, but I always envisioned that they would be a big tear.
Two snake bite type holes is what they usually are.

Also check for spokes protruding into the rim.
>>
>>999884
GP4000IIs for less than $40 off the shelf?
Which brick-and-mortar store do you know of sells it that low?
>>
>>1000569
That's a pinch flat and it's not due to a defective tube or mechanic error, unless the mechanic put in less pressure than the tire is rated for. Riding at too low of a pressure means being at a much higher risk of pinch flats.
>>
>>1000753
It was at 105 which was what it was rated to, but im a fat ass so it's now at 120 which is the max.

we'll see tomorrow if it blows again.
>>
is that your bike? I have the same bike. been riding it for over 150hrs without one flat on the same tires. Even patched up the sidewall with gorilla tape.

Put at least 35 psi in the tire.
>>
>>1000761
No that's just a pic I had on my desktop.

It's a 2006 rocky mountain solo
>>
learn how to patch tubes too. A patched tube is just as good as a new one. it will save you a lot of money.
>>
>>1000765
Bike stores here don't sell patch kits anymore...was going to look at some online resources. Any suggestions?
>>
>>1000768
I like the topeak rescue kit. Pretty cheap too. Find it on Amazon or any online bike store.

Froogle is good for finding online stores that you didn't know about.
>>
File: rap.jpg (218KB, 1500x1950px) Image search: [Google]
rap.jpg
218KB, 1500x1950px
Just bought one of these. Pretty kool eh?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.