[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>1672, man created first reflecting telescope >1879, man

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: 1466131372465.png (247KB, 432x313px) Image search: [Google]
1466131372465.png
247KB, 432x313px
>1672, man created first reflecting telescope
>1879, man created a working light bulb
>1940, man creates oven that can cremate a human body in 1.1 minute (admittedly, a technology lost to time)
>1945, man made nuclear fission into a weapon through the first atom bomb
>1969, man walked on the moon
>1980, man made Glock 17, a handgun that can be mastered by simple-minded people
>2014, man successfully lands probe on asteroid
>2016, mankind still has no idea how to make a flatless bicycle tire

It's honestly getting to the point where I'm thinking of just dropping cycling. I want to make this a commuter option for my job starting in a few weeks but I can not stomach the idea of stopping to change a tire every 10-20 miles. It takes all the fun out of it, my work out comes to a hault, and I might as well just take the bus if it's going to cost $6 per tube per day.
>inb4 lrn 2 rid fgt
The LBS set up my tires (gatorskin) the last time because I thought it was just me but this round only lasted 30 miles before I got my current flats.

So help me out, /n/. Is there something I'm missing or is this sport only for people who can afford it?
>>
>>997156
1. Flats are much less expensive if you patch your tubes instead of replacing them.
2. Out of curiosity, were your flats pinch flats, or did you manage to puncture a brand new Gatorskin? If pinch flats, the problem may be that you're not checking tire pressure before you ride.
3. Personally I go hundreds of miles between flats, part of that comes from riding wider tires (lower surface pressure lowers the risk of punctures), but I also scan the pavement as I ride and stay out of gutters and know to avoid riding through fields of thorny plants.
>>
u r a faget. there is at 3 brands of solid tubes/tires out there, not to mention tubeless options. you also have schwalbe professional bike tires.
>>
>gatorskins

That's your problem.

Get some real tires (like nice, folding panaracers with a protection strip or something) or go tubeless. Preferably, tubeless. It's a world of difference.

Not surprisingly, shitball tires mean you'll have shitball amounts of flats.
>>
>100 Rema F1 patches are about $20
>Big tube of rubber cement about $4
Will last you for years. Patched tubes are every bit as reliable as a brand new tube. Just about every tube I own has at least 1 patch on it. I carry a spare tube or two, then patch punctured ones when I get home.

You should check to see where your tube is punctured. If it is on the inside of the tube, your rim tape is fucked.

You should also check the inside of the tire when swapping tubes to be sure what punctured the tube isn't still in there. Fine wire from car tire belting is common, or a piece of glass embedded in the tire.
>>
File: Rhett.jpg (9KB, 250x405px) Image search: [Google]
Rhett.jpg
9KB, 250x405px
>>1940, man creates oven that can cremate a human body in 1.1 minute (admittedly, a technology lost to time)

I see what you did there.
>>
When patching you'll also need a piece of sand paper for roughing up the tube surface. Helps clear talc powder / mold release agent residue out of the way to ensure a good patch bond. The rubber cement should also be allowed to haze over before applying the patch.
>>
>>997157
Dude, a flat every 10-20 miles? You're doing something reeeeeallly wrong. For perspective, I've only gotten 4 flats in the last ~1500 miles

>Giant rusty nail that punched through the center of the tread and then diagonally out the sidewall, fucked both the tire and tube irreparably.
>1/8" long slice down the center of the tread in a tubeless road tire, literally spraying sealant as I rode. Stopped, oriented the wheel with the slice at the bottom, and it sealed right up. Still riding this tire.
>Very minor puncture in the tube, never figured out what did it - not a punchflat/snakebite, never found something pierced though the tire. Patched in ~10 minutes, still using this tube.
>Bombing down a fire road, caught a rut wrong, blew out the tube on impact and badly dented the rim. (does this even count?)

So, you're doing something wrong. Let's find out together.

What are you getting punctures on? Glass? Sharp gravel? Thorns? Something else entirely? Are you checking your tires for debris before re-mounting them after punctures?

Are you getting pinch flats? What pressure do you run your tires at? How often do you check?

Where are you getting punctures? On the underside of the tube, against the rim? Have you checked your rim tape for issues?

