[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any reliable, or bad experiences with using clipless for riding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 2276135312_c12d9eb919.jpg (127KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
2276135312_c12d9eb919.jpg
127KB, 500x332px
any reliable, or bad experiences with using clipless for riding fixed? I recently put together a nice NJS build after 10 years of not riding fixed, and prior to that I've always just used clips/straps. I've raced road and mtb for about 6 years now so i'm completely familiar with clipless. I did once have my foot pop out in a sprint on my road bike, although i had crappy old Look pedals at that time. so, are they pretty safe for skidding? thanks.
>>
I used bmx straps (specificly orgin8) durable n can wear street shoes cuz i used my fixie for commuting and just poking around,

if u gotta go fast by all means use your road shoes
>>
If you unclip sprinting you will most likely get thrown otb by your other pedal so there's that
>>
>>990263
clipless is fine if you have awareness of the physics of riding a fixed gear. i assume you can trackstand indefinitely at this point as well, so you're not just going to stop and plop everywhere. give it a shot, just take it slow while your muscle memory works out how to fixed gear bicycle.
>>
>>990263
I don't ride track (although I'm interested; no velodrome close enough though) but I've been riding road for years and years with clipless pedals, and have never used toe cages before -- but I can't see how clipless would be any less safe than toe cages. Sure can't see how platform pedals could ever be used on a fixed-gear bike, if you were descending and your feet ever came off the pedals, you're screwed.
>>
Clipless is ideal for fixed gear. Preferably SPD-SL
>>
>>990375
I think they use toe cages with shoes that are made them in velodromes so you don't have to worry about unclipping
>>
>>990274
What are bmx straps? No bmx rider I've ever seen has worn any kind of straps.
>>
>>990375
No big deal, you can just use your front brake :^)
>>
>>990410
This
Belt and braces as they say but better not being able to unclip than to unclip by accident at 60k!
>>
Years ago I was riding a friends fixie bike that used straps on the pedals. I had always used clipless road shoes so I was completely unfamiliar with his setup. Anyways, I'm speeding along downhill at probably 20 mph when suddenly the fucking seat post just flies out. The guy had chopped his seat post short for "muh grams" but it was no longer long enough for the clamp to properly hold it in. So here I am without a seat or a freewheel on a downward hill. I start bouncing up and down, my feet cruelly locked into the pedals by two thick red straps and my ass unsupported by the now ejected seat. My feet spinning around at a thousand rpms while my ass beats up and down on the seat clamp smashing my tight little asshole into a pummelled mess. I ended up crashing and the bike went for a skid along with me, nearly resulting in me getting brain damage.

I'll never trust that fucker or straps ever again.
>>
>>990263
i'll put cages on my track bike when i'll be using it to bike around to the bar or to the park to hang out, but for anything else I'll switch the cages for a pair of time atac.

In general you should not skid as it fucks up your tires but if you have you'll definitely never clip out of time atacs unless you whip it like crazy and your cleats are super used or something.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.