[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently got on a bike for the first time in a while, and wo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: mountain bike.jpg (66KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
mountain bike.jpg
66KB, 600x450px
Recently got on a bike for the first time in a while, and would like to start riding more often. Would this be a good starter bike? I'm 5'10" and plan on biking on roads and down trails.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5742344234.html
>>
>>997531
get a hybrid.
>>
Yes.
>>
Entry level hardtail tier. Make sure it fits and nothing critical is missing.

>>997607
get fucked.
>>
>>997531
>18"
I converted that to cm and it's 45.72 cm. I don't know about MTBs but that would be way too small for someone who's 5'10" if it was a road bike.

Consider a flat bar road bike. Fast gearing for the road and flat bars for stability on loose gravel trails.
>>
>>997621
You are just embarrasing yourself with your ignorance anon.
>>
>>997624
Thanx for the informative post. You've helped a lot. Truly as asset!
>>
those knobby tyres would be shit on the road.

>>997621
>Consider a flat bar road bike.
this.
>>
I see the flat bar retard is back in action. And he still has no idea how to size bicycles.
>>
>>997642
Good suggestion. Your input has been helpful and you've proven to be a valuable asset to the community. Please don't die because you'll be sorely missed!
>>
OP, the sad guys who are offering no help and just getting mad at the other guys who did offer help are only mad because they have buyer's remorse after buying a MTB to commute on the road with. They know they should have bought a flat bar road bike instead so they get triggered every time they see that suggested here.

Don't let that happen to you.
Get a flat bar road bike.
>>
>>997658
You should get a road bike and an MTB. Trying to get the best of both means you'll be forever disappointed in every application.

If you're just commuting on road you can pick up really cheap road bikes that will do the job just fine - assuming it's not a 100 mile commute or something.
>>
>>997658
This has got to be /o/ meming us. Mountain bike conversions have been a primary option for /n/ since Acela replaced Metroliner service.
>>
>Flat bar road bike
Is this some sort of ruse?
>>
>>997697
Flat bar road bike are only for people who think drop bars look scary.
>>
>>997708
>Flat bar road bike are only for people who think drop bars look scary.
Yet somehow it's still the only suggestion in this thread. You people need to take a long flat bar look at yourselves and evaluate your priorities.

>>997531
>plan on biking on roads and down trails.
I'd suggest the mention of trails is due to a newbie fear of riding on the road so OP may want to practice on light trails away from the danger of the road until he can gather some experience and confidence. Then when he rides on the road more often he'll want a bike that's comfortable, efficient and fast enough to keep pace.
Then, later on, if he decides to upgrade he can keep the FBR as a dedicated commuter or sell it. If he does the latter then there will be more affordable FBRs available to other people considering taking up cycling but don't want to jump straight onto a multi-thousand dollar carbon race bike, or anything that looks uncomfortable or aggressive.
Then, with more cyclists on the road there'll be more incentive for governments to invest in cycling infrastructure which improves life for everyone.

Ergo: The smarter choice.
Reminder: Still the only option presented to OP.
>>
90s rigid MTB with slicks
>>
File: flat bar.jpg (8KB, 179x281px) Image search: [Google]
flat bar.jpg
8KB, 179x281px
>>997669
>Mountain bike conversions have been a primary option for /n/ since Acela replaced Metroliner service.
It's time to hang up the boots, old man. The cycling world has evolved and left you and your archaic inefficiencies behind.

Flat Bar Road Bike: King of the Road!
>>
>>997723
>shitposter
>is a fa/tv/irgin
Color me impressed
>>
>>997658
Nobody should buy a flat bar road bike.
>>
>>997711
>Yet somehow it's still the only suggestion in this thread.
Because we have a hopeless neet with more Boardmans than he has a life that can afford to sit at home wearing put his F5 button - only searching for an opportunity to post about his hybrid. Sorry, "flat bar road bike".
And then a bunch of funny cunts turning it into a meme.

There would be more suggestions if OP had originally provided an idea about what type of riding he meant to do, and how much he could afford to spend.
>>
>>997725
>>997764
>>997779
Great help and suggestions, guys. I'm sure that OP is really grateful for your presence. I know am!!

>>997779
>Boardman
You keep trying to force that meme but it's not happening.

>>997779
>There would be more suggestions if OP had originally provided an idea about what type of riding he meant to do,
>>997531
>plan on biking on roads and down trails

>>997779
>and how much he could afford to spend.
The craigslist link that OP posted has a bike for sale. Do you think it's possible that the price of that bike is roughly the amount of money that OP wants to spend? I mean, is it a possibility? Are you even interested in assisting OP are are you only concerned with winning a pointless and irrelevant internet argument?

OP, I think it's fairly obviously who the smartest person in the thread is.
This is the bike for you: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5747508380.html
>2015 black Jamis Allegro Sport, very clean and in excellent condition.
>19 inch frame (I'm 5'10" and seat is at mid post)
>24 speed Shimano components
>Recently serviced at dealer
And just to show that I'm not completely biased towards flat bar road bikes (though I honestly believe it would be the best bike for you right now), for $100 more than the other bike you could consider this:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5735422166.html
But it would take some getting used to and may not be great on the trails that you have in mind.

God speed and good luck.
I did make an effort to encourage others to offer their own suggestions but, well. Nobody cares like I do.
>>
Boardman owner here, none of the previous posts are mine. I feel honoured to have inspired such talented shitposters, keep up the good work.

>>997531
How rough are these trails? Until we know that we can't make any suggestions, you may be fine riding them on a fully rigid bike with skinny tyres (flat bar road bike) or you may require some fat knobbies and at least front suspension.
>>
>>997854
I have a good amount of parks near me so i want to bike to the parks, which is 10 miles or less. Then i want to use it to go down the walking paths and the rougher bike trails.
>>
>>997866
Well, for that short a distance a hardtail with chunky tyres won't tire you out too much. If that's going to be mostly the extent of your road riding then something like the bike you're looking at would be fine.
>>
>>997792
>OP, I think it's fairly obvious who the most autistic person in the thread is.
Ftfy.

Good post until you patted yourself on the back for being top 4chinner
>>
>>997792
I messaged the guy about the Jamis allegro sport and got him down to $350. Is it a good deal?
>>
We've covered all this before, but once again for the new guy.

The two acceptable stock answers are the old steel 10 speed, and the 90's steel mountain bikes, mostly because they're plentiful in most used markets.

On any mountain bike that you're using on mostly road, swap out the tires for slicks or semi slicks.

>Flat bar road bike
Genuine flat bar road bikes, as in road drivetrains, and frames are generally crap. If want to actually go fast, you want an aero position and a lower center of gravity. If you want an upright riding position, you should start with a frame designed for that, like the mountain bike frames.

Hybrids are generally shitheaps, but acceptable for short range, casual riding. Avoid crappy suspension.

>http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5742344234.html
Acceptable. Pretty good price. The person who said it's the wrong size needs to understand that road and mtb sizing is different, or at least how to use a size chart.

A quick look at your CL shows that the old ten speeds are all gone. So, you're looking for good quality mountain bikes and hybrids. Good front or no suspension.

>http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5747508380.html
Acceptable. Mediocre price. MSRP is only a bit over 500.

>http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5735422166.html
This is the wrong bike for you, as it's a dedicated road bike. The price is very good. Suspiciously good. There's no specs but the frame alone is probably worth 500.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5751295267.html
90's mtb. Mediocre price. Was like 450 or so when new.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5749085576.html
Maybe too big.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5731376329.html
Probably too small, but the seller hasn't posted the actual size. More of a commuter type.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5722599405.html
Marin Muirwood. Good price, probably too small.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.