What width tires are you running?
>>
>>997157
This >>997161
-There was recently even a thread of the new Specialized with airless tubes. >>993744
-use tubeless setup with latex slime inside. Do u even mtb, bro?
-if you don't want Schwalbe Professional Tyres Marathon Plus or Mondial or similars, I can recommend Continental GP 4Seasons. I've only got flats once in 2000-3000 miles when the tires need to be replaced.

Sage for retard
>>
What is everyone's thoughts on self-sealing tubes? I guess it functions like tubeless without having to go the full tubeless set up?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/airlock-presta-valve-tube/117959
>>
>>997196
>https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/airlock-presta-valve-tube/117959
You go tubeless to save weight instead of tubes. Using sealant and tubes at the same time defeats the purpose
>>
File: img.png (174KB, 304x304px) Image search: [Google]
img.png
174KB, 304x304px
>2016 23/8/16, Op made another shitty thread

>change a tire every 10-20 miles
Thats normal if you're Dutch,but not if you're normal.

>The LBS set up my tires (gatorskin) the last time because I thought it was just me but this round only lasted 30 miles before I got my current flats.
Gatormaymays kek

>So help me out, /n/. Is there something I'm missing or is this sport only for people who can afford it?
Yes because everyone changes a tube 3 times on a single ride kek.

1)Determine the cause of the flats,if it's glass or other objects piercing the tire and subsequently the tube,git better(Schwalbe)tires,the best a man can get.
If its not,learn how to change a tube properly and look for burrs in the rim,distorted/misplaced rim tape and other possible causes.

2)Inflate to the right pressure
I have a strong feeling your monkey LBS cant even read a pressure gauge so make sure its AT LEAST within the recommendation on the sidewall

3)???
Enjoy many,many flat-less miles like the Schwalbe masterrace.
>>
>>997157
It's not a priority that should exist.
>>
>>997196
Never had any real luck with slimed tubes on my mountain bike back in the day, they just made a mess and then were harder to patch. Maybe modern sealants work better.

>>997207
I absolutely went tubeless to avoid punctures. Self-sealing tires are amazing. The fact that they're lighter and have less rolling resistance was just gravy on top.
>>
>>997157
>be me, almost one year of commute (few thousands of km) without puncture with 10€ road tires
>rear tire is completely worn out, decide to replace it with a puncture protect tire
>ride it 2 weeks, get a sudden flat at the rear and at the worst time ever
>"muh puncture protect"
>there was a razor sharp 1cm big fragment of glass in my tire

well, no puncture protection was going to protect me from that anyway....
>>
>>997231
I have seen a puncture that even lord Schwalbe couldn't have prevented.
Some piece of rusty metal,straight through the tire,tube(2 sides),rimtape and through the fucking steel rim.
>>
>>997157
>>2016, mankind still has no idea how to make a flatless bicycle tire
Well, my schwalbe marathon pluses are running for nearly 8k km without a single one (1) puncture or flat and I ride them everywhere (although minding glass, loose drain/sewer/manhole covers and all them curbs).
>>
Okay, I'm thinking the marathon plus and this
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1168011_-1_400905__400905

combined should be able to get through the wretched city streets, yes? If not then it's time to go tubeless?
>>
I had two schwalbe roket ron tires on my new mtb. The back tire got slashed open by sharp stones on the outside wall within a month. The front tire got fucked by some sticks in the wood.
Schwalbe is shit tier.
>>
>>997164
Fuck off retard, I've been riding memeskins for the last 50k miles and I get flats maybe once every 3-5k miles. This is in a filthy, potholed city with glass everywhere

You just need to keep your pressure up and it's not a problem

Op is probably overweight and never uses his pump
>>
They could easily, it would just be heavy and expensive.
>>
>>997261
There's no point in buying "puncture resistant" tubes. Anything that manages to go through your tire will obviously go through the tube with ease.
>>
>>997318
Unless what caused the puncture is inside the the tire or rim.
>>
>>997157
you must be very fat

I got 2 flats in 6000+ km, and one of those was because a big ass nail pierced my tyre all the way to the rim.

