[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your opinion on Tannus solid tires? Has any of you used

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: tires_slider_03.jpg (191KB, 628x474px) Image search: [Google]
tires_slider_03.jpg
191KB, 628x474px
What is your opinion on Tannus solid tires? Has any of you used them before? What about bumpiness? Rolling resistance? Weight? Etc. Im thinking about getting them for my singlespeed commuter.

Thanks for the help
>>
File: Tube-Vending-Machine2[1].jpg (382KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Tube-Vending-Machine2[1].jpg
382KB, 800x600px
They are a pita to mount.

The can damage to your rim because unlike pneumatic tire,a solid one transfers all shocks to a localized part of the rim wheres a pneumatic tire more or less distributes its load over the rims entire length more or less,thats why rims can be made so light.

Pneumatic tires offer better progressive spring characteristics (eg less rollan resistance and more comfort)

I havent ridden the tannus brand but I did ride a similairly closed-cell foam solid tire,it sucked shit.

I dunno about the weight,Tannus states that their system is lighter than your "typical tire and tube" whatever that means.

Im more qurious about the grip they offer and if theres a possibility of them coming off t the rim in sharp corners.
>>
>>999855
>qurious
Welp.brb just gonna kill myself.
>>
File: aRLdDKY.jpg (84KB, 1028x963px) Image search: [Google]
aRLdDKY.jpg
84KB, 1028x963px
>>999856

Solid post though
>>
>>999855
Couldn't you distribute the shock by using aerospoke wheels and front and rear suspension?

It seems like you'd want a wheel designed to be used with foam tires like...glued on or permanently affixed.

The real problem I've heard is that they just roll like shit. Provided you could solve all the other issues, that is.
>>
File: 1447764948803.jpg (70KB, 604x603px) Image search: [Google]
1447764948803.jpg
70KB, 604x603px
>>1001646
>aerospoke wheels
>>
File: 1465799189859.jpg (23KB, 446x362px) Image search: [Google]
1465799189859.jpg
23KB, 446x362px
>>1001664
>adjusting spokes with foam tire
>>
>>1001681
You know you can turn the nipples without having to remove the tyre, right?
>>
how much do they cost?
>>
>>1001704
that's not the point but eh...this is a retarded discussion anyway
>>
>>1002921
So what is the point? Solid foam tyre or inflated rubber tyre, the procedure for adjusting spoke tension is the same.
>>
>>1001646
>distribute the shock by using aerospoke wheels
Please elaborate on this grand idea of yours. Just how do you think wheels work, again?
>>
These get invented every few years and always suck
>>
>>1002959
>>1002927
the idea is not to distribute the shock through the wheel. a problem routinely brought up with foam tires is the spokes break constantly. instead you use a more solid wheel hell skip the aerospokes and just use a solid piece of metal. the shock is instead absorbed by front and rear shocks that are tuned specifically for absorbing the wheel impact for general commuting rather than say going off road or some shit.

the idea would be to build a bomb proof commuter. of course it's retarded because solid tires roll like shit so the whole discussion is pointless.
>>
>>1003251

I wonder how super small, fat tires would do. Like 20x3.0

Stronger wheels too
>>
>>1003309
A lot of mod trial bikes run that size or close to it (the rims are actually 19" but the tyres are usually marked as 20"). I've got a 3.0 on a 32mm wide rim. Never ridden a full size fat bike to compare but it's quite fun, very squishy but really difficult to pinch flat. I'll have to measure it some time and see if it would fit on any of my mountain bikes.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.