[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone shipped a bike internationally? I'm trying to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Has anyone shipped a bike internationally? I'm trying to get a bike from Sicily to California. The bike is under 12kg and I can get a bike box no problem. The real problem is that I'm going to Munich after Sicily and I'm trying to decide if I should just travel with it in the box (leave it with my friend in Munich) and fly it back with me from Munich to California (layovers in London and Canada). What are the duty fees I'll need to pay if there are any? It's a used road bike from the 60s if it matters. I figured maybe it's a different set of rules for used goods. Shipping via UPS, DHL, Fedex seems way more expensive with my initial search.
>>
>It's a used road bike from the 60s

You're going to pay more in shipping fees than the bike is worth you mong. Trash it and just buy a new one wherever you end up.
>>
>>990539

I'm not concerned about the value of the bike itself, I just really would like to have a bike from my time in Sicily/Italy. Thanks for your useful tips, excellent use of green text.

It's looking like it'd be like 150 euro to get it to Cali if I take it with me when I fly but I'm not sure about duty fees/taxes or whatever. Does it apply in my case?

>btw it's a De Rosa
>>
>>990548
My only experience is buying shit from chinese exporters, but generally in the US you won't get hit with any import tax so long as the item is under $5k or so, and isn't something that will piss off the FDA like dairy products.

Although this was stuff like flashlights/batteries and a tablet- not something as large as a bike. I heard DHL can be a pain in the ass though.

The fact its used won't make a difference.
>>
Just buy some clunker wherever you go then sell it when you leave
>>
Italy to Munich is inside the EU, so there arenĀ“t any duty fees at all. No idea about your other questions though.
>>
>>990521
Take it in the plane with you. I flew from France to Canada with an old bike. Wrapped it in pipe insulation and taped a cardboard box to the rear derailleur. Survived fine. Cost 100$ CAD as luggage. They threw it when it arrived though. But no problems. If you have layovers probably more expensive.

Just check the airlines. Don't ship it.
>>
You own the thing. You only pay duties when you've bought something. If you're not staying longer than 2 weeks might wanna look into renting a bike.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.