And I dont exactly ride on smooth roads either, a lot of gravel and I have often hit massive potholes. You are seriously doing something very wrong.
>>
>>997235
how oblivious do you have to be to ride over something like that, like come on
>>
>>997289
Yeah, the plus size Schwalbe tires are garbage, WTB is the way to go.
>>
>>997157
I already know how to make a flatless bicycle tire. Solid fucking rubber. Enjoy the extra weight, faggot.
>OP doesn't fill up his tires to the recommended tire pressure before each ride
>OP re-uses patched tubes with shit-tier patch job
>OP then complains to /n/ about his faggotry
OP confirmed massive dicksucking faggot.
>>
>>997181
I've gotten 0 flats in the last 1500 miles
I used to get flats all the time when I used shitty tires and rode at too low of pressure
>>
>>997321
Then make sure the tire, rimstrip, rim, and tube are free of debris before putting it together

also OP is a fatass who rides at 20psi lol
>>
>>997492
>implying competence
No but muh tire brand wars
>>
>>997157
You're fucking fat and stupid. Learn how to use a tire pump.
>>
>>997157
how about tannus tyres? whats the /n/ concensus on that?
>>
>>997157
Here's what your problem is: You're not a very good rider. You're not paying attention to where you're going, and/or you're going off the pavement, so OF COURSE you get flats all the time. Stay on the pavement, pay attention to what is ON the pavement, don't run over things at all, ever, and STFU about when you get punctures, EVERYONE gets their share of them, just STFU and put up with it like everyone else does.
/thread
/thread
/thread
/thread
/thread
>>
>>997566
Calm down sperg.
>>
>>997157
Try with more pressure. Low pressure can bust tubes pretty easily. Specially if they are low tier shit.

And if your tires are actually that damaged then change them.

Oh, you don't need to go to your LBS for that, do you have a pump? Then buy the stuff and do it at home.
>>
>>998257
And this:
>>997566
Pay attention to the road.
>>
File: gallery08-copy-630x419.jpg (49KB, 630x419px) Image search: [Google]
gallery08-copy-630x419.jpg
49KB, 630x419px
>>997561
MOTHERFUCKERS THE QUESTION
>>
>>997561
i doubt that anyone here has used them. i'm curious about them too but desu it soudns like they're such a pain in the dick to mount and unmount that you have to more or less sacrifice a pair of rims to them
>>
>>999167
>>997561
Solid tires have two major problems:
1. They can't dampen impacts as effectively as a pneumatic tube, this leads to a loss of grip, which makes it much more likely you'll skid (and probably crash) during hard braking or cornering.
2. Solid tubes can only be optimized for narrow weight range - if the solid tire is too firm you'll get a bone-jarring ride, if the tire is too soft you'll get a lot of rolling resistance. Tannus offers tires in a couple different levels of firmness, which addresses this problem - but only if you're sure you're never going to loan your bike to someone lighter/heavier than you or want to carry some extra heavy cargo. With pneumatic tubes you can adjust your tire pressure, with solid tubes you're stuck with a single setting.
>>
>>997566
> only pavement

What a sad man you must be, if you can only ride on the pavement.

Where is the fun in cycling if your freedums are only real on a thin stretch of asphalt and the sweet, sweet bliss beckoning from either side is just a siren's call to you, luring you to your doom.

How on earth can you sustain your enjoyment of cycling if you voluntarily restrict yourself to literal tunnel vision because of shitty tire choices.
>>
>>999243
Cyclocross?
>>
>>999182
And they aren't fixed to the rim by internal pressure and being solid they transmit all the sideways force into a twisting motion on the rubber "anchor" rather than shifting like pneumatic tyres do. So I'd imagine peeling one off in a tight corner is not very hard to do at all. wouldnotride/10
>>
>>997311
No you fuck off, gatorskins are literally cancer tyres, they have no milage, slow as fuck, cuts like butter and expensive as fuck.
I rode as a bike messenger for 2 years and probably rode more in that period than you ever will.
The biggest mistake I ever did was buying gatorskins too expensive, you can get cheaper brands that offer a better riding experience and won't cause flats every so often and if it actually gets worn out you can replace it for 1/3rd of the price.
see you later cunt.
>>
>>999937
Yes one thing about memeskins is the blown sidewalls problem that you see on BSOs with badly set up rim brakes. You see this on messenger bikes a lot

OTOH if you're not riding BSO messenger death traps, they're good tires
>>
File: 1455717431914.jpg (25KB, 498x412px) Image search: [Google]
1455717431914.jpg
25KB, 498x412px
>>999942
>messenger bikes
>brakes
>>
>>999943
That is a fat dog.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.